What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 Chargers Thread **** (4 Viewers)

For a competent organization, Telesco's job would be on the line at this point. Any chance the Chargers fire him either during or immediately after this season?

Other than Rivers, Gates, Ingram, and Liuget, the entire roster is made up of players brought in by Telesco, and he gave all 4 of them new contracts/extensions. So he owns this thing now.

When he took over, he became GM of a team that was 46-37 in its previous 5 seasons but was exactly .500 over its previous 3 seasons. In 4.25 seasons since, the franchise is 25-42, including 9-27 over the most recent 3 seasons so far. So performance on the field has dropped from the middle of the league to the bottom of the league, on par with the Browns.

As I posted previously, his track record in free agency is mixed at best, and his track record on big contracts is bad.

Telesco has handled 5 drafts:

• 2013 - only WR Allen remains, and he has played in 44 of 70 games since he was drafted

Some will say GM shouldn't be penalized for injuries, but Allen slid to the 3rd round primarily because of health concerns

[*]2014 - only CB Verrett and DE/LB Attaochu remain

• Verrett will have played in just 25 of 64 games in his first 4 seasons, and the team is currently on the hook to pay him more than $8.5M next season

Again, some will say GM shouldn't be penalized for injuries, but inability to stay healthy was a known concern for Verrett entering the draft

[*]Attaochu has currently played in 34 of 52 games in his first 4 seasons and has not played this season; he seems likely to be a non-contributor this season and released after the season, if not sooner

[*]2015 - 4 players remain:

• RB Gordon - has to be viewed as a disappointment to date, especially given the draft capital expended on him; has not completed a season healthy and has career averages of 3.7 ypc and 58.3 ypg... bad OL is not a sufficient excuse
  • LB Perryman - good player, good draft pick; needs to stay healthier, as he has played only 26 of the first 36 games of his career, and he is still on IR
  • LB Emanuel - average player who has a bigger role on the Chargers than he would on most teams due to lack of alternatives; still a solid 5th round pick; PFF currently grades him as the #46 LB this season
  • DL Philon - poor player who wouldn't make many rosters, much less play meaningful snaps; PFF currently grades him as the #111 defensive interior player this season

[*]2016 - 5 players remain; the most surprising thing about this draft is that 3rd rounder Tuerk and 4th rounder Perry are already gone

• DE Bosa - great player, great pick
  • TE Henry - great player, great pick
  • LB Brown - solid but overrated player, but still a good pick in the 5th round;  PFF currently grades him as the #67 LB this season
  • P Kaser - could have signed an equivalent or better punter off the street
  • FB Watt - terrible player; literally PFF's lowest graded FB... and his grade this year is better than his grade last year

[*]2017 - jury is out, but so far one impact player - 5th rounder King

I'm counting 5 good to great draft picks (Allen, Perryman, Bosa, Henry, Brown), with the jury out on the 2017 draft. The 2015 and 2016 drafts showed an upward trend, and we don't really know yet if 2017 will continue it. There are two serious problems here:

1. The 2013 and 2014 drafts were terrible, which really set the franchise back in the wake of A.J. Smith's last 2-3 seasons of roster mismanagement.
  2. Of the 5 good to great draft picks I listed, 1 was in the first round, 2 in the second round, and 1 in the third round. Ignoring the 2017 draft, that means 25% success in the first round, 50% success in the second round, and 25% success in the third round. That is a poor track record with valuable draft picks, and it is particularly bad given Telesco traded up for a number of those picks that have not been successful.
What else has Telesco been involved in?

• The head coaches and coaching staffs under him have generally been poor, though it isn't clear how much influence he has had over that.
  • The Bosa contract situation was a fiasco, though it isn't clear if that was driven by Telesco or the Spanos clan.
  • He completely mismanaged the Eric Weddle situation, regardless of how much Weddle and his camp may have contributed to it.
Am I missing anything? All in all, seems like a dismal track record, though admittedly he has been saddled with working for the Spanos family, which is a handicap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Front office sucks. No question.

The coaching sucks. No question. These guys are not prepared to play. Seems like they don't know what play they're supposed to run half the time - offense or defense. They have no clue on how to take best advantage of their personnel.

Organization sucks.

How is Philon still on the team after his antics on Sunday?

So the Chargers released PK Novak before the 2015 season in favor of rookie Lambo. The rationale at the time was that Novak's leg wasn't strong enough, which was a negative for kickoffs in particular.

Then before this season the Chargers released Lambo in favor of rookie Koo.

Now the team has released Koo and signed Novak.

Brilliant series of personnel moves here...

So the Chargers released PK Novak before the 2015 season in favor of rookie Lambo. The rationale at the time was that Novak's leg wasn't strong enough, which was a negative for kickoffs in particular.

Then before this season the Chargers released Lambo in favor of rookie Koo.

Now the team has released Koo and signed Novak.

Brilliant series of personnel moves here...
:lmao:

Watch Tampa Bay sign Lambo.

They beat the Raiders. Wasn't expecting that.

I have to give tons of credit to Gordon, he's playing his butt off this year. Their offensive game planning still stinks though.

3 in a row!

What a great game by the defense. It didn't seem like they were particularly selling out to stop the run first, yet they held the Broncos down.

Zero turnovers - what a difference that makes.

Welcome back to .500 (thanks Browns). The Chargers control their own destiny in terms of winning the division and making the playoffs.  :football:

Had you told me this would be the case six weeks ago, I'd have thought you belonged in the looney bin.

Can they beat the Chiefs and the Raiders? They won't if they can't convert their red zone opportunities into TDs. They got off light because they were playing the Browns this week.

Most notable Charger yesterday was King - good and bad. But I like his prospects.

fred_1_15301 said:
Anybody know the status of Hunter Henry?  How bad did the leg injury look?
I definitely saw him walking around on the sidelines (with his helmet in hand) without problems after the injury, but I don't recall him being in the game much from that point forward. It looked not so great, I thought maybe knee dislocation or sprain when it initially happened, but no news on it so far, hopefully not that bad.

I'm the only Charger fan left on this board, aren't I?

I'll answer that question for myself tomorrow, or maybe next week.

Anyway, Rivers is playing his traditional late season best. And the defense is surging as well.

The Chargers really need to win this Chiefs game so they can break all my hearts when they lose to the Raiders to end the season, choke the division win and a shot at the playoffs all in one fell swoop. So Chargers.

Anyway, Rivers is playing his traditional late season best. And the defense is surging as well.
I'm still here until they mothball Rivers and Gates.  They may win me over longer term with the defensive play but I doubt it.  It's going to take an ownership change to get me back all the way.  

I'm still here until they mothball Rivers and Gates.  They may win me over longer term with the defensive play but I doubt it.  It's going to take an ownership change to get me back all the way.  
:hifive:

You'd just walk away from rookie of the year Desmond King?!?!

New city. Same team....if they stuck with lambo. They would be 9n4 or better.

Same here.

The Chargers have the best secondary in football, with the possible exception of Jacksonville. PFF grades:

• Out of 174 graded CBs:

Hayward is #1
  • Williams is #9
  • King is #10
  • Davis is #130, but has only played 35 snaps on the season
  • Verrett is #148, though he played just 63 snaps on the season and played all of them hurt

[*]Out of 138 graded safeties:

• Addae is #10
  • Boston is #31
  • Jenkins is #74
  • Phillips is #122

For JAX, Ramsey is #2 and Bouye is #4, but their 3rd CB Colvin is #66; S Gipson is #11, S Church is #16. It's very close.

I hope the Chargers can get out of Verrett's 5th year option and they let him go this offseason. Given the performance of Williams and King this season, combined with Verrett's inability to stay healthy, they need to spend that $8.5M somewhere else (possibly on extending Hayward).

I'm wondering what his value on the open market is. I can't think it'll be more than what he's due to make next year. Could be tough to dump him.
I assume he is untradable at $8.5M. However, the team can withdraw his 5th year option and make him a UFA... as long as he can pass his physical.

:mellow:  

Not looking a gift hot streak in the mouth, but how much weight do we give these seven victories?

Giants, Raiders, Broncos, Bills, Cowboys, Browns, Redskins

The combined record of those opponents is 32-60.

I think it would be so cool to see them make the playoffs after an 0-4 start and accomplish that twice before any other franchise has even done it once, but even if that does happen, I don't hold out much hope on this team making a lot of noise in the postseason.

Not looking a gift hot streak in the mouth, but how much weight do we give these seven victories?

Giants, Raiders, Broncos, Bills, Cowboys, Browns, Redskins

The combined record of those opponents is 32-60.

I think it would be so cool to see them make the playoffs after an 0-4 start and accomplish that twice before any other franchise has even done it once, but even if that does happen, I don't hold out much hope on this team making a lot of noise in the postseason.
Agreed on the wins not being terribly impressive, especially considering the Bills stupidly started Peterman against them and the Cowboys were without Elliott.

Still, they haven't had a streak like this in quite a while, regardless of opponent quality. And it's not just the wins, it's how good they have looked in many of those wins. Even the two losses during the streak were by 8 points at NE and by 3 points in OT at JAX. IMO they have shown that they are capable of beating any team in the NFL right now. It's just a matter of execution.

