What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tyrod Taylor, NYJ (2 Viewers)

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said Tyrod Taylor (ribs) gives the Chargers "the best chance to win."

"I know we can win with either quarterback," Lynn said, "but the veteran quarterback right now gives us the best chance to win. It’s not like we won the damn game yesterday. We lost last time I checked.” Herbert was impressive in his debut, completing 22-of-33 passes for 311 yards while breathing life into an offense that appeared dreadful in Week 1, but Lynn is clearly having none of it. Assuming Taylor is cleared from his injection gone awry, he'll be under center in Week 3 against the Panthers. Herbert would qualify as the week's top streamer if given the nod.

RELATED: 

Justin Herbert

SOURCE: Jeff Miller on Twitter

Sep 21, 2020, 5:28 PM ET

Is it too late to give a vote to Anthony Lynn in worst coach thread? What a fool.
It could just be coach-speak, but he is a fool if he thinks Tyrod Taylor gives them a better chance to win this season than Herbert.  They are destined for 6-10 if they go with Taylor (thanks to their D being good enough to get them some wins).

Yeah, but regardless of his reaction to the injection, bottom line is that Lynn would be an idiot (or possibly tanker?) to allow Tyrod to start again. It's a fireable offense based on what we know now. 

Record doesn't matter. Tyrod beat the Bengals, Herbert faced the Chiefs.

Tyrod is a proven bad QB. You just drafted a guy in the early first round who had a nice game first up. It would be ridiculous to go back to Tyrod. 

Record doesn't matter. Tyrod beat the Bengals, Herbert faced the Chiefs.

Tyrod is a proven bad QB. You just drafted a guy in the early first round who had a nice game first up. It would be ridiculous to go back to Tyrod. 
On the Athletic’s Fantasy Football Podcast they said (paraphrasing) “You draft a rookie QB and sit him behind a guy like Tyrod Taylor until the rookie looks like....Justin Herbert looked yesterday.” What’s the point of playing a guy like Taylor when he’ll clearly never be a franchise QB when Herbert has shown that the moment is too big for him and he COULD be the franchise QB?

If I had a defense-orientated team that just needed a dependable caretaker at quarterback, I'd stick with Taylor.

But the Chargers are not that kind of team. They need a guy willing to take risks and throw the ball downfield.

If I had a defense-orientated team that just needed a dependable caretaker at quarterback, I'd stick with Taylor.

But the Chargers are not that kind of team. They need a guy willing to take risks and throw the ball downfield.
They should be looking for a playmaker rather than a game manager.

They actually have a high-quality defense. They also have a really good stable of running backs to lean on. But neither of those things matter here.

Herbert got a surprise start in his first-ever game against the defending champs and looked more impressive than Tyrod ever has in his ten-year career. Parking the better, younger player behind the veteran makes no sense when you saw what the rookie brought to the table.

They actually have a high-quality defense. They also have a really good stable of running backs to lean on. But neither of those things matter here.

Herbert got a surprise start in his first-ever game against the defending champs and looked more impressive than Tyrod ever has in his ten-year career. Parking the better, younger player behind the veteran makes no sense when you saw what the rookie brought to the table.
Right, if Herbert can play like that against KC in a surprise start, there is a chance the Chargers win some games this year and compete in a tough division. With Tyrod, it's capped at about 8 wins at best. 

Right, if Herbert can play like that against KC in a surprise start, there is a chance the Chargers win some games this year and compete in a tough division. With Tyrod, it's capped at about 8 wins at best. 
I don't think they win 8 games with Tyrod. They got a win in week 1, but that was against the worst team in the NFL last year, starting a rookie QB in his first game, with no preseason games, and the win required the opposing PK to miss an easy FG that would have put it into OT. A win is a win, so great that they won. But they were extremely lucky to win, and Tyrod's QB play was a big reason why they needed to be extremely lucky. If Tyrod is healthy and starts the next 14 games, I doubt the Chargers win more than 5 of them... and, if that happens, Lynn should be fired.

I don't think they win 8 games with Tyrod. They got a win in week 1, but that was against the worst team in the NFL last year, starting a rookie QB in his first game, with no preseason games, and the win required the opposing PK to miss an easy FG that would have put it into OT. A win is a win, so great that they won. But they were extremely lucky to win, and Tyrod's QB play was a big reason why they needed to be extremely lucky. If Tyrod is healthy and starts the next 14 games, I doubt the Chargers win more than 5 of them... and, if that happens, Lynn should be fired.
I agree which is why I side at best. 

Tyrod won a road game, rookie lost at home. 
Which one gives Lynn what he wants and gives the team the best chance to make the playoffs?
Tyrod won a road game against the team that was (a) worst in the NFL last season, (b) was starting a rookie QB in his first game with no preseason, and (c) was without one of its best defensive players (Atkins). And that win required the opposing PK to miss an easy FG that would have put the game into OT.

Herbert lost a home game in OT against the defending champs, after learning he was going to start 10 minutes before kickoff.

If you truly cannot see which outing was more impressive, I can't help you. :shrug:  

Let me also point out that home vs. road doesn't mean nearly as much through these 2 games as it would in a normal season.

As for which QB gives Lynn what he wants, my reaction is that what Lynn wants isn't necessarily what is best for the team. We've seen that repeatedly during his tenure. So it doesn't carry much weight with me. YMMV

And that is referring to the short term, i.e., 2020. If "what Lynn wants" = Tyrod, then it is not only hurting the team in 2020, it is also hurting the team beyond 2020 IMO. Herbert just showed he can play at this level. Given that, the best thing for the team's future is to give him reps so they can see if he is their legit QBOTF. They know Tyrod isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Presumably he was using a standard syringe not a wooden stake so I'm wondering what the actual consequence is. Anyone here with the medical knowledge to comment on this?

