What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 Chargers Thread **** (2 Viewers)

Current predicted roster, with training camp 2 weeks away (changes from April post in red):

• Offense (24)

QB (2) - Rivers, Clemens
  • RB (4) - Gordon, Oliver, Andre Williams, Barner

If Williams sticks as the early down backup, Barner should have an edge over Farrow as the late/passing down backup and also given he can return kickoffs; Barner is $150K more expensive than Farrow, but that shouldn't be a factor
  • Still would like to see the team take a shot on Ryan Mathews as a backup to Gordon if he is released; that would presumably push Williams off the roster

[*]FB (1) - Watt

[*]WR (5) - Allen, Tyrell Williams, Benjamin, Mike Williams, Inman

• Mike Williams will have to earn his way into the top 3 in TC/preseason, if he can having missed so much time already

[*]TE (3) - Henry, Gates, Culkin

• Thinking UDFA Culkin has a great shot to beat out Cumberland, Cleveland, and McGrath; the new coaching staff has no allegiance to the latter 3, and Culkin is cheaper, and potentially more athletic; keeping him over the others would save $150K to $300K against the cap, depending on who is viewed as the last guy he beats out

[*]OL (9) - LT Okung, LG Slauson, C PulleyRG Lamp, RT Barksdale, C/G Tuerk, G Feeney, G Clark, T Hairston

• Okung and Barksdale are locks due to contracts; Lamp and Feeney are locks due to pedigree and potential; Slauson is a lock due to performance
  • Hairston should make it over Burwell due to performance/experience
  • Tuerk, Pulley, and Clark are all younger, cheaper, and hopefully better than Wiggins; keeping Clark/Pulley over Wiggins would save about $300K against the 2017 cap
  • The 9th player comes down to T Burwell or whoever is last among Tuerk/Pulley/Clark; the first 8 players includes 3 veteran tackles but only 1 veteran (Slauson) in the interior OL, so it seems appropriate for the 9th player to be IOL, while they push Burwell to the practice squad
  • It would be great if Tuerk and/or Feeney could force into the lineup based on performance; regardless of who was pushed out, it would imply stronger starters and depth

[*]Defense (26)

• Interior DL (5) - Mebane, Liuget, Reid, Square, Palepoi

Palepoi was terrible last season and also still has a 1 game PED suspension to complete, but I'm afraid the team will stick with him as the 5th DT
  • I would love it if Telesco would find a vet DT to sign or claim off waivers (like Reid last year) to push Palepoi off the roster

[*]Edge (6) - BosaIngram, Emanuel, Attaochu, Philon, Landrum

• No room for Tourek Williams, unless he beats out Landrum; Landrum was quite a bit better last season, albeit on fewer snaps
  • Rochell could surprise here and make the roster to play a run down role; if so, probably in place of Landrum
  • Hoping for a bounceback season from Attaochu; not sure what put him in the coaching staff's doghouse last season, but hopefully he is starting fresh with the new staff and will take advantage... it would be a big boost for the defense if he could return to his level of play from 2015
  • Not certain if Emanuel should really be shown in this group or at LB

[*]LB (5) - OLB Brown, MLB Perryman, OLB Toomer, Perry, Onwualu

• Predicting UDFA Onwualu beats out Dzubnar and plays special teams and limited backup OLB  snaps; this would save $150K against the 2017 cap

[*]CB (6) - Hayward, Verrett, King, Reed, Trevor Williams, Davis

• Counting King as a CB at this point
  • Predicting UDFA Michael Davis beats out Mager for the final spot on performance (no cap savings)

[*]S (4) - SS Addae, FS Boston, SS/FS Jenkins, FS McCoil

• Predicting Boston beats out Lowery to start at FS, which leads to Lowery's release, since he doesn't seem like a candidate to play special teams and releasing him would save $1.5M against the 2017 cap
  • No room for Stuckey, and releasing him will free up $2.9M against the 2017 cap

[*]Special Teams (3)

• PK (1) - Lambo

Could be pushed by Koo, but I expect Lambo to win the job

[*]P (1) - Kaser

• Could be pushed by Baker, but I expect Kaser to win the job

[*]LS (1) - Windt

[*]KR - King, Oliver, Barner

• King returned 56 kickoffs for an average of 26.0 yards per return over the past 2 seasons in college

