What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Olbermann crushes Jeter (1 Viewer)

This overarching narrative that Jeter ISN'T THE BEST EVER YEAH I SAID IT is a bit silly, though. Who's Olbermann arguing with? Jorge Posada? Modern-day Yankees fans who, like any generation of diehards, overvalue the great they grew up with? Olbermann goes to great lengths to shoot down a Greatest Ever argument that, as far as I can tell, very few people are making.
A refreshing voice of reason.

Olbermann keeps shouting on Twitter about how ridiculous the notion is that Jeter is "the greatest ever", whatever the hell that means. So I keep asking him repeatedly to point out one reputable baseball man who claims that Jeter is "the greatest ever."

Nothing so far. I think he just enjoys refuting fictitious arguments.

Last edited by a moderator:
This overarching narrative that Jeter ISN'T THE BEST EVER YEAH I SAID IT is a bit silly, though. Who's Olbermann arguing with? Jorge Posada? Modern-day Yankees fans who, like any generation of diehards, overvalue the great they grew up with? Olbermann goes to great lengths to shoot down a Greatest Ever argument that, as far as I can tell, very few people are making.
A refreshing voice of reason.

Olbermann keeps shouting on Twitter about how ridiculous the notion is that Jeter is "the greatest ever", whatever the hell that means. So I keep asking him repeatedly to point out one reputable baseball man who claims that Jeter is "the greatest ever."

Nothing so far. I think he just enjoys refuting fictitious arguments.
Outside of apparently Posada, I haven't heard anyone say Jeter is the best ever. Jeter also pretty solidly in the top 8 Yankees of all time (Ruth, Gehrig, Joe D, Mantle, Whitey, Yogi, Mo, Jeter IMO). Nettles? Come on man.

And I love how he talks about Jeter having rarely led the league in any offensive categories, then talks about the 8 "major" categories he could have potentially led the Yanks in, but leaves out RUNS (ya know, because that would crush his entire argument). Counting stats matter when you're talking about what he could have led the league in, but apparently become irrelevant when discussing a player's career (3500 hits, 500 doubles, 250 HR, 1300 RBI, 350 SB don't matter because he didn't win any MVPs, and the seven top-10 MVP finishes don't mean a damn thing either).

The victory lap has certainly been overdone, but this is just KO trying to be different from everyone just for the sake of being different.

Derek Jeter is the man tho'.
Pretty much. Suck it, Keith!

Mariah Carey (1997-1998)

Lara Dutta (2000-2001)

Joy Enriquez (2001)

Jordana Brewster (2002-2003)

Vanessa Minnillo (2003-2006)

Jessica Alba (2004)

Adriana Lima (2006)

Jessica Biel (2006-2007)

Minka Kelly (2008-2011)

Other alleged flings…

Gabrielle Union, Rachel Uchitel, Scarlett Johansson, Tyra Banks, Vida Guerra

I don't think there's anything different that Olbermann did to Jeter than any other person he believes is cashing in or that he believes is a bit of an overblown personal -- yes, personal -- or political fraud. I always hated his socio-political opinions. He ripped Jeter earlier this year or last, too, and it was exceptionally personal. About the Willie Randolph thing. This was coming. This is why Olbermann is a semi-brilliant journeyman. But his baseball points are great. Jeter was always sub-par defensively, overrated, and Nomar, in his prime, was better. But had nothing around him.

And why no anger over Mariano's farewell tour from KO?

As far as girls, Jeter was clearly the champ of my lifetime. It's not even close.

Mariah Carey (1997-1998)

Lara Dutta (2000-2001)

Joy Enriquez (2001)

Jessica Alba (2004)

Adriana Lima (2006)

Jessica Biel (2006-2007)

Minka Kelly (2008-2011)

Other alleged flings

Hence the greatest ever argument. It's either him or JT for the GoAT quality tail pulled. Personally I think you gotta go with Derek, but young Brittany makes it close for Justin.

Mariah Carey (1997-1998)

Lara Dutta (2000-2001)

Joy Enriquez (2001)

Jessica Alba (2004)

Adriana Lima (2006)

Jessica Biel (2006-2007)

Minka Kelly (2008-2011)

Other alleged flings

damn

Really surprised he didn't stop at Alba. Gotta marry-up that one. I mean, they are all stunners, but she seems like a genuinely sweet person as well.

Like everybody else, never liked Olbermann, but that doesn't mean he's not right sometimes. This "farewell tour" is comical.

See ya, jackknife.

Wockenfuss did have that awesome finger waving bat grip. I'd argue that is the best ever by a tiger.

Really surprised he didn't stop at Alba. Gotta marry-up that one. I mean, they are all stunners, but she seems like a genuinely sweet person as well.
I get what you're saying, but that's a helluva run AFTER Alba. That's like Peyton going out and tossing "only" 50 TDs for the next three years instead of just retiring last year. I mean, he's already going into the HOF, but why not add to the résumé if you still have the ability before hanging up the cleats?

better than wilt? :o
We don't have proof (kids) Jeeta had intercourse as far as I know and Chamberlain probably did 200 instead of 2,000. Chamberlain probably did at least 15 really hot women. I will still go with Chamberlain for this sex ranking thing.

KO is right, the farewell tour stuff is over the top but that's not really a Jeter problem. It was just as bad with Todd Helton last year, it's just that nobody outside of Denver saw it because no one cares about the Rockies. This is all marketing driven and the reason there's so much is that people, or certain segments of people, eat it up.

Mariah Carey (1997-1998)

Lara Dutta (2000-2001)

Joy Enriquez (2001)

Jessica Alba (2004)

Adriana Lima (2006)

Jessica Biel (2006-2007)

Minka Kelly (2008-2011)Other alleged flings…

Damn. I'll bet he's hung like a rhinoceros.

As a Boston fan: If Yaz retired in 2014, wouldn't we have done a similar farewell tour? It's not about being the best ever. It's about representing your city with class and grace over the course of an entire career. If the city wants to celebrate him, why is Olberman being a wet blanket? Let it go, man.

As a Boston fan: If Yaz retired in 2014, wouldn't we have done a similar farewell tour? It's not about being the best ever. It's about representing your city with class and grace over the course of an entire career. If the city wants to celebrate him, why is Olberman being a wet blanket? Let it go, man.
We're no longer able to look at such things without being cynical. For Yankee fans, all the adulation is genuine and deserved, while a lot of other people say it's all about marketing.I'll say this, clearly Jeter wanted this or he would've waited until next week to announce he's retiring.

that guitar guy john mayer is probably the closest thing there is to how many great looking women derek jeter has dated he really knows how to pick the papershakers that is for sure take that to the bank brohans

Pretty sure the farewell thing is not his doing other than playing so well that others want to do it for him. And no one more guilty than your employer, douchenozzle.

With as big of a deal as MLB made of this farewell tour, it is interesting that they have him ending his career at Fenway and not at home.

I was at the ceremony for him at Camden Yards. It was awkward at best.

I personally think Jeter is the most overrated player of all time and this farewell tour is a complete farce but :lmao: at Olbermann with this.
He's definitely overrated by the casual fans. He's one of the best SS of all-time and an easy Hall of Famer, but if there really are people claiming he's the best of all-time, then yeah by definition that's overrated. I think casual fans assume that since he's so famous that he must be the best. But I think most knowledgeable baseball fans understand his proper place in the game and rate him properly.

There are few things in the world of sports fandom more bizarre than when Yankees fans brag about the list of beautiful women that Jeter has slept with. It's like they think he's nailing them in a Yankees uniform, and they're gonna hang "Minka Kelly Sex Partner" banners at Yankee Stadium, and Sports Illustrated is gonna release a highlight video.

Pretty sure the farewell thing is not his doing other than playing so well that others want to do it for him. And no one more guilty than your employer, douchenozzle.
Yeah, you're probably right. The farewell thing was totally unavoidable. He just announced his retirement 8 months ahead of time like every other athlete does. Poor guy.

Not a Yankees fan or Jeter fan at all here...

...but KO's rant is why fantasy sports has ruined real sports. Jeter's greatness isn't summed up in his stats.

