What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (2 Viewers)

one guy gets mad hes not appreciated enough for setting up our group.... he'll send out an email and get pissed if no one responds in like an hour.

My dad is  pissed because they told him the golf trip is for original members (which i wasn't) but when my dad signed up there are 2 guys he doesnt even know that are younger than me) so hes not going on the trip.  He doesnt want to play next year.  He doesnt care about invite he just hates all the behind the back bull#### they do....  Its for xyz.   But then abc gets invited.

Then there was nonsense with non members playing this year.

Its just a mess.  I guess when you retire you get this nonsense.  I dont care tbh - I just want to have a standing time at 7am on Sunday morning but if my pop is out I probably have to be out.  ANd they are talking about dropping one time ....blah blah blah 

Guess I'll be looking elsewhere to play

But I only pay 1600 a year for 30 rounds at a really nice course (plus 2 others)  - I'm not readt to drop 4000  on a normal membership elsewhere

Last edited by a moderator:
weird golf year for me.   With the Rona, golf was one thing i really could enjoy this whole pandemic.   from June-Aug i was playing pretty good golf and my handi dropped to high 4, low 5

then September came and we had the fires.   So much smoke you couldn't play, this went on for 3 weeks the club was closed.   They cancelled our member member, which we were defending champs (me and my BIL), ended up pushing to late oct.   Well i didn't touch a club for 5 weeks.   oops.

played horrible during the member member in late oct, shot mid 80's both days and we finished in the middle of the pack, an afterthought.   This really bugged me.   

since i had decided NOT to buy ski passes this year due to RONA restrictions and high likelihood they'll shut the mountains down again, i though well i should play golf all winter then.  Normally i stop playing in Oct then resume in April/May.  Not this year.   I went to work trying to figure out what had happened to my swing and why was I all over the place, missing routine shots I used to dominate etc...

the guys that work at the club started seeing me there every day, hitting balls, chipping, putting   just grinding away on my swing.   They were teasing me about it.

i did this for the entire month of November and first week of Dec.    about 2 wks ago I met some guys out there to play nine holes.   I only got in 8 holes but had 3 birdies and missed birdie putts on 2 other holes.   For the first time in a long time, i felt like i was back to just dominating that course and controlling the ball.

this is what I learned and have changed in the last 2 months:

a) the golf swing isn't as long as I thought it was, my internal "rubber band" was too stretched, backswing too long

b) as a direct result of over reachign on the backswing, the downswing was suffering from early release and redirection to get the club back to square at impact.  Fixing the backswing helped then fix the downswing into impact.   The key was realizing what I thought internally was a full turn was actually about 120% of a full turn.   

c) balance and weight transfer is much more critical than I was making it.   In other words, because my balance and weight transfer was moving too much side to side throughout the swing it was creating other problems, mainly in ballstriking and ball flight consistency.   If you can reduce the amount of preswing and early swing sway back, and then reduce that going forward into impact, you get better ball flight and contact.   Lateral movement and weight transfer is more subtle.   This is a tough one,  you move a lot more than you realize and its easiest to see it when someone videos your swing.  Even when you can see it, its a tough one to "relearn" because your body wants to move.

d) certain drills really help, but one that i think is best is this:   pick a flag say 100 yards ie.   You have a club in your bag that is your 100 yd club.     grab it.   get warmed up and get to the point where you are consistently hitting that 100 yard mark.   Ok, now the fun starts.    Gradually decrease the amount of backswing down while at the same time trying to still get 100 yards out of the club.   Try to make the easiest swing you can possibly make and still compress the ball at impact enough to get 100 yards out of it.   keep doing this until you can make what seems like an effortless swing go 100 yards.   Now do with with all your clubs.  

the only way it will work, as you'll discover, is to keep a firm straight left arm, accelerate through impact with your body as you turn down and hold on to that lag in your left wrist to the very last moment.   The actual transition from backswing to downswing can be slow and smooth, as long as you keep accelerating  through the ball.   And thats another insight, the ball isn't the end of the swing.   You are swinging through the ball to your left side.   the other insight is keeping that hitting hand  in as wide an arc possible creates free speed so you don't have to swing as hard to hit full distance.

one guy gets mad hes not appreciated enough for setting up our group.... he'll send out an email and get pissed if no one responds in like an hour.

My dad is  pissed because they told him the golf trip is for original members (which i wasn't) but when my dad signed up there are 2 guys he doesnt even know that are younger than me) so hes not going on the trip.  He doesnt want to play next year.  He doesnt care about invite he just hates all the behind the back bull#### they do....  Its for xyz.   But then abc gets invited.