JFC, only the Chargers. Hope Tyrod is ok. 

If I were in his shoes, I'm not playing another down for them. 

Is Dr. Nick the team doctor?

Wow. That must be a scenario for malpractice? Imagine Tyrod can sue for loss of wages since his status as a starter long term is in jeopardy. I have Tyrod. Wondering what a timetable is for this. Not an injury that happens often if ever in football?

I’m not a doc but have some knowledge on this sorta thing. Not sure if this is the case with him but depending on how big the puncture was, it leaks air out into the chest cavity which puts pressure on the lung and will eventually collapse or partially collapse it. 

A syringe is really tiny so hopefully it didn’t happen or get anywhere close to this bad but yeah, pretty awful.

LOL @ this doctor's history. How did he even have this job?

Actually now that I think about it, I'm sure an independent investigator will meet with the team and say Tyrod looked agitated on the sidelines and deem the injection a good shot.

Presumably he was using a standard syringe not a wooden stake so I'm wondering what the actual consequence is. Anyone here with the medical knowledge to comment on this?
I'm a doc.  He was presumably doing an intercostal nerve block.   You are injecting an anesthetic a few mm from the lung.   Pneumothorax is a known and obvious occasional complication of the procedure.  Doesn't mean he "screwed up"    Not every complication from a procedure is an error or malpractice.   Sounds like he had a small pneumo that didn't need a chest tube.   The best thoracic surgeon in the world could have been doing the procedure and still caused a pneumo (rarely)

I'm a doc.  He was presumably doing an intercostal nerve block.   You are injecting an anesthetic a few mm from the lung.   Pneumothorax is a known and obvious occasional complication of the procedure.  Doesn't mean he "screwed up"    Not every complication from a procedure is an error or malpractice.   Sounds like he had a small pneumo that didn't need a chest tube.   The best thoracic surgeon in the world could have been doing the procedure and still caused a pneumo (rarely)
On a scale of 1-to-OMFG!, how painful would that be? 

On a scale of 1-to-OMFG!, how painful would that be? 
Not that painful usually.  A lot of people with a spontaneous pneumothorax (happens in some people without trauma or a procedure like this) only have minimal pain when they take a deep breath.   They usually come in with shortness of breath, not really for pain.

Whatever his underlying rib injury is almost certainly way more painful than the pneumothorax.    Medically speaking, this thing isn't really a big deal.  He probably had a tiny pneumo, had a repeat chest xray after 4-6 hours that showed it wasn't getting bigger, and was discharged.   It's only being made a big deal because its an NFL QB and he couldn't play.  For instance people get pneumos after lung biopsies and rarely need chest tubes.   Just saw this situation last week coincidentally, but this patient had a persistent small pneumo a week after the biopsy so I put a small tube in.  He was being followed with every other day chest xrays after a biopsy and finally the lung doc just decided he would be better off with a tube 

Wow. That must be a scenario for malpractice? Imagine Tyrod can sue for loss of wages since his status as a starter long term is in jeopardy. I have Tyrod. Wondering what a timetable is for this. Not an injury that happens often if ever in football?
Schefter retweeted something saying that the CBA bars players from suing for mistakes made during team provided treatment.

Schefter retweeted something saying that the CBA bars players from suing for mistakes made during team provided treatment.
Also per our resident doc above it sounds like a pretty common occurrence & not something that would be considered malpractice regardless. 

This really sucks for Tyrod’s career prospects and there isn’t much he can do about it. He was always a bridge to Herbert, obviously...but he had a chance to earn his next potential starting opportunity (and paycheck) until then, and it’s rare for a journeyman QB like him to get these chances. 

LOL @ this doctor's history. How did he even have this job?

Actually now that I think about it, I'm sure an independent investigator will meet with the team and say Tyrod looked agitated on the sidelines and deem the injection a good shot.
That’s not their current doctor, that’s their previous doctor who for some reason is a popular twitter personality now with fantasy football owners, @profootballdoc or something like that. Dr. Chao.

For good reason, that guy is human garbage. It’s almost unbelievable the following he’s amassed and that the first reply to every one of his tweets isn’t a reference to the awful behavior and in some cases actual crimes he got away with. 
Yeah that's interesting, I know a little bit about him as well, though just one anecdote. - It's the power of social media. But on the other hand, look where they are. 

The Saints also had a couple players basically damaged by their medical staff a while back too, this might happen elsewhere.

Talked to my brother who's going to med school right now and he tells me depending on what ribs Taylor had broken and how deep the needle had to go that a doctor accidentally piercing the lung is a fairly common accident.

Tyrod Taylor (lung) is out for Week 3 against the Panthers.

Justin Herbert will fill in for Taylor, who may have watched his starting job get taken from him last week while in a hospital bed for no fault of his own. The Chargers medical staff accidentally punctured his lung while giving him a pain injection an hour before Week 2. Taylor could be ready to return for Week 4, but if Herbert plays as well as he did last week, we'd assume the Chargers stick with their first-round rookie despite coach Anthony Lynn's soft spot for the bridge quarterback.

Sep 25, 2020, 7:24 PM ET

That just really stinks. I'm sure there are a lot of people pulling for Herbert for reasons to do with fantasy, but how he's gotten his chance is right there with some of the worst of them, severity notwithstanding. Your own medical staff punctures your lung because you're gutting out a rib shot to go play? Terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread