What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (1 Viewer)

Sandeman said:
FBG calls Zenner a possible RB2 or flex this year, suggesting a fall from grace for Ameer. I'm not sure we have clarity here yet.
I think that more suggests the fall of Bell. Detroit could have two decent RB2 guys, Ameer and Bell or Zenner.
I think you're right (or perhaps Bell is out due to injury). But hoping for RB2 numbers from two rookies, absent an injury to the other, seems a stretch.

Sandeman said:
FBG calls Zenner a possible RB2 or flex this year, suggesting a fall from grace for Ameer. I'm not sure we have clarity here yet.
Or it suggests a mistake from FBG. Most teams don't give a guy 10 carries in the 4th preseason game if he's one of their projected starters. The fact that Ameer didn't even play in this game while Zenner got a pretty big workload says a lot about their standing on the depth chart.

Zenner seems a little overhyped IMO. He does look like he has some ability and maybe he can push Bell for the "thunder" role over the course of the season, but he's not in the same zip code as Abdullah when it comes to running skills. Just my opinion. Zenner seems like a Gerhart type. Bigger back with okay speed and moves, but ultimately nothing that's going to separate him from a crowded backfield.

Sandeman said:
Or it suggests a mistake from FBG. Most teams don't give a guy 10 carries in the 4th preseason game if he's one of their projected starters. The fact that Ameer didn't even play in this game while Zenner got a pretty big workload says a lot about their standing on the depth chart.

Zenner seems a little overhyped IMO. He does look like he has some ability and maybe he can push Bell for the "thunder" role over the course of the season, but he's not in the same zip code as Abdullah when it comes to running skills. Just my opinion. Zenner seems like a Gerhart type. Bigger back with okay speed and moves, but ultimately nothing that's going to separate him from a crowded backfield.
It was very clear they were saying Zenner has RB2/Flex potential IF Bell suffers a setback or is not his old self. And that he is a guy that should be on your waiver wire speed dial or even a late round target.

They are obviously high on Zenner but folks are reading too much into it IMO.

Sandeman said:

Just a little overhyped? He's waaaaay overhyped, IMO

Absolutely love our RB corps this year, but simply haven't touched any Lion's RB in the 3 drafts I've done.

No idea how you predict what is going to happen with Bell. If he plays he'll hoover goal line duties.

Riddick has always been a very very good pass catcher with great shiftiness, and in limited carries this pre season I've thought he looks a little stronger as well ( has apparently put on a little weight ). He should steal some passes from Abdullah, and was used inn the red zone a few times last season.

Zenner. Most likely dependant on what happens with Bell, but could see him being given a few carries that Abdullah might have got if Bell isn't on the field.

Very hard to predict whats going to happen with Ameer, imo. You got Bell/Zenner to be given some carries, and you got Riddick who may take some passes away.

They will obviously find a largish role for Abdullah, but his value just got a little too high for my tastes by the time drafting came around.

chad in Indy said:
jurb26 said:
Ameer is the expected return man, both KO & punt. Can't imagin that bodes well for him being a "lead RB" type.

http://www.rotowire.com
I thought this too. I don't like it when teams are willing to put their RB in at kick return. It's a red flag to me
Desean Jackson's returned punts throughout most of his career - including 2013, his best year. I agree, you don't like to see it but it happens. See if he's still returning kicks mid-season.

chad in Indy said:
jurb26 said:
Ameer is the expected return man, both KO & punt. Can't imagin that bodes well for him being a "lead RB" type.

http://www.rotowire.com
I thought this too. I don't like it when teams are willing to put their RB in at kick return. It's a red flag to me
Desean Jackson's returned punts throughout most of his career - including 2013, his best year. I agree, you don't like to see it but it happens. See if he's still returning kicks mid-season.
It's a bit different for a WR than a RB, in the sense that a RB with a big role on offense might touch the ball 15+ times, while a WR like Jackson, even with a big role in his offense might touch the ball 5-6 times.

It's also true that Jackson is an exception, and this is not normally a good sign.

But most already understood that Abdullah's role in the offense is most likely in the 10-15 touch range and not the 15 plus. Being in a return yardage league, this could make him a safe RB2 play.

But most already understood that Abdullah's role in the offense is most likely in the 10-15 touch range and not the 15 plus. Being in a return yardage league, this could make him a safe RB2 play.
I don't see him getting 4+ returns per game and up to 15 touches on offense per game. I think he gets up to 15 touches per game, including returns. So having him on returns may reduce his ceiling on offense.

I don't see him getting 4+ returns per game and up to 15 touches on offense per game. I think he gets up to 15 touches per game, including returns. So having him on returns may reduce his ceiling on offense.
Probably right. If he's a good return man and makes most of those touches, can still be a pretty darn good RB3 on a roster to fill in on byes or flex if needed.

Jesus, this thread is full of emotional women. He had one huge preseason run......and suddenly he was destined to be a fantasy God. Now he's returning kicks.....and he is an afterthought. So reactionary.

No wonder people make a ton of money in the stock market going against the grain.

I think Ameer Abdullah has an incredible amount of promise, but this year I don't think he will produce as much as people are saying. Joique Bell is still the starting RB in Detroit, but Abdullah will definitely have a role. Abdullah has a huge amount of value for keeper leagues especially, but only about an average amount in standard leagues

Jesus, this thread is full of emotional women.
cool misogyny, brah.

bell is coming off both knee And achilles surgery.

while i totally buy that the staff is going to be stubborn and try to give bell plenty of carries, and it will cap ameer early in the season, bell will either never quite get right and try to play through it, or he'll get hurt trying to compensate for being at about 68%

ameer has been really obviously a star in the making since he put up his ridic combine numbers, and he's gonna be fun to watch for years.

that said, as someone who was loving him in the 7th and 8th, then never passing him in the 5th as draft season went on, he's a mid third now and i'm passing at that price.

Can someone name a fantasy relevant RB who also a return man?
Barry Sanders
118 total return yards in 10 years
Right. I retract his name.

Unbelievable college returner though. :D
14 TDs - 4 on kick returns - when he was still backing up Thurman his sophomore year.

Still not sure what I'm doing with Ameer Week 1. My other flex option is Spiller, so I'll probably roll with him, but I don't feel great about it. I just feel like he's a guy that will get better as the year goes on, but not sure what his usage will be the first month or so.

I think that more suggests the fall of Bell. Detroit could have two decent RB2 guys, Ameer and Bell or Zenner.
I think you're right (or perhaps Bell is out due to injury). But hoping for RB2 numbers from two rookies, absent an injury to the other, seems a stretch.
Lions rookie RB Zach Zenner is not expected to have a large offensive role this season.
Joique Bell and Ameer Abdullah should serve as the Lions' primary backs with Theo Riddick filling in occasionally in passing situations. Zenner's role should be similar to the one served by George Winn, who carried the ball 19 times while mostly contributing on special teams a season ago. If Bell gets injured or is ineffective, however, Zenner could see his role expand.

Am I crazy to start Abdullah over Ivory week 1 in a 0.5 ppr. I feel like he will have lots of opportunities with Joique missing most of training camp and coming off injury.

I'm of the opinion that AA is starting week 1. I drafted him in nearly every league I'm in (22) and can't imagine Bell, after having 2 offseason surgeries and not playing or practicing to date, starting week 1. I think once AA starts a few weeks in a row, there will be no looking back. I've been wrong before but that's how I see this situation shaking out. Count me as starting AA week 1.

I'm of the opinion that AA is starting week 1. I drafted him in nearly every league I'm in (22) and can't imagine Bell, after having 2 offseason surgeries and not playing or practicing to date, starting week 1. I think once AA starts a few weeks in a row, there will be no looking back. I've been wrong before but that's how I see this situation shaking out. Count me as starting AA week 1.
:yes:

Starting him, but mostly out of necessity with LeVeon out. Not dreading it though, he's definitely, RIGHT NOW, the best running back in Detroit. People in some 16, even some 12 team leagues should feel great about him as an RB2, I just not super happy about forcing him into that role before everything inevitably shakes out.

I love that he's returning kicks padding value like Percy or Bush. I'm starting him as rb2 in several leagues with confidence

Quick, your matthew stafford. Who do you want pass blocking for you while megatron and gt go deep? Uhuh.
I think Ameer will be one of his primary targets. He's a great receiver.

He's also considered to be extremely smart and high-character, so he'll probably have the playbook and assignments down pat.

I love that he's returning kicks padding value like Percy or Bush. I'm starting him as rb2 in several leagues with confidence
Unless you get points for return yards, I'm not sure why you would want your RB2 returning kicks and punts. The additional injury potential is usually not worth the upside of one or two special teams scores for the year.

22 leagues? Wow.
i know right ????
Oh c'mon. You guys aren't in 20+ leagues?
I have only played in one league for the past 20 years (or so). I have considered joining others but I don't like the idea that you will end up rooting for one player in one league and against that same player in another league. It seems that when you are in 22 leagues you would have a vested interest in a significant portion of all NFL skill players. Maybe it dilutes things so much that you don't have a rooting interest in any player so you just get to watch games and not worry about it but you get that same value by being in zero leagues.

But, hey, whatever works for you is cool by me. Just not my cup of tea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread