What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2018 San Francisco 49ers thread *** (2 Viewers)

Our draft order is set.

Round 1 — pick No 9
Round 2 — pick No 59
Round 3 — pick No 70 and 74
Round 4 — pick No 128
Round 5 — pick No 143
Round 6 — pick No 184
Round 7 — pick No 227 and 240

Last edited by a moderator:
Lynch says 49ers open to trading 9th overall pick

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/John-Lynch-Says-49ers-are-Open-to-Trading-Ninth-overall-Pick/27f8931a-0f3f-4a74-91ec-0383f85454a1

The San Francisco 49ers have their first victory of the new year, winning Friday’s coin toss against the Oakland Raiders to claim the ninth-overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Here’s what you should take away from the flip. Many draft analysts are projecting as many as four quarterbacks to go in the top 10. Should that be the case, the 49ers would be assured a top five non-quarterback prospect. It also means that there’s a greater chance at a team looking to trade up in the draft if one of the top passers remains on the board at pick No. 9.

San Francisco moved back in the first round last year, trading the second-overall pick to the Chicago Bears before selecting Solomon Thomas with the third-overall pick. John Lynch said that the 49ers are open to trading back for a second-straight draft.

“We’re always open,” Lynch said in a sit down interview with 49ers Studios. “That’s the cool thing about the draft is that there are so many options. We don’t want to be picking high anymore. We don’t want to be picking high in the draft anymore. It’s fun during the draft, but it’s reflective of something that happened before.

“We don’t want to be in this position again, but while you are, you have to take advantage. A lot of people want what you have. We’re going to have a lot of people interested, but if there’s a guy we want and we feel strongly (about), we’ll stay right there.”

Bryan Broddaus of dallascowboys.com was kind enough to show me the Cowboys draft trade chart used by the team’s front office. According to Dallas’ valuations of draft picks, the ninth pick is worth 50 points more than the 10th pick. In 2017, 50 points was equivalent to a fourth-round pick. That means that the cost to acquire San Francisco’s ninth pick would cost an extra fourth-rounder than it would to trade for Oakland’s 10th selection.

But what about the other way around? If the 49ers absolutely fall in love with a prospect, is Lynch willing to put an offer together and trade up in the first round?

“We’re not afraid to do that as well,” Lynch said. “That’s a neat thing. That’s the way we’ve approached things is to not be closed-minded to any opportunity.”

If the 49ers were to make a deal, it likely wouldn’t be until draft day as teams will wait and see who is left on the board. That said, don’t be surprised to see San Francisco be movers and shakers for the second-straight year under Lynch.

Trade down much more likely I think.  Barkley and Bradley Chubb would be the only two I would see them trading up for and only if they slid past the 6th spot and the price wasn't too high.  That's probably not going to happen though.

Would love to get those two firsts from Buffalo if the Bills wants to move up and grab a QB.  The trade down possibilities would be fun from there.

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/02/report-49ers-among-teams-potentially-interested-in-dion-lewis/

Report: 49ers among teams potentially interested in Dion Lewis

The 49ers would be without their leader in offensive touches if pending free agent Carlos Hyde isn’t retained, leaving a big void at running back.

They figure to be aggressive in agency, with some $60 million in cap space, and with nine picks in April’s NFL draft. There will be plenty of options to survey when the new league year begins March 14.

San Francisco is a among a group of teams that could potentially be interested in Patriots free agent Dion Lewis, according to a report from Pro Football Talk.

Lewis is expected to get serious consideration from multiple teams, per a source with knowledge of the situation.

Potentially interested teams include the Jets, Texans, 49ers, Raiders, and Colts. As many as six or seven teams are expected to pursue Lewis.

Lewis, 27, has been one of the league’s premier running backs in the passing game in recent seasons. He caught 88 of 112 targets (79 percent) in his three campaigns with the Patriots after getting taken in the fifth round of the 2011 draft by the Eagles.

Last year, Lewis racked career highs in rushing attempts (180) and yards (896). He finished with nine total touchdowns and 1,110 yards from scrimmage. The 49ers have Matt Breida and Joe Williams under contract for 2018. Both are entering their second seasons.

Lewis, of course, is familiar with 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. The two spent two-plus seasons together with New England.

I just don’t see them signing Lewis, at least not at the 6 million a year it looks like he is looking for. 

Everyone is excited right now but still too many holes to plug to spend a big chuck of money on an older, often injured RB. I would rather see them spend their late 2nd or one of their early 3rd on someone like Michel (would probably need to move up) or Penny.  

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/114215-49ers-front-runners-cornerback-trumaine-johnson-per-report/

49ers frontrunners for Trumaine Johnson

Last week, Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst reported that the San Francisco 49ers would likely be the Oakland Raiders' primary competition for Los Angeles Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson once free agency begins on March 14.

On Monday, Pauline reported the 49ers to be the front-runners for Johnson.

"As previously posted last week, Trumaine Johnson is likely to end up with the San Francisco 49ers," writes Pauline, who has been reporting from the NFL Scouting Combine for the past week. "The Oakland Raiders want Johnson but do not have the cap space the Niners do. I'm also told the Dallas Cowboys want to sign Johnson but, like the Raiders, their cap space is limited compared to San Francisco."

The 49ers are slated to be among the top five NFL teams in terms of salary cap space, according to OverTheCap.com. Neither the Raiders nor the Cowboys are in the top 20 with Dallas being among the teams with the least amount of available money.

Spotrac.com lists Johnson's market value at an average annual salary of about $13.6 million. He made $16.4 million in 2017 after being franchise tagged for the second-straight year.

Cornerback is a position in need of an upgrade for the 49ers, who ended the 2017 season with rookie Ahkello Witherspoon and impending free agent Dontae Johnson as starters.

Trumaine Johnson, who played college football at Montana, was a third-round draft pick by the then-St. Louis Rams in 2012. In six seasons with the Rams, he registered 328 combined tackles, 67 passes defensed, 18 interceptions, three of which were returned for touchdowns, and two forced fumbles.

Johnson finished 2017 with 65 combined tackles, 14 passes defensed, and two interceptions in 16 games and 15 starts.

Johnson's time in Los Angeles came to an end when it was reported that the Rams had agreed to a trade for Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters.

Kind of torn on Johnson.  Obviously a huge upgrade over Donte Johnson, but I don’t think he is an elite corner and will end up being a big overpay.  Have that Sean Smith feeling about him.  

I know I’m in the minority, but I would rather see them trade a 5th rounder for Talib and then draft a couple corners with their 2nd or two 3rd rounders. Talib still a top corner and has two years left pretty cheaply (11 and 8 million per year) with nothing owed if they want to cut him after a year. Give them time to develop somebody to play opposite Witherspoon. 

My free agency wish list:

-Josh Sitton:  Got to protect Jimmy. Still a top 5 guard and a scheme fit.  A bargain at around 8 million a year.  

-Donte Moncrief:  While it would be fun to have Allen Robinson, I don’t want to see SF burn through a ton of money on him. If the market plays out like it did for Alston Jeffrey last year and he decided to go for a 1 year, prove it deal, I am all in. If not, make a play for Moncrief. Good red zone target and I think he would make a good compliment to the Garçon, Goodwin, Taylor group at a good price. 

-Jerrick McKinnon:  Excellent receiver that Shanahan is looking for.  Solid runner. Would be a nice combo with Brieda and possibly Joe Williams. 

-CB:  Assuming my first choice of trading for or signing Talib if he is cut doesn’t happen,  they need a veteran corner.  Fuller or Butler.  Just not a fan of Trumaine Johnson. 

-TE:  Tyler Eifert on a 1-2 year cheap deal would be great. Give Jimmy a true red zone target.  Him and Kittle on the field together would be fun too

I like Trumaine a little more than Fuller or Butler. They all have their pros and cons, none are really elite. 

Fuller led all CBs last year with 17 pass breakups but he also led all CBs last year with 21 missed tackles.

Johnson was ranked as the #1 CB on press-man coverage, but struggles sometimes in zone.

Butler doesn't impress me much.

Johnson is the tallest of the 3, and would be coming from a divison rival, which is always welcome...lol...it doesn't seem like SF has any interest in Talib, so if it comes down to the 3 listed above, Id be fine with Johnson and finding depth in the draft.

I havent heard much buzz regarding what theyre thinking about upgrading the O-Line. I know theres a few good ones hitting the market, but its strange we havent heard much considering how valuable of an asset Jimmy G is and the need to protect him.

My free agency wish list:

-Josh Sitton:  Got to protect Jimmy. Still a top 5 guard and a scheme fit.  A bargain at around 8 million a year.  

-Donte Moncrief:  While it would be fun to have Allen Robinson, I don’t want to see SF burn through a ton of money on him. If the market plays out like it did for Alston Jeffrey last year and he decided to go for a 1 year, prove it deal, I am all in. If not, make a play for Moncrief. Good red zone target and I think he would make a good compliment to the Garçon, Goodwin, Taylor group at a good price. 

