What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Michael Penix Jr., ATL (1 Viewer)

And you're preaching to the choir about needing multiple quarterbacks.

I thought Chicago should have kept Justin Fields, even before they gave him away for absolutely nothing. That was an incredibly unpopular opinion. I also thought Washington was stupid to trade away Howell.

But keeping a solid quarterback on a rookie contract or signing a serviceable vet on a cheap contract is far different than Cousins.

It was very interesting that the Raiders/Vikings/Falcons (that we know of) preferred Penix to McCarthy, according to the internet.

As a Falcon fan...I've been off the bandwagon for quite some time. I thought they moved on from Matt Ryan WAY too late and always felt they held him in higher regard than the rest of the league. And the Arthur Smith era was a dumpster fire pretty much from the get-go. In short, I don't think the Falcons have been honest with themselves as a franchise as to who they are actually are. 78-101 since appearing in the 2012 NFCCG.

When they signed Cousins, I thought 'more of the same'. He takes a franchise that has been a bottom feeder franchise aside from 1 aberration of a season to 'high-mid'. On a year to year basis and then when that year pops up...lets get back into the QB game. Fact is they aren't winning a SB IMO with Cousins.

Yes, Penix likely sits until 2026...but if he winds up starting that first year at the age of 26, then we're talking at least a decade of being a franchise QB if he turns into that. And most people very much like the player.

As a Falcon fan...I've been off the bandwagon for quite some time. I thought they moved on from Matt Ryan WAY too late and always felt they held him in higher regard than the rest of the league. And the Arthur Smith era was a dumpster fire pretty much from the get-go. In short, I don't think the Falcons have been honest with themselves as a franchise as to who they are actually are. 78-101 since appearing in the 2012 NFCCG.

When they signed Cousins, I thought 'more of the same'. He takes a franchise that has been a bottom feeder franchise aside from 1 aberration of a season to 'high-mid'. On a year to year basis and then when that year pops up...lets get back into the QB game. Fact is they aren't winning a SB IMO with Cousins.

Yes, Penix likely sits until 2026...but if he winds up starting that first year at the age of 26, then we're talking at least a decade of being a franchise QB if he turns into that. And most people very much like the player.
I thought about you DirtyWord when I was drafting for Atlanta in the mock we did last month.
I went Dejean-Jenkins and would have gone Payton Wilson vs Jenkins but Trav snagged him 1 pick ahead of me.
I never thought they were going Dallas Turner at Edge, I just didn't foresee them going Penix after taking Cousins

Seems many talking heads have digested this pick and aren't as against it as they were at the start.

I feel the same way... Have we gotten SO used to rookie QBs having to start that anyone having to sit a year or two is now a 'blown pick"? This could be the absolute best thing for him if he takes time tofully heal, learn the league, gain experience from a good NFL qb who seems to be a great teammate...

I dunno... Cousins COULD give way as early as next season. At that point, does it really matter you're giving him his final guaranteed payment? it's the NFL, money doesnt actually matter... If the QB play next season is good (under penix) then it's basically like you're paying him the cash, and cousins the rookie money.

Not ideal. not perfect. But if you have yourself a good team and a starting QB, none of that really matters... And next april they're likely picking mid to mid/later in the draft anyways.

Seems many talking heads have digested this pick and aren't as against it as they were at the start.

I feel the same way... Have we gotten SO used to rookie QBs having to start that anyone having to sit a year or two is now a 'blown pick"? This could be the absolute best thing for him if he takes time tofully heal, learn the league, gain experience from a good NFL qb who seems to be a great teammate...

I dunno... Cousins COULD give way as early as next season. At that point, does it really matter you're giving him his final guaranteed payment? it's the NFL, money doesnt actually matter... If the QB play next season is good (under penix) then it's basically like you're paying him the cash, and cousins the rookie money.

Not ideal. not perfect. But if you have yourself a good team and a starting QB, none of that really matters... And next april they're likely picking mid to mid/later in the draft anyways.
Just think if they drafted a difference maker that starts from day one. If they wanted Penix, then don’t sign Cousins and use that money on defense. It’s a horrible use of the cap.

Just think if they drafted a difference maker that starts from day one. If they wanted Penix, then don’t sign Cousins and use that money on defense. It’s a horrible use of the cap.

I dont disagree w you, but I also see their point on it.

Maybe they WANT cousins for a year or two max and to teach and mold a QB they're in love with.

They aren't a SB team now but could be in 2-3yrs? Maybe that's the plan.

Maybe they WANT cousins for a year or two max and to teach and mold a QB they're in love with.

Ok so in 3 years do we think they retain Bijan, London, and Pitts after Cousins actually makes them look good, and they likely don't have any early picks during that time?

Or.......could they have used the #8 on another impact player or traded down for multiple good picks this year and next, and opened their window for the next 3 years?

They chose poorly.

I am pretty sure there are QB mentors out there that charge you less than 100m for two years.

I am pretty sure there are QB mentors out there that charge you less than 100m for two years.

They still want to put out a good product for the fans and for their young core, to want to stay.

Again, I don't even agree with the pick... But I can see the justificaiton for it, is all I'm saying

One of the most awful coupled decisions I've ever seen, to sign a 35 year old QB to a huge contract and then spend the #8 pick on a QB. If they like Penix this much they should have just used their cap space on players who will help him succeed -- particularly for a defense the Falcons will need to rely on to keep them in games while Penix learns.

As if that wasn't enough they've also made their team chemistry into an explosive compound. This is going to be a distraction for the team for as long as they have both QBs. Cousins has to be pissed (justifiably). They could have taken f***ing Odunze. Or traded down for any variety of immediate reinforcement. Instead they spend the pick on a player who is guaranteed to never help Cousins succeed as the leader of the Falcons and who if the pick is not a bust will likely supplant Cousins sooner rather than later.

Penix wasn't even a great pick at 8 if they had no QBs rostered
The NFL is very high on Penix. Before the Michigan game he was projected top 10. One game didn't change that for many NFL teams.

Saints, Raider and Seattle all were trying to trade into the top 10 to get Penix. If ATL didn't pick him another team was going to. Should ATL traded back with one of those teams? Maybe. Maybe ATL could have stocked teh shelves and ran with Cousins.

Speaking of Cousins - at the time they never had Penix, and the draft was a ways out. They needed a QB and got what they could at the time. The other thing with Cousins is, he is older and coming off a serious injury to his plant leg. Achillies at his age is no joke. I like Cousins and hope he makes a full and speedy recovery but there is no guarantee he makes it back 100%.

A lot of people just love to hate on Penix for whatever reason and this draft just adds to their hate but the reality is he went top 10 and if it wasn't ATL it would have been 3 other teams fighting to get back into the mix to draft him.

He was always going top 15 if you looked at the teams that wanted him and were interested.

Ok so in 3 years do we think they retain Bijan, London, and Pitts after Cousins actually makes them look good, and they likely don't have any early picks during that time?

Or.......could they have used the #8 on another impact player or traded down for multiple good picks this year and next, and opened their window for the next 3 years?

They chose poorly.
Cousins won't be playing in year 3. He might not even make year 2.

They still want to put out a good product for the fans and for their young core, to want to stay.

Again, I don't even agree with the pick... But I can see the justificaiton for it, is all I'm saying
Yep, ATL believes they are in the running to make playoffs and a deep run. They need a good back-up behind and aging Cousins coming off a torn achillies to his plant leg. Penix is as close to pro-ready as any rookie coming into this draft.

Everyone complains he is older but 24 isn't that old for a QB, especially one that could give ATL the best shot at winning games and getting the ball to the playmakers on the team.

Atlanta has to do one thing: win. If they win all their games, they will be proclaimed to be geniuses. Dan Campbell and Detroit front office are media darlings because they are winning games. If they were losing they would be talking about Hendon Hooker being 26 years old. Somehow Belichick went from greatest coach in NFL history to guest commentator on the Pat McFee show.

I wish I had stats on the percentage of Viking fans that wanted to keep Cousins and draft a QB. I feel like ProFootballTalk would be crushing the Vikings front office right now if they did that.

