What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2018 San Francisco 49ers thread *** (1 Viewer)

https://twitter.com/BetterRivals/status/973914256658849792

Jerick McKinnon is an elite athlete that’s an ideal fit for Shanahan’s scheme. His pSPARQ score of 147.5 is right up there with Saquon Barkley (148.4). His PFF receiving grade (82.4) is t-7th in the NFL. His pass blocking grade puts him 8th in the NFL. This is gonna be fun.
Pass catching was Hyde's biggest weakness.  McKinnon being in a scheme that fits his skill-set will be fun to watch. McKinnon, Breida, and Williams (if he gets it together) will make for an explosive group.  Add in Juice and I am excited to watch what Shanahan does with these guys.

Still need another starting caliber CB IMO.  Don't want to rely on draft only to hedge against Sherman.

ETA:

https://twitter.com/SageRosenfels18/status/973978535093329920

Shanahan will use Jet McKinnon everywhere. He will be half RB and half WR. He will be worth the price tag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Foster:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/3/11/17106916/reuben-foster-future-49ers-rumors-suspension

Report: 49ers feeling confident about Reuben Foster future

The San Francisco 49ers entered the 2018 offseason coming off a strong close to the 2017 season that suggested they were closing in on contender status. It might be too soon to declare them Super Bowl contenders, but they would appear ready to climb into the mix for a playoff spot.

Jimmy Garoppolo was a primary reason for the optimism, but Reuben Foster’s emergence on defense had people excited. That quickly turned to concern as he was arrested for marijuana possession, and then later arrested on suspicion of domestic violence and a weapons possession charge.

The 49ers have been relatively quiet while figuring out Foster’s situation and determining how they want to proceed. But Tim Kawakami’s latest column suggests the team is confident in Foster’s future, and don’t think he will face a particularly severe punishment based on his actions.

The 49ers don’t know exactly how all this will resolve legally in the short term, and Foster could be facing an NFL suspension to start 2018 almost no matter what. But I’ve heard that the 49ers at this point don’t believe he did anything that will lead to severe punishment and that they fully intend to support him and keep him on the roster. That is, of course, if he can stay out of trouble from now on.

Today marks one month since Foster was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence, making criminal threats, and illegal weapons possession. Given that Foster remains on the roster, it is not entirely surprising that the team would feel this way. Additionally, more about the case will become known over the next ten days. The Santa Clara DA’s office has until Tuesday, March 13th to decide whether or not to file charges against Foster. Additionally, he has a March 21st court date in Alabama for his marijuana possession charge.

That March 13th date is a big one for figuring out next steps in this process. If the DA decides not to press charges, it does not mean Foster still won’t face NFL discipline. A lack of charges does not mean innocence, particularly in domestic violence cases, but it also could mean the 49ers feel comfortable with the fact that more aggravating evidence does not come available. Of course, if the DA does decide to press charges, it doesn’t guarantee anything with regard to a release, but does suggest there is some evidence that is worth noting for the 49ers.

It will make for an important next ten days.

Are you being serious? A quick search on Wikipedia shows the 2010 pro-bowl had VD, Willis, and Lee (a punter) as pro bowl starters with J. Smith and Gore as alternates... you call that a "talented" team?

Alex smith's highest QBR on pro-football-reference pre-harbaugh was 44.4. (he was consistently in the low 40s pre-harbaugh). Post-harbaugh he has consistently been mid-50s to mid-60s.
i think 5 pro bowlers is good?  How can you not agree with that?  I feel like you are arguing for the sake of arguing here.  Especially you are arguing a team with one pb is full of talent

And his grades have been consistent...generally pretty average.  

https://twitter.com/BetterRivals/status/973914256658849792

Pass catching was Hyde's biggest weakness.  McKinnon being in a scheme that fits his skill-set will be fun to watch. McKinnon, Breida, and Williams (if he gets it together) will make for an explosive group.  Add in Juice and I am excited to watch what Shanahan does with these guys.

