What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Gerrard sacked after Villa’s loss today.

Villa score 3 goals in the first 14 minutes of the post-StevieG era for a massive dead cat bounce.
I don't pretend to be an expert since I'm still a relative soccer neophyte, but a lot of people in the Twitterverse and on AV's fan forums (Rangers, too), even as far back as before/when Gerrard was hired, say the reason Rangers were so successful was because of Michael Beale and not Gerrard. Beale eventually got hired to lead QPR and his name is now thrown in pretty much every rumor mill when there's a coaching vacancy.

This is kind of fun...

I've mentioned before that I was at the only English match ever to be replayed after a team won the original fixture -- Arsenal 2-1 Sheffield United at Highbury in the 5th round of the 1999 FA Cup. Despite Arsenal winning, Wenger offered to replay the game because the winning goal had been scored when Arsenal failed to give the ball back to United after they'd put it out for an injury. (IIRC Overmars and Kanu combined for the sin.)

I came to be at that game because I was in London at the time and staying with a friend who knew a player for Sheffield United. He got us a pair of tickets in the away end, where we sat with the player's parents.

When the controversial goal was scored there was a near riot. Seats were torn off and thrown, there was a mad rush down from the stands down the stairs to the end of the field and it was generally mayhem for a few minutes.

After the game the four of us met the player and his girlfriend for drinks at a hotel bar. Where he told us that Arsenal had offered to replay the game.

That player was Graham Stuart. Sadly he didn't carry the ball 70 yards through a half-dozen players to score that day.

Last edited:
I was in London at the time and staying with a friend who knew a player for Sheffield United. He got us a pair of tickets in the away end, where we sat with the player's parents.

When the controversial goal was scored there was a near riot. Seats were torn off and thrown, there was a mad rush down from the stands down the stairs to the end of the field and it was generally mayhem for a few minutes.

Yep, that would describe a typical Blades away end fairly accurately

This is one area where Africa still reigns supreme over Concacaf. I am unsure how they were able to detect match fixing so easily :lmao:

South African teams receive lifetime ban for match-fixing: 59-1 result with 41 own goals​

So the Union made a hype video for the playoffs last week with former Villanova Coach jay Wright who's a big philly sports guy and has been to almost every Phillies playoff home game already. Anyway I watched the video but didn't notice till I was on one of the owner of the CAFE we go to for the Milan matches twitter page. He's a big Union fan and a member of the Supporters group SOB or Sons of Ben. The Cafe plus the Pizza shop they own which is a 8 mins walk from the Cafe are featured in the video with some of the staff. The main guy in the Union Hat is Luciano who I've become really good friends with over the last year and a half. if you are a big soccer fan and ever visit Philly you need to come to Gran Cafe L'Auila on Chestnut street. Its right in the middle of Center City so if you are staying close by its an easy destination. You can get the best gelato in the US there and if you live in the US and love it they take orders to ship across the country. Then you can go to the Pizza shop later and get some awesome Cannolis. Also if you want great authentic Italian food without the added horrible crap the USDA puts in and tries to market as REAL ITALIAN, you need to go.

Also we have some other great places for soccer too. SO if we're all still around this board in 26 during the World Cup and you come town, I'll be happy to tell you a few places or maybe meet up.

Last edited:
Don't normally put a lot of stock into these types of rumors, but nobody is more plugged into MLS than Tommy "Scoops" Bogert, and he's saying the Messi to Miami chatter is "very real."

For the first time since 2003, the two top seeds will play each other in the finals. The tweet below is a very interesting suggestion as to why this is so rare.

======

Ben Cork

@corkinho

Key factor in two best MLS teams making the final for once is that lack of international break allowed the rhythm of league play to continue. Unfortunately, it’s a scenario that’s unlikely to ever happen in the fall season again

So Monday is the Europa League playoff draw. 2nd place in group gets drawn against the 3rd place CL teams that are dropping down:

Europa League second-placed sides, seeded
Manchester United, Midtjylland, Nantes, Monaco, PSV Eindhoven, Rennes, Roma, 1. FC Union Berlin

Champions League third-placed sides, unseeded
Ajax, Barcelona, Bayer Leverkusen, Juventus, RB Salzburg, Sevilla, Shakhtar Donetsk, Sporting Lisbon

Winners get drawn against the Europa group winners:
Arsenal, Fenerbahçe, Ferencváros, Feyenoord, Freiburg, Real Betis, Real Sociedad, Union SG

Obviously we are going to see United draw Ajax.

It’s happening. It’s actually happening.

The Philadelphia Union. That Philadelphia Union, the team who used to practice in a public park, who signed a DP goalkeeper right after drafting a goalkeeper 1st overall despite already having a solid GK on the roster, who could never rub two nickels together and were destined to forever be an MLS 1.0 team in an MLS 3.0 world. The Philadelphia Union are playing for MLS Cup.

I’ve been fortunate to be on this journey since minute 1, and to see what this club has transformed into under Ernst Tanner, Jim Curtin and the ownership of both the team and the academy has been truly remarkable.

I don’t know what’s going to happen today, and I don’t know how long they’re going to be able to keep this team together, and in a way this game today kind of feels like a swan song of sorts. But I am truly proud of being a Day 1 fan of the Union, and that’s something I never thought I’d say 5 years ago.

Let’s do it for Le Toux, for Califf, for Sheanon, for the Farfans, for Mondragon, for Barnetta, for Ilsinho, and for the countless others who donned the blue and gold.

Beat LA. L. F. G.

who signed a DP goalkeeper right after drafting a goalkeeper 1st overall despite already having a solid GK on the roster,

this was arguably one of my favorite off field moves ever in MLS. It defied every piece of logic possible :)

So many jokes and memes, and justifiably so.

But we fell bass ackwards into maybe the GOAT MLS goalkeeper from all this so I can laugh about it now.

It's the Hollywood Elites vs Will Smith and Rob McElhenney and the Blue Collard East coasters.
i can't tell if i am bias and homer'ing this on my end, but it seems like MLS really, really wants LA to win this, no?

ETA: glad it is a fun game, and going both ways. LA doesn't deserve to have anything nice

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread