What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Jarryd Hayne (2 Viewers)

I'm very interested to see how this kid fares in the NFL coming from the Australian Rugby League.
I think running the ball won't be a problem but imagine he'll be predictible that it's a running play when he's in. Unless he can pick up pass protection very quickly they aren't going to trust him protecting Kaep.

I'm very interested to see how this kid fares in the NFL coming from the Australian Rugby League.
I think running the ball won't be a problem but imagine he'll be predictible that it's a running play when he's in. Unless he can pick up pass protection very quickly they aren't going to trust him protecting Kaep.
He'd probably do good blocking for Kaep's runs...

Not sure what to make of it.

On the one hand, he rolls into the game behind only Hyde.

On the other, he absolutely had good blocking on his long run...and he stumbled after making his move on the DB out in the open and got corralled shortly thereafter.

I am less impressed with the actual video than I am with the box score. At that size, he's going to be load when he gets up to speed. But he does run upright and he's going to take a lot of hits.

I underestimated his quickness. He looks the same in space as he did in his rugby film. I think he's very rosterable in dynasty. His age is still a concern to me as he is in the time frame where athletes, specifically ones speed, starts to diminish. If he can learn how to grind when there really isn't a hole to plow through he could do more than survive in the NFL. Seems like the translation wasn't as harsh as I thought it would be but the season is still a long grind, even for be greatest of athletes.

Really love his natural running skills, but I'm still pretty worried about his upright running stance. Just waiting for him to get clobbered from a sprinting LB that he never sees coming. His running skills were learned in a game where they can only tackle you low, so that upright stable stance is great. Not so much for football.

Last edited by a moderator:
He appears to be a gifted punt returner...makes the first guy miss pretty much every time.

I see him as more of an unconventional third down back and agree his running style isn't great for between the tackles plays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Concerns about running style aside, there's a ton of potential here. He truly is a great athlete, very strong, great instincts when reading blocks and running in the open field (the part of football that translates from Rugby the best). I think he'll eventually learn that he needs to lower his shoulder a bit when running through the inside of the line. I've never been a huge fan of Carlos Hyde, but it'll be tough for Hayne to overtake him.

Concerns about running style aside, there's a ton of potential here. He truly is a great athlete, very strong, great instincts when reading blocks and running in the open field (the part of football that translates from Rugby the best). I think he'll eventually learn that he needs to lower his shoulder a bit when running through the inside of the line. I've never been a huge fan of Carlos Hyde, but it'll be tough for Hayne to overtake him.
You nailed it. I found myself (along with everyone else) watching this dude last night. He's definitely got good instincts with the ball in his hands. Just seems like he'll be a good football player. Special teams stud maybe.

brohans i have him on my team because i like players who do trick plays and this guy looks like he could be a sneaky burrito bandito trickster and that is what it takes to make the all swc team take that to the bank but using a sneaky route brohans

brohans i have him on my team because i like players who do trick plays and this guy looks like he could be a sneaky burrito bandito trickster and that is what it takes to make the all swc team take that to the bank but using a sneaky route brohans
Dude.... it's time.

Raider Nation said:
It's an interesting story and one I look forward to seeing unfold this season. Wish Hayne the best. Hope he makes the team and has an impact of some sort.
With his spectular play on ST and doing well running the ball I think he's a lock for the roster.

ETA: My prediction: Hunter is gone.
Yeah, definitely seems like he has earned a spot... and could be at least a contributor on ST.

Raider Nation said:
It's an interesting story and one I look forward to seeing unfold this season. Wish Hayne the best. Hope he makes the team and has an impact of some sort.
With his spectular play on ST and doing well running the ball I think he's a lock for the roster.

ETA: My prediction: Hunter is gone.
I'm thinking we'll see a phantom injury that lands him on the PUP or short term IR prior to the season.

He'll be one of the top stories this year in the NFL. Fun to watch him run circles around NFL defenders and run through them!

Agree with him leveraging rugby's more open field tactics in making the gunner miss on returns. Another strength I can see based on that video is as an inside the 10 back. He can use these skills in outside counter-handoffs, and the rugby-style move the pile a few yards by churning his legs could help in goal-line packages.

I've been loving watching this guy in preseason. Just love the way he runs with the ball.

I can't see how he doesn't make the team as their return guy, assuming he can play the other side of special teams too.

I've been loving watching this guy in preseason. Just love the way he runs with the ball.

I can't see how he doesn't make the team as their return guy, assuming he can play the other side of special teams too.
I was actually thinking about that, he's got some tackling skills from Rugby (saw a few aussie highlights where he lays out some big hits). I assume the tackling form is different, but could see him playing ST defense as well.

As a former rugby player, I'm cheering for Jarryd, even though he was a league player versus a union player. League is kind of like football with no blocking with 5 continuous downs to score a try before a kick/punt is made. This translates to guys who can make people miss, have great short area burst, lateral agility and general 1 on 1 play-making skills. Keep in mind in League Jarryd will always have the option to pass/lateral to another teammate which he won't in football, thus I'd expect him to take some crushing hits this season. Should be fun to watch, not necessarily draft but watch.

Rotoworld:

Jarryd Hayne - RB - 49ers

49ers RB/PR Jarryd Hayne rushed 10 times for 58 yards in Thursday's preseason finale, adding two catches for an additional 17 yards.

The ex-rugby player made one of the plays of the game when he used the big-hit stick on Bolts DB Lowell Rose at the end of a 12-yard reception. Hayne was signed to primarily contribute on special teams, but he wraps up the preseason with 25 carries for 175 yards (7.00 YPC). Adept at making the first defender miss, Hayne's 53-man roster odds are looking mighty good.

Sep 4 - 12:55 AM

An Australian book set the odds of Hayne winning the SB MVP at 101 to 1. :lmao:

They hype about this guy here is crazy.

Looking like a nice player though.

He looked good last night in everything he did. If the 49ers don't keep him, someone else will pick him up.

He looked good last night in everything he did. If the 49ers don't keep him, someone else will pick him up.
I don't think it's even close. On the play I linked to, he chips a defender, cuts back, catches the screen, slows down and accelerates, and then levels a poor posterized dude.

That was flat legit. Madden had a nice interlude on Hayne that I can't find right now for a link. Heck, Hayne is now in Madden '16.

I can't imagine this guy clears waivers. No freaking way.

I don't think it's even close. On the play I linked to, he chips a defender, cuts back, catches the screen, slows down and accelerates, and then levels a poor posterized dude.

That was flat legit. Madden had a nice interlude on Hayne that I can't find right now for a link. Heck, Hayne is now in Madden '16.

No he won't clear waivers and he won't be cut. More of a solid NFL player than a FF player. I want to see what he can do.

No he won't clear waivers and he won't be cut. More of a solid NFL player than a FF player. I want to see what he can do.
Very true. In a situation with Hyde and Bush. Likely a special teamer, but damn, if he went to a team that actually needed a back, you can bet he'd be in the running for a starter's job in the near future. Yes, he's upright and got drilled in Denver, but Denver's D is underrated. I'd just like to see more.

Also, if return yards count in your league, he has to be a draftee at some point.

I could see him maybe being a special teams contributor next year. Anything more would be the all time of longshots.
Have you ever watched him play rugby?
No. What does that have to do with the fact that he would be learning an entirely new sport from scratch? Did you watch Michael Jordan try to play baseball?
You think rugby is as dissimilar from football as baseball is from basketball?
It might as well be. Football is an incredibly technical game and the fact is, this guy has never played it. I live in Australia and hardcore rugby fans here think he's being foolish. No question he's an excellent athlete, but to call him "raw" would be an insult to the word "raw."

I think his upside is some kind of special teams role, anything beyond that is the longest of longshots.
ORLY?

Users who are viewing this thread