Still need another starting caliber CB IMO.  Don't want to rely on draft only to hedge against Sherman.
Not sure I agree with this. With K Williams as nickel corner that would mean Witherspoon would be riding the bench a lot.... which is a mistake because I think the arrow's pointing up on him. I don't mind them spending or drafting a guy that can pull double duty at corner/nickel DB though.

Remember they also have Colbert as an emergency corner though it seems like he's a better fit at safety.

Speaking of Foster:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/3/11/17106916/reuben-foster-future-49ers-rumors-suspension

Report: 49ers feeling confident about Reuben Foster future

367 comments

The next 10 days feature two important court dates

By David Fucillo@davidfucillo Mar 11, 2018, 12:01pm PDT

The San Francisco 49ers entered the 2018 offseason coming off a strong close to the 2017 season that suggested they were closing in on contender status. It might be too soon to declare them Super Bowl contenders, but they would appear ready to climb into the mix for a playoff spot.

Jimmy Garoppolo was a primary reason for the optimism, but Reuben Foster’s emergence on defense had people excited. That quickly turned to concern as he was arrested for marijuana possession, and then later arrested on suspicion of domestic violence and a weapons possession charge.

The 49ers have been relatively quiet while figuring out Foster’s situation and determining how they want to proceed. But Tim Kawakami’s latest column suggests the team is confident in Foster’s future, and don’t think he will face a particularly severe punishment based on his actions.

The 49ers don’t know exactly how all this will resolve legally in the short term, and Foster could be facing an NFL suspension to start 2018 almost no matter what. But I’ve heard that the 49ers at this point don’t believe he did anything that will lead to severe punishment and that they fully intend to support him and keep him on the roster. That is, of course, if he can stay out of trouble from now on.

Today marks one month since Foster was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence, making criminal threats, and illegal weapons possession. Given that Foster remains on the roster, it is not entirely surprising that the team would feel this way. Additionally, more about the case will become known over the next ten days. The Santa Clara DA’s office has until Tuesday, March 13th to decide whether or not to file charges against Foster. Additionally, he has a March 21st court date in Alabama for his marijuana possession charge.

That March 13th date is a big one for figuring out next steps in this process. If the DA decides not to press charges, it does not mean Foster still won’t face NFL discipline. A lack of charges does not mean innocence, particularly in domestic violence cases, but it also could mean the 49ers feel comfortable with the fact that more aggravating evidence does not come available. Of course, if the DA does decide to press charges, it doesn’t guarantee anything with regard to a release, but does suggest there is some evidence that is worth noting for the 49ers.

It's so disappointing as a fan.  I think he was the second coming of willis. I hope it works out for him but from what i read i don't think it will go particularly well at this point.  

i think 5 pro bowlers is good?  How can you not agree with that?  I feel like you are arguing for the sake of arguing here.  Especially you are arguing a team with one pb is full of talent

And his grades have been consistent...generally pretty average.  
I think the other guys are right... your definition of talent is simply different than mine. 

Talent to me means inherent ability. Metrics are indications of performance. While talent can influence performance, it simply doesn't work the other way around. Metrics have no bearing on a player's talent... they can only tell you if a player is performing or not.

Not sure I agree with this. With K Williams as nickel corner that would mean Witherspoon would be riding the bench a lot.... which is a mistake because I think the arrow's pointing up on him. I don't mind them spending or drafting a guy that can pull double duty at corner/nickel DB though.

Remember they also have Colbert as an emergency corner though it seems like he's a better fit at safety.
I don't want to Witherspoon to sit.  He's the future.  And by starting caliber I mean someone who can fill-in if need be but with experience.  If Sherman doesn't make it back to start the year (which is a real possibility) it would be nice to have a vet to compete against whatever rookie(s) they draft.  We have no depth for outside CB at the moment.  I think Colbert stays at safety and would like to see him focus full time on that spot.  Ward would probably better be suited at Nickel IMO if we wanted to get both him and Colbert on the field at the same time which I hope they do.

I think the other guys are right... your definition of talent is simply different than mine. 

Talent to me means inherent ability. Metrics are indications of performance. While talent can influence performance, it simply doesn't work the other way around. Metrics have no bearing on a player's talent... they can only tell you if a player is performing or not.
Well honestly i agree with you on the definition of talent but i would argue it's the nfl.  Every single person in this league is very talented.  That's why they are there.  They are athletic specimens with incredible skills.  How that talents translates to performance is what seperates these guys.  PFF grades performance not talent.

There were some that questioned the Thomas pick last year for example. Many argued he was taken too early.  Nobody would argue he didn't have talent.  His performance however last year was borderline atrocious (even the sf papers agree with that) and rightly so pff graded his performance as terrible

Read this yesterday RE Foster:

https://twitter.com/NinersNation/status/973707097488744449

Just got off the phone with the DA’s office. Turns out today is not the deadline and they have not made a decision yet with regard to Reuben Foster (did not provide the date they have to decide by)
Hoping he gets his #### together.  Would be a massive waste of talent and can't really stomach another Aldon experience.

Read this yesterday RE Foster:

https://twitter.com/NinersNation/status/973707097488744449

Hoping he gets his #### together.  Would be a massive waste of talent and can't really stomach another Aldon experience.
Seriously after losing Aldon, if we lose foster...c'mon.  It's so hard to score with draft picks and we honestly have/had 2 of the best potential lbs out there.  Guys that would have been all-pros for their careers.  That's draft pick gold.  And then these things happen

It's so disappointing as a fan.  I think he was the second coming of willis. I hope it works out for him but from what i read i don't think it will go particularly well at this point.  
One of the reasons I hated them releasing Bowman. Worst move of the new regime IMO. His leadership and mentoring was invaluable, especially with a guy like Foster. The season was pretty much a wash, they should have let Bowman play more and keep him on board to teach Foster how to be a professional and put the stupid stuff in the rear view. Bowman had some character issues himself in college (marijuana, disorderly conduct, etc) that caused his draft position to take a hit like Fosters did, but the had Patrick Willis to help him realize his talent, teach him work ethic, and how to be a pro. I think Bowman could have done the same with Foster, and you cant put a price on the leadership he provided

One of the reasons I hated them releasing Bowman. Worst move of the new regime IMO. His leadership and mentoring was invaluable, especially with a guy like Foster. The season was pretty much a wash, they should have let Bowman play more and keep him on board to teach Foster how to be a professional and put the stupid stuff in the rear view. Bowman had some character issues himself in college (marijuana, disorderly conduct, etc) that caused his draft position to take a hit like Fosters did, bu the had Patrick Willis to help him realize his talent, teach him work ethic, and how to be a pro. I think Bowman could have done the same with Foster, and he would still be that leader that we need on D.
Great point

It's one the reasons you really need strong veterans to be successful on any team.

Honey Badger, anyone?

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/3/14/17120658/cardinals-releasing-tyrann-mathieu-49ers-depth-chart

Report: Cardinals releasing Tyrann Mathieu

The defensive back would not take a pay cut, and so the two sides are parting ways.

The Arizona Cardinals are making a big move as the new league year approaches. The team is set to release defensive back Tyrann Mathieu after he refused to take a pay cut.

Mathieu signed a five year deal in August 2016 that was worth up to $62.5 million. He was due $10.75 million in 2018, which included a $5 million roster bonus due later today when the new league year begins. The two sides were working on a way to restructure the contract, but could not come to an agreement.

Mathieu played all 16 games last season, marking the first time he has done so in his NFL career. He tore his left ACL and LCL in 2013, and then tore his right ACL in 2015. He was an All Pro safety that year, and it netted him the big contract extension.

He is only 25 years old, and while the knee injuries have slowed him down, but he remains a versatile option in the secondary. The 49ers have some options in their secondary, but they need more depth. Mathieu is a guy who could provide some serious depth at what will likely be a fairly reasonable price.

K’Waun Williams is currently the team’s nickel, and they just added Richard Sherman as an outside cornerback. Mathieu could compete with Williams for nickel and dime work, and also compete with Jimmie Ward, Jaquiski Tartt, and Adrian Colbert (Eric Reid TBD) on the safety depth chart.

It remains to be seen if they want to go in that direction, but given how young Mathieu is, it wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world.

Honey Badger, anyone?

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/3/14/17120658/cardinals-releasing-tyrann-mathieu-49ers-depth-chart

Report: Cardinals releasing Tyrann Mathieu

The defensive back would not take a pay cut, and so the two sides are parting ways.

The Arizona Cardinals are making a big move as the new league year approaches. The team is set to release defensive back Tyrann Mathieu after he refused to take a pay cut.

Mathieu signed a five year deal in August 2016 that was worth up to $62.5 million. He was due $10.75 million in 2018, which included a $5 million roster bonus due later today when the new league year begins. The two sides were working on a way to restructure the contract, but could not come to an agreement.

Mathieu played all 16 games last season, marking the first time he has done so in his NFL career. He tore his left ACL and LCL in 2013, and then tore his right ACL in 2015. He was an All Pro safety that year, and it netted him the big contract extension.

He is only 25 years old, and while the knee injuries have slowed him down, but he remains a versatile option in the secondary. The 49ers have some options in their secondary, but they need more depth. Mathieu is a guy who could provide some serious depth at what will likely be a fairly reasonable price.

K’Waun Williams is currently the team’s nickel, and they just added Richard Sherman as an outside cornerback. Mathieu could compete with Williams for nickel and dime work, and also compete with Jimmie Ward, Jaquiski Tartt, and Adrian Colbert (Eric Reid TBD) on the safety depth chart.

It remains to be seen if they want to go in that direction, but given how young Mathieu is, it wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world.
I like him. and i think he'll play with a chip on his shoulder this season.  I wonder if someone will give him a 1 year prove it deal or if he is going to land a huge contract.  

Seriously after losing Aldon, if we lose foster...c'mon.  It's so hard to score with draft picks and we honestly have/had 2 of the best potential lbs out there.  Guys that would have been all-pros for their careers.  That's draft pick gold.  And then these things happen
That's why other teams passed on him though and some thought he may fall a lot further. 

McKinnon's contract by the numbers:

Guaranteed money: $14.3 million
Bonus: $2 million
2018 salary: $4.2 million
2019 salary: $3.7 million
2020 salary: $6.5 million
2021 salary: $6.9 million

He will receive a roster bonus of $5.5 million in 2018 and has a $6.9 million option bonus for 2021 league year to be exercised before the end of 2020 league year, all according to Wilson.

McKinnon is making some solid money with a chance to earn even bigger money if he proves effective in Kyle Shanahan’s offense. At the same time, if he struggles, the 49ers will have gambled big in 2018, but really not gambled much of anything beyond that.

As we’ve said before, Paraag strikes again. If we don’t see any improvement from McKinnon it will be wasted money, but given what Kyle Shanahan and Bobby Turner have done in the past with a host of running backs, it is hard not to be at least a little excited about this addition.

Sources:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/114536-details-running-back-jerick-mckinnons-4-year-deal-49ers/

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/3/14/17121440/jerick-mckinnon-contract-49ers-free-agents-2018

killface said:
Please tell me you see the talent there.  Gore, Davis, walker, crabtree, staley, Iupati, Bowman, willis etc...those guys were all pro-bowls and some even all-pros. That's an awesome core and even back then people saw it.  If you were in this thread in 2010 we all knew the coach stunk and the team was talented.  
Yup, that team had a lot of “blue chip” talent, more than the current squad certainly. But on the other hand, that team would have traded 3 of those blue chip defensive guys for a QB like we are all hoping Jimmy G is.  So-again assuming Jimmy is a pro bowl level QB-this team probably isn’t any further away from contending than the 2009-10 team was. 

As a Vikings fan, I have seen him play and he is average but not special. This is a crazy contract for a cop guy.
OK, but obviously Shanahan and  Bobby Turner have a different opinion of his skill set for their offense.  Doubt they share the opinion that he is "average".  Since multiple other teams were in on him as well, doubtful they viewed him as "average" either.

Guess we will see how the season plays out for him and who is right.....................

Sitton to the Dolphins  :wall:

There goes my last FA crush although I would still like to see Eifert on a one year deal.....................

efactor said:
Sitton to the Dolphins  :wall:

There goes my last FA crush although I would still like to see Eifert on a one year deal.....................
Sitton would have been a nice addition.

They also just traded Kilgore to the Dolphins for a 7th round swap.  I don't really get this move.  We don't need the cap space and he would have been nice depth and could have competed to play guard.  We have huge holes in the guard spots IMO.  Tomlinson, Magnuson and Garnett... ugh. Thought they would resign Fusco.  Maybe they are targeting someone in trade?  Pugh still available I think.

Sitton would have been a nice addition.

They also just traded Kilgore to the Dolphins for a 7th round swap.  I don't really get this move.  We don't need the cap space and he would have been nice depth and could have competed to play guard.  We have huge holes in the guard spots IMO.  Tomlinson, Magnuson and Garnett... ugh. Thought they would resign Fusco.  Maybe they are targeting someone in trade?  Pugh still available I think.
With Kilgore, I think it was more of not wanting to tie up a roster space that could be used for a younger player they could develop and who can play special teams.  He can't play guard (well anyway), so no use to keep him around after signing Richburg.  Depth I guess, but they can sign or draft someone who fits their zone blocking scheme better and not lose much.

I think they will definitely draft a guard within the first 3 rounds (maybe even move up for Newton if the cost isn't off the hook).  I also see this as a sign that Garnett is in play after sitting out last year.  Of course, signing a FA is a possibility too. 

Stay tuned................

Eifert resigns with Bengals for 1 year.   Double :wall:

With no cap issues for this year, I would have loved for them to take a shot here............

No sweat...Jimmy will turn Kittle into the next Eifert.  :football:
That is certainly a possibility and without the injury issue, would be awesome.

The thought of Eifert and Kittle both on the field in the red zone was pretty appealing..................

Raiders releasing Crabtree. In before the "Lets bring him back" posts.

Id love him to go to Seattle where Sherman can see him twice a year

Raiders releasing Crabtree. In before the "Lets bring him back" posts.

Id love him to go to Seattle where Sherman can see him twice a year
That would be high comedy although I think he would also be a good fit there.

Don't seem him coming back to SF.  Kind of the same receiver as Garcon.

Aaron Lynch signs with the Bears

If he gets his head out of his ### and gets in shape, he could be a good pick up for them.  Maybe a change of scenery will help.

49ers sign the great Jerry Attaochu to compete at the edge 

Never heard of him, but looks like a guy with some potential.  Drafted in the 2nd round in 2014 and had a pretty good year in 2015 before injuries set him back.

Worth a shot on a cheap 1 year deal....................

This says why Lynch is so fascinating as a GM:

“I think our players know we genuinely care of them,” Lynch said. “I think they really get that. That’s one of our strengths, as far as the vibe we have going here. Yes, actions have to reflect that. I will tell you, we left this in a really good place with Danny. We’ve had really good conversations with him all the way through it.”

The more I think about it... the more I think Shanahan is still going to want a RB early in the draft. Likely with one of the cluster of picks we have at the end of 2, early 3. Most media outlets have come to the foregone conclusion that because of the money McKinnon is getting, he's going to be the "featured runner"... I think he's going to be utilized as a mismatch piece, similar to Dion Lewis. One thing is evident, this niners regime is not averse to committing resources to tweener type players. A year ago this time they were criticized for overpaying for Juice... only time will tell if this strategy eventually pays off. 

Anyhow, I see McKinnon as a complementary piece... the primary runner for the niners in 2018 isn't on the roster yet.

That's true but that also means you can't assume he'll be good either.  He's a huge question mark being paid as a top 10 rb.  He just became a rb after all.  He grades out poorly on pff and again, the consensus in most of the threads I'm reading is that he isn't good and it was a questionable signing. I've seen numerous f grades on that one.

If you want to sit back and say that's all junk and he's going to be a star on the 49ers...that's fair but there is certainly no proof in anything he's shown so far.  
So your metrics boys PFF says we're one of the winners in free agency thus far... hope that helps you sleep easier.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-are-Early-Winners-in-Free-Agency-According-to-Pro-Football-Focus/e8489516-2631-4530-bb46-8e54f6d37f99

Jags release Allen Hurns. Hmmmmmm

Would defintely help out in the red zone. Still want them to draft a WR by early round 3 but like Hurns on a 1or 2 year deal with a cheap out after the first year. 

Possible depth signing.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/114711-former-eagles-defensive-back-jaylen-watkins-visit-49ers/

Former Philadelphia Eagles defensive back Jaylen Watkins will visit with the San Francisco 49ers on Wednesday, according to Mike Garafolo of NFL Network.

The Eagles made Watkins a fourth-round draft pick out of Florida in 2014. In four seasons with Philadelphia, he registered 56 combined tackles with eight passes defensed. Over the past two seasons, Watkins appeared in 28 games with five starts and recorded 49 combined tackles with three passes defensed.

In 2017, Watkins saw 168 snaps on special teams compared to 165 on defense. He can play either cornerback or safety.

Watkins is the older half-brother of former Los Angeles Rams and current Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Sammy Watkins. The two were briefly teammates in 2015 when Jaylen was signed to the Buffalo Bills' practice squad while Sammy was with the team. Jaylen was re-signed by the Eagles off of the Bills' practice squad in November of 2015.

Watkins played both cornerback and safety for Philadelphia, which makes him a versatile depth signing should the 49ers choose to add him to the roster. 

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/20/should-the-49ers-make-a-play-for-receiver-allen-hurns/

So will the 49ers be interested in Hurns?

They might think about the future of the receiving corps beyond 2018, when top receiver Pierre Garçon will be 32. Garçon has no guaranteed money on his contract left after the coming season, which could create a void atop the depth chart. Marquise Goodwin, who was recently given a three-year contract extension, has a long injury history that includes a series of concussions.

Hurns dealt with foot/ankle injuries and three concussions during his four seasons. He missed six games with an ankle sprain to end last season. Those concerns will certainly be factored by any team considering offering him a deal.

San Francisco signing Hurns appears unlikely. The team seems content with four free agents already signed. The 49ers look like they will save remaining cap space to lock up some of their younger players on second contracts this offseason and the next.

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/20/should-the-49ers-make-a-play-for-receiver-allen-hurns/

So will the 49ers be interested in Hurns?

They might think about the future of the receiving corps beyond 2018, when top receiver Pierre Garçon will be 32. Garçon has no guaranteed money on his contract left after the coming season, which could create a void atop the depth chart. Marquise Goodwin, who was recently given a three-year contract extension, has a long injury history that includes a series of concussions.

Hurns dealt with foot/ankle injuries and three concussions during his four seasons. He missed six games with an ankle sprain to end last season. Those concerns will certainly be factored by any team considering offering him a deal.

San Francisco signing Hurns appears unlikely. The team seems content with four free agents already signed. The 49ers look like they will save remaining cap space to lock up some of their younger players on second contracts this offseason and the next.
I would like to see them pick up another veteran WR before the draft.  Paper thin depth right now and if Goodwin or Garcon get hurt, they are going into using unproven players.  I expect them to draft a WR day 2, but rookie WRs are a wild card.

Decker visiting the Raiders today.  Maybe Lynch should have him stop by for a chat while he is in the neighborhood.  I know he wasn't good last year, but none of the Tennessee WRs were, which makes me think it may have been a scheme and QB issue.

I think between upcoming rookie contracts and guys already on the roster we need to lock up, the spending is pretty much over for now.

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/20/6-players-the-49ers-might-be-saving-cap-space-for/

The 49ers are unlikely to make more significant additions in free agency after adding four new players last week. They’ll enter 2018 with over $45 million in salary cap space, according to the NFLPA’s public report, while Overthecap.com estimates some $55 million in room for 2019.

That’s significant because the team has young players coming up on second contracts that could be signed this offseason or the next accounting for a bulk of that remaining cap space. Getting deals done with players before they hit free agency is often less expensive, but some players might decide it’s a risk worth taking given the chance to cash in on the open market. Players are eligible to negotiate extensions with their teams after three seasons.

So with the 49ers conserving their room for the future, let’s look at some of those players that could take a bite out of that cap space this offseason or the next:

DeForest Buckner, DL (entering Year 3)

Buckner is one of the NFL’s premier three technique defensive tackles. The durable seventh-overall pick in 2016 played 87 and 76 percent of the snaps the last two seasons while being one of the league’s best interior pass rushers.

He turned 24 over the weekend and should continue to get better as he grows into his body and spends more time in the weight room. Buckner will be eligible to talk extension after 2018 and could become the team’s highest-paid defensive player.

He could make in the neighborhood of $13 to $16 million per season, in line with the recent deals given to Gerald McCoy (seven years, $95.2 million), Kawann Short (five years, $80.5 million) and Malik Jackson (six years, $85.5 million). 

Trent Brown, T (entering Year 4)

The 49ers want Brown to improve his consistency because he’s one of the league’s best pass protectors when he’s fully locked in. His contract is up after the following season which could mean a deal happens before Week 1 in September.

However, Brown recently had surgery on his right shoulder that could cause him to miss the bulk of the offseason program. San Francisco will likely want to see what kind of shape’s in when he returns before engaging in contract talks. Weight and conditioning have been issues for Brown dating back to college. They also contributed to Brown getting drafted in Round 7 despite his obvious talent. How he rehabs will be important.

A new deal for Brown, 24, could be massive. He’s the favorite to take over at left tackle for 33-year-old Joe Staley whenever he decides to step away, making it likely Brown would advocate for left tackle money, putting him in the conversation for $13 to $15 million per season. The Giants just gave Nate Solder a four-year, $62 million contract. Russell Okung signed for four years and $53 million with the Chargers. Trent Williams received five years and $66 million from Washington.

Jaquiski Tartt, S (entering Year 4)

Tartt took a big step in his development last season under first-year coordinator Robert Saleh. He has a rare combination of size (6-1, 221) and range, proving fast enough to play free safety where players are often 15 pounds lighter. Tartt also did well at his natural spot as a strong safety near the line of scrimmage.

The coaching staff made it clear how they valued Tartt last season when he stuck as a starter when Eric Reid, also a good player, returned from an early season knee injury. Tartt went on to log 54 tackles, an interception and three pass break ups in nine games nine games before suffering a season-ending forearm fracture in early November.

Tartt potentially could command $7 to $10 million per season, in the vein of Devin McCourty’s five-year, $47.5-million deal with the Patriots or Malcolm Jenkins’ four-year, $35 million deal with the Eagles.

Eli Harold, DE/OLB

Harold, who turned 24 in January, ascended to the top “Sam” linebacker spot last season while the team went through a roster-wide youth movement. Veteran Ahmad Brooks was released in training camp, allowing Harold the most playing of his three-year career.

Harold saw 40 percent of the defensive snaps last season while appearing in all 16 games for the third straight year. He was used primarily in base packages, where he had the thankless job of setting the edge in the running game and funneling ball carriers back to the middle of the field. He tied DeForest Buckner and Reuben Foster with five tackles for loss, adding a pair of sacks and four quarterback hits. The 49ers ranked sixth in the NFL allowing 3.8 yards per carry.

John Lynch said at the combine the team may try to use Harold more at “Leo” defensive end next season to try improving on the team’s 30 sacks from last season, the fifth fewest in the league. If the plan works, Harold could be line for a lucrative second contract. If not, the 49ers might consider finding a replacement if they don’t agree to a new deal in the meantime. 

Jimmie Ward, DB

Ward is an interesting case (as we dove into this week, here). His $8.5-million salary for 2018 became fully guaranteed at the start of the new league year on his fifth-year option. That means he’s entering a contract year – but the 49ers might try to shrink his cap number and create more flexibility through a multi-year agreement beforehand.

But that decision could be dependent on the draft, where the 49ers could conceivably land Alabama defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick or Florida State safety Derwin James at the No. 9-overall pick, which could lead to displacing Ward as the starting free safety and pushing him back to slot cornerback.

Lynch last week praised Ward for his versatility, which might indicate the team isn’t set on his position for next season. And without that, it’s hard to predict exactly which direction the 49ers will go with Ward in the future. If the team doesn’t add another defensive back, and Ward stays healthy in 2018, he could get a contract that pays $6 to $8 million annually if the team wants him around.

Arik Armstead, DL

Like Ward, the 49ers have a decision to make regarding a former first-round pick. The team has until early May to decide to pick up Armstead’s fifth-year option, which would pay him in the neighborhood $9 million fully guaranteed in 2019.

Also like Ward, Armstead has struggled to stay on the field and finished the past two seasons on injured reserve. He suffered shoulder and hand injuries that both required surgery, causing him to miss 17 of his last 32 games.

Armstead was drafted to play defensive tackle in a 3-4 when Eric Mangini was defensive coordinator under Jim Tomsula in 2015. Armstead was asked to move outside to defensive end in the team’s new-look 4-3 last season mostly in base packages while shifting inside on passing downs. He dropped 15 pounds and logged 1.5 sacks before fracturing his hand Week 6 in Washington.

Armstead has promise as a versatile pass rusher, but durability has been an obvious concern and the team used a first-round pick on a similar player last spring in Solomon Thomas. The team could exercise Armstead’s fifth-year option in case he has a breakout season in 2018 to keep him around before hitting the free agent market. If Armstead has another 1.5-sack campaign, however, he could be released before his salary became fully guaranteed at the start of the next league year.

I think between upcoming rookie contracts and guys already on the roster we need to lock up, the spending is pretty much over for now.

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/20/6-players-the-49ers-might-be-saving-cap-space-for/

The 49ers are unlikely to make more significant additions in free agency after adding four new players last week. They’ll enter 2018 with over $45 million in salary cap space, according to the NFLPA’s public report, while Overthecap.com estimates some $55 million in room for 2019.

That’s significant because the team has young players coming up on second contracts that could be signed this offseason or the next accounting for a bulk of that remaining cap space. Getting deals done with players before they hit free agency is often less expensive, but some players might decide it’s a risk worth taking given the chance to cash in on the open market. Players are eligible to negotiate extensions with their teams after three seasons.
Agree, they are pretty much done.  Wish we had a little more CB and Guard depth.  From that list Buckner and Tartt should be locks.  If Brown shows up in shape and starts the year off well he will probably get paid, but I don't think he moves to left tackle or gets paid like one.  They should move Ward to nickel CB and let Colbert start a FS.  Some interesting analysis on each here:  

https://www.fourthandnine.co/single-post/2018/03/19/Film-Room-The-truth-about-49ers-position-less-defender-Jimmie-Ward

https://www.fourthandnine.co/single-post/2018/03/20/Film-Room-Underdog-Adrian-Colbert-a-playmaker-at-FS-for-49ers

Can't believe I would ever say this, but I enjoyed the Sherman press conference.  At worst he will be a solid presence on a young defense that needs some leadership.  Should help our secondary in a big way with his knowledge of that scheme.  If you haven't see this article it's an interesting read:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/richard-sherman-49ers-seahawks-free-agency

Lastly, here is some insight into how McKinnon could be a great fit.  If I was still playing FF he would be on my list of RB targets this year, especially in PPR.  He could have 70+ catches.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2764983-how-kyle-shanahan-will-make-49ers-rb-jerick-mckinnon-the-nfls-next-big-weapon

Users who are viewing this thread