What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (1 Viewer)

Great landing spot. Lions love to throw to their RBs, and Joique Bell is not that big a barrier to playing time.

Nice spot. I think you have to go White/Cooper/Gurley/Gordon in some order in the top 4. Abdullah in contention for picks 5-7. I'm likely to rate him above Dorsett and Perriman.

Nice spot. I think you have to go White/Cooper/Gurley/Gordon in some order in the top 4. Abdullah in contention for picks 5-7. I'm likely to rate him above Dorsett and Perriman.
Top 4 should be set. 5-7 will likely be a mixed bag (Parker, agholor, yeldon, Abdullah, and a few other Wr's all in play)

The Lions also went with Guard Laken Tomlinson out of Duke in the first round.

2015 1 28 G Laken Tomlinson

2014 3 76 C Travis Swanson

2013 3 65 G Larry Warford

2012 1 23 T Riley Reiff

i am for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly a mid to late 1st consideration, but I think Joique 'not being a big barrier to playing time' is a bit much. He's been pretty effective in all facets.

I like it. Would anyone considering trading down from 1.1 or 1.2 to like 1.5, 1.6 and get this kid + ?
I like abdullah a lot, but would rather stay at 1/2 and take gurley/gordon. Abdullah is worth the 5/6 pick though

I like it. Would anyone considering trading down from 1.1 or 1.2 to like 1.5, 1.6 and get this kid + ?
I traded out of 1.03 for 1.06 and 2.06 with the intention of drafting him. I'm hoping no one in my league reads that and snipes me :)

All the sport writers and talk radio guys seem to hate the pick. For what it is worth.

Edit. In Detroit

All the sport writers and talk radio guys seem to hate the pick. For what it is worth.

Edit. In Detroit
Very odd since before the draft I had them picking Abdullah or Duke. He's a very good receiving back who seems perfect for their system.

It was only a late 2nd and I expect him to take over for Bell's role in a couple of years.

Round 2, Pick 22 (54) Ameer Abdullah RB 5'9" 205 Nebraska 5.7 Pick Analysis: "Abdullah is outstanding in the passing game. The problem has been fumbles; he has small hands. He is really good in the zone run game. He has breakaway speed. If he hits the hole, he's gone." -- Mike Mayock Yeah, uh, no.

Edit. In Detroit
Very odd since before the draft I had them picking Abdullah or Duke. He's a very good receiving back who seems perfect for their system.

It was only a late 2nd and I expect him to take over for Bell's role in a couple of years.
I think it was when he was picked. With Coleman still on the board and because we are in Michigan a lot of people like Langford better.

Edit. In Detroit

I think it was when he was picked. With Coleman still on the board and because we are in Michigan a lot of people like Langford better.
And the average Lions fan is cognitively impaired.

Top 4 should be set. 5-7 will likely be a mixed bag (Parker, agholor, yeldon, Abdullah, and a few other Wr's all in play)
I've tentatively got him at 1.06. I can't see myself taking him ahead of Cooper/White/Gurley/Gordon/Parker. Those guys all look good and you have to respect the draft slot to some extent. On the other hand, I feel like a case can be made for him over Perriman/Dorsett/Agholor/Yeldon. I would say that cluster seems exponentially riskier than the first group.

I've tentatively got him at 1.06. I can't see myself taking him ahead of Cooper/White/Gurley/Gordon/Parker. Those guys all look good and you have to respect the draft slot to some extent. On the other hand, I feel like a case can be made for him over Perriman/Dorsett/Agholor/Yeldon. I would say that cluster seems exponentially riskier than the first group.
Agholor seems pretty nice to me at the 1.06 in ppr leagues. Hand picked by Chip in the 1st? Sign me up.

Hand picked by Chip
I haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet. Chip seems to value Pac-12 guys. Maybe a little too much.

There was never a time at USC that I thought Agholor was better than Woods or Lee, so it's weird to see him drafted higher than either. On paper, it makes sense. He has enough measurables and his production was good. Personally, I never felt he was 1st round material though.

Agholor pick has a bit of an AJ Jenkins feel to me, but I'm sure they did their homework.

Edit. In Detroit

And the average Lions fan is cognitively impaired.
So is the average Lion's front office personnel.

Yeah if a draft happens before camp and the pre-season gives better data, I'd be fine with taking Abdulah from about 1.6 onwards. Lots of question marks in that mid- to late-1st range so in my opinion, for now everyone should just draft 1.6+ according to need and/or their gut. For an RB-needy team I'd strongly consider Abdullah at this point, maybe even 1.5 if you don't believe in Parker/Tannehill.

My only issue with Abdullah is that he could be stuck as a COP guy and never really break that role. I'm interested in how much the Lions are going to feature him in their passing game.

Could be PPR gold.

My only issue with Abdullah is that he could be stuck as a COP guy and never really break that role. I'm interested in how much the Lions are going to feature him in their passing game.

Could be PPR gold.
Truthfully, I think back to previous rookie drafts, and that seems to be the typical dilemma for picks starting in the middle of the first round - "could be PPR gold, could be a pine rider." No 'sure things' last that long into a rookie draft. That's why I can't ever laugh at the people whose draft strategy is to trade away their picks for older studs or proven journeymen.

Could be PPR gold.
Not saying they are alike as runners but I still have Lache Seastrunk nightmares.

Could be PPR gold.
Not saying they are alike as runners but I still have Lache Seastrunk nightmares.
Man, Lache Seastrunk had some of the best HS highlights I've ever watched. Really wanted Nebraska to get him. He was straight ridiculous. If I had to put a complaint on him, it'd be that he never really stopped being a "sprinter" as a runner. He's always been faster and quicker than everyone else, so he never learned how to get low and churn his legs the right way to fight through contact. Then we/he learned that he's really only a 4.5 kind of guy, not a 4.3 kind of guy, and that Jamaal Charles high sprinter running style isn't working for him in the NFL.

For thread relevance, I'll say that Seastrunk and Abdullah do have similar styles of jump cutting/juking, which bears out in their leg strength combine numbers (Abdullah 42.5" vert 130" broad jump vs Seastrunk 41.5" vert 134" broad jump). Top 9 in both drills for all combine RBs since 1999.

Eminence said:

Could be PPR gold.
I'm not saying this after the fact and told people I know for about the past month that the Lions would take Abdullah. I've never been more sure of a team taking a player in the second round in my life.

He's perfect for what they ask their RB's to do, and that's NOT to be a feature back and NOT to pass block.

This is the Saints offense. Same thing, different parts. Saints under Payton don't ask their RB's to pass protect often. Lions either. Per PFF total pass blocking snaps by Bell, Bush and Riddick totaled 93 on the entire season so it's a small part of what they ask their RB's do.

They also, like the Saints, don't go with the bellcow RB approach so he is going to be a COP.

All of this is good news for Abdullah and why I though it was a perfect fit. His two big issues are fumbling and pass protection and one of them won't be a big issue with the Lions. He also may not have the size to carry a huge load in the NFL, and with his workload in college not sure he's last long.

When you catch passes you don't need a huge workload to be relevant it just means you don't have a high ceiling but even Sproles carved out some top 10 years which can be considered a high ceiling.

That's what you have in Abdullah. A talented young runner who should catch a lot of passes and range from PT to Sproles type production as long as he's healthy and the coaching staff is intact.

In addition to combine numbers, Abdullah, in his 40-yard dash, was the 3rd fastest to the 10-yard marker. Combined with his combine numbers, it tells me he can hit a hole fast, but lacks elite long speed. That may not lead to 70 or 80 yard runs but he should be good for some 20 or 30 yard runs that the Lions severely lacked last year.

Hard to imagine Abdullah lasting past 1.07 in any PPr leagues unles a guy is making a hard need pick ( gurley/Gordon/cooper/white/Parker/agholor/Abdullah in some order)

Hard to imagine Abdullah lasting past 1.07 in any PPr leagues unles a guy is making a hard need pick ( gurley/Gordon/cooper/white/Parker/agholor/Abdullah in some order)
I was just able to trade up to 1.11 and snag him in my rookie draft. So there is hope past 1.06 for sure...

mcintyre1 said:
Interview from Mayhew and Caldwell on Ameer

Sounds like they're intending him to share time (no real surprise there). I'd anticipate a lot of receptions in his future. "Best player available" quotes, of course. Will return kicks.
The playing on special teams as well as the possibility of sometimes being slotted as a 3rd WR (Lions lacked a solid 3rd WR option last year) gives this guy multiple situations to work with IF they decide to use him those ways.

Coleman?
I think when the dust settles before drafts, people will see Abdullah more as a guy that can do everything in detroit that they want and people will begin to wonder if Coleman might be limited as some people refer to him as a one trick pony

I was just able to trade up to 1.11 and snag him in my rookie draft. So there is hope past 1.06 for sure...
I think you're benefitting from drafting so soon after the draft

Greg Cosell analyzes Lions’ draft picks

Excerpt:

Round 2 (54) Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska

Cosell: “I’ve got to tell you I really loved him too. He’s got outstanding natural quickness with explosive short area burst and acceleration. He’s got that stop and start quickness that you love to see. He gets to speed quickly. He can go from 0-60 in a heartbeat. He’s your classic kind of loose hips, elusive runner with a lot of wiggle to make defenders miss.

“The fumbles showed up (on film study) but they didn’t bother me and jump out to me where I was watching him going ‘oh my god, this guy is a fumbler and it’s a real problem.’ It didn’t strike me that way. Obviously for a coach one fumble is too many, so I’m not going to sit here and tell you it doesn’t mean anything, but I didn’t feel like he was a fumbler with a terrible problem.”

Final line: “I made the note when I was done, and I know this sounds controversial, but you know me enough to know that I don’t say anything to be controversial, it’s just based on what I see on film ... I thought he could be, and you could make the argument, he’s the most talented runner in this class after (Todd) Gurley, but will not be drafted like that due to his size and questions about his utilization in the NFL.”

Ameer landed in a great spot for his talent, but his workload and GL carries are concerns. Do you guys think he can absolutely take over a primary role in the 2 years?

Ameer landed in a great spot for his talent, but his workload and GL carries are concerns. Do you guys think he can absolutely take over a primary role in the 2 years?
The Lion's history says they drafted him to be an every down back, they seem to like the smaller backs, see Bush and Best. Can Abdullah hold up better than Bush and Best did remains to be seen.

He handled a huge workload in college.

LeSean McCoy is no bigger (actually has less strength) and he has been a workhorse in the NFL.

Even if it doesn't play out like that, he could catch 50-60 passes per season. Big value in PPR regardless of the rushing.

He's 2 inches taller than MJD was but gives up 5lbs. It wouldn't surprise me if he puts on weight in the NFL though. The key with alot of these "small" backs is whether or not they have the ability to run inside. Abdullah looks like a solid inside runner on tape. From what I've seen, he shows nice vision and has a great burst and lateral agility.

Joique Bell has been atrocious the last two seasons and there's really no reason for it. I don't care how bad the line is, if you have an offense that is throwing the ball 600 for 4000+ yards, there should be some room to run.

Last season Riddick featured in several plays near the goaline, as did Bush. He'll at least get screen passes within the 10 and maybe line up as a slot receiver as well, alongside potentially getting some normal hand offs. Bell tends to get dinged up as well at times.

He's 2 inches taller than MJD was but gives up 5lbs. It wouldn't surprise me if he puts on weight in the NFL though. The key with alot of these "small" backs is whether or not they have the ability to run inside. Abdullah looks like a solid inside runner on tape. From what I've seen, he shows nice vision and has a great burst and lateral agility.

Joique Bell has been atrocious the last two seasons and there's really no reason for it. I don't care how bad the line is, if you have an offense that is throwing the ball 600 for 4000+ yards, there should be some room to run.
Ameer sort of reminds me of mjd as a runner. As these guys mature a bit adding 5-10lbs is easy. Mjd was a fierce blocker though. If ameer proves he can do that I could see him being a 280+ touch rb.

Last season Riddick featured in several plays near the goaline, as did Bush. He'll at least get screen passes within the 10 and maybe line up as a slot receiver as well, alongside potentially getting some normal hand offs. Bell tends to get dinged up as well at times.
Bush and Theo combined for 14 TDs the last two years so I think he could be a 7-8 TD guy so I suppose that is good, but not great.

The Lion's history says they drafted him to be an every down back, they seem to like the smaller backs, see Bush and Best. Can Abdullah hold up better than Bush and Best did remains to be seen.
The offensive coordinator has a history using platoons heavily though.

Users who are viewing this thread