What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (4 Viewers)

I think it's possible, maybe even likely, that they'd have gotten Sinnott at their original pick in the 3rd. Maybe not, but only 1 other TE was drafted on day 2, so worst case scenario they could've taken Ja'Tavion Sanders with pick 100 (he went at 101). I'd much much MUCH rather have Cooper DeJean + Ja'Tavion Sanders instead of Mike Sainristil and Ben Sinnott. It's not even close. I stand by calling this a terrible trade that sent an absolute baller CB to a divisional rival.
Can agree that DeJean is further along in his development than Sainristil. DeJean's football IQ is impressive, versatile. Accordingly, brings A+ leadership in every aspect, tackles, which even in the NFL is often $h!++y. Excellent ball skills, with the ability to track & elevate. But to be honest, from what I've read & with the bit of tape I've watched, I'm seeing a safety. A lengthy gait for a CB, making plays that are there to make. According to commanderswire.usatoday, Dan Quinn is going to run a lot of press coverage. So, a small part of this could be a matter of fit.

I'm placing a lot of weight into the fact that this was plan B, I've read that Ben Sinnott bumped his draft stock at the combine. He wasn't a top-30 visit but the team did have a top-30 with Ja' Tavion Sanders, Jared Wiley & Erick All. Primarily other receiving threats and so it would seem that they had Sinnott as the better option by a considerable margin & brought in the others to convince them otherwise. But perhaps with the clarity of who was the best remaining option was the concern over assuming no other team came to the same & obvious conclusion?

Peters & Co. didn't meet with any OL more so than Brandon Coleman. When Plan A failed it would seem likely he became a lock @67. So, as you say, it may well have been about whether Sinnott would still be there @78. Obviously, they decided to trade out of what was primarily a DB run to ensure they got Sinnott.

"He has fantastic interception production, but his movements are more linear than fluid, and he doesn’t have the easy change of direction needed in man coverage on the next level. His best football is played with his eyes forward, using his instincts to challenge quarterbacks and his big downhill burst to smack whatever needs smacking. ... Instinctive zone defender ready to feast on quarterbacks with poor eye discipline." - NFL Draft Tracker

"... lined up all over the field ... always seems to find a way to make a big play regardless of his position. .. well-built frame, but it lacks easy fluidity, which will challenge him when trying to stay with quicker receivers in short-area situations. ... his versatility is a defensive coordinators dream. That said, his current skill set might be best used on the back end of the defense, where he's able to flow downhill & play to his strengths..." - Athlon Sports

"Recruited as a safety... Converted from SS ['21] to primarily CB ['22]... Rocked-up with mass that slightly limits his ability to flip his hips & run with elite athletes or drop & transition from his back-pedal. Jumpy on misdirection & double moves & shows some straight-line tendencies." - Lindy's

"... Showcases great initial burst when triggering on plays and veering to match WRs. ... Boasts impressive long-track recovery and gap-closing speed, hawking in front of balls. ... His ability in zone defense and effectiveness in space suggest he'll make an immediate impact in the NFL. At 6’1”, 209 pounds, he's ideal for zone and off-man schemes, boasting strong space management and quick reactions. Though not the most fluid due to his size, DeJean's athletic and disciplined play in press-man scenarios stands out. ... May ultimately wind up being viewed as a safety rather than a corner..." https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Cooper-DeJean-DB-Iowa

Cooper DeJean highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoZthAYyb8I

Mike Sainristil:
"... tough with the athleticism and upside to keep getting better as a nickel corner. Sainristil is a former receiver who plays with surprising field awareness and attention to detail as a zone defender. He has the twitch and footwork to stay connected with routes in man coverage but needs more experience ." - NFL Draft Tracker

Last edited:
It's not going to happen as a result of a single draft, imo, outliers like Houston's turnaround aside.
Great news! We only have to wait until September. Given the ocean of newness, their opponents aren't going to know what to do! lol Jayden Daniels, rather lean frame, takes off & runs & doesn't always go down. Worse, he runs very upright & the likelihood of him being Brady-babied is, well, zero of course! Hopefully, lesson one is knowing when the journey is over & getting on the ground. Paramount that he understands they need him to get back up in one piece & return to the huddle.

From a historical standpoint, QBs have come in all shapes & sizes & the rate of failure, equal. But Daniels is of a certain classification, the sort who have never had any sustained success, not really, not comparatively. But, I love teams that add & this team definitely has, I'm all in. Daniels, McLauren, Robinson, Dotson & that DEF/ST. The Bears, same thing.

DC's RFK Stadium demolition approved, passes environmental review

RFK Stadium hasn’t been used for an event in five years, and it’s been falling apart longer than that. In December 2022, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser held a ceremonial removal of the final stadium seat. At the time, the mayor said the stadium would be torn down by the end of 2023. But — although asbestos abatement was completed, and seats and artifacts were removed — actual demolition stalled while the National Park Service (NPS) conducted an assessment of the demolition's potential effects on the environment.

That assessment is now complete, and in a statement, the NPS announced that it recommends approval of the demolition. “In addition to the permit, the NPS and the District will sign an agreement that confirms the District’s continued use and demolition of the property will follow the 1957 District of Columbia Stadium Act’s requirements,” the NPS' release said in part. While D.C. owns the stadium, the NPS owns the land on which it sits.

The federal government has given permission to knock down RFK Stadium.
I mean, that's where a new stadium should be. Freaking RalJon is a joke and NoVA is not viable.
With basically a brand new team and a ton of optimism for the first time in many years, there's going to be a big push to build the new stadium there. FedEx Field is awful and hard to get into and out of, kind of like that description of some baseball player: "He's a lousy fielder, but he can't hit." But DC won't tear it down unless the lease is extended another 99 years, which takes Congress to do. The House already approved the extension; the Senate hasn't.

Josh Harris and Muriel Bowser will be wildly popular if they pull off building a new stadium there. I mean, imagine that ---- a professional football team in DC again.

More about Johnny Newton, who I think we'll be glad we drafted.

JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
13h

Talking w @JWerner247 about Commanders 2nd rd pick Johnny Newton: "He reminds me of a guy like Ed Oliver...I've covered the Big Ten for about 10 years, I dont remember a more dominant, productive defensive linemen....You're getting a heck of a football player."

JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
13h

More from @JWerner247 - Johnny Newton played last 6 games with Jones fracture in his foot - had 5 sacks and almost 20 pressures in those games. "It did not slow him down and I saw him at Pro Day and he did not seem impacted at all...He barely came off the field in that time."

The federal government has given permission to knock down RFK Stadium.
I mean, that's where a new stadium should be. Freaking RalJon is a joke and NoVA is not viable.
With basically a brand new team and a ton of optimism for the first time in many years, there's going to be a big push to build the new stadium there. FedEx Field is awful and hard to get into and out of, kind of like that description of some baseball player: "He's a lousy fielder, but he can't hit." But DC won't tear it down unless the lease is extended another 99 years, which takes Congress to do. The House already approved the extension; the Senate hasn't.

Josh Harris and Muriel Bowser will be wildly popular if they pull off building a new stadium there. I mean, imagine that ---- a professional football team in DC again.
Agreed. My guess is that a few Senators' campaigns will see a pretty big jump in donations in their next elections.

I went to a game at FedEx back in the '90s vs the Cardinals (Boomer was QBing the Cards!) - when it was new - and had to park like a mile away and the stadium was already a dump. It was a hellish ride in and a hellish ride out. I left there saying "never again".

The RFK site makes too much sense. Traffic's going to be a mess no matter where in the area a stadium is built, but it's less awful there plus you have it right on a Metro stop.

Users who are viewing this thread