From everything you guys just said, them signing Cousins was the worst move ever.
They can't both be good moves.
They didn't have Penix when they signed Cousins. They needed a QB. Maybe it looks bad now but not much they can do about it. They still needed a QB after Cousins and they had a shot at one now, in this draft and they locked up their guy. If they win games next year they aren't in a position to get a QB next year. That was the key thing here.

I didn't expect them to draft Penix where they did but they also needed a QB after Cousins. He's old and coming off a big injury.

I've also stated it many times before, QBs should sit for the first part of their careers. Each QB is different but giving them time to sit and learn behind the veteran has proven to be very successful. Even if Penix sits a year, being 25 isn't OLD by QB standards.

With NIL deals and the transfer portal being so easy now we have to get used to players coming out later and being older. Add in these players also had to go through the COVID year and it isn't surprising we are seeing older guys now. But this "OLD" doesn't mean they aren't good.

Then the Cousins signing is horrific. I thought it was bad when they did it. The falcons do seem to be talking as if they are ready now to win a Super Bowl. No way they are competing for a Super Bowl during the first couple years of the Cousins contract. The talk that sitting behind Cousins for a couple years to learn is BS. You don't take a 24 year old QB at pick 8 who was allegedly the number two QB on your board and sit him for two years. They talked about how he might sit longer than that which would be a good thing because that means they are doing well.

I think there is a whole lot of rationalizing going on for what is clearly a head scratcher of a pick. Something went wrong somewhere. It seems there wasn't a clear vision when they signed Cousins. Maybe this is what we call in the poker world FPS(Fancy play syndrome). Maybe at the time grabbing Penix seemed like a brilliant idea. The consequences of the pick were clearly not thought out. When you make a big investment financially on a QB that QB should become the face of the franchise. You should be all in on that player. this is gonna be a major headache for the Falcons. Imagine how much better the future would look if they would have used the Cousins money to sign Christian Wilkins and then drafted Penix. There were a ton of bridge QB's they could have signed on the cheap. Now you are much closer to competing for a championship assuming you are right on Penix.

They chose poorly.

;)

Last edited:
Draft Media: Hey, if you have a chance at a QB take him! Wait, not like that.
I've watched quite a few post draft shows and this does seem to be the narrative. They seem to be ignoring the full context of the situation. They seem to be ignoring that there was a better way.

Either signing cousins or drafting penix was a horrible decision. Take your pick which one.
However, since Cousins was already signed, the Penix pick was the atrocity IMO
Their thought process might be "we don't want to compound our poor decision to sign Cousins by passing on Penix". That's when they went to work on their post draft rationalization. "Lets tell them this is a great opportunity for Penix to learn behind Cousins for 2-3 years". Now they have to figure out their story about when it was they fell in love with Penix. Clearly this must have been during their speed dating interview with him at the combine. I don't think they actually had him in for a visit did they?

From everything you guys just said, them signing Cousins was the worst move ever.
I think they can both be good moves. Speaking as a Jets fan, it would have been season-altering to have a competent backup QB when our old QB got hurt last year. It only seems smart for a franchise to have competent QBs, plural, since it is "the mot important position in football." As the Jets proved, ignoring the backup position is disastrous if you want to win football games.

I think they can both be good moves. Speaking as a Jets fan, it would have been season-altering to have a competent backup QB when our old QB got hurt last year. It only seems smart for a franchise to have competent QBs, plural, since it is "the mot important position in football." As the Jets proved, ignoring the backup position is disastrous if you want to win football games.
So when cousins is done, I expect them to use another top 10 pick on a QB then, right?

So when cousins is done, I expect them to use another top 10 pick on a QB then, right?
If they win football games, they will be lauded as Super Geniuses (tm) and the copy-cat league will follow suit.
The arguments herein state that the only way to win a Super Bowl is on a rookie QB contract. Therefore, you must always be drafting the best available QB.

Then the Cousins signing is horrific. I thought it was bad when they did it. The falcons do seem to be talking as if they are ready now to win a Super Bowl. No way they are competing for a Super Bowl during the first couple years of the Cousins contract. The talk that sitting behind Cousins for a couple years to learn is BS. You don't take a 24 year old QB at pick 8 who was allegedly the number two QB on your board and sit him for two years. They talked about how he might sit longer than that which would be a good thing because that means they are doing well.

I think there is a whole lot of rationalizing going on for what is clearly a head scratcher of a pick. Something went wrong somewhere. It seems there wasn't a clear vision when they signed Cousins. Maybe this is what we call in the poker world FPS(Fancy play syndrome). Maybe at the time grabbing Penix seemed like a brilliant idea. The consequences of the pick were clearly not thought out. When you make a big investment financially on a QB that QB should become the face of the franchise. You should be all in on that player. this is gonna be a major headache for the Falcons. Imagine how much better the future would look if they would have used the Cousins money to sign Christian Wilkins and then drafted Penix. There were a ton of bridge QB's they could have signed on the cheap. Now you are much closer to competing for a championship assuming you are right on Penix.
1) They could offer Cousins the money as London, Pitts and Robinson are all cheap
2) Penix at 24 isn't that old, people just want to bring it up to crap on him. He's more experienced than most college QBs which means he's likely ready to step in sooner than later.
3) 100% ATL believes they can win, especially win their division. They showed that last year when people said the same thing. This owner wants to win now and are brining in QBs to try to do that
4) Penix could still bust but what he has shown is he can support weapons and make throws. Outside of Cousins (@ 100% health) he's the best QB prospect they have had in a long time. At minimum if you own Pitts/London/Robinson you have to be happy to have a college QB who has thrown for 9000 yards an 65TDs in 2 seasons.

Maybe it doesn't work out but ATL was lacking a QB and they are trying to fix that. They got blamed for not having a QB to get it to their weapons. Cousins and Penix can do that. Let's see where things shake out.

Penix

Now they have to figure out their story about when it was they fell in love with Penix.
They came out with this story quickly. Said they fell for him at his pro day when he threw it great in 40 degree windy weather and they all fell in love with him.

This to me is an embarrassing admission and/or sales job since they had 6 years of college tape to scout him before signing Cousins.

Heard Michael Lombardi try and say he heard from a source that this was likely all on Morris. As an aside Lomardi is on a mission to tear down Atlanta's decision making at every turn because he can't believe they passed on Bellihick, and then insulted him by crowing about how they ranked him as the 4th best candidate, and now he's got an axe to grind. So consider this source but day after the draft he said he heard from a source that Morris was very impulsive and needed a strong GM to talk him down, and Fontenot is not that guy.

I don't know, just relaying info but not hard to believe Morris just fell for him, especially in the context of what I'd heard pre-draft that some coaches were way higher on him then the front offices. Seems like a failure of their internal checks and balances situation IMO.

My opinion is good GMs don't draft for the upcoming year. There's little chance a rookie is going to help your team win immediately. Especially a QB or OT. They need time to adjust to the speed and different schemes. That time can come on the field or in the practice/QB room dependent on many factors - the current QB, the coaching staff, contracts, etc. But be clear, a rookie QB is learning. College simply isn't played the way the NFL is especially if a QB is coming from a team filled with OL and weapons that are far superior to their opponents. Guys are not as open. Windows close faster. The rush gets there faster. The D schemes are more advanced. Sometimes WR and DL/LB work out in year 1. The skill required for those is more physical than it is mental or technique. QB is such an important position I'm surprised more teams don't draft one fairly high every year.

If you have Cousins, do you have your QB of the future? No.
If you draft Penix, do you close your window to win for a few years, which is why you signed Cousins in the first place? Yes
They have closed their window, because their 1st round pick won't help them win this year. Is that your thesis?

Does that seem like a rational thought to you?
The more germane question is "How does Penix help ATL win a Super Bowl while Kirk Cousins is their starting QB?"

If you draft Penix, do you close your window to win for a few years, which is why you signed Cousins in the first place? Yes
They have closed their window, because their 1st round pick won't help them win this year. Is that your thesis?

The more germane question is "How does Penix help ATL win a Super Bowl while Kirk Cousins is their starting QB?"
I can't believe I am here defending the Atlanta pick but unpredictable stuff happens in the NFL all the time. Nick Foles won a super bowl when Philly's franchise QB Carson Wentz got injured. How about when rookie Russel Wilson usurping Matt Flynn even after he signed a relatively huge contract. Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady. Doug Williams and Jay Schroeder.

Kirk should have voiced nothing but support for the pick. Entitlement is not a good look IMO.

I can't believe I am here defending the Atlanta pick but unpredictable stuff happens in the NFL all the time. Nick Foles won a super bowl when Philly's franchise QB Carson Wentz got injured. How about when rookie Russel Wilson usurping Matt Flynn even after he signed a relatively huge contract. Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady. Doug Williams and Jay Schroeder.

Kirk should have voiced nothing but support for the pick. Entitlement is not a good look IMO.
And if Kirk is health Penix can sit back and learn and get up to speed with the team/playbook. Less pressure for him to have to go in week 1 and perform. It's a good spot for Penix.

NFL Discussion: Signing Cousins to a fat deal and drafting a QB top 10 was stupid.

Fantasy Discussion: I liked Penix quite a bit despite the warts (age, injury history). He now has top 10 draft capital. He'll likely take over an offense that has Drake London, Kyle Pitts, and Bijan Robison.

I've done a few mocks on sleeper and have seen him as late as 2.02. For a QB with top 10 draft capital, that's amazing value. I'm guessing people will get a little more bullish on him in the coming months. But I question if all the "horrible pick" talk isn't carrying over to fantasy/dynasty.

Let's step back for a minute and look at it from a fantasy perspective.

If you are at 1.11 or 1.12 and were in the Championship game you have a chance to add a round 1 QB to your team, something that is rarely available at that position in SF leagues. Penix/Nix will likely be there for the taking.

OR

You were one of the worst teams and at 2.01/2.02/2.03 you have a chance to add another QB to your roster after adding Caleb/Daniels etc. Imagine being the worst team in your league and instantly added 2 first round QBs in one draft.

Because of all the QBs that went top 12 it means late 1st or early 2nds got that much more valueable. If you really don't like Penix/Nix then trade that pick and move back. Shop it and get great value.

With my late 1st I'm definitely looking at Penix as an option. Top 10 drafted QB going to a team with tons of weapons. A QB who threw for 9000 yards and 68TDs last 2 years.

Yes. Backup QB's can occasionally be valuable.

However, the cost to acquire any of your sample backups was not anything close to Top 10 draft capital.

That's the central flaw in the "insurance policy" rationale. The cost was astronomical and the policy only has value in a contingency scenario.

And if ATL believes the odds of a contingency scenario are high, then they directly contradicted that logic with the $100mm Cousins salary guarantee.

Very little.

And the rop 10 pick when you have a QB is probably a mistake. I would say most likely, it doesn't work out as they hope.

But: If Penix is a top flight QB, the pick was worth it. There's no other way around it.

But when discussing this move, it's like people forgot that MOST 1st round picks don't kill it, about half are busts.

And they forgot the most recent move we have seen like this, Aaron Rodgers

unpredictable, absolutely. but in your examples, foles was a FA backup, wilson was a 3rd rounder, brady a 6th. spending the 8th overall pick and blowing 2-3 years of rookie scale seems odd to me. atlanta could’ve gone odunze, then looked at a qb next year (4 have potential 1st round grades) or heck, the year after. rodgers was 24th overall for reference. the logic of signing cousins and then drafting his replacement before he has played a snap shukes me.

You have your qb for the next 4 years. They could have drafted him another weapon or Olineman and tried to win a Superbowl in a year or two.
They could have drafted their QB of the Future in 2025, or 2026 or 2027 or 2028
Vikings were mediocre with Cousins but never drafted higher than 12th even with one of the worst passing defences in the league. Last year doesn't count because he was injured 8 games in.

But when discussing this move, it's like people forgot that MOST 1st round picks don't kill it, about half are busts.
And people need to realize all first round picks are not equal and this class by and large was considered to be very very strong with the frontline blue chip players. I seriously doubt the bust rate will be remotely that high for the first 10-15 picks of this draft, especially the non-QB's.

ETA-this class reminded me a lot of the 2021 class. If you look at the first 10 non-Qb's in that draft, they may not have been the perfect picks, but I'd say the bust rate of those 10 non-Qb's was zero, not a single bust out of the group. That's the kind of talent pool that Atlanta had to choose from at 8 IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread