What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official X-Men Thread: Dark Phoenix is up next (1 Viewer)

Planning on seeing this tonight. 2 questions:

1. I read the comics as a kid and teenager, but I only saw the first movie (that was right when my daughters were born and I stopped going to see most movies at that point for a few years). Will I be able to understand what's going on?

2. My wife and 2 daughters (13 and 11) haven't seen any of the movies and know nothing about the X-men. Will they understand what's going on?

Thx
Depends on how much you care. This movie draws on plots from almost every other movie.

Many of the cool moments will be lost if you have not seen at least the first 3 and First Class imo (the Xavier / Eric relationship, the Stryker/Wolverine background, the Mystique/Charles/Eric relationship, the constant mentions of people and plots from other movies, a boat load of fun cameos etc etc etc). I don't think the movie goes 10 minutes without some reference to a past movie in one form or another.

If you enjoy reading say the last book in a 5 book set with out reading the middle 3 books this would be fine for you. I could never do that myself but to each his own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome movie. I don't know how they'd manage it, but I'd love for them to continue with the younger cast in that "fixed" timeline. The actors are better across the board. But the issue with that is that every movie would have to be a period piece, in a way. It was awesome seeing it all come together and come full circle in this movie, but I'm just kind of over the Stewart/McKellen/Berry and whoever plays Jean Grey and Scott Summers cast.

Then again, if they're doing an Age of Apocolypse storyline, it kind of HAS to be after that "fixed" future the movie ended in...because the AOA future is way darker than the future they were trying to prevent in this movie, if it happened they wouldn't have recovered to the point they were at the end of the movie...too much changes.

I'd love to see Sinister and that while AOA lineup though.
X-Men: Apocalypse is going to be set in the early 80's with the Fassbender/McAvoy cast. Also Channing Tatum has been aready cast as Gambit and after Quicksilver stole the show, producers are aiming for a bigger role for him in the next movie.
Is this stuff confirmed? It sounds awesome, if it's all true. Exactly what I wanted. Although Tatum...I haven't seen any of his newer stuff, can he act now?
I believe Fox already has secured a release date in 2016. A lot was going to depend on the success of this movie but I think it is a lock now with the reviews.

Awesome movie. I don't know how they'd manage it, but I'd love for them to continue with the younger cast in that "fixed" timeline. The actors are better across the board. But the issue with that is that every movie would have to be a period piece, in a way. It was awesome seeing it all come together and come full circle in this movie, but I'm just kind of over the Stewart/McKellen/Berry and whoever plays Jean Grey and Scott Summers cast.

Then again, if they're doing an Age of Apocolypse storyline, it kind of HAS to be after that "fixed" future the movie ended in...because the AOA future is way darker than the future they were trying to prevent in this movie, if it happened they wouldn't have recovered to the point they were at the end of the movie...too much changes.

X-Men: Apocalypse is going to be set in the early 80's with the Fassbender/McAvoy cast. Also Channing Tatum has been aready cast as Gambit and after Quicksilver stole the show, producers are aiming for a bigger role for him in the next movie.
Is this stuff confirmed? It sounds awesome, if it's all true. Exactly what I wanted. Although Tatum...I haven't seen any of his newer stuff, can he act now?
I know the Tatum signing is confirmed. I'm pretty sure I read the other stuff somewhere. Let me look for a link.

I know the Tatum signing is confirmed. I'm pretty sure I read the other stuff somewhere. Let me look for a link.
Confirmed

I just remembered one thing for the parents out there -

While the film itself was fine, one of the previews was for We Made a Sex Tape or whatever the hell that film is called with Cameron Diaz and some tool. The whole preview is about this married couple struggling to spice up their sex life, so they film themselves having a 3 hour marathon on their living room floor...which of course, gets accidentally emailed to all their friends and co-workers. Whoever thought this was a good idea for an effing PG-13 movie should be shot. It was clear adult material. Spicing up a married couple's sex life? PG-13? Really?

That was over the top and I was mentally squirming during it. So be warned.
My 14 year old son & nephew were there with me. Definitely squirm worthy & uncalled for. Plus it was a preview for an R rated movie, I don't see how it was approved to be shown before DoFP. I think somebody messed up.

The movie was great. I'd definitely put it at the top of the XMen movies & on the same level as Avengers. The story, acting, & effects are all tremendous. Quicksilver's scene is amazing. I loved the 70s scenes. Just really really well done. Bringing the two casts together with Wolverine as the glue worked. Just close your eyes or look away for a few seconds when he wakes up in the past.

The movie was great. I'd definitely put it at the top of the XMen movies & on the same level as Avengers. The story, acting, & effects are all tremendous. Quicksilver's scene is amazing. I loved the 70s scenes. Just really really well done. Bringing the two casts together with Wolverine as the glue worked. Just close your eyes or look away for a few seconds when he wakes up in the past.
Definitely not what I wanted to see.

Unexpected too.

Unexpected too.
Whatever. Women have been disproportionately naked in film for decades. I can handle a little man butt now and then. It really wasn't a big deal.

Unexpected too.
Whatever. Women have been disproportionately naked in film for decades. I can handle a little man butt now and then. It really wasn't a big deal.
as long as it isnt covered in hair i can live with it lol

Saw the film yesterday with my wife. I'm a big comic nerd and she's there just because I want to see it. We both really enjoyed it. It is certainly the best X-Men movie and in the top 5 of all the Marvel movies.

It was good, but not great. I've liked all the X-Men movies, but this was one of my least liked one. When time travel is done in movies, it's usually pretty lame and I thought that about this movie. Also, the centinals on stage totally reminded me of Iron Man....they couldn't present them in a different way?

The acting is always solid. Jackman, McAvoy, Fassbender, etc. all do excellent jobs.

Excellent movie, really well done. I thought they handled the time travel very well. My only small issue was:

Since X3 "counted", it would have been nice for Charles to explain how he was there. And I guess I'm a little foggy on the ending of The Wolverine, since Magneto and Charles approached him 2 years after the ending of that movie in the end credits. Wolverine still had bone claws in the end credits, but had his adamantium claws in the dystopian future. He must have had them re-added in the interim. Not sure how far in the future the present day was in DOFP, but it seems the world went to pot very quickly after Magneto and Charles spoke to him. I'm guessing that since Stryker has control of his body in the 70s, he gets the adamantium as he was supposed to, although he doesn't show them once back in the school.

Excellent movie, really well done. I thought they handled the time travel very well. My only small issue was:

Since X3 "counted", it would have been nice for Charles to explain how he was there. And I guess I'm a little foggy on the ending of The Wolverine, since Magneto and Charles approached him 2 years after the ending of that movie in the end credits. Wolverine still had bone claws in the end credits, but had his adamantium claws in the dystopian future. He must have had them re-added in the interim. Not sure how far in the future the present day was in DOFP, but it seems the world went to pot very quickly after Magneto and Charles spoke to him. I'm guessing that since Stryker has control of his body in the 70s, he gets the adamantium as he was supposed to, although he doesn't show them once back in the school.
look at my previous post. I think we have the identical questions.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=669459&p=16844190

Just saw it and it was so, so good. To me, this is easily the best movie of the series, and with the cast they've managed to assemble, I'm giddy about the possibilities for what's in store with the next one.

McAvoy's performance as the younger Xavier was one of the best comic book movie performances period. I still think Ledger's Joker is the performance to beat, but McAvoy really did a wonderful job, IMO. Really, everyone did. There was not one weak link in this movie in terms of acting.

And yes, more Quicksilver in the future, please.

look at my previous post. I think we have the identical questions.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=669459&p=16844190
:hifive:

I really enjoyed it. The kids did too. Yes, there were references to other movies, but not enough so that we didn't understand what was going on. Now we're going to go back on watch the others.

The sentinels were really cool- both versions. The difference in technology reminded me a bit of Terminator 2.

I really enjoyed it. The kids did too. Yes, there were references to other movies, but not enough so that we didn't understand what was going on.
You probably don't even know half the references you missed unless you read up on the other movies.

It will become more clear once you watch them in the correct order and then understand all the sub plots, cameos etc.

The movie was constructed very well. All 6 other movies were referenced, some numerous times, but they still made a movie that a new viewer could enjoy while just killing it for the hardcore fans tieing everything together.

This all but assures more XMen movies now

====================

“X-Men: Days of Future Past” steamrolled the competition on its way to an estimated $90.7 million three-day Memorial Day weekend haul in North America, and added a huge $171 million from overseas for a whopping $261 million first weekend globally. Fox's Marvel Comics-based mutant mashup still has Monday to go, and should wind up with around $107 million domestically over the long holiday weekend.

Just got back and really enjoyed it. It stands up to First Class, XM1 and XM2 in quality.

I have not been that entertained by a single scene in a long time as the wonderful Time in a Bottle scene.

Two questions and one comment.

1) First about the ending

Are we suppose to now believe Logan does not have the metal skeleton because Mystique saved him from Stryker and if so what would that mean to a 3rd Wolverine movie?
2) Second, the after credit scene

This was beautifully shot. The 4 horsemen on the hill in the background representing the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse was very clever imo. I know they are hoping to do an Age of Apocalypse movie. Will that be the younger cast?
3) Comment

Wished they had spent 30 seconds on a quick explanation of how future Charles got his body back beyond the throw away line at the end of The Wolverine. Similarly, a ultra short explanation on how future Logan got his metal claws back would have been helpful, but these are just small nits
Everyone in our theater was also WTF? about the after credits scene and one guy called out "Anyone know what that was?" so I screamed out the answer and people let out a collective "ahhhhhh!" Quite cute.

In the scene where Wolverine snaps Xavier out of the funk, he said there are is lot of pain in the future, but it should not be altered because of the amount of good Xavier does provide for them. Then tells him to remember Jean, Scott ,etc. I feel this is supposed to explain why Jean and Scott are still alive. I think mystic pulls Logan out of the water to basically hand him over to Stryker at the request of Xavier. As they are the only ones to know where he is.

Very well done. I knew it was him and I think it will be done with the older cast. because of the scew in timeline the writers can now use a blank slate in developing any future movies. Sinister can now capture Jean and Scott or make reference to it. Jean could still be The Phoenix, but able to have more control, etc.

I have read on-line accounts that Xavier took control over his twin's body. :yucky: But that still does not explain why he would need a wheelchair in the future if he took over a new body. Considering the context of where the future Xavier was (in battle) trying to explain this would have been out of place IMO.
ETA: Is this the first time Marvel movie had the F word in it? Seems like they made a huge point to exaggerate it to give the audience a true sense of how Xavier was a much different person at that time.

Just got back and really enjoyed it. It stands up to First Class, XM1 and XM2 in quality.

I have not been that entertained by a single scene in a long time as the wonderful Time in a Bottle scene.

Are we suppose to now believe Logan does not have the metal skeleton because Mystique saved him from Stryker and if so what would that mean to a 3rd Wolverine movie?

This was beautifully shot. The 4 horsemen on the hill in the background representing the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse was very clever imo. I know they are hoping to do an Age of Apocalypse movie. Will that be the younger cast?
3) Comment

Wished they had spent 30 seconds on a quick explanation of how future Charles got his body back beyond the throw away line at the end of The Wolverine. Similarly, a ultra short explanation on how future Logan got his metal claws back would have been helpful, but these are just small nits
Everyone in our theater was also WTF? about the after credits scene and one guy called out "Anyone know what that was?" so I screamed out the answer and people let out a collective "ahhhhhh!" Quite cute.

In the scene where Wolverine snaps Xavier out of the funk, he said there are is lot of pain in the future, but it should not be altered because of the amount of good Xavier does provide for them. Then tells him to remember Jean, Scott ,etc. I feel this is supposed to explain why Jean and Scott are still alive. I think mystic pulls Logan out of the water to basically hand him over to Stryker at the request of Xavier. As they are the only ones to know where he is.

Very well done. I knew it was him and I think it will be done with the older cast. because of the scew in timeline the writers can now use a blank slate in developing any future movies. Sinister can now capture Jean and Scott or make reference to it. Jean could still be The Phoenix, but able to have more control, etc.

I have read on-line accounts that Xavier took control over his twin's body. :yucky: But that still does not explain why he would need a wheelchair in the future if he took over a new body. Considering the context of where the future Xavier was (in battle) trying to explain this would have been out of place IMO.
ETA: Is this the first time Marvel movie had the F word in it? Seems like they made a huge point to exaggerate it to give the audience a true sense of how Xavier was a much different person at that time.

No that scene was a direct play off of Wolverine's cameo in First Class, when Xavier and Magneto find him in a bar and he tells them to F--- off.

3) Comment

No that scene was a direct play off of Wolverine's cameo in First Class, when Xavier and Magneto find him in a bar and he tells them to F--- off.

ah, forgot about that.

I've seen all 6 xmen movies but it's been a while. Anything I should specifically look for that will help tie the plot together for me when I see it? I don't know the comics that well.

I've seen all 6 xmen movies but it's been a while. Anything I should specifically look for that will help tie the plot together for me when I see it? I don't know the comics that well.
If you have seen all 6 your are fine.

Try and remember Wolverine's back story from XMen 2 as that would be an important sub plot. First Class was not that long ago so you should be ok there with all the various story lines.

You can always go to Wiki and spend a few minutes just reading the plots of each movie just to refresh yourself.

3) Comment

More info has come out on #2.

XMen Apocalypse will focus on the younger cast including new Jean Gray and Scott, but will include a segment of the older cast. Do not read the below if you have not seen the DOFP movie yet.

http://screenrant.com/x-men-apocalypse-original-cast/

Quicksilver was Michael Scott's nephew... the one that brought coffee and was spanked. Was bugging me.

Also bugging me was Stryker. He was in The Pacific as one of the marines. Thought hes been around more.
Um...no. He is that awesome kid from American Horror Story.

Brady Marino said:
Just saw it and it was so, so good. To me, this is easily the best movie of the series, and with the cast they've managed to assemble, I'm giddy about the possibilities for what's in store with the next one.

McAvoy's performance as the younger Xavier was one of the best comic book movie performances period. I still think Ledger's Joker is the performance to beat, but McAvoy really did a wonderful job, IMO. Really, everyone did. There was not one weak link in this movie in terms of acting.

And yes, more Quicksilver in the future, please.
:goodposting: on all counts.

just saw it with my 11 yo and 5 yo sons. Parts were a little to intense for the 5yo, but he enjoyed most of it.

Really one of the best comic movies yet. I don't remember being this impressed with one since the firs batman and that was just because I was young. (in hindsight it kind of sucked)

easily ranks up there with the last two batman movies, the winter soldier, and Avengers.

All that said, the lack of an explanation for Charles being alive bothered me. seems that could have been easily explained.

All that said, the lack of an explanation for Charles being alive bothered me. seems that could have been easily explained.
They needed 30 seconds to clear this up.

We know that at end of XMen 3 he transferred his consciousness to the guy in the hospital bed.

We know that at the end of The Wolverine he is back in his own body with a simple line of "you are not the only one with powers".

They just needed something to explain how he got his body back.

Oh well, such is the way of Super Hero movies I guess :)

This is the first movie I have seen in this series, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

After seeing this today, I want to see all the others. Is there a prescribed order I should see them in? Chronologically?

The Quicksilver scene was likely the funniest scene I've ever seen in a movie. My 6yo son was laughing just as hard as I was. Brilliant!!!

This is the first movie I have seen in this series, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

After seeing this today, I want to see all the others. Is there a prescribed order I should see them in? Chronologically?

The Quicksilver scene was likely the funniest scene I've ever seen in a movie. My 6yo son was laughing just as hard as I was. Brilliant!!!
X1, X2, X3, First ClassForget the Wolverine ones.

Is there any significance to Stark Industries from Ironman and Trask or whatever it's called in this movie? Just seemed odd that it was so close. And the Centinels also reminded me of Ironman as well.

First Wolverine isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is, IMO. It's better than X3 for instance. I'd rank the movies:

Days of Future Past

X2

First Class

X1

Wolvy 1

X3

Wolvy 2

Is there any significance to Stark Industries from Ironman and Trask or whatever it's called in this movie? Just seemed odd that it was so close. And the Centinels also reminded me of Ironman as well.
Its a great point. If they have sentinels when Nixon is in office, why are they impressed by iron man 40 years later? Use suspension of disbelief and just enjoy the show.

X-Men first class is the best story, especially if you are unfamiliar with the characters and don't know who ultimately sides with who. People should see that one first before any other. Days of Future Past is right up there though.

X-Men first class is the best story, especially if you are unfamiliar with the characters and don't know who ultimately sides with who. People should see that one first before any other. Days of Future Past is right up there though.
It's a great story.

I feel like they really tried to railroad that "time is a river" bull#### as a deus ex machina device.

I was really hoping this movie would be used as a retcon of 1-3, but they still found a way to mess up the continuity.

First Wolverine isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is, IMO. It's better than X3 for instance. I'd rank the movies:Days of Future Past

X2

First Class

X1

Wolvy 1

X3

Wolvy 2
By wolvy 1 do you mean origins?

Thought that was the worst of the group and I confuse parts with the wolverine.

Here's how I rank the X-films now

Top tier - All excellent

X2

First Class

DOFP

Second tier - Good, not great

X-Men

The Wolverine

Third tier - not so good

Origins

Last Stand

I think Origins is actually okay if you watch it and just pretend it somehow takes place in a different continuity from all the other X-films. It's so bad in that respect they effectively ignored it for DOFP.

Here's how I rank the X-films now

Top tier - All excellent

X2

First Class

DOFP

Second tier - Good, not great

X-Men

The Wolverine

Third tier - not so good

Origins

Last Stand

I think Origins is actually okay if you watch it and just pretend it somehow takes place in a different continuity from all the other X-films. It's so bad in that respect they effectively ignored it for DOFP.
:goodposting:

This is a pretty good ordering. I would use the same tiers but invert the order of the first tier:

DOFP

First Class

X2

X1

The Wolverine

Wolverine Origins

X3

I might create a new tier for X3 because I really hated it, as opposed to being more ambivalent to Origins.

Saw this yesterday. Really enjoyed it. Rented Origins:Wolverine (my wife hadn't seen it) and The Wolverine (both of us hadn't seen it) right after it because my wife hadn't seen them. Really made it obvious just how good DOFP when compared to these movies (I actually liked Origins when I first saw a few years ago).

The only thing which bothered me about DOFP is the continuity, especially considering the Origins movie, regarding Stryker. He's somehow younger and doesn't know the Wolverine in DOFP after basically leading Wolverine for several years after meeting him in Vietnam. At this point, I just wish the newer movies would flat out tell us to ignore Origins or something (they could even do it in a joking manner or something making fun of it). Surprisingly the Xavier thing didn't bother me as much nor did Yukio not being there.

Saw this yesterday. Really enjoyed it. Rented Origins:Wolverine (my wife hadn't seen it) and The Wolverine (both of us hadn't seen it) right after it because my wife hadn't seen them. Really made it obvious just how good DOFP when compared to these movies (I actually liked Origins when I first saw a few years ago).

The only thing which bothered me about DOFP is the continuity, especially considering the Origins movie, regarding Stryker. He's somehow younger and doesn't know the Wolverine in DOFP after basically leading Wolverine for several years after meeting him in Vietnam. At this point, I just wish the newer movies would flat out tell us to ignore Origins or something (they could even do it in a joking manner or something making fun of it). Surprisingly the Xavier thing didn't bother me as much nor did Yukio not being there.
Continuity is my main gripe in the movie series. The timeline is a joke now, but it's still entertaining.

Solid movie. I chose simply to ignore the continuity issues and just focus on what they brought to the table that day even if it was incredibly difficult to get past Xavier being alive and well in that body.

Really at the end of the day.. what bugged me was how much money Ian McKellen and Halle Berry probably made for what amounted to very little screen time and very few actual lines.

Really at the end of the day.. what bugged me was how much money Ian McKellen and Halle Berry probably made for what amounted to very little screen time and very few actual lines.
I chuckled that Anna Paquin got higher billing than most of the X-Men that were in the movie and she barely had 3 seconds of screen time.

For those that saw the scene at the end of the credits: I'm interested to see where they take Apocalypse in movie form.

I chuckled that Anna Paquin got higher billing than most of the X-Men that were in the movie and she barely had 3 seconds of screen time.
For those that saw the scene at the end of the credits: I'm interested to see where they take Apocalypse in movie form.
They cut her scene entirely at one point but then put it back in after a stink was raised.

They cut her scene entirely at one point but then put it back in after a stink was raised.
I actually legitimately wonder how much someone like Famke Jansen, the guy who plays Cyclops, Anna Paquin, etc. make for pure cameo appearances like that.

They cut her scene entirely at one point but then put it back in after a stink was raised.That was not the scene. They shot footage of her being stuck at the Mansion which had been turned into a Sentinal prison and she was rescued by other XMen. It is hoped that that scene will get into an extended Blu Ray cut.

Users who are viewing this thread