What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Great Works Draft (1 Viewer)

I admittedly havent paid attention to the last 25 pages or so of this, but I'll be #######ed if I'm going to miss out on class-A InternetToughGuy-ism. :popcorn:Right now the historical legend of Harrison Stevens, along with having the grapes to post his address rather than keeping the personal information to PMs still have him in the lead. But I have faith our new bigdog asskicker TidesofWar can step up. I like his moxy. :thumbup:
Peens told me via PM he was flying out to fight me once. Never heard from him though on specifics.

Genedoc said:
There were hugely important discoveries that predated and laid the foundation for both of those. :shrug:
Neither one of these (age and "foundation") should qualify a picl as a higher ranking.It should be based on how big of a step forward the discovery was, no matter what came before it.

I have not complained about any of the rankingsup to now, but Relativity not being in the top tier is wrong.

:2cents:
As I've mentioned before, age has nothing to do with any of the rankings. However, foundation absolutely does and should, moreso in science than most fields. Who gets credit for work is determined by who did it first, and the discovery is judged based on how big of a leap forward it represents. I am by no means trying to diminish the Relativity. However, there was an extensive amount of science performed prior to relativity and many of those earlier findings changed things at least as much as, if not more than, Relativity. We take many of those things for granted because they're well understood and appreciated now. For example:Galileo's discovery of uniform rate overturned 2,000 years of Aristotelian theory and rather completely changed the world. I didn't rank it because it's my own pick, but it's was easily as revolutionary and world changing as Relativity. Universal Gravitation, the Laws of Motion, the Laws of Thermodynamics, Electromagnetism....all world changing discoveries.

That said, I'm more than open to discussion. My initial tiering was done roughly with the top 1-2 discoveries in each field being lumped together so as not to bias myself in favor of the things I like the most/understand the best. I was trying to limit my own biases and likely introduced other artifacts in the process. It may very well be that the third or fourth biggest discovery in physics belongs well ahead of the biggest discovery ever in geology. Maybe the top tier should be 1/2 physics. If so, that's where the hard work begins, hence posting the preliminary rankings and seeing what people think of them and encouraging feedback.
Without a doubt, relativity was built about much work and many other discoveries. Relatively speaking though (har har), it was a gargantuan leap forward, and drastically altered our view of the universe as only a couple of other theories or discoveries have. Combine that with the fact that that view is so bizarre (to the human mind) that most people cannot and never will be able to comprehend it, and it has to be consired one of the greatest human achievements in all of history, in any field.
The more I'm reading, the more I'm agreeing with you. Also, the more I'm reading, the more at peace I'm becoming with the fact that the top couple of tiers are going to have a good deal of physics in them. I just can't keep any of the big 5 or 6 physics discoveries out of those top tiers, so something is going to have to go down. I'm currently leaning towards dropping KT Dinosaur Extinction and Dino Fossil Find #1.
hey now, don't make me unleash my velociraptors on you

Okay, I completely neglected to work on and post the Scientific Discoveries rankings. Sorry about that. I blame my stupid thesis.

But thanks to Genedoc for stepping up to the plate for me. :thumbup: I can also rank his picks if needed.

And seriously, WTF TidesofWar? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Okay, I completely neglected to work on and post the Scientific Discoveries rankings. Sorry about that. I blame my stupid thesis. But thanks to Genedoc for stepping up to the plate for me. :thumbup: I can also rank his picks if needed. And seriously, WTF TidesofWar? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Good luck with your thesis! :thumbup:

Alright, fools. Here is where I post a few initial tiers of short-stories, just to give you all a chance to call me names for a few days before I finalize the rankings.

In many ways, this one is even harder than the album draft, as there really isn't a bad pick here. You could make a case for pretty much every one. Poll 20 different critics, and you might get 20 different #1 picks.

Dig:

I.

Bartleby, The Scrivener: A Story of Wall Street - Herman Melville

The Dead - James Joyce

A Clean, Well-Lighted Place - Ernest Hemingway

The Tell-Tale Heart - Edgar Allan Poe

II.

The Lottery - Shirley Jackson

The Nose - Nikolai Vasilievich Gogol

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose Bierce

The Garden of Forking Paths - Jorge Luis Borges

III.

The Black Cat - Edgar Allan Poe

The Cask of Amontillado - Edgar Allan Poe

To Build a Fire - Jack London

The Gift of the Magi - O. Henry

IV.

The Monkey's Paw - W.W. Jacobs

The Pit and the Pendulum - Edgar Allan Poe

Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves

The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County - Mark Twain

V.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Washington Irving

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - James Thurber

The Nine Billion Names of God - Arthur C. Clarke

The Most Dangerous Game - Richard Connell

I was sort of hoping The Lottery, which is generally considered the greatest short story ever written, would at least be Tier 1 material. How am I ever going to catch Genedoc? (Which is, of course, the only relevant consideration.)

I was sort of hoping The Lottery, which is generally considered the greatest short story ever written, would at least be Tier 1 material. How am I ever going to catch Genedoc? (Which is, of course, the only relevant consideration.)
:confused: ETA: I LOVE this story, but this is a bizarre claim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, fools. Here is where I post a few initial tiers of short-stories, just to give you all a chance to call me names for a few days before I finalize the rankings. In many ways, this one is even harder than the album draft, as there really isn't a bad pick here. You could make a case for pretty much every one. Poll 20 different critics, and you might get 20 different #1 picks. Dig:I.Bartleby, The Scrivener: A Story of Wall Street - Herman MelvilleThe Dead - James JoyceA Clean, Well-Lighted Place - Ernest HemingwayThe Tell-Tale Heart - Edgar Allan PoeII.The Lottery - Shirley JacksonThe Nose - Nikolai Vasilievich GogolAn Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose BierceThe Garden of Forking Paths - Jorge Luis BorgesIII.The Black Cat - Edgar Allan PoeThe Cask of Amontillado - Edgar Allan PoeTo Build a Fire - Jack LondonThe Gift of the Magi - O. HenryIV.The Monkey's Paw - W.W. JacobsThe Pit and the Pendulum - Edgar Allan PoeAli Baba and the Forty ThievesThe Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County - Mark TwainV. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Washington IrvingThe Secret Life of Walter Mitty - James ThurberThe Nine Billion Names of God - Arthur C. ClarkeThe Most Dangerous Game - Richard Connell
Another bottom tier.

I can link you to at least three Amazon.com readers who say it is, plus a number of personal blogs which also make the same claim.Come on, dude, I'm trying to get to first place here. Roll with it.

I can link you to at least three Amazon.com readers who say it is, plus a number of personal blogs which also make the same claim.Come on, dude, I'm trying to get to first place here. Roll with it.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Sold.

I'm not sure calling the wife of the Short Stories judge a 'dude' is going to enamor you with such judge. Might want to try a different approach..... ;)

Oliver, if you're not going to put The Lottery high in the first tier, then pm me your address so that I can show up at your front door and you can tell me to my face that it doesn't belong there. I have to go to Chicago anyway for a charity Mixed Martial Arts event in which I am the headliner. After I have finished with that I will come to you. If not your house, anywhere you name within a 600 mile radius. Though I doubt you have the guts to show up.

Oliver, if you're not going to put The Lottery high in the first tier, then pm me your address so that I can show up at your front door and you can tell me to my face that it doesn't belong there. I have to go to Chicago anyway for a charity Mixed Martial Arts event in which I am the headliner. After I have finished with that I will come to you. If not your house, anywhere you name within a 600 mile radius. Though I doubt you have the guts to show up.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:The bold was an especially good touch.

I'm not sure calling the wife of the Short Stories judge a 'dude' is going to enamor you with such judge. Might want to try a different approach..... ;)
Call her 'Cletus'. Works every time.

In all seriousness, that story is amazing, and awesome, and all sorts of other hyperbolic ejaculations. But the first 10 or so short-stories here are all So. Damn. Close. If you have a good reason to rank it higher than somebody in tier 1, I'll certainly consider it.

In all seriousness, that story is amazing, and awesome, and all sorts of other hyperbolic ejaculations. But the first 10 or so short-stories here are all So. Damn. Close. If you have a good reason to rank it higher than somebody in tier 1, I'll certainly consider it.
If you've read my posts in the past, you know I very rarely make arguments for my own picks, unless it's in jest. Place it where you're comfortable.

Alright, fools. Here is where I post a few initial tiers of short-stories, just to give you all a chance to call me names for a few days before I finalize the rankings. In many ways, this one is even harder than the album draft, as there really isn't a bad pick here. You could make a case for pretty much every one. Poll 20 different critics, and you might get 20 different #1 picks. Dig:I.Bartleby, The Scrivener: A Story of Wall Street - Herman MelvilleThe Dead - James JoyceA Clean, Well-Lighted Place - Ernest HemingwayThe Tell-Tale Heart - Edgar Allan PoeII.The Lottery - Shirley JacksonThe Nose - Nikolai Vasilievich GogolAn Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose BierceThe Garden of Forking Paths - Jorge Luis BorgesIII.The Black Cat - Edgar Allan PoeThe Cask of Amontillado - Edgar Allan PoeTo Build a Fire - Jack LondonThe Gift of the Magi - O. HenryIV.The Monkey's Paw - W.W. JacobsThe Pit and the Pendulum - Edgar Allan PoeAli Baba and the Forty ThievesThe Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County - Mark TwainV. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Washington IrvingThe Secret Life of Walter Mitty - James ThurberThe Nine Billion Names of God - Arthur C. ClarkeThe Most Dangerous Game - Richard Connell
Another bottom tier.
Not much love for The Paw either.Bartelby is lower tier to me, and Melville the most over-rated writer in the world - plus he is boring as hell.Melville Ocho Cinquo can get bent.At this rate, I have no chance to make the playoffs. :mellow:

I hope you have a catchy fight nickname, but "timschochet" doesn't lend itself to clever/intimidating names.

I hope you have a catchy fight nickname, but "timschochet" doesn't lend itself to clever/intimidating names.
"The Timschochet Sashay" could be the name of his signature move :thumbup:

Regarding the Scientific Discovery tiers, a basic problem is that there are a combination of basic discoveries and applied discoveries and it is very difficult to compare between the two.

And as for the mathematical discoveries, there are a bunch of real math whizzes around (including at least one Mod) and it would be interesting to get their perspective on the relative merits of various math discoveries.

Regarding the Scientific Discovery tiers, a basic problem is that there are a combination of basic discoveries and applied discoveries and it is very difficult to compare between the two.And as for the mathematical discoveries, there are a bunch of real math whizzes around (including at least one Mod) and it would be interesting to get their perspective on the relative merits of various math discoveries.
Any and all math whizzes are more than welcome to comment. I used very basic statistics and M1V1=M2V2 on a daily basis for 12 years. As for basic vs. applied, that seems to me to be the difference between an invention and a discovery. A discovery is the initial understanding of the laws of nature that govern our natural world. The "a-ha!" moment where something is understood that was previously not understood. An invention is the development of a product that has practical applications that is based on us having an understanding of the natural world. For instance, I drafted Joseph Lister's development of topical antiseptic and antiseptic surgical techniques as an invention because it was the development of a product or process based on germ theory. Pasteurization was the same way. Pasteurization as an invention I'd have graded better than Pasteurization the discovery, because the discovery had already been made in the form of germ theory. Germ theory was the "discovery"; development of practical applications that flowed from it were inventions. Sometimes the person making the discovery is also the person who invents a product. But even then, they are separate entities. You can't patent an idea or a discovery, you've got to have a product or a process.

Personally, I think it's also important to look beyond the immediate practical application of scientific discoveries, and also examine how they changed the world in ways less related to science. A prime example would be Galileo's discoveries- they did not have great practical application on the lives of the people of his day. But they served to weaken the power of the church, and Christianity in general. They paved the way for the secularization of western society. Thus they are, IMO, of the greatest possible importance.

Regarding the Scientific Discovery tiers, a basic problem is that there are a combination of basic discoveries and applied discoveries and it is very difficult to compare between the two.And as for the mathematical discoveries, there are a bunch of real math whizzes around (including at least one Mod) and it would be interesting to get their perspective on the relative merits of various math discoveries.
Any and all math whizzes are more than welcome to comment. I used very basic statistics and M1V1=M2V2 on a daily basis for 12 years. As for basic vs. applied, that seems to me to be the difference between an invention and a discovery. A discovery is the initial understanding of the laws of nature that govern our natural world. The "a-ha!" moment where something is understood that was previously not understood. An invention is the development of a product that has practical applications that is based on us having an understanding of the natural world. For instance, I drafted Joseph Lister's development of topical antiseptic and antiseptic surgical techniques as an invention because it was the development of a product or process based on germ theory. Pasteurization was the same way. Pasteurization as an invention I'd have graded better than Pasteurization the discovery, because the discovery had already been made in the form of germ theory. Germ theory was the "discovery"; development of practical applications that flowed from it were inventions. Sometimes the person making the discovery is also the person who invents a product. But even then, they are separate entities. You can't patent an idea or a discovery, you've got to have a product or a process.
Using this same logic, organ transplantation, for instance, should be an Invention because it is a practical application developed from many different discoveries in many idfferent fields of medicine and biology and phamacology etc.And if you really get down to it, once numbers were "discovered" all further mathematics are "inventions" that use those numbers. I wrestled with this dilema regarding my pick of the time based method of determining longitude. Whithout a working marine chronometer, it couldn't be done accurately. I could have chosen the marine chronometer as an invention though.

I have almost no argument. Very well ranked. Pssst - Posty, this guy knows what he's doing. Take notes. Ask questions.

I have almost no argument. Very well ranked. Pssst - Posty, this guy knows what he's doing. Take notes. Ask questions.
Krista beware, flysack has a crush on your man.

Krista beware, flysack has a crush on your man.
With good reason. :)

In the spirit of Tim, I consider this question I asked less than an hour ago to be unanimously decided and I have a clear mandate. I will post them tonight or tomorrow at the latest. None of that fancy judgin' just rankings.

Sleepy Hollow shouldn't be in the last tier.And so, well, um, I guess we have stalled here huh? Too bad. The judging was soooooo much fun.

Does anyone have any objections if I judge Sculptures?
Not as long as you recognize that I have the clear cut #1.
Wait, I have the clearcut #1. Honest Abe could take down Lady Liberty any time he wanted to and he doesn't have goofy foam hats made out of him.
Psssh, both of you would get owned by my army.
A buried terra cotta army? Yeah, right. :rolleyes: Abe would smash them under his giant marble shoes like they were a bunch of flower pots.

TidesofWar said:
I would wager all I own that you would never dare to be so condescinding and foolish in my presence.

Where do you live,because if it is Chiacgo, I am playing in a Charity Golf event there next month, and I would love for you discuss these rankings in person, and call me a "Good Boy"

PM me and I will give you a phone number to reach me
Tides, this is an internet draft. Are you ####### kidding me?
He deleted the post?!?! :lmao: Just found that out when someone asked Norwood about his sig. Quoting again for posterity. Think I'll update my sig, too. :) By the way, since it appears we have no more judging, pursuant to Title IV, Chapter 6, subsection (iii)(B) of the rules, I guess Team Fennis is declared the winner. :bowtie:

New sig too long? I was thinking of cutting it off after "You Pout, or you play", but I hate losing the red font part. Maybe I should do a poll.

By the way, since it appears we have no more judging, pursuant to Title IV, Chapter 6, subsection (iii)(B) of the rules, I guess Team Fennis is declared the winner. :bowtie:
Krista, you've had some good posts in your life, but this is the best post in the history of the Internet.

DCThunder said:
rodg12 said:
DCThunder said:
Yankee23Fan said:
Does anyone have any objections if I judge Sculptures?
Not as long as you recognize that I have the clear cut #1.
Wait, I have the clearcut #1. Honest Abe could take down Lady Liberty any time he wanted to and he doesn't have goofy foam hats made out of him.
Psssh, both of you would get owned by my army.
A buried terra cotta army? Yeah, right. :rolleyes: Abe would smash them under his giant marble shoes like they were a bunch of flower pots.
Don't worry, tonight you 3 will know the answer. Don't forget I have a 120 foot Christ who can lay it down if needed. (Dang it, I just looked it up he's made of soapstone)

In the spirit of Tim, I consider this question I asked less than an hour ago to be unanimously decided and I have a clear mandate. I will post them tonight or tomorrow at the latest. None of that fancy judgin' just rankings.
I lied. I am going to have my wife take a look at my rankings. I won't post sculpture rankings until tomorrow (evening).

Yankee23Fan said:
Sleepy Hollow shouldn't be in the last tier.And so, well, um, I guess we have stalled here huh? Too bad. The judging was soooooo much fun.
If y'all still want me to, I'll get these done this evening.And, yes, Sleepy Hollow should totally be in the last tier.

Yankee23Fan said:
If y'all still want me to, I'll get these done this evening.And, yes, Sleepy Hollow should totally be in the last tier.
It would be appreciated.On another note, anyone know where BL went with the Painting rankings?!?!?!?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread