What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cardale Jones*** - Newest Charger (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah was impressed with Ohio State redshirt junior QB Cardale Jones on tape.

"Quick feet, live arm and shows poise in the pocket," Jeremiah tweeted, also pointing to a play where Jones stands tall in the face of an interior pass rush to throw a long touchdown along the right sideline. Those who closely follow the Buckeyes, like 11 Warriors, believe Jones will open the season as OSU's No. 1 quarterback.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
Jun 8 - 11:34 AM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State redshirt junior QB Cardale Jones doesn't regret not opting into the NFL Draft.

Jones could have gone as high as the latter portion of Round 1 had he opted in, but he definitely wouldn't have gotten out of Day 2 had he not. "I always say that if I had more time, maybe it would have been a different decision," Jones said. "But in my personal opinion, having more time I would have had a chance to weigh the pros and cons of coming back to school as well. ... My main thing was coming back to school to graduate so that when I do have a chance to go to the NFL, I don’t have to worry about taking classes in the offseason. I want to be done with school when I’m done with school so I can devote all my time to being a great father and NFL quarterback." Jones will have to beat out J.T. Barrett and Braxton Miller for the starting job this summer.

Source: NBC's College Football Talk
Jun 16 - 12:30 AM
Ohio State's Cardale Jones doesn't regret staying in school

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Cardale Jones - QB - Buckeyes

Ohio State redshirt junior QB Cardale Jones "has the size and arm that screams 'next level,' and despite the small sample size, one would have to think that his poise is an asset that should do nothing but grow with experience," notes NFL Media's Lance Zierlein.

The analyst ranks Jones as the fifth-best signal caller in the land (and J.T. Barrett No. 6, it's worth noting). "Jones is being ranked based on just three starts last season, but can you blame me considering how he performed on such a big, bright stage?" he wrote. The 6-foot-5, 250-pound Jones threw for 742 yards and five scores in the conference championship and two playoff games as the Buckeyes won the national title last year. "Jones' biggest concern might be finding reps at a very talented and crowded position for the Buckeyes," Zierlein wrote. "We all know that Jones can air it out and hit the big vertical throw, but he must improve on managing the intermediate passing attack."

Source: NFL.com

Jun 23 - 12:32 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper notes that Ohio State redshirt junior QB Cardale Jones "has great physical tools, but he won't be in the first-round mix unless he can win a starting job in Columbus."

"It's a small sample size -- but what a remarkable one it is," Kiper wrote. The 6-foot-5, 250-pound Jones threw for 742 yards and five scores last year in three games: The Big Ten championship versus Wisconsin, a Sugar Bowl win over Alabama, and a national title victory over Oregon. The analyst ranks Jones as the No. 3 underclassmen quarterback in the nation.

Source: ESPN Insider
Jun 23 - 10:00 PM

Daniel Jeremiah and Charles Davis say his game is like Jamarcous Russel... But not in a bad way. I'm sure that is going to be difficult for many to understand.

Rotoworld:

Ohio State redshirt junior QB Cardale Jones "probably would have been the third quarterback taken in the draft" had he entered, believes Sports on Earth's Matt Brown.

And it's possible he could be the No. 3 QB on his college team this fall. Go figure. "While Jones lost the battle to replace the injured Miller last year, he still ended up proving that he had matured greatly, on top of owning perhaps the strongest arm in college football," Brown wrote. "Barrett is a great player who has the most versatile skill set to take advantage of everything the playbook has to offer -- more so than Jones -- but the Ohio State offense reached its peak with Jones at quarterback. To be fair, he played at the end of the season when the offensive line had solidified, but Jones' Tebow-like power-running ability, combined with that arm strength, made the Buckeyes impossible to defend." The 6-foot-5, 250-pound Jones threw for 742 yards and five scores across three games in the Big Ten championship versus Wisconsin and two playoff wins over Alabama and Oregon.

Source: Sports on Earth
Jul 7 - 7:00 PM

Interesting note: the latest Heisman odds have Braxton Miller at 10-1, Cardale Jones at 20-1 and JT Barrett at 25-1.

There's been some buzz the past week or two around the program that Miller is going to enter fall camp as the starter and it will be his job to lose. Seems like Vegas is hearing the same things about Miller as Jones had much lower Heisman odds than Miller did earlier in the summer and that's now reversed.

I have a little bit of a hard time believing it (thought for sure Jones would get the nod), but that seems to be the direction things are headed 2 months before the opener at Va. Tech.

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF 20h20 hours ago

NFL QB Rating on plays under pressure in 2014: Cardale Jones: (114.8) J.T. Barrett: (67.2) #Buckeyes #QBCompetition

---------------

Saw the above and the one below that mention 12 gauge.

All thee Buckeye QBs are up for the Maxwell and so is RB Ezekiel Elliot.

I don't think this has ever happened before where three quarterbacks from the same team were up for the Maxwell Award let alone also having a running back from the same team.

Oh and I heard Barrett called for a press release and its speculated he might announce a position change (speculation was DB not WR since the Bucks are stacked at WR as well as QB) and he won't be announcing a transfer to a different school since its so late in the year.

---------------

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/07/07/jt-barrett-cardale-jones-braxton-miller-ohio-state-maxwell-award/29814655/

Three Ohio State QBs make Maxwell Award watch list USA TODAY Sports 11:54 a.m. EDT July 7, 2015

Ohio State has an embarrassment of riches at quarterback with Cardale Jones, Braxton Miller and J.T. Barrett.

Although it's not clear which of the three will start for the Buckeyes, all three have been listed on the preseason 80-player watch list for the Maxwell Award, given annually to the nation's player of the year.

Jones came on late, after an injury to season leader Barrett, to spark the Buckeyes to the national championship. Miller, who missed all of last season because of injury, is a two-time Big Ten offensive player of the year.

A fourth Buckeye, running back Ezekiel Elliott, also made the list.

Among individual schools, TCU was second with three players listed (QB Trevone Boykin, WR Josh Doctson, RB Aaron Green). Arizona, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Florida State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Stanford and Tennessee each had two.

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF 20h20 hours ago

NFL QB Rating on plays under pressure in 2014: Cardale Jones: (114.8) J.T. Barrett: (67.2) #Buckeyes #QBCompetition

---------------

Saw the above and the one below that mention 12 gauge.

All thee Buckeye QBs are up for the Maxwell and so is RB Ezekiel Elliot.

I don't think this has ever happened before where three quarterbacks from the same team were up for the Maxwell Award let alone also having a running back from the same team.

Oh and I heard Barrett called for a press release and its speculated he might announce a position change (speculation was DB not WR since the Bucks are stacked at WR as well as QB) and he won't be announcing a transfer to a different school since its so late in the year.

---------------

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/07/07/jt-barrett-cardale-jones-braxton-miller-ohio-state-maxwell-award/29814655/

Three Ohio State QBs make Maxwell Award watch list USA TODAY Sports 11:54 a.m. EDT July 7, 2015

Ohio State has an embarrassment of riches at quarterback with Cardale Jones, Braxton Miller and J.T. Barrett.

Although it's not clear which of the three will start for the Buckeyes, all three have been listed on the preseason 80-player watch list for the Maxwell Award, given annually to the nation's player of the year.

Jones came on late, after an injury to season leader Barrett, to spark the Buckeyes to the national championship. Miller, who missed all of last season because of injury, is a two-time Big Ten offensive player of the year.

A fourth Buckeye, running back Ezekiel Elliott, also made the list.

Among individual schools, TCU was second with three players listed (QB Trevone Boykin, WR Josh Doctson, RB Aaron Green). Arizona, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Florida State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Stanford and Tennessee each had two.
Braxton supposedly was going to have an update this week not JT Barrett. Seems like it all got blown out of proportion as he was just going to speak to the media for the first time in almost a year to update his injury status.

As a Buckeye fan, I'm hoping that Cardale can hold onto the starting job but that they use Braxton Miller at QB 10-20 snaps a game. Mainly in short-yardage, goal line, running out the clock late, etc. Think he could be very valuable in that role as he really is a special athlete and runner with enough passing ability to keep defenses honest.

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler notes that Ohio State redshirt junior QB Cardale Jones' "tools are highly intriguing, but the mental part of the game is very much a work-in-progress."

"If he starts in 2015, scouts will be looking for Jones to develop his progressions to see if he's able to go from 1-to-2-to-3, improving his completion percentage and making better decisions. The tools are highly intriguing, but the mental part of the game is very much a work-in-progress and his development in that area this season will ultimately determine where he is drafted," Brugler wrote. The 6-foot-5, 250-pound has the ideal frame and arm strength that impress evaluators at the next level. Brugler notes that Jones' skill-set "draws comparisons to JaMarcus Russell." Last year, Jones threw for 742 yards and five touchdowns in the conference championship and two playoff games as the Buckeyes won the national title last season.

Source: CBS Sports
Jul 14 - 3:29 PM

I know it's going to be a tough call, but I really think that JT Barrett is going to start game one for the Buckeyes, if his ankle is fully healed.

I have questions about Miller ever getting his shoulder to the point where 1) It can remain healthy after taking hits so he can throw, or even 2) If his arm is going to be healthy enough and strong enough to make the throws needed as a starter. I almost expect him to be some sort of hybrid back of some sort, as that is his ticket to the pros.

JTB might not be the best pro prospect, but he runs Urban's system the best of the three. He's a good runner, although not at Miller's level. However, he's the best of the three at running the read option. He's also the best at throwing WR open and not waiting for them to break and firing it in there. I'd also add that his leadership skills are constantly lauded.

Jones has the size and arm, but still lacks the polish of JTB. I can see Jones playing a lot of 4th quarters and killing other teams and their second units.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000503416/article/braxton-millers-dad-playing-wr-for-ohio-state-not-sons-plan?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

Braxton Miller's dad: Playing WR for Ohio State not son's plan
  • By Dan Parr
  • Published: July 24, 2015 at 10:13 a.m.
  • Updated: July 24, 2015 at 10:39 a.m

...his father, Kevin Miller, told The Columbus Dispatch that Braxton Miller still considers himself a quarterback and that the position switch is a backup plan.

"(Playing receiver is) not his plan, but if it comes down to that, he's already been putting in work," Kevin Miller said, per The Dispatch. "You don't want to wait until the last minute."

Kevin Miller's pumping of the brakes on Braxton Miller's move to a new position is in line with Buckeyes head coach Urban Meyer's comments after news of the switch broke. Meyer on Thursday told The Dispatch that "I haven't made those decisions yet. It's a little bit jumping the gun here."

A final determination on the position Braxton Miller will play in 2015 rests largely on the health of his shoulder, Kevin Miller said. Miller missed all of last season after reinjuring his throwing shoulder in fall camp.

"That's what he wants to do," Kevin Miller said of Braxton playing quarterback, per The Dispatch. "But being a competitor and a team player, if he doesn't feel that he's ready for quarterback because of the shoulder, he's open to doing whatever it takes to get on the field and help the team."
If he makes the switch then the big question is whether or not he can catch because he's got, footwork, speed, and elusiveness.

Check out these Vines:

--------------------------

https://vine.co/v/egZ3iqZI1uT

I will end with this one. Braxton Miller will make you miss.

https://vine.co/v/egZVWupr2rT

I hope Braxton breaks out this hesitation step at some point during the season

https://vine.co/v/egZ9bJEd9TX

More yards Braxton Miller creates in the open field that many others cannot

https://vine.co/v/egZ0ZMvMMPa

Picture this as a simple swing pass. Braxton eludes the first defender, picks up more yards after contact

https://vine.co/v/egZPEpXnvpg

Designed run for Braxton Miller. Took it 81 yards for a touchdown. Long speed is definitely there.

https://vine.co/v/egZPuiuIeaE

Braxton Miller. Quick feet.

--------------------------------------

The media seems to assume the switch will happen and are applauding the move:

-------------------------------------

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 16h16 hours ago

Daniel Jeremiah retweeted Pete Thamel

Great move!! This will make NFL scouts very happy.

Rotoworld:

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah believes OSU redshirt junior Cardale Jones is the most talented QB in the 2016 class.

"I studied the top NFL QB prospects over the last month... Cardale Jones has the most talent. Will be interesting to see what Urban decides," Jeremiah tweeted. Jones played in just over three games last season as J.T. Barrett led the team for much of the year. Cardale seems to be in the pole position for the starting job, but Urban Meyer has not made that statement yet. We are excited to have more 3.5 games to evaluate Jones' game.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Jul 26 - 1:38 PM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State redshirt junior QB Cardale Jones is "still very raw mentally," according to CBS Sports draft analyst Dane Brugler.

Jones' mental rawness isn't a surprise, given just how little he's actually played during his time with the Buckeyes. On the physical side of things, though, there are seemingly no concerns. Brugler noted that the 6-foot-5, 250-pounder "checks all the boxes physically with imposing size, top-shelf arm strength and enough mobility to force defenses to respect his legs." HC Urban Meyer has indicated that the team will not be choosing its starter (between Jones and J.T. Barrett) until their opening kickoff against Virginia Tech.

Source: CBS Sports

Aug 26 - 7:09 PM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State redshirt junior QB Cardale Jones was rushed to the hospital on Wednesday night with severe head pain, according to Tony Zarrella of Cleveland 19 News.

Shortly after, the folks at Eleven Warriors tweeted that Jones was taken to the hospital for a bad migraine and is now resting. Jones is competing with J.T. Barrett for the starting quarterback job. OSU faces Virginia Tech on Monday night.

Source: Tony Zarrella on Twitter

Sep 2 - 10:48 PM

The arm talent is certainly there. This guy can make throws nobody else in college is capable of.

Rotoworld:

Ohio State redshirt junior QB Cardale Jones completed 12-of-18 passes for 111 yards and no touchdowns in Saturday's win over Hawaii.

Ho-hum game for Jones, who had moved up to a 7/1 favorite in Bovada's Heisman odds after Monday's win over Virginia Tech. Neither Jones, nor backup J.T. Barrett (who completed 8-of-15 passes for 70 yards) threw a touchdown against Hawaii. In the case of the 6-foot-5, 250-pound Jones, it's important to remember that for all of his fireworks through the title game last season, he's still only made five collegiate starts. It's difficult to project how his numbers might look at the end of the season given the lack of a decent sample size, though we believe they'll look plenty shiny when all is said and done.

Sep 13 - 2:16 AM

Threw 2 bad decision picks and was benched for Barrett. Barrett threw a TD on the first possession but wasn't that good the rest of the game. Ohio State is struggling to run the ball and get their play action game going. Could be more about how the team is playing than who the QB is.

One thing is obvious, he should have come out. His stock will never be as high as it was. Having said that, a team would be crazy to draft this guy in the 1st.

Threw 2 bad decision picks and was benched for Barrett. Barrett threw a TD on the first possession but wasn't that good the rest of the game. Ohio State is struggling to run the ball and get their play action game going. Could be more about how the team is playing than who the QB is.
4/9 for 36 yards, 2 INT's.

Can't believe people thought he was anywhere near ready for the NFL last year.

Who thought he was ready? Pretty much everyone said he wasn't ready and if he went he'd have to sit for at least a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Who thought he was ready? Pretty much everyone said he wasn't ready and if he went he'd have to sit for at least a year.
You don't draft QB's in the 1st today (which people were advocating last year) with the intent of him sitting 2-3 years on the bench. He may eventually make it in the NFL but it will take years for him to learn how to play QB in the NFL.

You don't draft QB's in the 1st today (which people were advocating last year) with the intent of him sitting 2-3 years on the bench. He may eventually make it in the NFL but it will take years for him to learn how to play QB in the NFL.
Ok, but nobody advocating he entered last year said he was worthy of a high first. Most said late 2nd or 3rd. He's got a ton of raw skills, looks like J. Russell in a lot of ways IMO. I don't mean that as a dig, either. People love to forget that Russell was immensely talented and went 1 overall.

He's played what, 5 collegiate games so far. He's raw, very raw.

Ok, but nobody advocating he entered last year said he was worthy of a high first. Most said late 2nd or 3rd.He's got a ton of raw skills, looks like J. Russell in a lot of ways IMO. I don't mean that as a dig, either. People love to forget that Russell was immensely talented and went 1 overall.

My mistake...it wasn't the people in this thread but :hophead: Skip Bayless advocating for him in the 1st and an "anonymous scout" saying he would take him over Mariota.

Ok, but nobody advocating he entered last year said he was worthy of a high first. Most said late 2nd or 3rd.He's got a ton of raw skills, looks like J. Russell in a lot of ways IMO. I don't mean that as a dig, either. People love to forget that Russell was immensely talented and went 1 overall.

My mistake...it wasn't the people in this thread but :hophead: Skip Bayless advocating for him in the 1st and an "anonymous scout" saying he would take him over Mariota.
:lol: That guy is so terrible. I guess that got him some clicks, though!

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks believes it's possible that Ohio State redshirt junior QB Cardale Jones' "disappointing play against [Northern Illinois] will raise serious concerns about his ability to play the game at a high level as a pro."
"Through the first three games of the season, it is easy to surmise that Jones remains a work in progress at the position," Brooks wrote. Ohio State coach Urban Meyer benched Jones against NIU but announced Wednesday that he would keep his job over J.T. Barrett. "[Jones] struggled mightily against Northern Illinois (completed 4 of 9 passes for 36 yards with two interceptions) and didn't exhibit the poise or judgment that evaluators expect from an elite prospect," Brooks wrote. An NFC personnel director said earlier this week that Jones would have been a first-rounder had he declared for the 2015 draft. Conversely, right now Jones' stock is in flux.

Source: NFL.com
Sep 25 - 5:19 PM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State redshirt junior QB Cardale Jones is "completely" on board with the school's QB usage against Indiana.
Jones was used for the majority of each series, but Barrett would enter the game in tight red zone/goal line situations. The reasoning? Cardale can stretch the field and defenses, but in tighter quarters Barrett's efficiency and running ability are prioritized. We expect the two quarterback system to continue and the thought process behind it is sound.

Source: ESPN
Oct 12 - 11:40 AM

Users who are viewing this thread