What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pierre Garcon's value in 2014 in PPR leagues? (4 Viewers)

AJ Green > Desean

Jones < Garcon

I really don't like when "analysts" read too much into how a new coach coached a completely different team. Any good coach (to make it to the NFL you have to be good) will devise a game plan to utilize his players in the best way possible. He's not going to have the same exact playbook and call the same exact plays as he did when he had AJ Green.

It's the same as when I hear people say that Helu's value is going to skyrocket and Morris' value is going to tank. Morris is not BJGE and Helu is not Gio.

After you ignore all that, I don't think there's any way Garcon is targeted as much as he was last year. He really was the only option in the passing game outside a few games when they realized what they had in Reed. With more options in the passing game and a healthier QB, the offense should be a lot more diverse this year.
I see it as a 1a/1b situation and see them both getting ~120 targets. They also signed Andre Roberts who should be an improvement over Josh Morgan.

Last edited by a moderator:
The more I read on this one, the more I begin thinking that old phrase "A rising tide lifts all boats".

Much like Denver last year, Atlanta until last year, New England and Indy in years gone by, when you have quality pieces across the entire offense and can't key on any of them consistently, they will all thrive and the actual in-game matchups will likely dictate who has the big game from week to week.

Some weeks it will be the runners, some times it will be the bad secondary that DJAX kills, some weeks, (the games you would expect to be close throughout like GIants, Eagles, Cowboys, etc), will probably be the chain mover games where Reed and Garcon just pick teams apart.

The one thing that was said earlier in the thread was the idea that Garcon was a perfect storm guy last year and the team was always behind and won't be now. I don't know about that. Their defense still has a lot of issues. I can see them playing shootouts and come from behind quite a bit. The perfect storm part is probably true but also carries the other side of the coin to be considered. Yeah, they threw to him a ton. but they also threw AT him a ton and missed. THe number of ridiculous bad passes last year was off the charts. Plus, everyone knew where the ball was going and he still performed. To me, that shows talent and probably washes things out in terms of perceived increases or decreases.

I think Garcon will have another terrific year but might be a bit more VJAX like where he could be 7 points one week and then 27 the next.

The more I read on this one, the more I begin thinking that old phrase "A rising tide lifts all boats".

Much like Denver last year, Atlanta until last year, New England and Indy in years gone by, when you have quality pieces across the entire offense and can't key on any of them consistently, they will all thrive and the actual in-game matchups will likely dictate who has the big game from week to week.

Some weeks it will be the runners, some times it will be the bad secondary that DJAX kills, some weeks, (the games you would expect to be close throughout like GIants, Eagles, Cowboys, etc), will probably be the chain mover games where Reed and Garcon just pick teams apart.

The one thing that was said earlier in the thread was the idea that Garcon was a perfect storm guy last year and the team was always behind and won't be now. I don't know about that. Their defense still has a lot of issues. I can see them playing shootouts and come from behind quite a bit. The perfect storm part is probably true but also carries the other side of the coin to be considered. Yeah, they threw to him a ton. but they also threw AT him a ton and missed. THe number of ridiculous bad passes last year was off the charts. Plus, everyone knew where the ball was going and he still performed. To me, that shows talent and probably washes things out in terms of perceived increases or decreases.

I think Garcon will have another terrific year but might be a bit more VJAX like where he could be 7 points one week and then 27 the next.
I agree with this.

The real guy to own on this team is RG3.

Haven't looked at the ADP but I wouldn't mind starting Garcon and DJax as my 2/3.

I agree with this.

The real guy to own on this team is RG3.
I agree but i believe a close 2nd guy to own is ALF I think if healthy hes set up to have a tremendous season. With all the passing game weapons and with RGlll wheels how can you key on him? He will see 6 and 7 in the box, Combine that with the fact he's arguably the best back in the league in yds after contact i think he could push for 20 rush Td this season!

Rotoworld:

Coach Jay Gruden admitted he has to do a better job of getting Pierre Garcon "more touches."

Garcon led the league with his 113 catches on a league-high 184 targets in 2013. He was the dominate X receiver in Kyle Shanahan's offense that peppered its No. 1 receiver. Now with DeSean Jackson in the fold and Jordan Reed healthy, Garcon is averaging 3.3 fewer targets per game. Take away 53 targets or so, and Garcon's production is bound to take a hit. He's had 10- and 11-catch games this season, but has also been held to two or fewer catches three times. He's settled in as more of a WR3, but is one worth starting Week 7 vs. the Titans.

Source: Washington Post

Oct 17 - 9:30 AM

Rotoworld:

Pierre Garcon caught 5-of-6 targets for 87 yards and a touchdown in Washington's Week 7 win over the Titans.

