What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pierre Garcon's value in 2014 in PPR leagues? (1 Viewer)

As a Garcon owner, I can tell you that he was the savior of my team in '13 and was completely not considered to start by about week 6 in '14.

So, from an emotional standpoint, I can tell you that he was an amazing bust last year.

With that being said, I think owners (or potential sellers and buyers) should try not to feel too much like a jaded lover and think it out clearly.

Garcon was only targeted 105 times last year. That makes him the 42nd ranked targeted WR. Not many guys do much when you are that much of an afterthought unless you are a situational deep threat that can have those types of games.

So Garcon was targeted less than guys like Crabtree, Robert Woods, Andrew Hawkins, Cecil Shorts, Delanie Walker (targeted less than a 30 year old Te), and Le'Veon Bell (just threw that in there in case some one wants to start a topic about unrealistic expectations continuing).

How much can we expect from a guy getting so little love?

Let's compare him to another WR who we generally think of as being a monster...Brandon Marshall. We typically think of him as being a great talent and he has certainly put up massive ff performances. He was targeted 105 times last year too. Marshall actually turned that in to LESS catches and yards than Garcon (although his TDs were 5 more and likely soothed the pain of fantasy owners some).

So, what Garcon really needs is a commitment to better utilizing him. Can he get that? Is Gruden capable of learning from a terrible mistake? Can hisQB this year be as effective as Andy Dalton was in Cincy and get Garcon closer to the AJ Green Production he had there (or even better, the GARCON production that Garcon had with these same jokers BEFORE Gruden got there?)?

To me, that is the issue. Its not Garcon, it's whether this coach wants to coach beyond 2015.

Garcon was only targeted 105 times last year. That makes him the 42nd ranked targeted WR. Not many guys do much when you are that much of an afterthought unless you are a situational deep threat that can have those types of games.
Just to play devil's advocate... He ranked 42nd in targets and 54th in points. That's bad. His QBs averaged 8.4 YPA when throwing to everyone else but only averaged 7.2 YPA when throwing to him. That's also bad.

Comparing him to another bust doesn't strengthen your case.

I'm just trying to assess value here, but I have a hard time getting excited about this guy. Is it a coincidence that his YPR has been atrocious ever since he busted his foot? Will he ever sniff 13 YPR again? Can't expect to net points from TDs unless his QBs take a huge step forward in that department. Plus, his career rate of 1 TD per 14 catches does not indicate this to be a strength of his. His upside appears to be WR3 this year barring a 2013 Broncos miracle in terms of passing production explosion.

I think Garcon is a good buy low this off season. He has proven he can get it done in the past so he's worth trading for at the right price.

He can get it done when he is fed the ball continuously. A lot of players can do that.

When fed the ball, he does less with it than other WRs. it takes him a LOT more targets to get the numbers that other players get with a lot less action.

He's not a #1, and his 2013 season will prove to be an anomaly.

Rotoworld:

Pierre Garcon is now playing the Z receiver spot for the Redskins with DeSean Jackson taking over at X.

Garcon used to run most of his routes from the left side of the formation, but is now split out wide to the right. Per beat writer Mike Jones, the "coaches plan to make a greater point of getting Garcon the ball" this season after seeing his catch total drop from 113 in 2013 to 68 last season. However, Jackson should remain the go-to in this offense, leaving Garcon more as a mid-to-low WR3.

Source: Washington Post
Jun 4 - 9:15 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Britt McHenry reports the Redskins are "doing more to incorporate" Pierre Garcon into their 2015 offense.

McHenry also passes along "praise for how Niles Paul has done/improved (in) these OTAs." Garcon has moved from X to Z, which is ordinarily the featured position in coach Jay Gruden's passing offense. It doesn't mean new "X" DeSean Jackson's role will be downsized; just that the Redskins intend to feed Garcon more than they did last year, when his catch total tumbled from 113 to 68. When fed the ball with volume, Garcon is a yards-creating playmaker after the catch.

Related: Niles Paul

Source: Britt McHenry on Twitter
Jun 8 - 4:00 PM

It's weird to see all this talk about wanting to get Garcon more involved.

Garcon had more targets than Jackson last year (105 vs. 95), but was way less productive with them (7.2 YPT vs. 12.3 YPT). DJax's 95 targets in 15 games was a career low in targets per game (he averaged 119 targets per 16 games during his years in Philly).

You might expect Washington to want to get the ball to their most effective WR more often. But that's not what the chatter says.

Garcon had more targets than Jackson last year (105 vs. 95), but was way less productive with them (7.2 YPT vs. 12.3 YPT). DJax's 95 targets in 15 games was a career low in targets per game (he averaged 119 targets per 16 games during his years in Philly).

You might expect Washington to want to get the ball to their most effective WR more often. But that's not what the chatter says.
2 things. First ignore the chatter right now.

Second, DJax was new to the team and offense. He likely had few targets because of comfort in the QBs.

Personally, I expect DJax to be more involved.

2 things.First ignore the chatter right now.

Second, DJax was new to the team and offense. He likely had few targets because of comfort in the QBs.

Personally, I expect DJax to be more involved.
I don't. He only hauled in 59% of those balls and he was feast or famine. Think the Redskins want a more steady, consistent plan that they can stick with no matter the situation.

Rotoworld:

Pierre Garcon is scheduled to count $10.25 million against the cap in 2016.

In other words, this is essentially a contract year for Garcon. The Redskins won't be keeping him around if he produces like he did last year, when he caught just 68 passes and limped to a 4.85 yards after catch mark. Although the Redskins insist he'll be targeted more on the quick hitches and screens he excels at this year, we've grown skeptical of Jay Gruden's ability to maximize his talent.

Source: ESPN.com
Jul 23 - 10:30 AM

Any thoughts on this guy?  Got him late, at a point I felt he was a kind of safe pick. Boring, but safe. 

Thoughts on him this year? Had 1k receiving yards last year. Not much competition for targets and back with Shanny.

Pierre Garcon caught 6-of-7 targets for 64 yards in the 49ers' third preseason game.

For fantasy-league chasers of Garcon's projected volume, this game checked off boxes. The 49ers ran Garcon on frequent slant patterns and high-percentage routes designed for Garcon to show his run-after-catch ability. Garcon has a chance to be a true target monster and is worth drafting in all leagues as a WR3.

That really came out of nowhere. Between that and preparing fans for Garoppolo not playing this year, talk about tanking. Understandable but wow

Users who are viewing this thread