What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 Chargers Thread **** (2 Viewers)

The Charger offense could be off the hook fun to watch this year. The starting line needs to stay healthy, and it's a tough schedule, but still, this might be a special season for the Chargers when they have the ball.
I could see that, they are loaded, and I'll be watching. Let me ask, aside from say Rivers & Gordon are you or other Charger fans drafting any particular Chargers in redraft? Allen seems like he has too much talent around him now and Gates & Henry look like they might split targets. What do you think of Allen & Henry in particular? Thanks.

Chargers fans do your see Rivers having one of his best years statistically with all of these weapons?

Chargers fans do your see Rivers having one of his best years statistically with all of these weapons?
:yes:

If the starting offensive line can stay healthy. If not, he'll be like he was last year.

They have a tough strength of schedule too, but the offense might be good enough that it won't matter. Again, it all depends on the starting offensive linemen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see that, they are loaded, and I'll be watching. Let me ask, aside from say Rivers & Gordon are you or other Charger fans drafting any particular Chargers in redraft? Allen seems like he has too much talent around him now and Gates & Henry look like they might split targets. What do you think of Allen & Henry in particular? Thanks.
I've been targeting Tyrell Williams and Hunter Henry. Now that it looks like Mike Williams won't miss the whole season, he'd be worth a late round speculative stash if you can put him on IR. He could be interesting in the 2nd half of the season. I think it'll take him a bit to get into game shape and learn the routes on the field.

I am left wondering if the team is planning to add an OL released by another team.
And they did, claiming OL Michael Schofield. Based on what I have read, he is apparently much better at G than T, and G is definitely an area of need, so he could get some opportunity there. Will he survive once Tuerk's suspension ends?

The team waived WR Davis to make room. No surprise there. I assume Davis will end up on the practice squad.

• Reed didn't make it, but he was hurt for most of the preseason, which played into it. Hard to believe Mager is really better than him...
  • King was a steal in the 5th round, so at least there is some depth before Mager at this position. Still, it won't be good if Hayward or Verrett miss any significant time.
The team claimed DB Jeff Richards and waived Mager. No idea how good Richards is, but glad to see Mager go. He is in the running for the worst draft pick made by Telesco to date.

The Spanoses have been a blight their entire reign. You have to be a Charger fan in spite of them if you're going to be a Charger fan at all.
I think the next generation of Spanoses, John and A.G., will be much better than the previous and current generations, Alex and Dean.

I've been targeting Tyrell Williams and Hunter Henry. Now that it looks like Mike Williams won't miss the whole season, he'd be worth a late round speculative stash if you can put him on IR. He could be interesting in the 2nd half of the season. I think it'll take him a bit to get into game shape and learn the routes on the field.
I'm not sure I've played in redraft leagues with IR slots (especially slots available for players who aren't even on PUP). It would have to be a league with pretty deep rosters to get me to consider drafting Williams this year. (Dynasties are obviously a different story.)

I think the next generation of Spanoses, John and A.G., will be much better than the previous and current generations, Alex and Dean.
Well, that is about as low as a bar could be, so that doesn't necessarily mean much... they could be better and still be the worst run franchise in the league.

Per spotrac, the Chargers have about $10.3M in available 2017 cap space. Also, they are carrying nearly $1.2M combined for Tuerk and Palepoi, who are suspended, and $1.3M for Perryman, who is on IR but will presumably return later this season. So by week 4, they will open up another $1M or so in available cap space once they cut a couple players to activate Tuerk and Palepoi, and they will presumably open up another $500K or so when Perryman returns a few weeks later. All meaning they really have $11-12M to work with.

Despite how cheap the franchise has seemed over the years, I was under the impression they typically spent closer to the cap than that. I find it disappointing that they could have signed 1-2 free agents to upgrade some of their weaknesses but apparently chose not to do so.

The Charger offense could be off the hook fun to watch this year. The starting line needs to stay healthy, and it's a tough schedule, but still, this might be a special season for the Chargers when they have the ball.
I disagree. I think they continue this downward spiral of incompetence. They just can't do anything right right now, and I think that will translate to the field. 

I disagree. I think they continue this downward spiral of incompetence. They just can't do anything right right now, and I think that will translate to the field. 
When the ones were on the field in preseason (granted it wasn't very often), they carved people up. Not all against starting Ds, but some was against starting Ds. They looked really sharp. We'll get a great indication one way or another with the 1st game vs. the Broncos D.