[*]PR - Benjamin, King

• Would like to see the team assign Benjamin the first shot at this role to see if he can recapture his Cleveland success; with Allen hopefully healthy and Mike Williams added, plus the team knowing what they have in Tyrell Williams, there is less of an issue exposing Benjamin to injury on punt returns
  • King returned 43 punts for an average of 11.7 yards per return over the past 2 seasons in college

I must say, if healthy, this looks like a solid roster. Starters look strong overall. Depth is weak at interior DL and CB, and possibly OL, depending on how good Feeney, Pulley, and Clark really are. It will also probably take a while for the OL to gel, with 3-4 new starters.

One of the keys is how much it will be affected between now and opening day by injuries; last year, the team lost WR3 (Stevie), TE3 (Cumberland), and RB2 (Oliver) for the season and DE Bosa for the first 4 games within the same window.

Per spotrac, the Chargers currently have about $3.1M in available 2017 cap space, and my predictions above would free up about another $5M. I know Telesco will hold some of that in reserve, but that suggests he has room to spend if he can find some vets, trades, or vet waiver pickups. IMO priority should be on a veteran DT, then possibly RB Mathews or a veteran CB, although that priority could be shifted based on TC/preseason injuries.

Thoughts?

Good news for the Chargers IMO:

(Rotoworld) Philip Rivers says he hopes to still be playing and with the Chargers when the new Inglewood stadium opens in 2020.

Analysis: Rivers reportedly was not excited about the franchise relocating, but he seems to be embracing the change. "I hope to still be playing football in 2020, and certainly I hope I'm still playing here," Rivers said. "And hopefully I'm still playing well enough and we've won enough football games that I will be able to trot out there in 2020 in that new stadium." Rivers' contract runs out in 2019 and he will be 38 by the time the new stadium opens, but if he is still interested in playing, the Chargers will almost certainly be willing to keep him around.
That would mean his current contract is not his final contract.

I have concerns about the defense, there's not enough talent on that side of the ball. The offense should be pretty good if the OL can avoid tons of injuries.

I have concerns about the defense, there's not enough talent on that side of the ball. The offense should be pretty good if the OL can avoid tons of injuries.
IMO the defensive talent is pretty good: Bosa, Ingram, Mebane, Hayward, Verrett, Brown is a very good core of talent, and guys like Liuget, Perryman, Toomer, and Addae have all flashed. Now, can they be consistent and avoid injuries? Not sure, but I think those are bigger questions than talent. :2cents:  

Just Win Baby said:
IMO the defensive talent is pretty good: Bosa, Ingram, Mebane, Hayward, Verrett, Brown is a very good core of talent, and guys like Liuget, Perryman, Toomer, and Addae have all flashed. Now, can they be consistent and avoid injuries? Not sure, but I think those are bigger questions than talent. :2cents:  
Gus Bradley was sold on the defense to come here and be DC.

Man the injuries are killing me. Every f'ing year!

I know its not determined yet, but I will be surprised if he can get through this and have a productive season. 

Bosa and Ingram are pretty good. Verrett can't stay on the field. Mebane's best years are behind him. I don't count the rest as anything special. :shrug:

Verrett is an ALL-Pro when healthy....WHEN. Bosa is a beast...seems to me ingram need to be more consistent. 

Chargers always have the same issues: injured WRs and OL. First Mike Williams, now Forrest Lamp. Lamp is done for the year with a torn ACL. 

I'm seriously questioning the competency of Chargers' trainer / medical teams for not being proactive monitoring their players' health to safeguard against any potential injury.  It's consistent pattern of injured players for past years that are highly baffling. 

Aznflyer14 said:
I'm seriously questioning the competency of Chargers' trainer / medical teams for not being proactive monitoring their players' health to safeguard against any potential injury.  It's consistent pattern of injured players for past years that are highly baffling. 
Injuries are part of the game. Tons of other guys getting seriously hurt already around the league. A competent team plans for that by using their resources to make sure they have top quality starters and top quality depth at key positions like offensive line.

Stuckey was released, as expected. The Chargers now have almost $12M in available 2017 cap space.

:popcorn:  

Teams have to pare down their rosters after the exhibition season. It seems like there is almost always someone who is cut from another roster that looks like an upgrade from one of our starters.