-Jerrick McKinnon:  Excellent receiver that Shanahan is looking for.  Solid runner. Would be a nice combo with Brieda and possibly Joe Williams. 

-CB:  Assuming my first choice of trading for or signing Talib if he is cut doesn’t happen,  they need a veteran corner.  Fuller or Butler.  Just not a fan of Trumaine Johnson. 

-TE:  Tyler Eifert on a 1-2 year cheap deal would be great. Give Jimmy a true red zone target.  Him and Kittle on the field together would be fun too
I agree with most of this. Don't see them spending a ton on Robinson or any WR for that matter as it's not really a priority position of need for them over CB, interior O-line and pass rusher.  With 2 of those 3 position groups having a few decent FA options I can see them looking into the "bargain bin" for WR. Agree Moncrief would be a nice addition as would McKinnon and Eifert on a cheap "prove it" deal.

I think CB will be their "splash signing" and will probably overpay a bit, but it's needed and I actually don't mind Johnson.  I like the Talib idea, but think they want to find a decent #1 option with a few more years while adding another rookie or two.  Witherspoon has potential to be a pretty good player as well.

I'm liking Harold Landry or Tremaine Edmunds with our 1st based on who most project to be available at 9.

I agree with most of this. Don't see them spending a ton on Robinson or any WR for that matter as it's not really a priority position of need for them over CB, interior O-line and pass rusher.  With 2 of those 3 position groups having a few decent FA options I can see them looking into the "bargain bin" for WR. Agree Moncrief would be a nice addition as would McKinnon and Eifert on a cheap "prove it" deal.

I think CB will be their "splash signing" and will probably overpay a bit, but it's needed and I actually don't mind Johnson.  I like the Talib idea, but think they want to find a decent #1 option with a few more years while adding another rookie or two.  Witherspoon has potential to be a pretty good player as well.

I'm liking Harold Landry or Tremaine Edmunds with our 1st based on who most project to be available at 9.
I'm in the Edmunds camp.  Seems like a huge upside guy with limited risk.  Even if Foster avoids a major suspension, they still need LB help.

Agree with CB being the splash signing.  Will be interesting to see who it ends up being.

I havent heard much buzz regarding what theyre thinking about upgrading the O-Line. I know theres a few good ones hitting the market, but its strange we havent heard much considering how valuable of an asset Jimmy G is and the need to protect him.
I think they are really looking at only one impact guard though free agency or the draft (if Nelson is still on the board at #9).  Probably resign Fusco or Tomlinson ( or both) and still have Garnett waiting in the wings. Would love to see Sitton added, but hear he is looking at going back to Green Bay.

Marquise Goodwin locked up for a few years at pretty reasonable $. I really liked how he looked when JimmyG took over. He's someone I'll be targeting next year, even if they sign another WR the contract shows they like him. 

Question for Niner fans...what do you think of Taylor...do you think he can turn into a slot guy that can put up some real numbers or will he be just another guy?  Will be interesting to see who San Fran brings in at the WR position and how does it will effect Taylor getting an opportunity...

Question for Niner fans...what do you think of Taylor...do you think he can turn into a slot guy that can put up some real numbers or will he be just another guy?  Will be interesting to see who San Fran brings in at the WR position and how does it will effect Taylor getting an opportunity...
Kid has a lot of ability and is tough, but he is really small, which limited his snaps in their offense.  Played less than 50 percent of the snaps, so going to be hard to be an 80 catch guy unless that snap number goes up this year. If they add a WR in free agency, the opportunity goes down.  Going to be a better real football player than a fantasy one.

Kid has a lot of ability and is tough, but he is really small, which limited his snaps in their offense.  Played less than 50 percent of the snaps, so going to be hard to be an 80 catch guy unless that snap number goes up this year. If they add a WR in free agency, the opportunity goes down.  Going to be a better real football player than a fantasy one.
Sounds like his upside is Danny Amendola...Amendola is a real good football player and can help you win games but he is not gonna put up good fantasy #'s...not built for it...sounds like Taylor maybe that type of player as well...

Sounds like his upside is Danny Amendola...Amendola is a real good football player and can help you win games but he is not gonna put up good fantasy #'s...not built for it...sounds like Taylor maybe that type of player as well...
Pretty good assessment. 

Kid has some serious moves getting off the line.  In the Houston game, I thought one of the DBs broke both knees trying to cover him.

Pretty good assessment. 

Kid has some serious moves getting off the line.  In the Houston game, I thought one of the DBs broke both knees trying to cover him.
Enjoy Jimmy G...I think you got a real special QB...the kid just has "it" both on and off the field ...I'm sure you guys saw it in those last 5 games...I wish the timing had worked out with Brady but it didn't...glad he went to a Coach like Shanny who will get the most out of him...I think Goff and Jimmy G are gonna have a lot big games against each other in the next 10 years...

I love the Goodwin deal too.

Talib is being traded to Rams, which makes their secondary pretty stout with Talib and Peters.

We really need to sign Trumaine Johnson and pass on Bulter, IMO.

I love the Goodwin deal too.

Talib is being traded to Rams, which makes their secondary pretty stout with Talib and Peters.

We really need to sign Trumaine Johnson and pass on Bulter, IMO.
I was really hoping they made the deal for Talib. Still really good and pretty cheap for the next two years. Could have plugged him in next to Witherspoon and had time to develop a draft pick. Really sucks that the Rams got him. 

Guess Johnson will be their big FA push. 

Enjoy Jimmy G...I think you got a real special QB...the kid just has "it" both on and off the field ...I'm sure you guys saw it in those last 5 games...I wish the timing had worked out with Brady but it didn't...glad he went to a Coach like Shanny who will get the most out of him...I think Goff and Jimmy G are gonna have a lot big games against each other in the next 10 years...
Definitely has the “it” factor.  His first TD pass against Seattle was a sign of things to come, even if it was a meaningless TD as far as the outcome. Maybe 5 QBs in the league make that play. 

I was really hoping they made the deal for Talib. Still really good and pretty cheap for the next two years. Could have plugged him in next to Witherspoon and had time to develop a draft pick. Really sucks that the Rams got him. 

Guess Johnson will be their big FA push. 
Same.

Johnson will be a nice upgrade but kind of bittersweet since the Rams will be replacing him with 2 much better options that will combined cost less than what we are probably going to have pay for him.

Why let Dumervil walk? This one has me scratching my head a bit...They gotta have a plan, right?

Why let Dumervil walk? This one has me scratching my head a bit...They gotta have a plan, right?
Have heard some talk that Landry is moving up their board, so with him and Marsh, they are going young on the edge. 

Surprising for sure...............

Got to think the Bills are going to move up after trading Tyrod.  Draft day trade a real possibility with the Bills.

65 pick for Tyrod is a huge win for the Bills.

Have heard some talk that Landry is moving up their board, so with him and Marsh, they are going young on the edge. 

Surprising for sure...............
Yeah I'e heard the same...but why not keep a vet at a decent cost to help mentor the young bucks...

I trust in Lynch and Shanny, but like the Bowman release I think this could be a mistake....hopefully not

Afreee not a fan of Sherman at all.

Hoping Minkah or Nelson falls to 9, but still think it’s an Edmonds-Landry pick.

The idea of Sherman on the Niners makes me throw up a little bit. 
Yeah, don't see the appeal here.  He got hurt in November, won't be ready to start the year so they will need to find another starter anyway.  Achilles injury on 30 year CB, no thanks. 

I am hoping they sign Trumaine Johnson, but just read that Maiocco doesn't think they will sign him.  Guessing Butler is in play?  CB is by far their biggest need.  Witherspoon looked good but only played half the year.  Need at least 2 solid starters IMO.  Like to see them move Ward to slot CB and let Colbert take over FS spot. 

Yeah, don't see the appeal here.  He got hurt in November, won't be ready to start the year so they will need to find another starter anyway.  Achilles injury on 30 year CB, no thanks. 

I am hoping they sign Trumaine Johnson, but just read that Maiocco doesn't think they will sign him.  Guessing Butler is in play?  CB is by far their biggest need.  Witherspoon looked good but only played half the year.  Need at least 2 solid starters IMO.  Like to see them move Ward to slot CB and let Colbert take over FS spot. 
:wall:

Man, I REALLY dont want Sherman, hes garbage, and I was really hoping theyd sign Trumaine over Butler.

Richard Sherman and 49ers discussing 3 year deal

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/10/report-richard-sherman-and-49ers-discussing-3-year-contract/

Former Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman told ESPN’s Josina Anderson he’s discussing a possible three-year contract to join the 49ers, she Tweeted Saturday.

The three-time All-Pro met with San Francisco’s brass Friday night and took a physical with the team Saturday, according to a report from the Sacramento Bee. Sherman next is expected to meet with the Lions and garner interest from a number of other teams. He was released by Seattle on Friday.

Sherman, who turns 30 later this month, played nine games last season before suffering a torn Achilles in November, ending his streak of 117 consecutive games played since he was a fifth-round draft pick in 2011. Sherman has more interceptions (32) than any defensive back drafted since joining Seattle.

The 49ers have some $50 million in cap space and are expected to be aggressive in finding a starter at cornerback opposite Ahkello Witherspoon after he impressed as a rookie in 2017.

:wall:

Man, I REALLY dont want Sherman, hes garbage, and I was really hoping theyd sign Trumaine over Butler.
Johnson is an average corner. Sherman is/was an elite one. The Rams thought so highly of Johnson, they brought in Peters and Talib, because they knew they needed to upgrade.

I get that 49er fans might have some hatred over Sherman as a person, but assuming he doesn't lose several steps post achilles surgery, he's the best DB available by a good margin.

Johnson is an average corner. Sherman is/was an elite one. The Rams thought so highly of Johnson, they brought in Peters and Talib, because they knew they needed to upgrade.

I get that 49er fans might have some hatred over Sherman as a person, but assuming he doesn't lose several steps post achilles surgery, he's the best DB available by a good margin.
Johnson was the #1 press-man corner in 2017. Hes not average (although he struggles in zone at times)...The Rams let him go because they didnt wanna carry his price tag (he was the highest paid corner last year) when they could upgrade for less money and save cap space.

We will see if Sherman can regain his elite status...I think hes on the downside of his career. Hes definitely an upgrade for SF short term, but I dont see him playing at an elite level anymore. 2 Achilles surgeries are cause for concern.

Its a moot point though, the deal is done.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/114345-49ers-former-seahawks-cornerback-richard-sherman-three-year-deal/

Hopefully he can come back from his injury and be servicable. He better keep his dirty mouth shut, this isnt his team. Legion of shut up and play or GTFO.

Wingnut said:
PainTrain said:
Imagine if Kaep completed that pass, and a week later, right before Kaep plays in the Super Bowl, Sherman does an interview on ESPN and says, "If he throws that pass one foot shorter, I tip it to Smith for the pick, and he's the goat"
Doenst work. Kaep commented on something he did or didnt do. In your scenario Sherman is making a hypothetical about someone else. For this to make sense Kaep would have had to say 'if Sherman reaches a foot lower for the pass and whiffed on the tip he would be the goat', which would be silly to say. Sherman making that play (and it was a great play) is a result of where the ball was thrown. If Kaep throws it into the stands, Sherm doesn't make the play. If he bounces it a foot in front of Sherm, he doesn't make the play. Kaep put it exactly where Sherm could tip it.

Wingnut said:
For the record as a 49er fan, its probably better that the Niners didn't win that game...with all the injuries they sustained in that game (Iupati, Bowman, Gore, etc), I don't think they could have beat Denver...and I think as a fan it would be tougher to lose a 2nd straight SB than to lose the NFCCG. I think Seattle has a better chance to win the big game than SF would have.

5Rings said:
And you wonder why your fan base is regarded as dbags.

Wingnut said:
^lol. Kaep still made it farther than all but 2 other QBs in the league this season, and only one other QB got farther than him last season. Talk all the stats you want, but the fact is he led his team to the SB last year and the NFCCG this year. No other QB did that. Next year he will have all his weapons at his disposal (barring injuries), so we shall see if he can get over the hump.

Til then, Im done responding to the haters. You might as well be talking to a wall from here on out.

GO BRONCOS!

Wingnut said:
With ITS its best to put him on ignore and hope he adds to Seattle's suicide numbers after tonight.

Wingnut said:
Oh cmon now...none of us have been a bigger tool than Sherman.

;)

Eta: except for ITS maybe.

5Rings said:
Sounds familiar Lhucks. Get called out for being a doosh then claim you were fishing. Yes, Sherman is the NFL's Lhucks :lol:

Wingnut said:
Sounds familiar Lhucks. Get called out for being a doosh then claim you were fishing. Yes, Sherman is the NFL's Lhucks :lol:
49ers fans always say Seahawks fans are this and that, you guys give packers fans a run for their money on whining.  This is just from one thread, imagine the tragedy 49ers fans have projected in other fans through the years.  You lost @False Start who I'm guessing is a 5Dongs alias, but what a diary of desperation.  This is just a few posts, there are thousands of these. This included Wingnut hoping ITS killed himself, wow.  Just wow.  

It's sports man, be cool.  :bye:

Users who are viewing this thread