Surprised Dzubnar has survived this long. He is a solid special teams player, but I dread the thought that he could start at MLB in Perryman's absence.
Dzubnar waived to clear space for LB Hayes Pullard, claimed off waivers from JAX. :thumbup:  

There wasn't some offensive lineman they could have given that spot to? The aren't winning squat if Clemens actually has to play, why not spend the resources having more guys to protect Rivers?

There wasn't some offensive lineman they could have given that spot to? The aren't winning squat if Clemens actually has to play, why not spend the resources having more guys to protect Rivers?
:goodposting:  

The spot would be more valuable used on just about any other position on the roster.

Rex Ryan made one good point last night. Rivers really needs to cut down on the interceptions. Also calling timeout to avoid a delay of game charge on 3rd and 5 on your own 25 or whatever it was.

Rex Ryan made one good point last night. Rivers really needs to cut down on the interceptions. Also calling timeout to avoid a delay of game charge on 3rd and 5 on your own 25 or whatever it was.
Rivers threw that on a timing route expecting Allen to beat the defender inside, and he didn't. The defender did a nice job pushing Allen off his route and made a nice play. That really wasn't Rivers' fault, he put the ball where the play called for him to put it. :shrug:  

Agree on the timeout, but it is completely unsurprising that they burned a timeout to avoid a delay penalty 1 time in a game on the road in Denver (loud) against a great defense and especially pass rush. 

Rivers threw that on a timing route expecting Allen to beat the defender inside, and he didn't. The defender did a nice job pushing Allen off his route and made a nice play. That really wasn't Rivers' fault, he put the ball where the play called for him to put it. :shrug:  

Agree on the timeout, but it is completely unsurprising that they burned a timeout to avoid a delay penalty 1 time in a game on the road in Denver (loud) against a great defense and especially pass rush. 
True about last night's interception. It was more a general observation that I agree with.

You have to know it's not worth the timeout to save 5 yards in that situation, regardless of the environment. I think a good general metric is, if you're not on the cusp of field goal range or better, and it's not a time saving situation anyway, don't burn the timeout to save 5 yards.

Didn't like what I saw from the offensive line last night. I'm hoping that's more a Bronco's D thing that it is a Chargers' offensive line thing.

Also, special teams were brutal.

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Los Angeles Chargers QB Philip Rivers converted $3 million of his base salary into a signing bonus Tuesday, Sept. 12, which opened up $2 million in salary cap space.
Does this mean Telesco is going to actually do something with their remaining cap space? They could really use some depth at LB.

Just Win Baby said:
Does this mean Telesco is going to actually do something with their remaining cap space? They could really use some depth at LB.
Cap space isn't what is holding them back. 

Agree, but they obviously have a lot of room for improvement and should be using remaining cap space to try to get better.

This is not rocket science. 
I don't know that the ownership's goal is winning games as much as making money. If you look at it from that perspective...

I don't know that the ownership's goal is winning games as much as making money. If you look at it from that perspective...
I agree with this, but converting Rivers salary to bonus does 3 things:

1. Paid Rivers $3M now, rather than over the next 4 months. This is counter to the idea that the team doesn't want to spend money.
  2. Clears $2M in 2017 cap space.
  3. Adds $1M to his 2018 and 2019 cap hits.
1 and 3 are negatives, though small ones in the big picture. Why bother doing this if not planning to use the 2017 cap space?

I agree with this, but converting Rivers salary to bonus does 3 things:

1. Paid Rivers $3M now, rather than over the next 4 months. This is counter to the idea that the team doesn't want to spend money.
  2. Clears $2M in 2017 cap space.
  3. Adds $1M to his 2018 and 2019 cap hits.
1 and 3 are negatives, though small ones in the big picture. Why bother doing this if not planning to use the 2017 cap space?
is this where we try to play the "guess how the Chargers front office sucks this week" game?

But seriously, it's good to have cap space, I have no idea what they think they'll do with it this year. Maybe they'll use the additional $1M cap hits in the next two years as an excuse for not signing impact free agents then. Crazy like a fox!

Clueless Ken Whisenhunt is holding this team back. in 13 seasons as HC or OC he's had 7 top 20 RBs, but only one in the top 10, M. Gordon 2016.and by the looks of Monday's lousy performance by said player, there's going to be a serious regression in rushing yardage from SD, *cough*,   L.A.

if I was a M. Gordon owner I'd be selling high

Clueless Ken Whisenhunt is holding this team back. in 13 seasons as HC or OC he's had 7 top 20 RBs, but only one in the top 10, M. Gordon 2016.and by the looks of Monday's lousy performance by said player, there's going to be a serious regression in rushing yardage from SD, *cough*,   L.A.

if I was a M. Gordon owner I'd be selling high
The offensive line didn't do Gordon (or any of the other RBs) any favors vs. Denver. Wisenhunt can't block for the guy.

Surprised Dzubnar has survived this long. He is a solid special teams player, but I dread the thought that he could start at MLB in Perryman's absence.
Dzubnar waived to clear space for LB Hayes Pullard, claimed off waivers from JAX. :thumbup:  
After watching Pullard play last week, I retract my thumbs up. I wanted Dzubnar released, but Pullard was awful last week -- PFF has him graded at #106 out of 108 graded LBs to date. :X  

Check out the LB snaps and PFF grades from last week:

• Brown: 79.6 grade, 66 snaps
  • Toomer: 77.4 grade, 27 snaps
  • Harris: 54.4 grade, 5 snaps
  • Emanuel: 38.1 grade, 30 snaps
  • Pullard: 35.0 grade, 32 snaps
WTF? Why would they give Toomer fewer snaps than Pullard and Emanuel? Toomer played really well last season.

As an aside, how bad is Joshua Perry that he got waived in favor of Harris, Emanuel, and Pullard? Or was that just another sign of Chargers incompetence?

Ok.  I'll say it.  Its ridiculous we keep losing close games. Although, if the special teams is going to be this bad, then the offense needs to be a hell of a lot more consistent to make up for it. There is no room for things like Rivers having only 115 yards passing through 3 quarters vs the Broncos last week.  

Verret being out was so easy to forecast....need another starting corner ASAP

Koo.....sorry.....missing 2 FGs in this game....he won't recover....need a veteran

Anyone at the game? Was it a Chargers crowd, or back to the old visitor status like at the Q?

I understand they charged $100 for general parking at the game yesterday. It's good to see they're delivering a quality experience. Such great management. I'm sure they'll use that money to give Koo a juicy contract extension sometime this week. I loved the stat they showed indicating the chargers have lost more one possession games than anyone else in the NFL in the last 3 years (something like that). Should officially change the name of the team to the Chokers.

There were again several occasions where the team didn't look to be prepared sufficiently.

From Chargers (again) give it away in home-opening loss to Dolphins

The Chargers are 1-10 in games decided by seven points or fewer over the past two seasons, the worst winning percentage for any team in such games.

The Chargers also have lost seven games in which they’ve led in the fourth quarter dating back to last season.
Look at the schedule the next 6 weeks before the bye: KC, PHI, @NYG, @OAK, DEN, @NE. They might be 0-8 entering the bye week.

I understand they charged $100 for general parking at the game yesterday. It's good to see they're delivering a quality experience. Such great management. I'm sure they'll use that money to give Koo a juicy contract extension sometime this week. I loved the stat they showed indicating the chargers have lost more one possession games than anyone else in the NFL in the last 3 years (something like that). Should officially change the name of the team to the Chokers.

There were again several occasions where the team didn't look to be prepared sufficiently.
And I think they said $14 beers to wash that down with. 

The USC game had more people than the Rams and Chargers combined. That is pretty crazy. Also pretty stupid for the NFL to schedule the Chargers home opener at the same time as a Rams game. I know their games will overlap a lot and that is fine, but you'd think they'd give the opener a little love there. 

Just to clarify, they couldn't get full attendance in a 30,000 capacity stadium for their home opener in their first season in Los Angeles in over 55 years.

That's my team.

So now starting RT Barksdale is week to week with a foot injury, and swing tackle Hairston just got placed on the non-football injury/illness list. Sounds like the Chargers might be starting 6th round rookie pick Tevi or a guy off the Titans practice squad at RT on Sunday... against Justin Houston.

Same old, same old.

>>Instead, the Chargers gave Koo one kick in the entirety of preseason before deciding that they’d give him the job anyway.<<

- Yikes, that's weird.

REPORT: Jason Verrett Will Have Season-Ending Knee Surgery

He will only have played 25 of a possible 64 games (39%) after this season. Normally it isn't necessarily fair to blame a GM for injuries to drafted players, but this was a known significant risk with Verrett entering the draft in 2014, so in this case it was a bad pick.

To compound that mistake, the team picked up his 5th year option for $8.53M, which will become guaranteed if he cannot pass a physical next year. Not sure when the physical takes place, but IMO the team should release him at its earliest opportunity and move on.

It's nice how the Chargers seem to be able to highlight a different deficiency each week. Against the Eagles it was run defense. They've done a bang up job of addressing that hole over the last near decade.

Users who are viewing this thread