Consider their ranks at this point: #5 in yards and #15 in points on offense, #10 in yards and #2 (!) in points allowed on defense. The points on offense being out of kilter with the yards was affected by the ongoing PK saga, but it seems like Coons has stabilized that position for now, which helps. They just need to up their red zone performance on offense.

If they were to beat KC on the road, they should be favored in both remaining games. Suppose they win out, win the division, and host a first round playoff game. They would be on a 7 game winning streak, and confidence would be very high. I could see them winning that round. Winning at NE or PIT in the cold is another story, but just to have a chance at that is pretty awesome, especially considering the 0-4 start.

Gotta win today though.

Agreed on the wins not being terribly impressive, especially considering the Bills stupidly started Peterman against them and the Cowboys were without Elliott.

Still, they haven't had a streak like this in quite a while, regardless of opponent quality. And it's not just the wins, it's how good they have looked in many of those wins. Even the two losses during the streak were by 8 points at NE and by 3 points in OT at JAX. IMO they have shown that they are capable of beating any team in the NFL right now. It's just a matter of execution.

Consider their ranks at this point: #5 in yards and #15 in points on offense, #10 in yards and #2 (!) in points allowed on defense. The points on offense being out of kilter with the yards was affected by the ongoing PK saga, but it seems like Coons has stabilized that position for now, which helps. They just need to up their red zone performance on offense.

If they were to beat KC on the road, they should be favored in both remaining games. Suppose they win out, win the division, and host a first round playoff game. They would be on a 7 game winning streak, and confidence would be very high. I could see them winning that round. Winning at NE or PIT in the cold is another story, but just to have a chance at that is pretty awesome, especially considering the 0-4 start.

Gotta win today though.
I'm with you. I'm hopeful... but being a life-long Chargers fan also makes me cynical. For instance, I counter the two close losses to NE and Jax with narrow victories over a genuinely crappy Giants team and the below-average Raiders.

A Cowboys' fan came up to me today and noticed I had my Chargers polo on and told me that Dallas definitely would have won that game if Zeke had been playing. I just smiled at him because there's no point in arguing with a homer like that, but inside I was thinking "Does anybody honestly believe that any RB in the league is a difference maker to the tune of three TDs a game?" With or without Elliot, the Cowboys look fairly mediocre. The Bills game is of consequence though. That game got out of hand quickly with those five picks that Taylor likely wouldn't have thrown. Once again, even with Tyrod, that's a fairly mediocre squad.

The rankings in yardage and points is the same argument against their win total: level of competition.

I'm looking forward to the game tonight. It's been a few years since I've had much hope for this franchise, but things might be looking slightly optimistic. I'll still keep my guard up against that eventual, heart-wrenching letdown though.

Well, at least they didn't wait until week 17 to let us down.

So many injuries on Saturday.

this team is just so close.....sigh....then Phil just lets you down with a Sanchez like turnover fest...

Looking at schedules of the conteders. I think tennesee and the Bills have a good chance of losing both of their games. I think Baltimore wins both games easily. 

So  the bolts are not done yet. however I could totally see the raiders kicking them in the teeth, I'm guesing the crowd for that "home" game week17 will be 70% raiders fans....

too many injuries. 

I'm with you. I'm hopeful... but being a life-long Chargers fan also makes me cynical. For instance, I counter the two close losses to NE and Jax with narrow victories over a genuinely crappy Giants team and the below-average Raiders.

A Cowboys' fan came up to me today and noticed I had my Chargers polo on and told me that Dallas definitely would have won that game if Zeke had been playing. I just smiled at him because there's no point in arguing with a homer like that, but inside I was thinking "Does anybody honestly believe that any RB in the league is a difference maker to the tune of three TDs a game?" With or without Elliot, the Cowboys look fairly mediocre. The Bills game is of consequence though. That game got out of hand quickly with those five picks that Taylor likely wouldn't have thrown. Once again, even with Tyrod, that's a fairly mediocre squad.

The rankings in yardage and points is the same argument against their win total: level of competition.

I'm looking forward to the game tonight. It's been a few years since I've had much hope for this franchise, but things might be looking slightly optimistic. I'll still keep my guard up against that eventual, heart-wrenching letdown though.
Sean Lee playing for that Defense is just as important as having Zeke. Id agrue Lee is more important to Dallas. 

Wild Card scenario:
Chargers beat the Raiders
Ravens beat the Bengals
Jaguars beat the Titans
Although that sound pretty likely, not sure what playoff spot will do for them....

No H Henry, Injured Perryman, Injured Gordon.....that's a one and done at best!

:wall:

Users who are viewing this thread