What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Michael Penix Jr., ATL (1 Viewer)

um, no. He's not going top 8. He throws a nice deep ball. And he is doing it behind a great OL that is giving him all day to do it. He has forever back there. It won't be that way in the NFL. There's a slim chance he goes at 10 if ATL stays put and the other 3 QBs are gone.
I'd be surprised to see him picked in the first 3 rounds.

are you talking about in redraft?
NFL draft

there's absolutely no way you watch football and would be suprised at him going in the first 3 rounds.
he's an absolute LOCK for 1st round, likely in the top 15 and even top 10. Hell, top 5-6 wouldnt shock me.

Pats self on back.

Super duper nailed it.

I think Blank made this pick. He wants to win one before he dies. This a backup plan if Cousins can't get the job done. I cant say what I wanna say because I will get banned.
Cousins is on a short leash.

I'm a huge Penix fan, but this is fine for Cousins.

He plays well he starts all season and probably next. Once 2025 ends, it's over and Penix takes the reigns (if not earlier).

It's a weird pick, absolutely, but I actually kinda like it. Allows Penix to recover from any ailments he may have, helps him learn and no rush/pressure.

Now, why they didnt tell Cousins, no idea

Love this pick. Cousins will only be around for 3 years. Falcons stealing a move from the Packers, and Penix will be a stud when he takes over.

I see nothing wrong with this pick from Atlanta’s standpoint. 2 qbs is important in the nfl. About 10 day 1 starters finished last season due to injury or benching. And cousins is older coming off injury. Qbs have so much value in this league that I’d draft one every year.

But if i am penix I don’t like that I’m gonna be sitting until cousins gets hurt.

Love this pick. Cousins will only be around for 3 years. Falcons stealing a move from the Packers, and Penix will be a stud when he takes over.
Penix will be 27 by then. Rodgers and Love were 21 and 22 respectively when the Packers drafted them. Penix will be 24 two weeks from now. He’s maybe the most pro-ready QB in the draft and yet is going to have to sit and wait like he’s a developmental project unless Cousins misses considerable time to injury. That’s what makes it an odd fit. It’d be different if he only had a bridge QB on a one-year deal ahead of him, and not someone making the guaranteed money Cousins is.

Penix will be 27 by then. Rodgers and Love were 21 and 22 respectively when the Packers drafted them. Penix will be 24 two weeks from now. He’s maybe the most pro-ready QB in the draft and yet is going to have to sit and wait like he’s a developmental project unless Cousins misses considerable time to injury.
Even if that is the case you still can get 8-10 years out of the most important position in football. I like the strategy, although I admittedly do not have a great feel on Penix. If he develops into a good starter it will be worth the dice roll tenfold.

I think Blank made this pick. He wants to win one before he dies. This a backup plan if Cousins can't get the job done. I cant say what I wanna say because I will get banned.
short leash? then why give him $100 mn guaranteed. I can usually find a reasonable angle but i'm just not seeing it here.

ETA: i mean could still work out long term but the combination of the two moves is what seems so puzzling

short leash? then why give him $100 mn guaranteed. I can usually find a reasonable angle but i'm just not seeing it here.

ETA: i mean could still work out long term but the combination of the two moves is what seems so puzzling

Yea it makes no sense even from a backup perspective. To have an older qb sit for that long does nothing for him. They would have been way smarter to build the D and try and win now and draft a QB in Cousins last 1 or 2 years

Throw in that there are a lot of question marks around Penix and in my books this is a huge waste of a pick and a really strange one

Assuming the Falcons lose next years first round pick for what seems like obvious tampering to get Cousins they basically will have spent two straight first round picks on QB. As others stated Penix will likely be 27 by the time he gets his chance (barring cousins injury). Arthur Blank makes Steven Ross appear as a top tier owner.

Assuming the Falcons lose next years first round pick for what seems like obvious tampering to get Cousins they basically will have spent two straight first round picks on QB. As others stated Penix will likely be 27 by the time he gets his chance (barring cousins injury). Arthur Blank makes Steven Ross appear as a top tier owner.
...and $100m. Whether it works or it doesn't with hind sight doesn't matter - this is awful resource management.

As a Penix fan, and from a dynasty perspective, I don't like it and am def moving him down my board. I don't think he's starting till 2026. Which is probably great for him and could work out great for Atlanta. But it's no bueno for dynasty, least not where I was willing to take him before this.

The Penix pick is fine.
It's the Cousins signing that is perplexing now.

Did they really not know a month ago that they loved Penix?
Penix is 24, so how long do they expect him to sit behind Cousins? At #8 it was a horrible pick.
I mean it would have been a fine pick if they hadn't have signed Cousins.

It just doesn't seem fathomable that they didn't know how much they loved Penix a month ago.

The Penix pick is fine.
It's the Cousins signing that is perplexing now.

Did they really not know a month ago that they loved Penix?
Penix is 24, so how long do they expect him to sit behind Cousins? At #8 it was a horrible pick.

That's what doesn't make sense to me. Penix isn't some spring chicken trying to figure it out and this isn't the old NFL where you sit a rookie for years until he's ready. That rookie contract window is where championships are won. I feel for ATL fans as the front office has no idea what they're doing. I'm surprised they didn't draft another RB.

Blank is old and has nothing to lose. He doesn't care about money and just wants to win. I want to feel this way one day. He has a starting QB and a backup that he feels can win it. If I were a billionaire, I would be drafting a QB every year. One to trade or one to build with.

My thinking is they think they are a playoff team the next couple years and won’t be high enough in the draft to get a decent qb in the near future and pulled the trigger on Penix as a result to have that “bird in the hand” ready

I liked Penix until the Michigan game and watched him crumble. Michigan pressured him and beat him up good to where it looked like he wanted to quit.

Blank is old and has nothing to lose. He doesn't care about money and just wants to win. I want to feel this way one day. He has a starting QB and a backup that he feels can win it. If I were a billionaire, I would be drafting a QB every year. One to trade or one to build with.
they just spent a top 10 pick on a backup QB, forgoing another player that could help them win now.

Yeah, if this were baseball and salary cap wasn't an issue then maybe but nope

If you were about to die what would you do? I refuse to be banned because my children here are ....

After taking more time to digest the pick I still think it’s one of the worst conceived picks ever.

I’m not a big Penix guy. Believe if they wanted to go this route they should have taken McCarthy but I’d have still hated the pick so not really focused on the QB they did take, it’s where.

It’s not what GB did, quit saying that. GB was not using pick 8 on these QB’s. Not even close.

It’s also not the same thing as doing this when your starting QB is established in the locker room, or the head coach. We have a new regime with a new QB, this should be about creating the new culture and setting up Cousins to make it “his” team. Now you just undermined him, and created drama/distraction that was not necessary. I assume Kirk is dumbfounded but will handle things professionally, none of this IMO helps him or the team.

But the biggest thing to me is that it’s laughable ATL thinks they are good enough to have this luxury. It’s an epic fail in self scouting, maybe ego as well, that they think they are in a position to bypass the many blue chip level players who were available at multiple positions. Stunningly bad job of self scouting your team.

If this is the kind of thing Arthur Smith had to work around he should be absolved of most of his sins.

If you were about to die what would you do? I refuse to be banned because my children here are ....
take the player that would help me win now

Which he feels is a QB. I don't blame him. I want all of yall to have this same energy once the season starts.
This is why I will be a blillionaire and you won't.

um, no. He's not going top 8. He throws a nice deep ball. And he is doing it behind a great OL that is giving him all day to do it. He has forever back there. It won't be that way in the NFL. There's a slim chance he goes at 10 if ATL stays put and the other 3 QBs are gone.
I'd be surprised to see him picked in the first 3 rounds.

are you talking about in redraft?
NFL draft

there's absolutely no way you watch football and would be suprised at him going in the first 3 rounds.
he's an absolute LOCK for 1st round, likely in the top 15 and even top 10. Hell, top 5-6 wouldnt shock me.

Pats self on back.

Super duper nailed it.
I was only off by 100 or so picks

Which he feels is a QB. I don't blame him. I want all of yall to have this same energy once the season starts.
This is why I will be a blillionaire and you won't.
no they don't, you think Penix will start and Cousins will be the backup?

I think if they feel Penix is better they will. Trade Cousins and move on.

I'm playing chess and you're not.

The only logical way I can make sense of this is if they believe that Cousins is elite and can make them really good over the next 2-3 years and therefore, they will not have a top 10-15 pick in those years and are trying to take advantage of a top ten pick to select someone they feel is a QB of the future...

Call me what you want. Every team should be drafting a QB every year.
Once they do this come back and call me daddy.

The only logical way I can make sense of this is if they believe that Cousins is elite and can make them really good over the next 2-3 years and therefore, they will not have a top 10-15 pick in those years and are trying to take advantage of a top ten pick to select someone they feel is a QB of the future...
And they won't have access to draft.

At least one that will play. Maybe they will be using a new two qb formation this year.

Horrible pick.

My thinking is they think they are a playoff team the next couple years and won’t be high enough in the draft to get a decent qb in the near future and pulled the trigger on Penix as a result to have that “bird in the hand” ready
If you plan to be a playoff team for the next couple years, don't completely waste the 8th damn pick in the draft

Users who are viewing this thread