Garcon did the vast majority of his damage on one play, a 70-yard touchdown to get things started in the second half. Catching Colt McCoy's first pass of the day, Garcon dismantled Titans DBs Blidi Wreh-Wilson and Michael Griffin in coverage, doing all the work himself as he dashed down the sideline for his third score of the season. With Robert Griffin III (ankle) potentially returning for Week 8, Garcon's WR2 arrow is pointing in the right direction.

Oct 19 - 5:34 PM

Rotoworld:

Pierre Garcon caught 5-of-6 targets for 87 yards and a touchdown in Washington's Week 7 win over the Titans.

Garcon did the vast majority of his damage on one play, a 70-yard touchdown to get things started in the second half. Catching Colt McCoy's first pass of the day, Garcon dismantled Titans DBs Blidi Wreh-Wilson and Michael Griffin in coverage, doing all the work himself as he dashed down the sideline for his third score of the season. With Robert Griffin III (ankle) potentially returning for Week 8, Garcon's WR2 arrow is pointing in the right direction.

Oct 19 - 5:34 PM
After just saying he was a WR3 last week. Another game with moderate targets and most of his points on one big play. Not looking good.

Garcon and Morris both need RG3 back in the worst way. The good news is, I think that's coming very soon.

I've managed to survive his poor production so far but will need him soon.
Yeah, its not great week in and week out like it was last year, but you could do worse.

He's top 22-25 or so in ppr but it feels like so much less (guess it feels that way when comparing to last year when you just stuck him in the starting lineup and collected your double digits).

But the funny (optimistically funny) thing about it right now is, at this point last year, it's not a stark difference when you compare it.

He is off by one catch and about 8 yards a game compared to last season and he is actually ahead of his TD pace.

So, is this guy droppable? I am in a 10 team 0.5 ppr redraft / 2 keeper......seems to be the 3rd to 4th option in a not so great offense.....

ahartig said:
So, is this guy droppable? I am in a 10 team 0.5 ppr redraft / 2 keeper......seems to be the 3rd to 4th option in a not so great offense.....
I don't think so. He has an established connection with RGIII, which showed when he caught 10 passes in Game 1. That DJax continued to excel far above him in RGIII's first game back is concerning, but it's just one game. Plus Stl, NYG and Phi in playoffs looks promising.

ahartig said:
I don't think so. He has an established connection with RGIII, which showed when he caught 10 passes in Game 1. That DJax continued to excel far above him in RGIII's first game back is concerning, but it's just one game. Plus Stl, NYG and Phi in playoffs looks promising.
Agreed.

Actually, he's the WR version of Shady McCoy, a great "buy-low" candidate for the 2nd half (too late to acquire McCoy before he blows up now, however).

Cousins never seemed comfortable with Garcon for some unknown reason. It wasn't like Garcon couldn't get separation anymore or was in decline. Before it's all said and done for Pierre, I'd expect around 1000 yards receiving and 7 or 8 TDs.

Bumping this with RGIII back.

DJax got more targets and did more damage in RGIII's first game back, and both did well in opening day with RGIII.

The Gruden offense seems more conducive to quick strikes to DJax versus Shanahan's force feeding of Garcon. But we've had a small sample with RGIII.

Just curious as to what people are thinking about Garcon the rest of the way, and versus DJax.

I've had my finger on the drop button for the past two or three weeks I'm going to wait one or two more weeks to see how it plays out with RG 3

I'm planning on starting him this week vs TB. He's got a great schedule down the stretch. I'm hoping this is the beginning of his turnaround. If he can't do it this week, I'll be concerned.

With no Blue, Murray, or McKinnon, I have to start this turd. :hot:

Garcon hasn't become a worse receiver. Gruden and the qb play are just not good enough to figure out a way to get him involved. It's not like the offense is thriving without him either.

I'm starting him tommorow for the first time in weeks. I trust Colt McCoy will make Garçon a fantasy worthy start again but not expecting anything like his value last year. Baby steps.

I hope Gruden is canned in the offseason, and if Washington is dumb enough to cut RG3, I hope he explodes with a new team. And I'm a life long skins fan. :(

Garcon hasn't become a worse receiver. Gruden and the qb play are just not good enough to figure out a way to get him involved. It's not like the offense is thriving without him either.
Yep, absolutely nothing wrong with Garcon. Everything is wrong with the coaching of this offense though...

Yep, absolutely nothing wrong with Garcon. Everything is wrong with the coaching of this offense though...
True, there's nothing wrong talent-wise with Garcon.

But he's droppable in 10 and 12-team leagues.

Rotoworld:

Speaking Monday, Redskins coach Jay Gruden claimed he was "concerned" about Pierre Garcon's lack of involvement in the offense.

"He's a big part of our offense moving forward," Gruden insisted. If Gruden were telling the truth, he would have been working harder for weeks to get Garcon more involved. Garcon is averaging just 6.4 targets this season, and five over his past nine games. We wouldn't count on much changing going forward, though Gruden's hand will be forced if DeSean Jackson (bruised leg) misses Week 14. Garcon would be on the WR3 radar in that instance.