Teams have to pare down their rosters after the exhibition season. It seems like there is almost always someone who is cut from another roster that looks like an upgrade from one of our starters.
How does that saying go? One man's trash is a starter for the Chargers?

team is snake bit...what good does 12 million in cap room do for you...free agency is over???  
The Chargers could trade for DE Sheldon Richardson, who is set to earn $8.1M in the final year of his contract. The Chargers could take him on a one year deal and decide later if they want to extend him, or just go ahead and do it. He is 26 and has been a very good player (81+ PFF grade in all 4 seasons so far). Not sure what it would cost in trade, though... could the Jets be interested in Lowery? Mager? Palepoi? Clemens? How about a package deal? ;)  

DL Jared Odrick is a free agent. He was limited by injuries last season, but Gus Bradley thought he was good enough that the Jags signed him to a 5 year, $42M contract 2 years ago. Clearly, he disappointed to the point that he was released for cap relief, but maybe he could be signed to improve the DL depth. Would he be better than the likes of Palepoi or Rochell?

DT Jason Jones is a free agent. He played pretty well for Miami last season and could be signed to improve the DL depth. Better than Palepoi/Rochell?

C Mangold is a free agent. He is 33 and coming off a foot injury, but, if healthy, he could be a better choice at C than either Pulley or Tuerk (since it appears Slauson will be moved to LG). With Lamp's injury, RG has become a need, and Pulley could be a candidate to help fill in, along with Feeney and possibly Clark, and Pulley/Tuerk could provide depth at C rather than being pushed into starting.

It has been expected that RB Ryan Mathews could be released by Philly. The Chargers could sign him to be their #2 RB. He is better than their current backup RBs and had his best season under Whisenhunt.

Last year, the Chargers claimed Caraun Reid and Andre Williams off waivers on September 4. Reid looked good before getting hurt, and Williams was good in his one game in week 17. Cap space is required to take on players through waivers.

In 2015, the Chargers extended Rivers' contract on August 17. They could choose to extend someone and front load some money (but who?).

I'm sure this isn't a comprehensive list, but this is enough to show there is still value in clearing cap space at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
team is snake bit...what good does 12 million in cap room do for you...free agency is over???  
By default, most teams are snake bit.  Raiders lost Carr.  Chiefs were suffering from injuries at RB all year.  Wound up letting the top RB for years go.  Chiefs had the pass rush injured as well.  Broncos lost CJ Anderson for the year and Siemen got hurt which pressed Paxton Lynch into service too early. and their offense collapsed.  

Local L.A. radio station (710) had Lynn on this morning. Most of the interview was typical vanilla stuff. The thing of interest that stood out to me was, when they asked about Mike Williams being unavailable, Lynn went into discussing how strong the receiving group was even without Mike Williams. The first name out of his mouth when discussing those guys was Tyrell Williams. Then Keenan Allen.

Well, based on one preseason game, the starters look good and they have close to zero depth.

Really great to see Perryman carted off. They're saying high ankle sprain, out 4-6 weeks. That hurts as they don't have much behind him at ILB.

Might be time to let Clemens go. He's not a plus player and won't do much for them in terms of winning if Rivers misses time. Might as well let the young guys back up and try to develop them.

Andre Williams = :X  . Release him and let Farrow have the spot. Oliver looked pretty much like Oliver.

King made some nice plays at safety.

They've got close to no depth, particularly on the lines and at line backer. The offensive line was horrific tonight, they could have pulled folks from the stands to play up there and have it look about the same, maybe even better.

Perryman out 8-10 weeks.

Ughh...my optimism went into the toilet fast....

OL still sucks and now a suspension?

Backup QB is the big suck, and unfortunately, Rivers is gonna get crushed back there.

LB corps....really will miss Perryman....

Ughh...my optimism went into the toilet fast....

OL still sucks and now a suspension?

Backup QB is the big suck, and unfortunately, Rivers is gonna get crushed back there.

LB corps....really will miss Perryman....
Yeah, Clements needs to go, he's useless. Jones might be o.k.

I don't know that they were counting on Tuerk for big things.

If the starting O line can stay together Rivers will be great. Once the injuries hit it'll fall apart quickly. Will there be any help on the waiver wire - anything would be better than the guys they have for backups in camp right now.

