What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Publix Step Dad Commercial - Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

I’ve always called my Stepfather by his first name. Divorce is a traumatic time for kids and it’s confusing. No one ever pressured me to call my Stepfather “Dad” but I wouldn’t have liked it. I had a Dad. And I have a great relationship with my stepfather and he’s been more of a Dad to me than my bio Dad. But I’ve never felt the need to call him Dad. Zero issue with someone who feels differently - should be an individual decision, IMO.

Commercial is fine and heartwarming.

The world definitely needs more "Chris", but this is cheesy and the tag line that Publix brings people closer together feels like weird. Almost like they are taking credit for Chris being a good step dad.

Skipping comments for a moment ...

Is this commercial new and filmed/edited to look like it's from the 1980s? Or is it actually from the 1980s-1990s?

If we're talking about what to call a step-parent: Every situation is different. Never called my step-mother anything other than her first name...until she died and left everything my dad left to her biological kid. I had a different name for her after that.

Calling a step-parent "Dad" or "Mom" is 100% an individual choice. Divorce is pretty rough on kids, and hopefully they all end up lucky enough to have a Chris in their lives. Agree that the commercial is heartwarming and touching, and definitely relatable to a lot of people, but no idea what Publix has to do with Chris being a good parent.

I teared up.

The 'ol daughter on the wedding day commercial trick. Got me.
My take, which is unpopular based on the replies in this thread, is that she should have said it sooner. The commercial portrays the guy as being a big part of her life from an early age and practically raising her. She waits until her wedding day? (that my man is probably paying for, amirite, amirite)

But props to Chris to being a good dude.

I teared up.

My take, which is unpopular based on the replies in this thread, is that she should have said it sooner. The commercial portrays the guy as being a big part of her life from an early age and practically raising her. She waits until her wedding day? (that my man is probably paying for, amirite, amirite)

But props to Chris to being a good dude.
Maybe she's waiting because she knows that day is the most special day she can ever have and that's the perfect day to say those words.

I teared up.

Oh, I did too. I cry at everything now. That's neat. Attended a wedding on Sunday; tears by the end of the ceremony. I don't know when or how this happened, but it's happening with increasing frequency, like getting up in the night to go to the bathroom.

Also, my wife is a step-mom and my older boys call her by her first name and likely always will. They have a mom. But the impact my wife has had on their lives can be seen when they write her cards for Mothers' Day and, as I've said before, when my oldest came out, his first phone call was to my wife. Not me, not his mom, his step-mom. That's a big call to make and he made it to her.

I teared up.

Oh, I did too. I cry at everything now. That's neat. Attended a wedding on Sunday; tears by the end of the ceremony. I don't know when or how this happened, but it's happening with increasing frequency, like getting up in the night to go to the bathroom.

Get your testosterone checked. Could be that.

no idea what Publix is or had to do with that marketing. but agree it's a nice little story that made me tear up despite myself (and despite knowing it was coming from the 1st second)

I teared up.

Get your testosterone checked. Could be that.
I don't think you're wrong....

My theory is that even stoic, Scotch-German, Protestant, dead-inside dudes like me can only store up 40-50 years of actual feelings before they start escaping.

Theres maybe a 2% chance that we‘ve started to appreciate small, pure expressions of love and beauty that bring forth spontaneous tears, but nah, GM probably just needs a steak.

My parents split when I was grown after 25 years of marriage.

Shortly after that there was my dad & Dawn and my mom & Chuck. Both were poorly thought out rebound marriages that didn't last.

For the last 10+ years, I've had dad & Tammy and mom & Michael. I've grown to love and respect both Tammy and Michael, but will never be calling them mom or dad. I do send them texts on Mother's and Father's Day, though.

Also, my wife is a step-mom and my older boys call her by her first name and likely always will. They have a mom. But the impact my wife has had on their lives can be seen when they write her cards for Mothers' Day and, as I've said before, when my oldest came out, his first phone call was to my wife. Not me, not his mom, his step-mom. That's a big call to make and he made it to her.
I remember you mentioning this before. I bet she treasures this moment more than most anything.

my parents got divorced late in life and my mom re-married when i was in my early 40s

the clown that she married told me to call him "dad".

that's one reason i don't speak with him, among many others. ****ing weirdo.
I won't let my kids be alone for even one second with the perv my mom remarried.

The sentiment of the commercial was certainly nice and not anything that I have any sort of issue with. For me—it just seems like an odd commercial (marketing angle) for a supermarket.

my mom and stepdad are celebrating their 43rd wedding anniversary today. my biological father has been dead for 31 years. my stepdad has more than earned his stripes. he's possibly the best thing that ever happened for my mom. my sister and i and the grandkids are the only competition. pretty sure my sister and i are a distant 5th

If we're talking about what to call a step-parent: Every situation is different. Never called my step-mother anything other than her first name...until she died and left everything my dad left to her biological kid. I had a different name for her after that.
This is where my sister and I are with our dads widow.

I have 2 step sons (I don't consider them step sons, they are my sons). Both of their fathers were involved in their lives in different amounts. I never expected either one of them to call me dad, but I will admit it does hit a bit of a soft spot when they do. Sometimes they and sometimes they don't. My oldest called me the other day for advice and that really hit a spot and made me proud.

I could watch that commercial 100 times and walk away with no idea what product or company they were marketing, so I would give the commercial an F in that regard. I don't see how this in any way, shape, or form would get anyone to go to Publix. And I've been Chris in my house for 25 years.

Have an acquaintance that got re-married last year. He and the woman dated for less than a year prior to that and she has a son around age 10. Apparently the father is a total jerk and barely in the picture, but not dead.

Not sure what the boy calls him, but this guy calls the kid his "son". I find it a little odd since they have barely known each other for more than year and the dad is still somewhat around.

This friend also had a very messy divorce and has an older daughter (18-19 yo?) who refuses to even speak to him at this point. Maybe he is trying to reclaim a fatherly role? When I hear him call the kid "my son" it just seems odd to me. Mom is apparently OK/encourages it as she is around when he says it.

Have an acquaintance that got re-married last year. He and the woman dated for less than a year prior to that and she has a son around age 10. Apparently the father is a total jerk and barely in the picture, but not dead.

Not sure what the boy calls him, but this guy calls the kid his "son". I find it a little odd since they have barely known each other for more than year and the dad is still somewhat around.

This friend also had a very messy divorce and has an older daughter (18-19 yo?) who refuses to even speak to him at this point. Maybe he is trying to reclaim a fatherly role? When I hear him call the kid "my son" it just seems odd to me. Mom is apparently OK/encourages it as she is around when he says it.
I can see calling the kid his "son" after a year, and being married to mom and living in that role. A lot of times, when talking to acquaintances/friends/whatevers, it's just easier to call the kid your kid, and not "the biological son of my significant other, with whom I reside and towards whom, I have adopted a somewhat traditional parental role"

I've been involved with my step kids since they were 1 and 2 (now in their 20's). I've always considered them to be my kids. They used to call me dad when they were little but don't anymore. (They are involved with their father a lot more than they used to be, and they've gone back to calling him dad.)

Users who are viewing this thread