Dec 1 - 3:37 PM
Source: Chris Russell on Twitter

Any chance Garcon gets cut?

$7.5M salary/bonuses for 2015

$4.4M in dead money if cut

$3.1M in cap savings

Rotoworld:

Redskins coach Jay Gruden said he wants to get Pierre Garcon's numbers "back up a little bit" this season.

Garcon caught a league-high 113 passes on a league-high 181 targets in 2013, but was held to just 68 catches on 105 targets last season. "I think his production was probably down a little bit because DeSean [Jackson] wasn’t here the year before," Gruden said, adding the Redskins' fluid quarterback situation "hurt all the receivers." Washington's quarterback situation does not look any better heading into 2015, and Jackson will still be the focal point of the passing offense. Garcon could see a small bump in usage, but he will remain a mid-range WR3.

Source: CSN Washington
Mar 28 - 11:18 AM

Garcon was one of the most obvious "avoid at MSRP" players last year for redraft. They actually threw for over 400 more yards last year than the year before, but not surprisingly, DeSean Jackson and Andre Roberts were more productive than Santana Moss and Leonard Hankerson.

I wonder if the backlash due to his letdown year will be great enough to drop his price down into "value" territory this year.

Garcon was one of the most obvious "avoid at MSRP" players last year for redraft. They actually threw for over 400 more yards last year than the year before, but not surprisingly, DeSean Jackson and Andre Roberts were more productive than Santana Moss and Leonard Hankerson.

I wonder if the backlash due to his letdown year will be great enough to drop his price down into "value" territory this year.
He dropped to the 10th round in MFL10s... seems like a steal that late, considering he lead the league in receptions two years ago.

Despite the bottom-feeder QB play and Desean addition he still had 68/753/3, which isn't exactly a colossal PPR bust, considering many drafted him as a WR3. He finished as a low WR4.

Gruden really wrecked this offense
The offense was wrecked when Gruden took over. Nobody's saying he's the next Bill Walsh but the real problem on the roster is the play at the quarterback position.Well, the real problem is one of the most meddlesome owners in all of professional sports, but besides that.

trader jake said:
Wise Old Owl said:
The offense was wrecked when Gruden took over. Nobody's saying he's the next Bill Walsh but the real problem on the roster is the play at the quarterback position.Well, the real problem is one of the most meddlesome owners in all of professional sports, but besides that.
Gruden handled the QB position like a whiffleball coach this past year. He has to bear a lot of the blame.

trader jake said:
Wise Old Owl said:
Gruden handled the QB position like a whiffleball coach this past year. He has to bear a lot of the blame.
By almost every metric the offense was worse in '14 than '13. The only exception is passing yards (by virtue of 60+ more attempts and desean jackson). He took an underperforming offense and made it worse. He killed the run game.

Phenomena said:
FF Ninja said:

He dropped to the 10th round in MFL10s... seems like a steal that late, considering he lead the league in receptions two years ago.

Despite the bottom-feeder QB play and Desean addition he still had 68/753/3, which isn't exactly a colossal PPR bust, considering many drafted him as a WR3. He finished as a low WR4.
The TD:INT ratio left something to be desired, but they threw for 10% MORE yards in 2014 than 2013, so it is hard to blame the QBs for Garcon's paltry yardage. It should be a little alarming that the guy seems to have a degenerative foot injury and he hasn't cracked 12 YPR in two straight seasons.

Also, you might want to check your ADP's again... His 0PPR ADP was WR15. His 1PPR ADP was WR14. People drafted him as a high end WR2 and he finished WR54 in 0PPR. I don't have a way to check 1PPR, but I guess you are saying he finished somewhere in the WR37-48 range. That is a colossal bust.

By almost every metric the offense was worse in '14 than '13. The only exception is passing yards (by virtue of 60+ more attempts and desean jackson). He took an underperforming offense and made it worse. He killed the run game.
Wat? The aggregate Washington QB (which, please remember, includes a healthy dose of Colt McCoy) passed for 10% more yards in 2014 than 2013 despite 65 LESS pass attempts. They ranked 3rd in the league in YPA compared to 2013 when they ranked 23rd. They also improved completion percentage in 2014 to 66.9% from 58.5% in 2013. Those are not incremental improvements. That is pretty astounding.

Sooo... no, there are a few metrics they improved upon and those are all related the aspect of the game we are addressing right here. I'm not going to disagree that the offense as a whole was less effective. They ran less passing and rushing plays and scored less points (18.8 vs. 20.9) but right now we're talking about passing/receiving. Gruden did improve on several of those metrics which makes Garcon's crappy numbers appear even more crappy.

Users who are viewing this thread