Wow, this seems low, even for a Spanos-run organization: Chargers Ditch Equipment Manager At End Of Training Camp After 38 Years With Team

The Chargers have parted ways with equipment manager Bob Wick this week after 38 years with the organization, including a personal move last month to follow the team from San Diego to Los Angeles. The Chargers did not give a reason for the firing to several local reporters.

Wick left his native San Diego to move to the Los Angeles area in mid-July, in order to be ready for training camp to begin later in the month. He worked training camp for the team, and news of his firing broke today, one day after camp ended.

He began with the team as a ball boy and equipment assistant in 1979 and worked his way up to the role of equipment manager in 2000. He was named NFL equipment manager of the year in 2009.

The move surprised several local media members who work closely with the team, and Wick was described as having been “universally liked and respected by Chargers players and coaches” by NBC San Diego. Several former players expressed their disappointment, including Mike Goff, who played for the Chargers from 2004 to 2008; Randy McMichael, who was with the team from 2010 to 2012; Jacob Hester, with them from 2008 to 2011; Eric Weddle, with them from 2007 to 2015; and Antonio Cromartie, with them from 2006 to 2009.
If karma actually exists, expect some more critical injuries...

The Chargers could trade for DE Sheldon Richardson, who is set to earn $8.1M in the final year of his contract. The Chargers could take him on a one year deal and decide later if they want to extend him, or just go ahead and do it. He is 26 and has been a very good player (81+ PFF grade in all 4 seasons so far). Not sure what it would cost in trade, though... could the Jets be interested in Lowery? Mager? Palepoi? Clemens? How about a package deal? ;)  

DL Jared Odrick is a free agent. He was limited by injuries last season, but Gus Bradley thought he was good enough that the Jags signed him to a 5 year, $42M contract 2 years ago. Clearly, he disappointed to the point that he was released for cap relief, but maybe he could be signed to improve the DL depth. Would he be better than the likes of Palepoi or Rochell?

DT Jason Jones is a free agent. He played pretty well for Miami last season and could be signed to improve the DL depth. Better than Palepoi/Rochell?

C Mangold is a free agent. He is 33 and coming off a foot injury, but, if healthy, he could be a better choice at C than either Pulley or Tuerk (since it appears Slauson will be moved to LG). With Lamp's injury, RG has become a need, and Pulley could be a candidate to help fill in, along with Feeney and possibly Clark, and Pulley/Tuerk could provide depth at C rather than being pushed into starting.

It has been expected that RB Ryan Mathews could be released by Philly. The Chargers could sign him to be their #2 RB. He is better than their current backup RBs and had his best season under Whisenhunt.

Last year, the Chargers claimed Caraun Reid and Andre Williams off waivers on September 4. Reid looked good before getting hurt, and Williams was good in his one game in week 17. Cap space is required to take on players through waivers.

In 2015, the Chargers extended Rivers' contract on August 17. They could choose to extend someone and front load some money (but who?).

I'm sure this isn't a comprehensive list, but this is enough to show there is still value in clearing cap space at this point.
Per OTC, the Chargers have $13.5M in available cap room. Kind of disappointed Telesco hasn't made any moves over the past few weeks. I mean, besides firing the longtime equipment manager.

Cuts have happened.

The Los Angeles Chargers announced 37 player moves on Saturday, cutting down the roster to the mandatory 53-man limit with the following transactions:

RELEASED

RB Kenjon Barner
QB Kellen Clemens
TE Jeff Cumberland
S Dwight Lowery

WAIVED

P Toby Baker
QB Mike Bercovici
G Brett Boyko
WR Da’Ron Brown
NT Ryan Carrethers
LB Kyle Coleman
CB Michael Davis
TE Mike Estes
CB Randall Evans
C/G Barrett Gouger
WR Jamaal Jones
K Josh Lambo
WR Mitchell Paige
WR Andre Patton
WR Cameron Posey
CB Trovon Reed
DT Caraun Reid
WR Artavis Scott
CB Brandon Stewart
CB Brad Watson
TE Matt Weiser
RB Andre Williams

WAIVED-INJURED
WR Isaiah Burse
T Tyreek Burwell
G Donavon Clark
DT Kaleb Eulls
RB Kenneth Farrow
LB Joshua Perry

RESERVE-SUSPENDED

DT Tenny Palepoi
C Max Tuerk

RESERVE-INJURED

G Forrest Lamp
Adios Clemens and Andre Williams - you won't be missed. Bercovicci regressed, adios.

Somewhat surprised Carrethers got the axe, he seemed like he was doing o.k.

Lambo cut too. Thought he looked better than Koo, particularly on kickoffs. :shrug:  Is it a money deal?

Can't say I really care about any of these getting on the practice squad. Glad to see Culkin make it this far, he looked good in pre-season. Same for WR Davis, he came on in the last two games.

Also worth noting (again outside his own thread) Mike Williams is just plain on the roster. I hope he's ready to go soon. Rivers could go straight up hog wild this year if the starting line can hold together.

I always used to pull for the Chargers because I pulled for San Diego... now not.
The Spanoses have been a blight their entire reign. You have to be a Charger fan in spite of them if you're going to be a Charger fan at all. I pledge allegiance to the Bolt, and bear the stench of ownership hoping something better comes along eventually. Suck as they might, they'll never blot out the memories of John Jefferson and all his one handed leaping catches, Air Coryell, the one Super Bowl season, the Tomlinson teams, etc.

The Spanoses have been a blight their entire reign. You have to be a Charger fan in spite of them if you're going to be a Charger fan at all. I pledge allegiance to the Bolt, and bear the stench of ownership hoping something better comes along eventually.
You're a great fan Groov, I respect that all the way.

You're a great fan Groov, I respect that all the way.
The Charger offense could be off the hook fun to watch this year. The starting line needs to stay healthy, and it's a tough schedule, but still, this might be a special season for the Chargers when they have the ball.

Current predicted roster, with training camp 2 weeks away (changes from April post in red):

• Offense (24)

QB (2) - Rivers, Clemens
  • RB (4) - Gordon, Oliver, Andre Williams, Barner

If Williams sticks as the early down backup, Barner should have an edge over Farrow as the late/passing down backup and also given he can return kickoffs; Barner is $150K more expensive than Farrow, but that shouldn't be a factor
  • Still would like to see the team take a shot on Ryan Mathews as a backup to Gordon if he is released; that would presumably push Williams off the roster

[*]FB (1) - Watt

[*]WR (5) - Allen, Tyrell Williams, Benjamin, Mike Williams, Inman

• Mike Williams will have to earn his way into the top 3 in TC/preseason, if he can having missed so much time already

[*]TE (3) - Henry, Gates, Culkin

• Thinking UDFA Culkin has a great shot to beat out Cumberland, Cleveland, and McGrath; the new coaching staff has no allegiance to the latter 3, and Culkin is cheaper, and potentially more athletic; keeping him over the others would save $150K to $300K against the cap, depending on who is viewed as the last guy he beats out

[*]OL (9) - LT Okung, LG Slauson, C PulleyRG Lamp, RT Barksdale, C/G Tuerk, G Feeney, G Clark, T Hairston

• Okung and Barksdale are locks due to contracts; Lamp and Feeney are locks due to pedigree and potential; Slauson is a lock due to performance
  • Hairston should make it over Burwell due to performance/experience
  • Tuerk, Pulley, and Clark are all younger, cheaper, and hopefully better than Wiggins; keeping Clark/Pulley over Wiggins would save about $300K against the 2017 cap
  • The 9th player comes down to T Burwell or whoever is last among Tuerk/Pulley/Clark; the first 8 players includes 3 veteran tackles but only 1 veteran (Slauson) in the interior OL, so it seems appropriate for the 9th player to be IOL, while they push Burwell to the practice squad
  • It would be great if Tuerk and/or Feeney could force into the lineup based on performance; regardless of who was pushed out, it would imply stronger starters and depth

[*]Defense (26)

• Interior DL (5) - Mebane, Liuget, Reid, Square, Palepoi

Palepoi was terrible last season and also still has a 1 game PED suspension to complete, but I'm afraid the team will stick with him as the 5th DT
  • I would love it if Telesco would find a vet DT to sign or claim off waivers (like Reid last year) to push Palepoi off the roster