Then there was nonsense with non members playing this year.

Its just a mess.  I guess when you retire you get this nonsense.  I dont care tbh - I just want to have a standing time at 7am on Sunday morning but if my pop is out I probably have to be out.  ANd they are talking about dropping one time ....blah blah blah 

Guess I'll be looking elsewhere to play

But I only pay 1600 a year for 30 rounds at a really nice course (plus 2 others)  - I'm not readt to drop 4000  on a normal membership elsewhere
If I were you I'd just do a father son thing every Sunday at 7.  I had a standing tee time with my dad for about 6 years every Saturday morning once I moved back close to home.  It was the one time a week I knew I was gonna hang with my dad.  Now that he's gone I really am glad I had those Saturday mornings.  Wish I still had them.

If I were you I'd just do a father son thing every Sunday at 7.  I had a standing tee time with my dad for about 6 years every Saturday morning once I moved back close to home.  It was the one time a week I knew I was gonna hang with my dad.  Now that he's gone I really am glad I had those Saturday mornings.  Wish I still had them.
Well finding a course or membership that would get me that is the problem

I've played some sloppy rounds.  Went from a 74 and 76 (tees were up a bit) to stretches of my usual 80-85.  Then I shot a 90 on Saturday.  Been a long time since a 90, even in tough conditions.  Just sloppy in every aspect, terrible ball striking, didn't get up and down (usually a strength).  Worse was I wasn't even carrying myself as a good player (I was down to a 5.6 a few months ago).  Good players get to the course in time for a proper warm up instead of going from the parking lot to the first tee.  They clean their clubs after each swing and ensure grooves are good.  They have wet towels to ensure no dirt is on the ball before putting.  They see short game shots from multiple angles and then commit.  I got away from the whole mental aspect of it and was just out there to clear my head.  F that.  Leads to some pretty ####ty golf.

Went yesterday and committed to do all the right things.  Light years different.  38 front and shot 79.  Nothing worse than a 5 on the card until the par 5 18th, when my 3rd didn't get on the right tier with an impossible pin.  Made some good par putts and 2 tap in birdies but missed a few others.  Every shot wasn't perfect but my mental approach was.  I enjoyed it so much more.  And you know, maybe the drinks have to wait until post round.  Play better without 'em.  I'm committed going forward to carrying myself like a good player even when I'm not.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
i actually think I tend to hit my irons BETTER when i dont warm up as much (or at all). I think I tend to keep my swing more compact.

Driver is a whole other story. No warmup is a recipe for potential disaster on the first tee. Not all the time, but it leads to the occasional #### up (and I'm generally against the idea of breakfast balls)

Well finding a course or membership that would get me that is the problem
Yeah that’s much easier said than done. You couldn’t do that at my club or any of the clubs that I’m a closet member at. 

My club has switched over to all online booking so it would be possible through that if you were diligent about booking it out the two weeks in advance. 

Meh I've gone parking lot to first tee plenty of times :)   Especially if the course has no range .....
What’s funny is when I do this my first tee ball is usually dead nuts middle. But then there’s a several hole dip until I’m warm. 

I play so much better with a warm up. I need to stretch, get some whisky in the system, hit a few clean chips and putts, etc. just so much better for my mindset. 

oh dont get me wrong.  My preferred method is maybe hit a dozen balls, then go putt.

But a 6:50 am tee time.  Theres plenty of hit 3 or 4 putts and tee-off - or no warm up and hit 2 practice putts on the first green away from the hole  :shhhhh

My update. I haven't played a round in 3 years now after various injuries and a full transition to playing competitive disc golf. I'm going to spend the next 3 months getting my body ready to start re-building my golf game again during Spring of 2021.  Hoping to re-engage and be able to play both disc golf and ball golf competitively.  

Yeah that’s much easier said than done. You couldn’t do that at my club or any of the clubs that I’m a closet member at. 

My club has switched over to all online booking so it would be possible through that if you were diligent about booking it out the two weeks in advance. 

Yeah, our place did the same thing this year due to COVID. The course was much busier this year and with the play restrictions that were in place for a while, tee time booking was a zoo.  Booking opened at 4 PM 2 weeks in advance and if you weren't on there by like 4:10, you were risking getting shut out. (on weekends) Very annoying and hope things are back to normal next year.

• Smile
Hybrids. Or - hit it 10-20 yds short of the green and learn the low pitch up the green and get up and down. 

If I’m 215 out and pin is over a bunker yes I CAN carry my 4 iron 215 but I don’t always. So I’ll play a 5 iron to the open front part of the green and pitch up near the hole. 
good play.  IMO

usually takes double bogey out of the equation.

weird golf year for me.   With the Rona, golf was one thing i really could enjoy this whole pandemic.   from June-Aug i was playing pretty good golf and my handi dropped to high 4, low 5

then September came and we had the fires.   So much smoke you couldn't play, this went on for 3 weeks the club was closed.   They cancelled our member member, which we were defending champs (me and my BIL), ended up pushing to late oct.   Well i didn't touch a club for 5 weeks.   oops.

played horrible during the member member in late oct, shot mid 80's both days and we finished in the middle of the pack, an afterthought.   This really bugged me.   

since i had decided NOT to buy ski passes this year due to RONA restrictions and high likelihood they'll shut the mountains down again, i though well i should play golf all winter then.  Normally i stop playing in Oct then resume in April/May.  Not this year.   I went to work trying to figure out what had happened to my swing and why was I all over the place, missing routine shots I used to dominate etc...

the guys that work at the club started seeing me there every day, hitting balls, chipping, putting   just grinding away on my swing.   They were teasing me about it.

i did this for the entire month of November and first week of Dec.    about 2 wks ago I met some guys out there to play nine holes.   I only got in 8 holes but had 3 birdies and missed birdie putts on 2 other holes.   For the first time in a long time, i felt like i was back to just dominating that course and controlling the ball.

this is what I learned and have changed in the last 2 months:

a) the golf swing isn't as long as I thought it was, my internal "rubber band" was too stretched, backswing too long

b) as a direct result of over reachign on the backswing, the downswing was suffering from early release and redirection to get the club back to square at impact.  Fixing the backswing helped then fix the downswing into impact.   The key was realizing what I thought internally was a full turn was actually about 120% of a full turn.   

c) balance and weight transfer is much more critical than I was making it.   In other words, because my balance and weight transfer was moving too much side to side throughout the swing it was creating other problems, mainly in ballstriking and ball flight consistency.   If you can reduce the amount of preswing and early swing sway back, and then reduce that going forward into impact, you get better ball flight and contact.   Lateral movement and weight transfer is more subtle.   This is a tough one,  you move a lot more than you realize and its easiest to see it when someone videos your swing.  Even when you can see it, its a tough one to "relearn" because your body wants to move.

d) certain drills really help, but one that i think is best is this:   pick a flag say 100 yards ie.   You have a club in your bag that is your 100 yd club.     grab it.   get warmed up and get to the point where you are consistently hitting that 100 yard mark.   Ok, now the fun starts.    Gradually decrease the amount of backswing down while at the same time trying to still get 100 yards out of the club.   Try to make the easiest swing you can possibly make and still compress the ball at impact enough to get 100 yards out of it.   keep doing this until you can make what seems like an effortless swing go 100 yards.   Now do with with all your clubs.  

the only way it will work, as you'll discover, is to keep a firm straight left arm, accelerate through impact with your body as you turn down and hold on to that lag in your left wrist to the very last moment.   The actual transition from backswing to downswing can be slow and smooth, as long as you keep accelerating  through the ball.   And thats another insight, the ball isn't the end of the swing.   You are swinging through the ball to your left side.   the other insight is keeping that hitting hand  in as wide an arc possible creates free speed so you don't have to swing as hard to hit full distance.
cool.  I'm a senior golfer playing at 6100 yards and have a 2 handi on a good golf course.  It is not easy to maintain.  I play 3 days a week in AZ but hit balls another 2 times for 40 minutes or so. The strong left arm is something that has helped me as I am really right hand dominant.  The left is the guiding force for the right to deliver, but not overpower.   I rarely hit anything longer than a 7 iron in practice as I mainly work on balance & a solid hit.  Most of my practice is with a wedge or 54 degree.  If you can't hit a wedge decent you won't hit a driver decent.  IMO.  There are many exceptions of course.

I carry  8 iron in the air 140 yards.

Driver maybe carry 220 yards.

it's all good.

happy fairways!

Shot my best ever score at 80.....Temp greens on front 9 with that fake giant hole.

I’ll take it.
We had a temp tee yesterday. Hole was playing 240 with a dogleg left. I said f it and hit a 3wood over the corner of the trees. No clue of the trajectory or landing. Drive up to the hole 13" from an Ace

We had a temp tee yesterday. Hole was playing 240 with a dogleg left. I said f it and hit a 3wood over the corner of the trees. No clue of the trajectory or landing. Drive up to the hole 13" from an Ace
It does make you feel like a pro. I had nothing that good but the hit one drive that hit the backside of a hill that was still frozen and went about 350 by the time it settled.

Such a great time when playing well. 

cool.  I'm a senior golfer playing at 6100 yards and have a 2 handi on a good golf course.  It is not easy to maintain.  I play 3 days a week in AZ but hit balls another 2 times for 40 minutes or so. The strong left arm is something that has helped me as I am really right hand dominant.  The left is the guiding force for the right to deliver, but not overpower.   I rarely hit anything longer than a 7 iron in practice as I mainly work on balance & a solid hit.  Most of my practice is with a wedge or 54 degree.  If you can't hit a wedge decent you won't hit a driver decent.  IMO.  There are many exceptions of course.

I carry  8 iron in the air 140 yards.

Driver maybe carry 220 yards.

it's all good.

happy fairways!
Where at? I play in AZ as well. 

(I'll take a pm if you don't want to openly share)

Where at? I play in AZ as well. 

(I'll take a pm if you don't want to openly share)
I'm in Gilbert.  Play at Trilogy at Power Ranch mostly.  Sometimes Dobson Ranch or Lonetree on Riggs.  Played We Ko Pa a week ago & it chewed me up pretty good.

I'm in Gilbert.  Play at Trilogy at Power Ranch mostly.  Sometimes Dobson Ranch or Lonetree on Riggs.  Played We Ko Pa a week ago & it chewed me up pretty good.
Nice! I'm in Gilbert often and I've played Trilogy a bunch as well as We Ko Pa (great two tracks). I predominantly play Mesa Country Club when I'm down there (my BIL is a member) but there's no shortage of good golf in the area. You should check out Dinosaur Mountain (Gold Canyon) and definitely play it if you haven't - it's my favorite track in that area.

Nice! I'm in Gilbert often and I've played Trilogy a bunch as well as We Ko Pa (great two tracks). I predominantly play Mesa Country Club when I'm down there (my BIL is a member) but there's no shortage of good golf in the area. You should check out Dinosaur Mountain (Gold Canyon) and definitely play it if you haven't - it's my favorite track in that area.
Played Gold Canyon last year 4 days in a row.  Stayed & played.  We were worried about driving & drinking so we solved that.  Great course & tremendous upkeep.  Love the cross cut fairways.

• Smile
I’ve been really working on my iron striking lately and was having issues that I couldn’t figure out. I thought it was a swing or stance related and kept watching videos on how to get it all to come together but was still having lots of control and flight issues. So back to YouTube and swing planes and all kinds of crap, got up to take a whiz and when I came back the next video was playing, one I would have never even selected because it was so basic...the club direction at impact. Omg, at some point I’d dropped my hands at set up and the butt of the club was pointing almost into my junk and not my belly button/slightly forward of that. Went to the range today and not only am I back to hitting nice high baby draws but I’m almost 15-20 yards longer per club. I got so caught up in arm position at take away, where my weight shifted and and how my body rotated that I completely let my hands at set up drop and put my body in a funky position. I’m sure a lesson would have caught it and I’m mad I didn’t go get one when I’d lost my swing for the past two months. Golf is good again and now I can work on going sub 15 instead of tracking back up to a 16 :wall:  

Just booked 20 guy golf trip to Bandon Dunes in September.  Few of us have been but most have not. Playing Bandon Dunes, then Old MacDonald, the Preserve, Pacific Dunes and ending with Sheep Ranch.  Should be a blast!!

Just booked 20 guy golf trip to Bandon Dunes in September.  Few of us have been but most have not. Playing Bandon Dunes, then Old MacDonald, the Preserve, Pacific Dunes and ending with Sheep Ranch.  Should be a blast!!
I got invited to go at the end of this month but can't go due to work obligations. My golf text group thread is a total bummer because all my buddies are preparing for it. Looks so awesome. 

Played one of the longer courses in the area today. 91 and left multiple strokes out there.

Time to get new clubs, going to do the fitting. 

I can do this, with clubs for under 2K, right? Need new everything. 

Played one of the longer courses in the area today. 91 and left multiple strokes out there.

Time to get new clubs, going to do the fitting. 

