What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cardale Jones*** - Newest Charger (2 Viewers)

NFL Media's Chad Reuter believes Ohio State QB Cardale Jones has the most to prove of any prospect at his pro day.
This ranking is indicative to how bad Jones' Combine was. The 6-foot-5, 250-pounder pulled up gimpy with a hamstring injury on his second 40-yard dash at the Combine (he posted a 4.83 second showing in the first run). "If there was one guy who needed a good workout," an NFL QB coach told Yahoo Sports, "it was him." Jones' attention now turns to March 13, when OSU opens it doors to scouts. "Teams have seen his arm strength on tape, but they're not sure how quickly he can deliver the ball," Reuter wrote. "They also want to know how accurately he can deliver all of the different throws NFL quarterbacks make. He won't be facing pass-rush pressure at his pro day, so it's not a true test, but it could serve as an important first step toward earning a mid-round draft slot."

Source: NFL.com 
Mar 4 - 6:33 PM

Does anyone know about other aspects of his game other than just his throwing arm strength?  I really liked the guy 2 years ago and I was wondering if he's great at all the off the field tasks as well as on the field.  Does he study game tape religiously and work out a lot?  Pulling a hamstring can be indicative of a lack of conditioning so I wondered if that was a recurring issue.  And I don't know much about his football IQ/ability to read defenses, just that he was able to win a Championship against some tough defenses.

"I think a lot of people say fourth round, maybe a little later -- he got benched this season -- I'm going to put him in the second round," Jeremiah said on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft". "It might be the bottom of the second round, but there's going to be a quarterback coach (or) an offensive coordinator who is going to go to the GM and say, 'This guy has such rare physical tools, give me some time to work with him, I will get it out of him.'"

"There is too much upside here. I think somebody risks it there in Round No. 2," Jeremiah added.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Miller thinks Cardale '12 Guage' Jones might go higher than a late round pick which some have projected.

In a CBS Sports poll of NFL personnel (from scouts to general managers), Ohio State QB Cardale Jones ranked as the most underrated player in the draft.
Jones received five votes as most underrated, which tied with Maryland DE/OLB Yannick Ngakoue. One scout said of the 6-foot-5, 253-pound Jones, "If the plan is to develop the young quarterback rather than play him immediately, anyway, why not take the bigger, stronger athlete and let your coaches unlock his potential?" As CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang wrote, Jones "wowed the 130+ NFL personnel who attended Ohio State's [P]ro [D]ay, showing off the velocity which earned him the nickname "12 Gauge" as well as surprising touch and accuracy." Jones made just seven starts in college and his lack of experience will prevent him from serving as a true plug-and-play option, but there's momentum behind him being drafted as high as the second round.

Source: CBS Sports 
Mar 21 - 9:49 PM

Most underrated player by far in the draft.  If Ohio State would have started him all year they would have been in the college playoffs.  Expect a second round pick in the draft.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bronco's go with Paxton Lynch or Cardale Jones in round 1.  They have the last pick in the round and if they hit on a QB they get him cheap with a fifth year option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep thinking that he is perfect for the Cowboys, who can afford to take their time and groom him for 3-4 years behind Romo...
Except for thinking that timeline is more in the 2 year ballpark I completely agree. He's be a great developmental pickup for a team like Dallas and Arizona with older QB's.

I know if I was Dallas I'd rather use a third round pick on him than 1.4 on Wentz or Goff.

I think for his sake the perfect landing spot is Arizona. I put a lot more trust in Arians ability to work with him and groom him then Garrett. 

Cardinals would be a great spot for him.  Built in excuse to sit and learn, and the ultimate QB whisperer at head coach.

No question.  He has a lot of work to do on footwork and accuracy (mostly from poor footwork) and some smaller mechanical flaws, but if he gets to the right team like ARI and can sit for a year or two and get coached up he can certainly get there.  He's got a cannon and a great mentality - he's fearless throwing the ball, even when he shouldn't, but can get away with a lot of them because of him arm.  He moves around in the pocket but does a good job keeping eyes downfield and not just looking to run every time he gets off his spot like Pryor did.

If he gets drafted to play right away he's probably doomed.

dipandglide said:
I haven't seen much about this guy. Does anyone think he can become a starter in the league? 
Matt Waldman has Cardale Jones rated as his #2 QB from this draft class.

Fast forward to the 10:00-minute mark to hear his take.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/audio/Browns_Daily_404_Part_2_Matt_Waldman/b46472f7-8a59-4ceb-a841-9fdcce0c27e4

Browns Daily 4/04 Part 2 - Matt Waldman

Nathan Zegura and Matt Wilhelm discuss today's hot topics and are joined by Matt Waldman creator of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio.

