What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Great Works Draft (2 Viewers)

Yankee, you're # 20. And that fills up all the slots.

All the "category judgships" are open at the present, though WP hasn't told me which ones he wants.

I'd like in at the 19 or 20 spot if they are still open. Can I PM (ahead of time of course) my picks if I won't be online during my 1 hour draft window though? I am a working man and the military has unpredictable days.
Welcome aboard Tirnan; you're # 19.
I'll take #20
You were just waiting so you could grab the turn, weren't you? :goodposting:
Have I ever not tried to add a slight amount of strategery in these things?

Let Yankee in!

Add Political Documents back in! You'd be surprised how many good ones there are. And the US Constitution is too good to be wasted as a wC.

Is it necessary for me to read any rules from the other thread, or are the summations in the first couple posts enough to get a feel here?

Let Yankee in!Add Political Documents back in! You'd be surprised how many good ones there are. And the US Constitution is too good to be wasted as a wC.
Yeah, I'm just seeing this discussion here, but I can think of 20 fairly important "political" documents from world history. Heck, I can come up with at least 10 from our own. (Speeches would count, no?)I'm ok with whatever rules there are though. Just.... there are definately 20 political documents when you take your mind slightly away from formation - constitutions - and allow it to see revolutions, speeches, and war.

Ok, I'm caught up.....

Mona Lisa went too high, although it's obvious that it would. Too big of a name and far too powerful in culture. Still, two paintings in the top 3? When you can select pretty much anything mankind has ever "created?"

Ok, I'm caught up.....Mona Lisa went too high, although it's obvious that it would. Too big of a name and far too powerful in culture. Still, two paintings in the top 3? When you can select pretty much anything mankind has ever "created?"
Somebody must know something I don't...

OK, on to my pick. The top three picks are highly worthy of the greatest human achievement. So, I think, is this one:

Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67 by Ludwig van Beethoven (1804-1808). Certainly the most famous musical piece ever written.

A couple of notes:

1. I had always thought this was about fate or death, but the Wikipedia article states that there is no evidence of this; that it's based on an after the fact essay by a man named Schindler (not the humanitarian.)

2. I didn't realize how long it took him to write it. (5 years.)

3. The symphony is scored for piccolo (fourth movement only), 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets in B flat and C, 2 bassoons, contrabassoon (fourth movement only), 2 horns in E flat and C, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones (alto, tenor, and bass, fourth movement only), timpani (in G-C) and strings.

(This is also news to me, though probably not to everyone here.)

Ok, I'm caught up.....Mona Lisa went too high, although it's obvious that it would. Too big of a name and far too powerful in culture. Still, two paintings in the top 3? When you can select pretty much anything mankind has ever "created?"
No..... my post comes off wrong. It's not a bad pick at all, and it's definately a first rounder. Just, to me, when you can pick from, basically everything, a painting doesn't climb up there for me. And from having to do some of the research for the other drafts, there are quite a few powerful paintings out there that are on canvasses, unlike the pick before yours which was brilliant.Your will score high and deserves to. I just wouldn't have gone there with the 3. If it was there at 20? I'm dancing the jig.

No..... my post comes off wrong. It's not a bad pick at all, and it's definately a first rounder. Just, to me, when you can pick from, basically everything, a painting doesn't climb up there for me. And from having to do some of the research for the other drafts, there are quite a few powerful paintings out there that are on canvasses, unlike the pick before yours which was brilliant.Your will score high and deserves to. I just wouldn't have gone there with the 3. If it was there at 20? I'm dancing the jig.
I'm sure we place importance on different things. I'm glad you'll be there to collect the riff-raff for me :bs: .

When I thought I was going to have selection #1 in the original greatest works draft (hereinafter, the "OGWD"), this was my probable pick, given the paucity of good political documents. Great pick!
Sure you don't want to draft, Krista? And if not, how about judging a category or 2?
:excited: Not a merger of equals, though; I am humbled to be part of Team Fennis, winner of the GAD and all-around captain of hilarity.

I can judge if categories remain available, too (leaving out Team Fennis, of course). Love that Yankee is in. :thumbup: wikkid has great ideas, and tim runs a great draft, so I'm glad to be 1/2 of a part of it!

BTW, I love each pick so far. I didn't think the arts categories would go so quickly, but to me Symphony No. 5 is #1 in the composition category.

All the "category judgships" are open at the present, though WP hasn't told me which ones he wants.
Glad you're in Yankee23fan, good to have ya.I'll take painting judgeship (signed up for it in the OGWD thread).

Another vote for reinstitution of the Political Documents category - although I think Treatise might be more appropriate. This should also include political or philosophical essays and speeches IMO.

ETA: OK, hadn't looked over timschochet's revisions...I see this is covered.

Philosophical/ political idea (3)

I guess treatise, essays and speeches could go in there? But I think we still should have a separate cat for political documents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glad you're in Yankee23fan, good to have ya.I'll take painting judgeship (signed up for it in the OGWD thread).

Another vote for reinstitution of the Political Documents category - although I think Treatise might be more appropriate. This should also include political or philosophical essays and speeches IMO.
All a very :thumbup: , especially use of "OGWD". :excited:

At this point, we're still open to this. I would add political documents and remove one wildcard. If I get two more ayes, we do it.

At this point, we're still open to this. I would add political documents and remove one wildcard. If I get two more ayes, we do it.
No to political docuuments - too limited IMOWild Card sounds more interesting - push up bras, Off, edible panties, etc

OK, category judges so far:

I'll take wildcards, as always (hardest and most fun!)

wikkidpissah is music judge. (all categories.)

BobbyLayne is paintings judge.

Yankee is political thought and TV shows.

Somebody (don't remember who) is sports records; anyone know?

All other categories are open.

OK, category judges so far:I'll take wildcards, as always (hardest and most fun!)wikkidpissah is music judge. (all categories.)BobbyLayne is paintings judge.Yankee is political thought and TV shows.Somebody (don't remember who) is sports records; anyone know?All other categories are open.
I can judge inventions.

Let Yankee in!Add Political Documents back in! You'd be surprised how many good ones there are. And the US Constitution is too good to be wasted as a wC.
Yeah, I'm just seeing this discussion here, but I can think of 20 fairly important "political" documents from world history. Heck, I can come up with at least 10 from our own. (Speeches would count, no?)I'm ok with whatever rules there are though. Just.... there are definately 20 political documents when you take your mind slightly away from formation - constitutions - and allow it to see revolutions, speeches, and war.
I think that is the issue some are having...we could easily come up with 20 speeches alone. Throw in codified documents and declarations, peace treaty, political alliance, et al.

I think that is the issue some are having...we could easily come up with 20 speeches alone. Throw in codified documents and declarations, peace treaty, political alliance, et al.
In.

I vote in favor.

I vote in favor.
Could we include court rulings?

I vote in favor.
All right, political documents returns. Now the only question is, should I remove a slot from wildcard? I could also remove a slot from novels, giving us 4 instead of 5. Or non-fiction books. What do you guys think?

I vote in favor.
All right, political documents returns. Now the only question is, should I remove a slot from wildcard? I could also remove a slot from novels, giving us 4 instead of 5. Or non-fiction books. What do you guys think?
So political "documents" would be - constitutions, speeches, court rulings, treaties..... and like things? I would add that, to me, I would say that to be a political "document" it must have been issued from a governmental/quasi-governmental entity or one revolting against that type of entity. There is no reason to allow a John Lennon song in this category, for instance.

I vote in favor.
Take it off of plays.Five plays? Really?
agreed, also from non fiction then add one each to SONG and ALBUM totaling 4 in each.
I say its time to quit tinkering and do this thingCats can be debated endlessly

I vote in favor.
Take it off of plays.Five plays? Really?
For the vast majority of human existence, the play has been the primary means of entertainment. Choosing the 100 greatest plays of all time should be a worth endeavor, IMO.

I vote in favor.
So political "documents" would be - constitutions, speeches, court rulings, treaties..... and like things? I would add that, to me, I would say that to be a political "document" it must have been issued from a governmental/quasi-governmental entity or one revolting against that type of entity. There is no reason to allow a John Lennon song in this category, for instance.
:goodposting: I say just remove a wild card.

Wow, so many choices. Super, super hard to narrow it down to one. At the end of the day I decided to take a true titan at one of the categories I will admit I am most ignorant. IMO, there is only one other work that could be ranked ahead of this, but I like this one better and believe it should rank higher because it took an incredible 4+ years to produce. Without further ado, with the second pick of the Greatest Works draft, team rodg12 selects......

1.02 - Painting - The Sistine Chapel Ceiling - Michelangelo

Details

Images Galore
I've seen this in real life. Knocked me on my ###.

OK, here's what we will do- we will add political documents and remove one wildcard. However, if it appears that, much later in the draft, people are really struggling with the 4th or 5th choice in a particular category, we can always remove that last pick and add another wildcard.

Um, guys, there's a problem I completely forgot about. This draft is going to take at least 3 months with 60 rounds. But in June I am going to the mountains for a week and a half (2nd half of the month, don't have the dates yet) I won't have access to a computer most of the time I'm there. I propose that once I have the dates, that we simply suspend the draft for that 10 days or so, since I'm afraid I won't be able to run it or make picks during that time.

1) Move US Constitution back to political document.

2) Krista and I will split our team, for ease of picks (and knowing who to PM) I am going the odds and Krista will do the even picks. Double the brains, half the picks, we expect to win it all by twice the margin.

Um, guys, there's a problem I completely forgot about. This draft is going to take at least 3 months with 60 rounds. But in June I am going to the mountains for a week and a half (2nd half of the month, don't have the dates yet) I won't have access to a computer most of the time I'm there. I propose that once I have the dates, that we simply suspend the draft for that 10 days or so, since I'm afraid I won't be able to run it or make picks during that time.
Running it without you is not an issue. How about you get a partner to take over a few picks? We're going to average 14-18 picks a day, at most 4 rounds a week. 10 days less 2 or 4 weekend days...so you're looking at 5-6 picks out of 60?I don't want to set the precendent for you; I'm sure many people have vacation plans once finals are over or school lets out. No one person is bigger than the draft. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread