What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mac Jones, JAX (2 Viewers)

Honestly I don’t know what scouts see sometimes. 

This kids accuracy is insane. He glides in the pocket, feels pressure and has the innate sixth sense on when to get rid of the ball. Everyone seems to be so quick to credit the weapons around him but I see time and again Jones give a nasty pump fake and draw his WR’s open.

Guy is a stud. People are drooling (and rightfully so in many ways) over the athleticism of the other top QB’s but this guy does some incredible things and people are dismissing him too easily off the team he was surrounded with, his predecessor and that he only played one full season as a starter. He moves in the pocket and displays similar accuracy to Drew Brees and his arm is plenty lively. 
I actually came here to post something similar. I don’t usually comment on rookies until I’ve watched a lot of them or as much as I can find and I agree with a lot of this. He just looks good at so many things. Given Wilson and Lance’s experience (or lack of) I could see Jones possible being the second guy off the board. 

Pro Football Network's Dalton Miller writes that Alabama QB Mac Jones' "lack of creativity is his biggest flaw."

While Miller acknowledges that Jones can shimmy by degrees when needed, he also notes that the Alabama signal-caller rarely had to work outside of structure, with the analyst passing along that in his charting, just 11-of-196 pass attempts came outside of the pocket (either on rollouts or when plays broke down). Concludes Miller, "That will not be possible at the next level. There will be no camping in the pocket like some of you do in Call of Duty: Warzone." As for Jones' draft placement, in his most recent mock, Mel Kiper Jr of ESPN pegged the 6-foot-3, 214-pounder to the Carolina Panthers with the No. 8 selection.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Feb 25, 2021, 12:45 PM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, Alabama QB Mac Jones was the highest-graded passer in 2020 on non-play action throws. 

While it's true the extremely high rate of play-action passes in Alabama's offense helped Jones out, he was still fantastic on non-play action passes. Jones graded out at 93.8 for non-play action throws, which was better than every other passer in the country. Given the poise, swift decision making, and accuracy Jones shows on film, it's no wonder he graded out so highly here. 

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Mar 6, 2021, 4:12 PM ET

Call it a gut feeling, but I’m not high on this particular statue, unless I can get him late.

TBF I have him fifth. Hard to pass up dual threats. I think he’s a mid to late 2nd kind of pick so not really far off.
How is he a dual threat?  He rushed 35 times last year for 14 yards.  The guy is stuck in cement as far as that goes.

ETA:  Sorry, I misread that.  For some odd reason I thought you had Jones pegged as a dual threat too.  My reading of that sucked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liken him to a smaller Matt Ryan and that's not very exciting for fantasy, he'll need great weapons to be worthwhile, as does Ryan.

For real life football if you get him around mid first and only have to pay him $4M or less for 4 years I think it's a pretty good plan teams like CHI, NE and WFT in particular if they don't fix their QB spots another way.

TBF I have him fifth. Hard to pass up dual threats. I think he’s a mid to late 2nd kind of pick so not really far off.

How is he a dual threat?  He rushed 35 times last year for 14 yards.  The guy is stuck in cement as far as that goes.
Oh stewardess, I speak @Iceman03!

He's saying that he agrees with you that he's not ranked as high as the other four because those guys are dual threats, not Mac.

I really want Mac Jones to work out. It’s refreshing to have success stories at QB who fit the mold of “good player, bad body.”

Some people are bad at making analogies - others are bad at understanding them. This guy isn't saying something everyone doesn't know. Of course if you knew you could draft a guy that would take you to ten Super Bowls and win seven of them, you'd do it. But that's not what people are saying.

Jones compares to Brady in the physical components - decent, not great arm. Can't run a lick. Processes information quickly.

Nobody other than Michael Jordan has ever had the intangible of "desire to win" at a level of Tom Brady. And while that's unquantifiable, we can be pretty sure it'll be almost impossible to match by anyone.

Some people are bad at making analogies - others are bad at understanding them. This guy isn't saying something everyone doesn't know. Of course if you knew you could draft a guy that would take you to ten Super Bowls and win seven of them, you'd do it. But that's not what people are saying.

Jones compares to Brady in the physical components - decent, not great arm. Can't run a lick. Processes information quickly.

Nobody other than Michael Jordan has ever had the intangible of "desire to win" at a level of Tom Brady. And while that's unquantifiable, we can be pretty sure it'll be almost impossible to match by anyone.
I would argue that Larry Bird had that trait.

Alabama's Mac Jones is top quarterback in 2021 NFL draft class, June Jones reiterates

Excerpt:

Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence has been pegged as the likely No. 1 pick in next month’s draft but for former NFL and longtime college football coach June Jones, he’s not the best quarterback in this year’s class. 

Jones, who spent several years coaching college football at Hawaii and SMU, reiterated to Fox News in an interview this week that he believes the top signal-caller in this year’s draft is Mac Jones, the redshirt junior from Alabama. 

"The quarterback that I think five years from now will be the best one is the Alabama kid, Mac Jones. He has only played one year but I’m going to be honest, of all of his throws this year, his vertical throws down the field were as accurate as I’ve ever seen including of some of the top NFL guys that are names that everybody knows," the coach said. 

"I think he’s got enough movement, enough ability — he’s not a runner but he looks to throw when he slides around and I just think he’s got a chance to be a great one."

Jones was redshirted his freshman year at Alabama in 2017. The following season he played in 14 games for the Crimson Tide, primarily on special teams. He really got his chance to show off his ability in 2016, when he took over the starting job from Tua Tagovailoa after he suffered a serious hip injury.

He would throw for 1,503 passing yards, 14 touchdowns and three touchdowns.

After Tagovailoa was drafted by the Miami Dolphins, Mac Jones was named starter for the 2020 season. He would complete 311 passes for 4,500 yards, 41 touchdowns and just four interceptions and led Alabama to its 18th national championship title. 

Despite being his No. 1 pick, Jones told Fox News that he still believes that Lawrence will be the first pick. 

"I don’t think any of the pro scouts or the teams have him rated like I do," he said. "I think the media is driving that part of it. They’ve been saying he’s No.1 for 10 months [that] he will be the first pick."

The longtime college football coach made a similar claim about Mac Jones last month.

June Jones said the same is true for BYU’s Zach Wilson and Ohio State’s Justin Fields. 

"If you really, really evaluate all the passes, I don’t think [Lawrence is] as efficient of a passer as Zach Wilson is," Jones said.

"I don’t think Justin — I think you’re going to find the same thing when he gets to the NFL and has to run an NFL offense. You’re going to find maybe the same situation that (Dwayne) Haskins found himself in with [Washington]. It’s not an offense that he ran at Ohio State. It’s not an NFL-type approach and when he has to drop back and read coverage and go through his progressions off of what the coverage is, I think you’re going to find that he’s going to have to learn like a rookie does."

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah said that "f you could cherry pick one spot [for Alabama QB Mac Jones]" it would be the New Orleans Saints.

The Saints boast one of the smartest, most-creative coaching staffs in the NFL and would immediately be able to supply Jones with plenty of skill-position talent. One downside of New Orleans as a landing spot is that Jones would not have the luxury of learning behind a veteran starter, though. Too late to be mentored by Drew Brees, alas. And it's possible -- we would say even likely -- that Jones simply won't be on the board at all come the Saints' pick at No. 28. DJ forwards Notre Dame's Ian Book as another potential option for New Orleans, in the later rounds, should they hold off on quarterback early on.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 10, 2021, 1:38 PM ET

Wow, this guy has a bad body, I had no idea. I'm puzzled how you can have such a bad body at that age while living around the Alabama facilities? That's hard to wrap my head around.

Wow, this guy has a bad body, I had no idea. I'm puzzled how you can have such a bad body at that age while living around the Alabama facilities? That's hard to wrap my head around.
Brady ran 5.3 at Michigan, when Michigan was the Alabama type. I thought this was positive news. 

As for why he belonged at Alabama to begin with... he probably reads the field well, throws a good ball, and leads his team to victory. 🙂

Alabama QB Mac Jones ran a 4.79 in the 40-yard dash at his pro day. 

Jones' two times were reported to be 4.79 and 4.82. Per the NFL Network's James Palmer, it was expected from Jones' camp that he would run in the 4.80 range, so it sounds like Jones accomplished what he wanted to. Nobody believes Jones (6'3/214) to be any sort of burner, but getting to the 4.79 mark is solid for him and helps clear the notion that he is a statue in the pocket. Even if we adjust these times for being from a pro day instead of an official NFL Combine, Jones still kept himself well below the ugly 5.00 mark. For reference, Sam Bradford also ran a 4.79 at his pro day a decade or so ago. 

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter

Mar 23, 2021, 2:26 PM ET

Brady ran 5.3 at Michigan, when Michigan was the Alabama type. I thought this was positive news. 

As for why he belonged at Alabama to begin with... he probably reads the field well, throws a good ball, and leads his team to victory. 🙂
I was just looking to body shame him, was not knocking his game or his day.

Watching him... he probably has great accuracy in between hash mark... but outside not very good. Not enough arm strength to hit sidelines. He is to me a third day pick now after watching him. 

Watching him... he probably has great accuracy in between hash mark... but outside not very good. Not enough arm strength to hit sidelines. He is to me a third day pick now after watching him. 
Like you, I came away from watching Mac Jones' Pro Day workout less than impressed.  It was less scripted than some other QB workouts (i.e. Davis Mills), and he was without his top targets, but some of his throws outside the numbers were merely average.  I currently have Mac Jones as a third-round rookie dynasty pick, but that is still two rounds ahead of Kyle Trask, mostly based on perceived NFL draft values, but I may need to re-think that.  Football is a performance sport, and Mac Jones looked good when it mattered this season, but I am going to dig deeper into his game film after seeing this.

2021 NFL Draft Scouting Notes And Thoughts

Excerpt:

This is my interpretation of Mac Jones and his pro day workout at Alabama, specifically listening to former Auburn coach Gene Chizik on the SEC Network. When Chizik talked about him as a good complementary piece and a top-half-of-draft player, that’s the exact right prism to view Jones. Interestingly, the Crimson Tide alums on the broadcast, including former Alabama QB Greg McElroy, definitely downshifted the hype and basically concurred with Chizik’s evaluation. Good for them. 

I see Jones somewhere between Kirk Cousins and Brian Hoyer as an NFL player, with the potential to maybe hiccup into being Jared Goff or even Ryan Tannehill for a year or two when given a great supporting cast. It was refreshing to hear people significantly closer to the situation reflect those same basic views and tone down the top-15 overall hype. If he went to Indiana and not Alabama there isn’t an employable NFL GM who would draft him in the first two rounds. I do like the high-floor potential and underappreciated athleticism Jones displays, having said that. 

Users who are viewing this thread