What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Braxton Miller, WR Thread (3 Viewers)

NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock said that Ohio State WR Braxton Miller "will make a lot of money in [the NFL]."
"Will you burn a first-round pick on a developmental player?" Mayock asked. He didn't exactly answer that question, but did say that "[Miller]'s special with the ball in his hands. There will be a home for him, and he will make a lot of money in this league." The 6-foot-2, 215-pounder participated in drills at the NFL Scouting Combine on Saturday, running the 40-yard dash in 4.50 seconds. That wasn't among the top receiver times (though it's fine), but Miller absolutely excelled in more agility-oriented drills, completing the three-cone drill in 6.65 seconds (third-best time among receivers) and leading the pack in the 60-yard shuttle at 10.84 seconds.

Source: NFL.com 
Feb 27 - 8:26 PM

Ohio State WR Braxton Miller had an 89-percent similarity score with Greg Salas based on Combine athletic testing.
Miller's time in Indianapolis was a bit of the hit/miss variety, as he ran slower in the 40-yard dash than was expected (4.50 seconds), but he burned the 60-yard shuttle to the ground with a position-best 10.84 seconds. The 6-foot-2, 215-pounder's athletic comparable (at least in terms of combine numbers), Greg Salas, was selected out of Hawaii in the fourth round of the 2011 draft by the artist formerly known as the St. Louis Rams. Miller won't be falling that far. NFL Media's Mike Mayock views him as a second-rounder, while fellow analyst Chad Reuter has him scraping the top edge of the second round at pick No. 32 to the Browns in a mid-February mock draft.

Source: Mock Draftable 
Mar 4 - 10:40 PM

Ohio State WR Braxton Miller is "a joy to watch in space," writes Pro Football Focus' Gordon McGuiness.

On only 26 receptions last year, Miller broke eight tackles and juked himself free of defenders who didn't even have a chance to touch him first. Despite his obvious talent, PFF only sees Miller as a third-rounder and the No. 13 receiver in the class. "With Miller there is a lot of projection, especially considering he played just one year at wide receiver in college after moving over from quarterback," McGuiness wrote. "He is raw as a prospect, and his route running needs a lot of work, something you notice when you watch him take far too long to make a cut on a route."

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Mar 15 - 9:24 PM

Sports Illustrated's Doug Farrar compares Ohio State WR Braxton Miller to Randall Cobb.
Miller completed 395-of-666 passes for 5,292 yards and a 52/17 TD/INT ratio and rushed 600 times for 3,315 yards and 33 touchdowns at Ohio State, but he had only 25 catches for 340 yards and three touchdowns as a receiver in 2015 and remains raw at that position. "There’s absolutely no question about Miller’s athleticism; the thing that will push him into the second or third round is his relatively limited palette," Farrar wrote after breaking down his game. "To be honest, that would be the best place for him to start: as a second- or third-day draft pick who has to work his way up the latter." The analyst invoked Percy Harvin, Tavon Austin and Cordarrelle Patterson as athletic receivers who struggled to acclimate to the pro game.

Source: Sports Illustrated 
Mar 16 - 2:09 PM

Pro Football Focus says Ohio State WR Braxton Miller is a "few years away" and pegs him as the eighth-most overrated player in the class.
PFF says his future is probably in the slot as an "offense weapon", as opposed to becoming a traditional receiver featured on the outside. "As we’ve seen with Tavon Austin, offensive weapon has a limited value." Michael Renner wrote. "His route running at the moment is terribly raw. His releases off the line of scrimmage are among the slowest in college football." The analyst went on to relay an interesting anecdote from the Senior Bowl, where Miller, on a 12-yard out route, took over four seconds to reach his final break, "an eternity in the NFL."

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Mar 18 - 5:44 PM

Will not be a factor in fantasy for quite some time, if ever.
I think it depends on what team he goes to.  If he goes to a team with a good WR mentor, then I'd say it's possible.  Many WRs coming out of school are works in progress (not usually with 1 year of WR under their belt) but a lot of past QBs have succeeded in the NFL at the WR position.

An NFC scout speaking to Sports Illustrated projects Ohio State WR Braxton Miller as a mid-to-late second rounder.
"He’s a guy that’s going to need a lot of coaching but you have a lot of tools to work with," the scout said. Both the projection and the explanation sound about right. Miller is a tremendous athlete who surprising ran a sluggish 4.5 forty at the Combine. "Absolutely I was pissed off," Miller says. "I went straight to my college strength coach and said, ‘We’ve got to get this right.’ I’ve never run a 4.5 in my life. We switched up the training before the pro day and did more speed and agility." Miller improved his forty to the low 4.3s at his Pro Day.

Source: MMQB 
Apr 7 - 2:12 PM

An NFC scout speaking to Sports Illustrated projects Ohio State WR Braxton Miller as a mid-to-late second rounder.
"He’s a guy that’s going to need a lot of coaching but you have a lot of tools to work with," the scout said. Both the projection and the explanation sound about right. Miller is a tremendous athlete who surprising ran a sluggish 4.5 forty at the Combine. "Absolutely I was pissed off," Miller says. "I went straight to my college strength coach and said, ‘We’ve got to get this right.’ I’ve never run a 4.5 in my life. We switched up the training before the pro day and did more speed and agility." Miller improved his forty to the low 4.3s at his Pro Day.

Source: MMQB 
Apr 7 - 2:12 PM

Low 4.3s? nfldraftscout has Miller with a 4.43 at his Pro Day, and Xue timed him at 4.47.

Last edited by a moderator:
The past few mock drafts I've seen, he has been getting drafted in the 3rd-4th round. Seems a little high considering all the sports news outlets were raving about how he played in the Senior Bowl and the plays he was making in practice and were justifying that he would be a high 1st, low 2nd round pick.  

An anonymous NFL scout compared Ohio State WR Braxton Miller to Percy Harvin as a player where you "just get him the ball and let him be an athlete."

"He's still raw at receiver. Kind of an introverted kid," he told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "Not a big personality. I wouldn't take him before the third. Just average smarts." Miller had only 26 catches for 341 yards (13.1) and three scores in his only season as a receiver. "He is a project, but a worthwhile project," a second scout said. "He's got speed, and he's probably the best runner of the football of the whole group." A third quoted scout wasn't high on Miller: "I really have my doubts right now. There's a long way for him to go. He's an athlete, but draft him high? Not me."
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

He will get drafted in the early 2nd as an inside receiver and will probably be a KR/PR towards the end of camp, I'd guess. I'd like to see him get a chance to start at WR to see what he can do at the next level. He is arguably one of the most all around athletic guys in the draft. 

The past few mock drafts I've seen, he has been getting drafted in the 3rd-4th round. Seems a little high considering all the sports news outlets were raving about how he played in the Senior Bowl and the plays he was making in practice and were justifying that he would be a high 1st, low 2nd round pick.  
You wanna read tea leaves from January, or from April?

Draft insider Tony Pauline connects Ohio State WR Braxton Miller to the Titans in round two.
"There's a very good chance the Tennessee Titans will use (a second round pick) to select Braxton Miller," Pauline writes, adding many don't expect Miller to make it past the Texans in round two. Obviously that could change if the Texans draft a receiver in round one. Miller's process has been quiet since the Senior Bowl, but a second round selection for the one year receiver would be a great story.

Source: Walter Football 
Apr 27 - 9:53 AM

Figured this topic would be a bit more active. I think I'd take Braxton over Fuller but maybe not. I wonder if they are trying to copy a bit of the Steelers system. Big QB, dual threat RB and rotation of WRs for the 2 and 3 spots. 

Was disappointed when Houston took him so early. Texans have so many fast receivers and running backs, I see the ball being spread around too much to draft anyone other than Lamar Miller and DHop from their roster and I expect Hopkins numbers to take a hit with all the rookie talent they drafted. 

Good for the team but bad for Fantasy.

Third-round pick Braxton Miller has worked as the Texans' starting slot receiver in each of the team's first two preseason games.
Houston's perimeter receivers with the first team have been DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller. In Saturday night's preseason game against the Saints, Miller racked up three catches for 34 yards on four targets. He had 4-34 against the 49ers in the exhibition opener. Incumbent slot man Cecil Shorts appears to have fallen down the depth chart and could lose his roster spot at final cuts.

Aug 20 - 10:45 PM

Braxton Miller hauled in all three of his targets for 29 yards in Sunday’s regular season dress rehearsal.
Miller looked sharp on the opening drive, delivering back-to-back catches to set Houston up at the one-yard line, where Lamar Miller punched it in for the game’s first touchdown. He also snagged a six-yarder late in the first half. Among the starting wideouts, only Will Fuller out-snapped Miller. The third-round pick has enjoyed a productive preseason so far with 10 catches for 97 yards. Look for Miller to open 2016 as the Texans’ starting slot receiver.

Aug 28 - 6:44 PM

Any thoughts on Miller long-term? I'm out of playoff contention and am focusing on acquiring young talent. I love his athleticism, and even though he's raw as a WR I do think he has the skills to make the transition. Had a nice play last night and was heavily involved, though overall it was a mixed bag. Probably have to be patient with him, but he has nice upside if he can be had cheap.

Any thoughts on Miller long-term? I'm out of playoff contention and am focusing on acquiring young talent. I love his athleticism, and even though he's raw as a WR I do think he has the skills to make the transition. Had a nice play last night and was heavily involved, though overall it was a mixed bag. Probably have to be patient with him, but he has nice upside if he can be had cheap.
He's been picked up and dropped a few times in our dynasty. I'm thinking of taking my turn and dropping Dwayne Washington for him. I think for sure he's a 2018 out from being any kind of meaningful fantasy factor. 

But I liked seeing them working him into offense last night. 

Braxton Miller has already recovered from the shoulder injury which ended his 2016.

Miller was placed on injured reserve in December with a sprained AC joint, but the injury did not require surgery. He is already back to 100 percent and will be ready for the offseason program. Despite a shortened rookie season, the converted quarterback said he "learned a lot" about how to be a receiver. "It's just learning the little small details about getting separation, how to run your route, the little teaching techniques," Miller said. "I'm going to come back in 2017 and turn it up to another level." Jan 28 - 11:01 AM

Texans sophomore WR Braxton Miller said he is taking advantage of working with assistant WRs coach Wes Welker.

"The role he played is the type of role I'm playing in this offense," Miller said. "So it's a great opportunity for me to learn from one of the greatest slot players to play the game. Especially in this type of system." Miller struggled along with the rest of the passing game last season before landing on injured reserve with a shoulder injury in December. The former quarterback should be more comfortable coming out of his first full NFL offseason, however, and working with Welker can only help. He is still unlikely to have a fantasy-relevant role behind DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller.

Source: houstontexans.com 
Jun 1 - 10:22 AM

Texans WR Braxton Miller's role will expand with Will Fuller expected to miss the beginning of the season.

Already penciled as the Texans' first-team slot receiver, Miller now has a chance to start in two-wide sets with Fuller nursing a broken collarbone. Fuller is in danger of missing the first month of the season, if not more. While unlikely to become an asset in standard leagues, Miller could offer some deep PPR appeal early in the year. He's worth rostering in Dynasty leagues.

Source:  Houston Chronicle

Aug 3 - 4:42 PM

Miller's long-term (dynasty) ceiling?  Your confidence level in him obtaining that. Any takers?

(I live outside the US and see very little football. For example I have never seen Miller play. So I rely on what I read and "see" thru the fine folks here.)

The Houston Chronicle considers Braxton Miller on the roster bubble.

Miller has struggled with injuries his first two years, and hasn't done much when on the field. With Houston adding fourth-rounder Keke Coutee this offseason, he isn't a lock to keep his spot. Miller needs to hold off Sammie Coates, DeAndrew White, and Chris Thompson in training camp.

Source: Houston Chronicle 

Jul 6 - 5:14 PM

Braxton Miller has shown "signs of progress" at training camp.

"He’s going to have to go out there and continue to get better and improve, but I do see a lot of improvement with him," coach Bill O'Brien said on Miller's start to camp. After struggling with injuries the last two years, Miller is on the roster bubble. Keke Coutee's injury gives Miller the early edge for Houston's slot role.

Source: Houston Chronicle 

Aug 3 - 7:42 PM

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said Braxton Miller has "made a lot of improvements."

"Braxton's done some good things," said O'Brien. "The thing with Braxton is always going to be staying healthy. It's going to be what does he do on special teams, but he's made a lot of improvements at receiver and it's a real battle at that position." It's the second time O'Brien has given Miller a vote of confidence. With Keke Coutee sidelined, Miller and Bruce Ellington are competing for slot reps.

Source: Houston Chronicle

Aug 11 - 5:21 PM

Users who are viewing this thread