What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Danusha Goska: Why I am no longer a leftist (1 Viewer)

As if writing hundreds of overly-detailed Amazon reviews isn't evidence enough that this woman is off her rocker, just try reading some of them.

The best part is that she got her argle-bargle published by a magazine that calls itself "American Thinker."

6) I believe in God.

Read Marx and discover a mythology that is irreconcilable with any other narrative, including the Bible. Hang out in leftist internet environments, and you will discover a toxic bath of irrational hatred for the Judeo-Christian tradition. You will discover an alternate vocabulary in which Jesus is a “dead Jew on a stick” or a “zombie” and any belief is an arbitrary sham, the equivalent of a recently invented “flying spaghetti monster.” You will discover historical revisionism that posits Nazism as a Christian denomination. You will discover a rejection of the Judeo-Christian foundation of Western Civilization and American concepts of individual rights and law. You will discover a nihilist void, the kind of vacuum of meaning that nature abhors and that, all too often, history fills with the worst totalitarian nightmares, the rough beast that slouches toward Bethlehem.
This is dead on accurate.No room for Christian liberals unless you want a lifetime of mockery.
That is asinine.
Sorry, I should have been more concise. By Christian I meant active, practicing evangelical type Christians. I'm sure anyone can keep their beliefs to themselves and not have a problem.
We have entire Baptist congregations here that are well known for their liberalism. Try again.

Some very predictable comments in here:

- she's too wordy, too stupid, its poorly written

- the other side does it, too

- she never really was a leftist

- :lmao:

So now that we have all of those out of the way, anyone want a real discussion? :popcorn:
Sure. what would you like to have a real discussion about?

Typical reaction by the liberals in here. No acknowledgement of truths, no responsibility, no open mindedness. Instinct is to blame, hate, call names. Even if this "writer" is fake many of her points are valid. And sure you could make some of those same points about the conservatives, but this exercise was about looking in the mirror. You failed.

Typical reaction by the liberals in here. No acknowledgement of truths, no responsibility, no open mindedness. Instinct is to blame, hate, call names. Even if this "writer" is fake many of her points are valid. And sure you could make some of those same points about the conservatives, but this exercise was about looking in the mirror. You failed.
So disappointed that I failed a test based on the scribblings of a crackpot. Just your typical leftist here I guess!

6) I believe in God.

Read Marx and discover a mythology that is irreconcilable with any other narrative, including the Bible. Hang out in leftist internet environments, and you will discover a toxic bath of irrational hatred for the Judeo-Christian tradition. You will discover an alternate vocabulary in which Jesus is a “dead Jew on a stick” or a “zombie” and any belief is an arbitrary sham, the equivalent of a recently invented “flying spaghetti monster.” You will discover historical revisionism that posits Nazism as a Christian denomination. You will discover a rejection of the Judeo-Christian foundation of Western Civilization and American concepts of individual rights and law. You will discover a nihilist void, the kind of vacuum of meaning that nature abhors and that, all too often, history fills with the worst totalitarian nightmares, the rough beast that slouches toward Bethlehem.
This is dead on accurate.No room for Christian liberals unless you want a lifetime of mockery.
That is asinine.
Sorry, I should have been more concise. By Christian I meant active, practicing evangelical type Christians. I'm sure anyone can keep their beliefs to themselves and not have a problem.
We have entire Baptist congregations here that are well known for their liberalism. Try again.
Oh, OK. There is a church somewhere "known for their liberalism".

Sorry. I won't use hyperbole around you guys anymore.

The point is, are you guys honestly saying that an outspoken Christian won't be mocked for their beliefs in many liberal circles? I'll admit that this board is essentially my only exposure to the liberal elements of our country, but I know for a fact that I get ridiculed for my religion on a regular basis by the liberals around here. I wouldn't feel comfortable if that was the primary social circle. I would feel as ridiculed as I'm sure an atheist feels in a right wing circle. I think (Hulk) has expressed many times how uncomfortable he feels in his workplace as an atheist because it is a very right wing group of people.

Any time you are the exception to the rule, there is mocking, ridicule and scorn. Society is that way from preschool until death. Its not exactly breaking news, but apparently many liberals don't even realize they do it to Christians just like many conservatives don't realize how unwelcoming they are to non-Christians.

So disappointed that I failed a test based on the scribblings of a crackpot. Just your typical leftist here I guess!
Yes, yes you are.