I can do this, with clubs for under 2K, right? Need new everything. 
Depends on what you get but it's very doable especially if you are getting improvement irons.  I got my last set of callaway forged as leftovers so instead of 1200 they were 700.  I did just drop 1400 on a custom set of irons that are pretty nice so it might be tight but you definitely could get irons driver 3wood for under 2k.  Especially if you buy last year's driver model

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what you get but it's very doable especially if you are getting improvement irons.  I got my last set as leftovers so instead of 1200 they were 700.  I did just drop 1400 on a custom set of irons that are pretty nice so it might be tight but you definitely could get irons driver 3wood for under 2k.  Especially if you buy last year's driver model
Cool. This is seems reasonable.

My area has a quite a few options for this service. How do you guys pick?

@The General I was asking what you meant...lol

How do I pick my irons?  Or how did I choose my fitter?
:lol:  I took that as pick some irons based on price versus going to one of theses specialty places that does the whole deal, tells me what clubs to get etc.

I'm seeing fitting offered at places like **** Sports and my local golf shop and then seeing places that specialize in it like Club Champion, Golf Galaxy, and Golf Tech.

I pretty much want to walk in and let them know that I don't really want to go over 2k but def want to get swing speed, spin rate, etc analyzed.

:lol:  I took that as pick some irons based on price versus going to one of theses specialty places that does the whole deal, tells me what clubs to get etc.

I'm seeing fitting offered at places like **** Sports and my local golf shop and then seeing places that specialize in it like Club Champion, Golf Galaxy, and Golf Tech.

I pretty much want to walk in and let them know that I don't really want to go over 2k but def want to get swing speed, spin rate, etc analyzed.
Well for me I used to be a club nerd. I'm single digit hcp so your experience may vary.  I have always played forged clubs, so going in I knew I'm buying forged. For drivers I had ideas and would hit them.  Golf galaxy here has a good fitter and they will work with you (ymmv) but they will definitely keep you at a budget at least in my experience.

My recent purchase I did the club champion route and went in with a blank slate and let the guy fit me with a couple options

Well for me I used to be a club nerd. I'm single digit hcp so your experience may vary.  I have always played forged clubs, so going in I knew I'm buying forged. For drivers I had ideas and would hit them.  Golf galaxy here has a good fitter and they will work with you (ymmv) but they will definitely keep you at a budget at least in my experience.

My recent purchase I did the club champion route and went in with a blank slate and let the guy fit me with a couple options
Cool. Thanks. I would like to go in and let them do their thing and just off reviews Club Champion seems a bit preferred in my area (but also a bit more spendy). I will check with them before going in if what I want to spend is reasonable.

Cool. This is seems reasonable.

My area has a quite a few options for this service. How do you guys pick?
I chose a fitter that had he ability to fit a customer into any brand and didn’t have any brand loyalty or incentive. Of course I have to pay for that neutrality and availability of all options. So, zero chance there of keeping it under $2k in total for everything. 

What’d you buy? 

Also Minnesota has some of the indoor simulated courses. 
Seemore si2 with offset shaft. I had it cut to 34" and added a medium sized Lamkin grip. Just dinging around with it in my basement, I already feel more comfortable with it. I like the simple idea of "swing the club so the shaft covers the red spot". 

It replaced the ancient Nike OZ T-130 that I didn't hit very well.

I've used the indoor ranges a bit. They're good, but kind of spendy for what they are. 

• Smile
I chose a fitter that had he ability to fit a customer into any brand and didn’t have any brand loyalty or incentive. Of course I have to pay for that neutrality and availability of all options. So, zero chance there of keeping it under $2k in total for everything. 
Again I did too. You can find cheaper options and custom fitters. 

• Smile
We have 12 guys who take a once a year travel golf trip.  Last year we went to Bandon and it was such a great golf get away.   Courses were beautiful.

This year the guy who runs it picked Streamsong Resort in Florida.  To be honest I had never heard of it before.   Anyone played there?

We have 12 guys who take a once a year travel golf trip.  Last year we went to Bandon and it was such a great golf get away.   Courses were beautiful.

This year the guy who runs it picked Streamsong Resort in Florida.  To be honest I had never heard of it before.   Anyone played there?
Never heard of it.  Looks sensational

Yep.   Incredible courses.  You'll love it.  When I played there all three courses were rated top 10 in Florida.  Very very comparable to Bandon in terms of quality IMO.

Can’t wait to play sheep ranch.  Was supposed to be there last summer but the border was closed.  

that trip sounds fantastic. 

zoonation said:
Can’t wait to play sheep ranch.  Was supposed to be there last summer but the border was closed.  

that trip sounds fantastic. 
I’ve been getting non-stop texts with pictures. My primary golf group/buddies are playing six bandon courses right now. 

Users who are viewing this thread