I picked him at 4.12 in my rookie draft yesterday. Complete dart throws at that point and I have 1 year of taxi squad eligibility for him. Really couldnt see any other option with that kind of upside bearing in mind we dont know situation at this point.

Ohio State QB Cardale Jones "will have to buil[t] from the ground up" by the team that drafts him, according to Pro Football Focus.
"He has plenty of velocity, but that’s irrelevant if he can’t throw on target," the site noted. "Passes from Jones tend to miss their mark. He struggles throwing catchable passes on horizontal routes, in particular, and frequently fails to put enough air on his deep balls." Jones also struggles to see the field and with his decision-making process. In the end, PFF would pass. "Taking a quarterback with plenty of physical tools, but little genuine passing quality, is reasonable in the late rounds," the site concluded. "The third-round chatter for Jones, however, simply doesn’t make sense."

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Apr 11 - 3:41 PM

No doubting the talent is a incredible lure for any team. 

Cannon for arm "check".

Size for the position "check"

Mobility in the pocket "eh kind of check" He moves better North and South, but he can do enough in the pocket to escape some pressure.

Maturity needs some work and love to see how he can break down a playbook. I'm thinking this might take some time. Heard somewhere he did pretty good on the board at the combine.

I think San Diego would be a great place for him. Rivers would not be threatened and I can see in 3 to 4 years he could produce out there or in what ever location they end up at. A interesting break down scouting report below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuYWWEYf3X0
Go Bucks!  :thumbup:

I think Pittsburgh would be a good fit. Very similar play style to Ben. 

I picked him at 4.12 in my rookie draft yesterday. Complete dart throws at that point and I have 1 year of taxi squad eligibility for him. Really couldnt see any other option with that kind of upside bearing in mind we dont know situation at this point.
You do your rookie draft before the NFL draft?

I would think the Bills would be off this type of interest after the guy they took so high just a couple of years ago.  They must enjoy playing the lottery and are comfortable with the odds.
Using a first round pick on a questionable QB with upside is entirely different than using a 3rd round pick on a questionable QB with upside.

The Bills would also be much more likely able to have Jones sit and develop like they had planned with Manuel.

Bills selected Ohio State QB Cardale Jones with the No. 139 overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft.
Jones (6'5/253) played in 23 games at Ohio State, going 11-0 as a starter and finishing his career with a 61.9% completion rate, 8.60 YPA, and 15:7 TD-to-INT ratio. After a dominant 2014 playoff run for the Buckeyes, Jones returned to school to share time with J.T. Barrett. Although Jones was never a full-time college starter, he has a chance to become a better NFL player with a Culpepperian blend of size, athleticism, and arm strength. His deficiencies show up through inexperience-based fundamental flaws after attempting just 270 college passes. Jones' ceiling is high, but he could also flame out quickly. He's a classic boom-bust prospect.

Apr 30 - 2:05 PM

Great situation IMO. He'll sit this year, but with no other QBs under contract beyond this year, opportunity may be there.

There are some elite weapons in Buffalo on offense that fit his skill set well.

Win/win IMO. He has tremendous talent and huge upside, came at a low cost, and provides the Bills with a bit of insurance if Taylor asks for the moon and hasn't backed it up enough with performance to pay him.

If he can be a franchise guy, he won't need three years on the bench.  

I get the one year.  Love that.  What is he going to learn in year 3 that he didn't learn year 1?

Fourth-round QB Cardale Jones has looked "hesitant" at Bills OTAs.
Per WKBW's Joe Buscaglia, Jones "isn't trusting what he's seeing" and "the game still has to slow down for him." The Bills have known from day one that Jones would be a project, so early struggles shouldn't come as a surprise. Jones should improve with more reps, but he's going to ride the bench as a rookie.

Source: WKBW Buffalo 
Jun 17 - 3:44 PM

WKBW Buffalo's Joe Buscaglia reports fourth-round pick Cardale Jones poses "no immediate threat" to E.J. Manuel's backup job.
Buscaglia observed "inaccuracy and uncomfortability" from Jones during spring practices, and it sounds like Jones was too far behind Manuel to make up significant ground in training camp. Buscaglia predicts Jones will spend his rookie season "redshirting" as a healthy scratch on game days.

Source: WKBW Buffalo 
Jul 18 - 11:31 PM

Users who are viewing this thread