Dave Concepcion is one of the greatest Cincinnati Reds, yet his stats aren't anything a fantasy baseball player would give two ####s about.

Yankee fans and Jeter fans, enjoy this momment for what it's worth, and KO needs to go #### himself.

Yeah, you're probably right. The farewell thing was totally unavoidable. He just announced his retirement 8 months ahead of time like every other athlete does. Poor guy.
Who said anything about poor guy? There are nothing but positives for all involved with the exception of those who just need something to be bothered by. He doesn't have to dodge the question all season. People who want to see him one last time have that option. Ratings. Ticket sales for teams that don't sell that well. Positive press for baseball on the broader media stage. If for no other reason, it was his obligation to his sponsors to capitalize on the exposure. Of course he announced he was retiring.

...but KO's rant is why fantasy sports has ruined real sports. Jeter's greatness isn't summed up in his stats.

Dave Concepcion is one of the greatest Cincinnati Reds, yet his stats aren't anything a fantasy baseball player would give two ####s about.

Yankee fans and Jeter fans, enjoy this momment for what it's worth, and KO needs to go #### himself.
And see, this kinda stuff makes Jeter seem underrated. Not trying to pick on you especially since we're mostly on the same side of this debate, but this is along the lines of the whole "Jeter's intangibles" thing that we've heard for 20 years. That word is so overused with him. People use the word 'intangibles' to try to sum up his greatness, as if there's no other way to measure him. But he's got 3500 hits, 1900 runs, 500 doubles, 250 HR, 1300 RBI, 350 SB, and is a career .310 hitter. It's intangibles, sure. But it's also very much the tangibles!

There are few things in the world of sports fandom more bizarre than when Yankees fans brag about the list of beautiful women that Jeter has slept with. It's like they think he's nailing them in a Yankees uniform, and they're gonna hang "Minka Kelly Sex Partner" banners at Yankee Stadium, and Sports Illustrated is gonna release a highlight video.
Huh? I think people are marveling at it, but I don't think anyone is associating themselves with it/him.

Who said anything about poor guy? There are nothing but positives for all involved with the exception of those who just need something to be bothered by. He doesn't have to dodge the question all season. People who want to see him one last time have that option. Ratings. Ticket sales for teams that don't sell that well. Positive press for baseball on the broader media stage. If for no other reason, it was his obligation to his sponsors to capitalize on the exposure. Of course he announced he was retiring.
You said "the farewell things is not his doing." Yeah he's not the one putting together the presentations, but he clearly wanted them to happen.

You're probably right though. It's a good thing he let everyone know ahead of time so he and the team wouldn't be bothered by distractions and could play their best baseball. Those distractions might have kept Jeter from putting up the monster .255/.303/.312 slash line with atrocious defense at a key position he's put up this season.

He's been a great player and has had a great career in which he mostly conducted himself well. But it's ridiculous to buy into this garbage narrative about him being a great unselfish man who doesn't want any of this attention. He's played SS and batted second and been in the lineup almost every day. None of those things are good for the team. They're good for Jeter, who at a minimum has acquiesced to the franchise putting him above the team this year- I haven't heard a single report of him asking to even move down in the lineup, a no-brainer move.

I don't really have a problem with that, but don't give me some nonsense narrative about how he's some shy guy who didn't want any of this and just wants to help the team. It's pretty clear the opposite is true.

And see, this kinda stuff makes Jeter seem underrated. Not trying to pick on you especially since we're mostly on the same side of this debate, but this is along the lines of the whole "Jeter's intangibles" thing that we've heard for 20 years. That word is so overused with him. People use the word 'intangibles' to try to sum up his greatness, as if there's no other way to measure him. But he's got 3500 hits, 1900 runs, 500 doubles, 250 HR, 1300 RBI, 350 SB, and is a career .310 hitter. It's intangibles, sure. But it's also very much the tangibles!
Not sure why you're taking a black and white view of what I posted. I'm not insinuating that by considering his non-stat value as a baseball player that stats don't matter. I'm saying the sum of his greatness includes both his stats and his non-stat value.

Users who are viewing this thread