I read this a couple weeks ago when it was originally posted. Its always interesting to see why a liberal would "convert" so to speak.

to me, in the here and now, the modern liberal has some real contradictions to overcome that aren't being well thought out or discussed, because IMO they cause to much mental incongruence

for example:

the desire to help the poor and downtrodden Americans vs the desire to have wide open southern border which undercuts wages & jobs for those same poor.

the sensitivity to all things considered sexist or paternalistic in this country vs the ignoring of heinous crimes against women in Islamic world.

the classic ideal of "liberal" values of free speech, expression, truth to power vs the modern liberal desire to squelch free speech on the internet, in the news, on campus. This is especially obvious in the news today, where major old school networks refuse to report certain stories that are deemed harmful to Democrats, and where DOJ and the White House has colluded with media to frame stories.

So now that we have all of those out of the way, anyone want a real discussion? :popcorn:
I think #8 is a great point for discussion. Why are liberals so insistent on doing something that they often provide little to no real benefit? In other words, they mistake action for progress. And why can't they realize that sometimes doing nothing is actually the best course of action?

I fear (and the article seems to indicate this as well) that they aren't really out to help others, but to make themselves feel better, or making themselves look better to their friends. It isn't really about what they say it is about and is a big turn off, yet people rarely call them out on it because the are "doing something" about the problem even though what they do doesn't really help. Its a lot like a Christian who feels better after dropping a few bucks in the offering plate but goes ahead and cheats on his taxes.

6) I believe in God.

That is asinine.

The point is, are you guys honestly saying that an outspoken Christian won't be mocked for their beliefs in many liberal circles? I'll admit that this board is essentially my only exposure to the liberal elements of our country, but I know for a fact that I get ridiculed for my religion on a regular basis by the liberals around here. I wouldn't feel comfortable if that was the primary social circle. I would feel as ridiculed as I'm sure an atheist feels in a right wing circle. I think (Hulk) has expressed many times how uncomfortable he feels in his workplace as an atheist because it is a very right wing group of people.

Any time you are the exception to the rule, there is mocking, ridicule and scorn. Society is that way from preschool until death. Its not exactly breaking news, but apparently many liberals don't even realize they do it to Christians just like many conservatives don't realize how unwelcoming they are to non-Christians.
This board is the only place you run into libs? Goodness. I just figured you brought up your faith here because of the anonymity of a message board. Do people really talk about it in the real world? Nobody does where I live and work. Everybody figures it's personal.

10) In the left, I found a desire to be in pain constantly, so as always to have something to protest, from one’s history of incest to the inability of handicapped people to mount flights of stairs.

9) The left’s selective outrage convinced me that much canonical, left-wing feminism is not so much support for women, as it is a protest against Western, heterosexual men.

7) Leftists hate my people. ... Leftists wanted us to slough off our ethnic identities and join in the international proletarian brotherhood. ... leftists, in the academy, in media, and in casual speech, blamed working-class ethnics for American crimes, including racism and the “imperialist” war in Vietnam. ... A blue-collar white kid, who feels lost and friendless on the alien terrain of a university campus, a campus he has to leave immediately after class so he can get to his fulltime job at MacDonald’s, must accept that he is a recipient of “white privilege” – if he wants to get good grades in mandatory classes on racism.

6) Hang out in leftist internet environments, and you will discover a toxic bath of irrational hatred for the Judeo-Christian tradition. You will discover an alternate vocabulary in which Jesus is a “dead Jew on a stick” or a “zombie”5) Straw men

I think #8 is a great point for discussion. Why are liberals so insistent on doing something that they often provide little to no real benefit? In other words, they mistake action for progress. And why can't they realize that sometimes doing nothing is actually the best course of action?
You mean like praying?

6) I believe in God.

That is asinine.

This board is the only place you run into libs? Goodness. I just figured you brought up your faith here because of the anonymity of a message board. Do people really talk about it in the real world? Nobody does where I live and work. Everybody figures it's personal.
Every single person I work with is an active member of their church. We pray before company lunches and talk about Bible verses during company time. Only me and my boss knew each other before any of us worked together.

I've talked to complete strangers about my faith many times IRL.

You mean like praying?
Sorry kid, the big boys would like to talk in here. Go play with your friends somewhere.

Giving Goska the benefit of the doubt, I went to her blog, which link to this recent piece she wrote about Kaci Hickox.

A small excerpt from the linked piece:

Shelby Steele talks about this in White Guilt. Some whites chose to be part of black liberation because being part of black liberation elevated their status.

I don't know Kaci Hickox, but I do see her behavior.

She insists that she can break rules that lesser mortals must follow. She insists that she can break those rules because her thought processes are superior to ours. She is guided by SCIENCE she insists, while the rest of us act on FEAR and IGNORANCE and POLITICS. I'm using all caps in an attempt to mirror, on the page, her stridency.

Her arrogance is a horrific public example. Would you want everyone in America to make similar decisions? "I am smarter and better; others are stupider and worse; therefore, I need not follow the rules that the little people must follow."

Maybe Hickox is correct. If she is, there are avenues she can follow to change rules. She could approach leaders respectfully. She has fame on her side. Even from quarantine, she could have been interviewed by CNN. That's not what she chose to do.

But Hickox is not correct. It's not just that Hickox refuses to follow rules the rest of us must follow. It's that she is also wrong. The quarantine is reasonable. Hickox says that only symptomatic people need quarantine themselves. In fact people can be symptomatic and make bad decisions, as did the nurse Amber Vinson, who developed a fever and then got on a plane. In fact hospital staff can make bad decisions about symptomatic people, as happened with Thomas Eric Duncan. He reported a fever and travel in Africa and was sent home. In fact people can rapidly become symptomatic after appearing to be asymptomatic. Craig Spencer, the doctor who went bowling and used the subway, became symptomatic shortly after his public peregrinations. There is no guarantee that Ebola sufferers can quarantine themselves rapidly after becoming symptomatic. If Spencer had started vomiting on the subway, which easily could have happened, more lives would have been at risk. In fact people can take antipyretics and disguise symptoms. In other words, yes, there are good reasons for the quarantine. And, no, Kaci Hickox, you are not the arbiter of what constitutes science. Or, as you would say it, SCIENCE. And, no, we are not all ignorant peasants over whom you can reign.

And, no, Kaci Hickox, your service does not make you better than I or anyone else.

I served in Africa, too. I served about two hundred miles from the Ebola River. I almost died twice when I was a Peace Corps Volunteer, and I've had some health problems since directly related to my Peace Corps service.

And I never, ever, felt that my service, my near fatal experiences, or my continued health challenges made me better than anyone.

It isn't your service that makes you different from me, Kaci Hickox. It is, rather, your arrogance, and your eagerness to exploit your contact with Africans to make you better than Americans.
Oooof. No wonder she voted Romney. She's a moron.
Typical left elitist putting down the working class. Good thing you guys helped this moron to get health insurance she was clearly too stupid to figure it out.

You mean like praying?
Sorry kid, the big boys would like to talk in here. Go play with your friends somewhere.
:confused: I was being serious. "doing nothing" is not a couse of "action".

Not sure what you were are getting at?

6) I believe in God.

That is asinine.

Every single person I work with is an active member of their church. We pray before company lunches and talk about Bible verses during company time. Only me and my boss knew each other before any of us worked together.

How did you manage that? Do you only hire Evangelicals? Not one person in your company doesn't believe? Last poll I saw said 20% of Americans either identified as Atheist or Agnostic.

The problem with stuff like this is that they always concentrate on the most extreme elements of the side they don't like. She could have written, just as easily: "I used to be a conservative until I discovered that they were all racists!"
Timmay, she already did this she pointed out that the Leftists are all racists.

6) I believe in God.

That is asinine.

I would be burned at the stake in your world. What do the non-believers do when everybody else prays before company lunches? I can't fathom being in that environment (even though I'm from a place where the county commissioners insist on praying before conducting business -- amazing to me).

It occurs to me that I don't know the religious affiliations of my three best friends nor anyone with whom I work.

Last edited by a moderator:
6) I believe in God.

That is asinine.

How did you manage that? Do you only hire Evangelicals? Not one person in your company doesn't believe? Last poll I saw said 20% of Americans either identified as Atheist or Agnostic.
It is very common where I live which is an upper-middle class 98% white community in the self-proclaimed "buckle" of the Bible belt. There are probably more evangelical churches per capita here than anywhere in the country.

6) I believe in God.

That is asinine.

I would be burned at the stake in your world. What do the non-believers do when everybody else prays before company lunches? I can't fathom being in that environment (even though I'm from a place where the county commissioners insist on praying before conducting business -- amazing to me).

It occurs to me that I don't know the religious affiliations of my three best friends nor anyone with whom I work.
There are only six of us, and there are no non-Christians that work for us. If you mean when we are out in public, seeing a group of people praying before a meal at a restaurant is a very common occurrence here.

6) I believe in God.

That is asinine.

There are only six of us, and there are no non-Christians that work for us. If you mean when we are out in public, seeing a group of people praying before a meal at a restaurant is a very common occurrence here.
Well, I will go to the wall for your right to do that but I'll also try to convince you to stop. All that traditional faith cannot be helpful for the country's progress. Fortunately, I don't think you're going to be able to maintain your numbers in the long haul. By and large, the millennials aren't having much of it.

I'm getting way too into this, but I admit this kind of thing fascinates me. Reading through her website now, I wonder if this woman isn't a bit schizophrenic. The bizarre religious ramblings, the incredibly awkward interpersonal encounters, and this overarching sense of detachment from people you can see in her writing. For the anniversary of the Newtown tragedy, her gesture of goodwill toward the community was to donate a copy of her book to the local library.

I'm getting way too into this, but I admit this kind of thing fascinates me. Reading through her website now, I wonder if this woman isn't a bit schizophrenic. The bizarre religious ramblings, the incredibly awkward interpersonal encounters, and this overarching sense of detachment from people you can see in her writing. For the anniversary of the Newtown tragedy, her gesture of goodwill toward the community was to donate a copy of her book to the local library.
Wasn't she against doing something that actually accomplished nothing?

Only a hate-filled leftist would view such a meaningful gesture of healing as delusional and self-aggrandizing behavior

Well, I will go to the wall for your right to do that but I'll also try to convince you to stop. All that traditional faith cannot be helpful for the country's progress. Fortunately, I don't think you're going to be able to maintain your numbers in the long haul. By and large, the millennials aren't having much of it.
Do not mistake Christianity for a lack of progress. They too often go hand in hand, but aren't 100% correlated.

And while the Christian faith is dwindling in sheer numbers, I'd argue it is really a much needed pruning. If someone is just going to follow along with the religion halfheartedly and blindly, I'd rather they not follow at all. Jesus had no place for the moderately interested and the church is really better off without people who aren't truly committed.

However as far as the growth of Christianity goes, worldwide....it is actually growing as a % of the world's population, not shrinking.

I think that there's a lot of worthwhile points here, but it's interesting that few (any?) of the points are actually about idealogical positions. It's more about douchebaggy people.

And the left does not have a monopoly on douchebags.
They do have hotels on Boardwalk and Park Place though.

Jesus had no place for the moderately interested
Really?

6) I believe in God.

That is asinine.

Next Bible chat why don't you guys discuss Matthew and public prayer a bit?

I'll admit that this board is essentially my only exposure to the liberal elements of our country,
This is a great thing about the FFA. It's pretty much my only real exposure to the views of evangelical Christians and conservatives like you seem to encounter all the time. There are evangelicals and conservatives around here, but not all that many, and I don't have these sorts of discussions with them.

:hifive:

Danusha Goska: Why I am no longer allowed to drive a car or manage my own affairs
Weird how these responses about being mentally indigent make me side with her.

If you disagree, and you use amateurish psychology to address your issues with a political position, you're nuts?

And people that viewed everything through a radical revolutionary lens and were responsible for mass murders (e.g., the communists she's addressing for the most part) weren't absolutely crazy?

I fear (and the article seems to indicate this as well) that they aren't really out to help others, but to make themselves feel better, or making themselves look better to their friends. It isn't really about what they say it is about and is a big turn off, yet people rarely call them out on it because the are "doing something" about the problem even though what they do doesn't really help. Its a lot like a Christian who feels better after dropping a few bucks in the offering plate but goes ahead and cheats on his taxes.
I would say that the example she gives in #8 is the opposite of the "it's the thought that counts" model. I think providing competent representation for those who are too poor to defend themselves is an essential part of the American justice system, and I think it's viewed as more of a "liberal" idea (the states that didn't automatically provide lawyers until Gideon were almost all in the south) and the people who typically serve as public defenders are typically both (1) overworked and underpaid, and (2) liberal.

Jesus had no place for the moderately interested
Really?
52Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”

53Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.58This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

60On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?”

61Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you? 62Then what if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! 63The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirite and life. 64Yet there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. 65He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.”

66From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.
And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. 25 For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? 26 For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.
If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple.

I'll admit that this board is essentially my only exposure to the liberal elements of our country,
This is a great thing about the FFA. It's pretty much my only real exposure to the views of evangelical Christians and conservatives like you seem to encounter all the time. There are evangelicals and conservatives around here, but not all that many, and I don't have these sorts of discussions with them.

Don't forget that our Central Maryland Sinners' Society meeting won't be held next week because we'll all be getting drunk for the holiday.

Next Bible chat why don't you guys discuss Matthew and public prayer a bit?
I assume you mean this passage: "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."

Huddled as a group praying at our table so that only we can hear is a different situation, don't you think? This verse speaks to the matters of the heart (motivation). If you are praying to receive praise from those around you for being so holy and praying then you are doing it wrong.

Jesus himself spoke many prayers aloud in public.

Don't forget that our Central Maryland Sinners' Society meeting won't be held next week because we'll all be getting drunk for the holiday.
Was wondering why I hadn't gotten the email yet

I'll go through and discuss the parts I found worthwhile.

10) Huffiness.

