What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Agreed.  But a fresher Ox and a weaker defender in Rashford made that play possible.  Perfect cross and great header by Giroud too.
Also Jones being stronger and not letting the other Arsenal player bowl him over clearing the way for Giroud should get some heat.  Wouldnt call a foul but if Jones is stronger he can at least contest the header.  A healthy Bailley and last season Smalling would have helped too.  Not taking away from Giroud or Arsenal, they took care of their one shot on goal.

And United denied another clear penalty.  When the defender sticks his arm out and dives into his midsection with no attempt at the ball its a PK.  But Jose doesnt get those calls (SAF would have lol).  And I understand the calls for a 2nd yellow for Darmien. But keep in mind he deserved the yellow for the hard foul not the one he got it for.  He didnt make contact and it was a poor yellow.  Make up call? Sure.  And Marriner was a joke. He couldnt be bothered to make a call.  Then by the time he realized he should it was so far gone he just shrugged and said eff it play on.

All in all it was a better display out of United.  Why?  No Rooney, Fellaini and sadly Zlatan to slow it down and get in the way.  Putting Rooney in was a poor decision and slowed the attack so Arsenal could catch their breath and make a play.  Arsne's subs had a positive impact, Jose's negative.  Yes Schneiderlin coming is was a park the bus move but most do that.  To me it was fine and expected.  Jose's comments after the game about missing Fellaini is an absolute joke.  Fro would have been no where near the cross, most likely he'd be lumbering toward the top of the box looking to foul someone.
tldr:  :fro: .

All in all it was a better display out of United.  Why?  No Rooney, Fellaini and sadly Zlatan to slow it down and get in the way.  Putting Rooney in was a poor decision and slowed the attack so Arsenal could catch their breath and make a play.  Arsne's subs had a positive impact, Jose's negative.  Yes Schneiderlin coming is was a park the bus move but most do that.  To me it was fine and expected.  Jose's comments after the game about missing Fellaini is an absolute joke.  Fro would have been no where near the cross, most likely he'd be lumbering toward the top of the box looking to foul someone.
Supporters of Jose's teams drive drive themselves insane waiting, hoping, expecting him to make a lineup change to address obvious shortcomings. Its not going to happen.

that's how I saw it live... show me a link that shows otherwise and I'll happily change my view.

or are we talking about another pk claim?
no Im sure its the same one where the Arsenal defender blocked him with his arm while diving into his waist knocking him over.

If I get some time to find it Ill post.  Maybe Ill find one to change my view.  But I hadnt heard anyone call it a dive and most have said it was a PK (outside the announcers)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, just realized I will get to watch United blow it vs Fenyoord since its Thanksgiving on Thursday!  Yay Europa League!

:devil:

Reports are Mkhy will play.  Hopefully he does and has a good game.  Will be interesting who else plays with the depleted defense and having EPL vs West Ham on Sunday and again for League Cup on Wednesday.  

I've heard rumors that Klinsmann had already sold his home and lined up up the Galatasaray job before the hatchet fell yesterday.  2016 has not been kind to my predictions thus far, but I'll go out an limb and say that JK will struggle in Turkish club soccer.

It's speculation at this point.  Some think they might poach Porter or Mastroeni.  Obviously, Sigi is also available.  Or they could promote Curt Onalfo, who coaches Galaxy II (but who had a disastrous run coaching DCU in 2010).
Some one tweeted yesterday (Wahl/Ives?) that Onalfo was likely to get the job.

Both LA jobs need a coach right now.

I've heard rumors that Klinsmann had already sold his home and lined up up the Galatasaray job before the hatchet fell yesterday.  2016 has not been kind to my predictions thus far, but I'll go out an limb and say that JK will struggle in Turkish club soccer.
It is worth noting that JK has had that house (which was not his primary residence in California) on sale for a long time, many months before the latest crisis.

JK will land some where I am sure but he never struck me as the type of guy who wants to move much any more at this point in his life.  He moved his parents to California recently and his kid is at Stanford.  He rarely even traveled to Europe to see the US players, always sending Andi instead.

JK certainly has enough on his resume to get another good job some where.  I am unsure whether he is better suited to National Team coaching or day to day club team coaching.  What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's speculation at this point.  Some think they might poach Porter or Mastroeni.  Obviously, Sigi is also available.  Or they could promote Curt Onalfo, who coaches Galaxy II (but who had a disastrous run coaching DCU in 2010).
Some one tweeted yesterday (Wahl/Ives?) that Onalfo was likely to get the job.

Both LA jobs need a coach right now.
huh... played college ball with curt's brother, who also got involved in coaching and semi-pro soccer... I think in CT. I hear the name, and I think of a disastrous couple game run for him with our coach screaming his name "uhnahlfo!... UHNAHLFO!" became a bit of a team meme. 

when does LAFC start... not next year with Atlanta, right? in 2018? 

btw- the napoleon ready in the MLS wings:

Manchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has described a future move to Major League Soccer as "a huge option" but insists he has no regrets about reuniting with manager Jose Mourinho at Old Trafford this season.

Ibrahimovic, 35, had been linked with a move to MLS upon declaring his intention to leave Paris Saint-Germain last summer, only for him to join Manchester United as a free agent instead on a one-year deal with the option of a second year.

However, the striker told Aftonbladet that a move to the United States still interests him.

"It's a huge option for me," he said. "For the football and everything else. I can see myself conquering the U.S. as I have with Europe.

"Lots of people stay in one place throughout their career, but I've travelled around like Napoleon, and conquered every new country where I've sat foot. So perhaps I should do what Napoleon didn't and cross the Atlantic and conquer the States as well."

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has won league titles at six different clubs in four different countries.

Ibrahimovic, like his new team as a whole, enjoyed a strong start to the campaign, only for that to tail off and leave United nine points off the lead after just 12 games.

The former Sweden international said he always thought United would be "underdogs" and remains confident they can kick on, with Mourinho, his former boss at Inter Milan, as important in his move as the challenge itself.

"The team I signed for this summer is not as strong as the one I left, but when Mourinho called the decision was easy," he said. "When he calls I have no problem coming, all we had to decide was when I was to be presented as Man U player. The rest, the financial deal, was not the difficult part.

Users who are viewing this thread