... Reading this anecdote, I felt that I was confronting the signature essence of my social life among leftists. We rushed to cast everyone in one of three roles: victim, victimizer, or champion of the oppressed.
This is an overstatement, but I do think that liberals tend to view things in terms of oppressors and oppressed more often than conservatives do. That's part of Arnold Kling's hypothesis in Three Languages of Politics, and I think its predictions tend to be impressively accurate. If you're trying to guess what side of an issue liberals will be on, and what side conservatives will be on, go through the following exercise. (1) To the extent possible, try to identify which side is being oppressed, and which side is doing the oppressing. The liberals will take the side of the first group. (2) To the extent possible, try to identify which side is upholding civilization and which side is acting kind of barbarous. The conservatives will take the side of the first group. Kling doesn't argue that anything like that thought process is actually occurring in liberals or conservatives -- not consciously, at least -- only that its predictions are accurate. Every time I've applied it to an issue, it does seem to hit the mark.

Take the Georgetown mugging thread as an example. The story was written by a liberal. It's normal to view a mugger as an oppressor and his victim as the oppressed. But the author came up with a different angle: he viewed society as the oppressor and the mugger as the oppressed. It's kind of a contrarian spin, but it resonates a bit with other liberals. A lot of inner city youths are oppressed. Maybe we shouldn't judge them too harshly for turning to mugging until we've walked a mile in their shoes. Maybe we should instead blame the capitalist system that puts them in such a dire situation that they turn to mugging. It's not entirely persuasive because muggers are oppressors in a very real sense; but it turns the tables in an interesting way that many liberals will be somewhat drawn to.

The conservative reaction is that liberals are nuts to entertain such thoughts. Oppressed, oppressors, who cares? They're muggers! They're undermining the rule of law, making the streets less safe. If they had a hard childhood, I'm sorry, but the answer isn't to hasten the decay of civilization!

In any case, I don't see Goska's observation as a criticism of liberals (although I recognize that she meant it that way). There's nothing wrong with sticking up for the oppressed. But I do see her observation as an accurate distinction between liberals and conservatives: liberals tend to be more concerned with sticking up for the oppressed in the face of oppressors while conservatives seem to be more concerned with upholding a safe, orderly society in the face of barbarism.

And I think it's appropriate to criticize liberals when they tend to focus too exclusively on the oppressor-oppressed axis while ignoring the civilization-barbarism axis (and vice versa with conservatives). Each axis can be the more appropriate or more useful one in different situations; and if you view everything through just one lens or the other all the time (even if it's not a conscious thought-process) you're going to fail to acknowledge that the other side has a legitimate point here and there -- which means that you're probably going to be a hypocritical jerk.

9) Selective Outrage

I was a graduate student. Female genital mutilation came up in class. I stated, without ornamentation, that it is wrong.

A fellow graduate student, one who was fully funded and is now a comfortably tenured professor, sneered at me. “You are so intolerant. Clitoredectomy is just another culture’s rite of passage. You Catholics have confirmation.”
This is a good example of what I was just talking about. It's a gross overgeneralization to say that all liberals remain quiet about female genital mutilation. But as a group, they're probably quieter than they would be if the mutilators didn't themselves in many ways belong to an oppressed group.

Just as a liberal may be less outraged when a mugger is an oppressed minority, he may also be less outraged when a genital mutilator is an oppressed third-worlder.

This is a situation where a good dose of civilization-barbarism thinking would probably do some good (genital mutilation is pretty barbaric); but that's totally a conservative thing, and liberals don't want to let conservatives score points. Most liberals will not go so far as to defend the mutilators, but they may just stay a bit quieter about it since directing their outrage at a barbarous practice done by an arguably oppressed people feels like a concession, somehow, to Team Conservative.

(This goes both ways of course. Conservatives also stay relatively quiet about things that seem to score points for the liberal worldview -- police misconduct involving race may be an example.)

5 & 4) Straw men and “In order to make an omelet you have to break a few eggs.”

It astounds me now to reflect on it, but never, in all my years of leftist activism, did I ever hear anyone articulate accurately the position of anyone to our right. In fact, I did not even know those positions when I was a leftist.
I'd say both sides do this in roughly equal amounts. She's right to call it out on the left; she's wrong to use it as a reason to join the right.

A lot of the rest of her psychologizing I found shallow.

5 & 4) Straw men and In order to make an omelet you have to break a few eggs.

It astounds me now to reflect on it, but never, in all my years of leftist activism, did I ever hear anyone articulate accurately the position of anyone to our right. In fact, I did not even know those positions when I was a leftist.
I'd say both sides do this in roughly equal amounts. She's right to call it out on the left; she's wrong to use it as a reason to join the right.

I am not sure I agree on this point that both sides do this equally in this case. Maybe it is because liberals tend to control the learning institutions and much of the media, but from what I see the left is far more likely to surpress and not even acknowledge the other side, and when they do it is often in the form of a strawman such as insisting the other side is purely motivated by racism or money. Even on this forum that tactic is used by the liberal side much more often than by the right.

The writer of the article failed the exercise of looking in the mirror. She looked in the mirror, saw herself, and thought it was other people.

Her reviews are pretty funny though. Not intentionally, but...................

Jayrod said:
6) I believe in God.

That is asinine.
Anything resembling "true" liberalism is always rooted in tolerance of differences. It's right in the definition.

As such, while it's true that lots of liberals will want little if anything to do with a worldview of damnation and proscriptive thinking, they'll still accept your right to engage in it. At the same time, it makes sense that they're going to be especially wary of any religious branch that operates with an evangelical mandate to bring more and more people into that way of thinking. Liberal thought always has to be a balancing act in that way -- that's just part of being tolerant in a diverse world full of people with radically different goals and ideals.

A more works-based, "thy brother's keeper" type of approach to community outreach often gets a lot of respect from liberals, even non-religious ones (myself included). You can disagree with whether such an approach meshes well with scripture as you understand it, but that aside, there are lots of congregations who do espouse those ideals.

I understand there are elements of both those ideals in almost any church or congregation, but as with everything in life, so much depends on where you put the focus. :shrug:

jon_mx said:
Maurile Tremblay said:

I am not sure I agree on this point that both sides do this equally in this case. Maybe it is because liberals tend to control the learning institutions and much of the media, but from what I see the left is far more likely to surpress and not even acknowledge the other side, and when they do it is often in the form of a strawman such as insisting the other side is purely motivated by racism or money. Even on this forum that tactic is used by the liberal side much more often than by the right.
I think you underestimate the extent to which people on the right do the same thing, but you may be correct that people on the left do it more. (By it, I mean failing to understand and ably articulate the other side's arguments, resorting to strawmen instead.)

I think there's been some research showing that conservatives generally understand (i.e., can more accurately predict) liberal positions better than liberals understand conservative positions. It sounds like the kind of research Jonathan Haidt would do, but I couldn't find it in a quick Google search. I think I've posted it in the FFA before. I'm not 100% certain that I don't have the roles reversed, but I'm about 80% certain.

Obviously, the research is limited to a certain context and subject matter, and may not be confirmed by subsequent research, etc. But your general point may be correct.

True, because their 'solution' is not to make omelettes and hope that someone finds a profit motive in it.

I think you underestimate the extent to which people on the right do the same thing, but you may be correct that people on the left do it more. (By it, I mean failing to understand and ably articulate the other side's arguments, resorting to strawmen instead.)
I think there's been some research showing that conservatives generally understand (i.e., can more accurately predict) liberal positions better than liberals understand conservative positions. It sounds like the kind of research Jonathan Haidt would do, but I couldn't find it in a quick Google search. I think I've posted it in the FFA before. I'm not 100% certain that I don't have the roles reversed, but I'm about 80% certain.

Obviously, the research is limited to a certain context and subject matter, and may not be confirmed by subsequent research, etc. But your general point may be correct.
Jonathan Haidt makes some interesting points. A more thought-provoking person on the subject of Liberal vs. Conservative thinking than the lady of the OP. Here is an article on him which was a pretty good read:

Jonathan Haidt on Psychology and Politics

by Todd Zywicki on January 17, 2014 10:22 am
A little while back I read Jonathan Haidt’s book The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion and had the opportunity to meet him and hear him speak at a book party in NYC. I’ve been meaning to say a few things about it and the recent appearance of a piece by Haidt in Time magazine prompts it, an article and a quiz that illustrates his points. If you are not familiar with Haidt or his methodology, I encourage you to click over and do the quick 12 question quiz now before reading further; even if you are, you might go ahead and do it anyway because it is fun and will refresh your memory. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

So what’s Haidt’s argument? His basic idea is twofold. First, that people do not rationally choose their ideologies. You do not come into the political arena as a blank slate and then just examine all the moral and consequential arguments for different policies and pick the one that is most “correct.” Instead, you come into the political arena with subconscious, largely unexamined psychological beliefs. Initially for Haidt what he focused on was ideas of “disgust.” Over time that has broadened and he describes five key vectors or values of psychological morality: (1) care/harm, (2) fairness, (3) loyalty, (4) authority, and (5) sanctity. Haidt finds in his research that self-described “conservatives” tend to value all five vectors of morality (as he defines them). Liberals, by contrast, place a high value on “care” and “fairness” and a lower value on loyalty, authority, and sanctity. On the two values that conservatives and liberals both value (care and fairness) they do not define those terms the same way, although they both value them according to their different definitions.

The second part of Haidt’s argument is that once you have subconsciously chosen your ideology (you don’t rationally choose what the important factors are) you also do not rationally and objectively weigh the evidence as to whether your ideological views are “correct.” Instead, people tend to subconsciously sift the information that they take in: you tend to overvalue evidence that supports your predispositions and dismiss evidence that is inconsistent with it. As a result, “evidence” becomes self-justifying.

In the end, this all becomes very bad for democracy. If people are choosing their ideologies based on their subjective psychological views and if people are subconsciously overweighting confirming evidence and dismissing contrary evidence, then it is hard to see how compromise and persuasion can occur.

Haidt also concludes that his model implies that there is a “conservative advantage” in politics: because conservatives value all five moral vectors and liberals value only two, this means that the conservative worldview will naturally tend to be able to pull in more people than liberalism.

So what to make of all this?

First, on Haidt’s central propositions, my sense is that he is correct. That ideologies are driven primarily by some sort of unexamined subconscious underlying psychological predispositions rather than rational argumentation seems to me to be correct. (Many readers will recognize a strong similarity here to Thomas Sowell’s fabulous book, A Conflict of Visions–a similarity that Haidt himself has noted).

On the other hand, I am not fully persuaded that the precise list of five values that Haidt identifies are necessarily the right list. I’m also not persuaded that they aren’t, but they don’t all seem uniformly persuasive to me. And indeed, in the book Haidt identifies a sixth value: the Liberty/Oppression value. This is not part of the original six, but Haidt says that it provides an explanation for why libertarians and conservatives tend to affiliate with each other. The question I had after reading that, however, is whether that sixth value actually swallows the other five, and so there really is only one key vector. To Haidt, I would add an additional hypothesis, which is that while the Liberty/Oppression axis appears probative for the libertarian-conservative overlap, it plays out differently for libertarians. My sense is that while libertarians root liberty in the individual, conservatives implicitly see the family as the fundamental moral/analytical unit and so “liberty” essentially means more about family autonomy than individual autonomy. The larger point, however, is that I think that the central thrust of the research program–that there are some sorts subconscious psychological assumptions underlying all this, seems right to me.

It also seems to me that his second proposition is correct as well: that given this, in politics people do tend to subconsciously screen their evidence in a manner that tends to confirm their preexisting views and dismissing contrary evidence. This is in a large sense consistent with Bryan Caplan’s work in rational irrationality, which is that in politics (unlike markets) there is essentially no cost to being wrong or holding “incorrect” views, so if you gain any utility from doing so then you will persist in holding those views.

One other point that I find really interesting and important about Haidt’s work is his findings on the ability of different groups to empathize across these ideological divides. So in his book (p. 287) Haidt reports on the following experiment: after determining whether someone is liberal or conservative, he then has each person answer the standard battery of questions as if he were the opposite ideology. So, he would ask a liberal to answer the questions as if he were a “typical conservative” and vice-versa. What he finds is quite striking: “The results were clear and consistent. Moderates and conservatives were most accurate in their predictions, whether they were pretending to be liberals or conservatives. Liberals were the least accurate, especially those who describe themselves as ‘very liberal.’ The biggest errors in the whole study came when liberals answered the Care and Fairness questions while pretending to be conservatives.” In other words, moderates and conservatives can understand the liberal worldview and liberals are unable to relate to the conservative worldview, especially when it comes to questions of care and fairness.

In short, Haidt’s research suggests that many liberals really do believe that conservatives are heartless bastards–or as a friend of mine once remarked, “Conservatives think that liberals are good people with bad ideas, whereas liberals think conservatives are bad people”–and very liberal people think that especially strongly. Haidt suggests that there is some truth to this.

If it is the case that conservatives understand liberals better than liberals understand conservatives, why is that? Haidt’s hypothesis is that it is because conservative values are more overlapping than liberals–conservatives have a “thicker” moral worldview that includes all five values, whereas liberals have a “thinner” view that rests on only two variables. Thus, the liberal moral values are constituent part of the liberal views, but not vice-versa. So conservatives can process and affirm liberal moral views and liberals literally cannot understand how someone could be both moral and conservative–the moral values that might be animating a conservative (say, tradition or loyalty) are essentially seen by liberals as not being worth of moral weight. So conservatives who place weight on those values are literally seen as “immoral.”

As an aside, I think the “thinness” of the liberal moral worldview may explain a phenomenon that has puzzled me, which is the speed at which liberal views harden into orthodoxy and the willingness of liberals to use various forms of compulsion to enforce that orthodoxy. Consider same-sex marriage. For conservatives, this is actually quite a difficult topic and one sees a wide variety of opinion and discussion on the “conservative” side of the fence. “Conservative” opinion is not uniformly opposed to same-sex marriage and conservatives who support same-sex marriage are not ostracized or silenced for doing so. I think Haidt gives a sense why: same-sex marriage cuts across a lot of these moral dimensions in different ways–it simultaneously triggers sanctity (for religious conservatives) and authority (tradition), but it also triggers equality/fairness impulses and care/harm impulses for the individuals affected by it. So conservatives, I think, tend to see it as an issue on which reasonable minds can disagree and that those who hold contrasting views are not generally thought to be immoral or evil. I think this sense that there is room for legitimate disagreement is also consistent with the one near-consensus view of conservatives, which is that regardless of one’s position on the issue there is no constitutional right to same-sex marriage, as opposed to allowing the issue to evolve through democratic processes that permit disparate moral and other views to be heard and compromised.

Liberals, by contrast, appear to broach little disagreement from the orthodoxy on this issue (and others for that matter), and I think Haidt gives us a sense why. If they are processing this only through the care and fairness moral value frameworks, then that implies that only immoral people could be opposed to same-sex marriage. And if these people are immoral, then their opposition is hateful and unjustified. So a notion quickly hardens into an orthodoxy–no moral person could oppose same sex marriage. It is then a logical step to a willingness to demonize and try to silence opponents of same-sex marriage as holding not just wrong-headed but illegitimate views, much like the Inquisition, which was premised on the idea that there is potential harm and no value in tolerating “error.” (‘That’s an oversimplification of the Inquisition, of course.) Ditto for more petty forms of censorship and suppression of speech, such as university speech codes.

One thing about Haidt is that my general impression is that by and large libertarians are often particularly skeptical of Haidt’s methodology and conclusions. To some extent that skepticism is warranted: Haidt (by disposition a liberal) conflates an analytical distinction that is crucial for libertarians: the distinction between an act being immoral and illegal. Haidt implicitly assumes that because an act is thought of as moral (i.e., the desire for everyone to have access to health insurance or recycling) it should be mandated and if something is immoral (i.e., drugs or pornography) it should be prohibited. That obviously conflates two different categories. On the other hand, to some extent that skepticism is unwarranted: libertarians insist on that logical distinction, but the reality is that libertarians are a very small percentage of the population. So, in fact, even if Haidt’s conflation of the two categories is not logically defensible, it seems to me that within the scope of his project it is quite defensible–if he is seeking to simply describe and predict how people think, he seems on solid ground in working from the assumption that most people–liberals and conservatives alike–do not draw that distinction and implicitly do conflate morality and legality.

One final word on libertarians: Haidt has written a completely separate scholarly article analyzing the “Psychological Dispositions of Self-Described Libertarians.” While one can quibble with such things, his findings seem largely persuasive to me. In that article, Haidt applies the same tools to self-described libertarians and concludes that there are distinct psychological correlates to to libertarian morality that distinguished libertarians from both liberals and conservatives. Perhaps most striking is the libertarians emphasis on systematization. Now this, I think, is an important insight. For it explains a point that seems to be highly distinctive to libertarians: the recognition by libertarians, often with a high degree of pride, that libertarianism offers the only “consistent” ideology and that is one of the most compelling aspects of it. Well here’s Haidt’s point: Most people simply do not care whether their ideological views are consistent. For most people (liberals and conservatives), consistency is simply not a relevant variable or axis for determining what you believe or your ideological worldview. This explains, I think, the frequent bewilderment that libertarians face when they try to persuade someone to change their mind about, say, a social policy because it is “inconsistent” with their economic policy beliefs. It simply is not a relevant argument to them. This has obvious implications for communicating libertarian ideas to non-libertarians (i.e., the overwhelming number of people in America!).

Which raises a related point: Haidt finds that libertarians place a much higher emphasis on rationality and logical reasoning than do other ideologies. But that doesn’t mean that libertarian beliefs are less-motivated by unexamined psychological predispositions than other ideologies. Again, take the idea that libertarians believe that “consistency” is a relevant variable for measuring the moral worth or persuasiveness of an ideology. But that is not a self-justifying claim: one still must ask why “consistency” maters or should matter. So while libertarians may place a higher stated value on rational argumentation, that does not mean that libertarian premises are any less built upon subjective psychological foundations.

Also, I think it is possible that there are other measures of psychological attributes that might also be correlated with political ideologies and the like, so I don’t think that Haidt’s model is the only one. I think that more research along those lines would be useful.

Anyway, I’ve hardly done justice to Haidt’s argument. And while I’m not certain I agree with all of his conclusions, I think that his basic insights are more right than not and well worth thinking about.

Thanks for sharing jon-mx. Zywicki was my bankruptcy professor and while I generally disagree with his politics, he's a really nice guy and very bright.

Users who are viewing this thread