[*]Edge (6) - BosaIngram, Emanuel, Attaochu, Philon, Landrum

• No room for Tourek Williams, unless he beats out Landrum; Landrum was quite a bit better last season, albeit on fewer snaps
  • Rochell could surprise here and make the roster to play a run down role; if so, probably in place of Landrum
  • Hoping for a bounceback season from Attaochu; not sure what put him in the coaching staff's doghouse last season, but hopefully he is starting fresh with the new staff and will take advantage... it would be a big boost for the defense if he could return to his level of play from 2015
  • Not certain if Emanuel should really be shown in this group or at LB

[*]LB (5) - OLB Brown, MLB Perryman, OLB Toomer, Perry, Onwualu

• Predicting UDFA Onwualu beats out Dzubnar and plays special teams and limited backup OLB  snaps; this would save $150K against the 2017 cap

[*]CB (6) - Hayward, Verrett, King, Reed, Trevor Williams, Davis

• Counting King as a CB at this point
  • Predicting UDFA Michael Davis beats out Mager for the final spot on performance (no cap savings)

[*]S (4) - SS Addae, FS Boston, SS/FS Jenkins, FS McCoil

• Predicting Boston beats out Lowery to start at FS, which leads to Lowery's release, since he doesn't seem like a candidate to play special teams and releasing him would save $1.5M against the 2017 cap
  • No room for Stuckey, and releasing him will free up $2.9M against the 2017 cap

[*]Special Teams (3)

• PK (1) - Lambo

Could be pushed by Koo, but I expect Lambo to win the job

[*]P (1) - Kaser

• Could be pushed by Baker, but I expect Kaser to win the job

[*]LS (1) - Windt

[*]KR - King, Oliver, Barner

• King returned 56 kickoffs for an average of 26.0 yards per return over the past 2 seasons in college

[*]PR - Benjamin, King

• Would like to see the team assign Benjamin the first shot at this role to see if he can recapture his Cleveland success; with Allen hopefully healthy and Mike Williams added, plus the team knowing what they have in Tyrell Williams, there is less of an issue exposing Benjamin to injury on punt returns
  • King returned 43 punts for an average of 11.7 yards per return over the past 2 seasons in college

I must say, if healthy, this looks like a solid roster. Starters look strong overall. Depth is weak at interior DL and CB, and possibly OL, depending on how good Feeney, Pulley, and Clark really are. It will also probably take a while for the OL to gel, with 3-4 new starters.

One of the keys is how much it will be affected between now and opening day by injuries; last year, the team lost WR3 (Stevie), TE3 (Cumberland), and RB2 (Oliver) for the season and DE Bosa for the first 4 games within the same window.

Per spotrac, the Chargers currently have about $3.1M in available 2017 cap space, and my predictions above would free up about another $5M. I know Telesco will hold some of that in reserve, but that suggests he has room to spend if he can find some vets, trades, or vet waiver pickups. IMO priority should be on a veteran DT, then possibly RB Mathews or a veteran CB, although that priority could be shifted based on TC/preseason injuries.

Thoughts?
Not too many surprises. Roster after today's moves:

• Offense (24)

QB (2) - Rivers, Jones

My previous post was before the trade for Jones. Unfortunately, rumor is that the Chargers will re-sign Clemens once his salary would not be vested for the season, suggesting they plan to carry 3 QBs. I think that is a bad idea - if Rivers goes down, the season is over. Heck, Jones is arguably better than Clemens in that situation anyway.

[*]RB (3) - Gordon, Oliver, Ekeler

• I'm glad Ekeler made the team. He deserved it based on his preseason.
  • I'm glad none of Andre Williams, Barner, and Farrow made the team. They are all JAGs at best.
  • Unfortunately, this leaves the team extremely thin at the position. Gordon has yet to finish a season healthy. Would the team really be prepared to roll with just Oliver and Ekeler if Gordon misses time again? Makes me think the team may be looking at adding a RB over the next few days.

[*]FB (1) - Watt

• As expected. Watt was pretty bad last season, but I fully expected this narrative that his presence helps Gordon to continue. The bolder move would have been to drop him and use Culkin as a hybrid FB/TE, but I didn't really expect that to happen.

[*]WR (6) - Allen, Tyrell Williams, Benjamin, Mike Williams, Inman, Davis

•  Keeping Mike W off IR designated to return is a surprise, particularly given the strength of the other targets in the passing game that could have allowed him the time to get fully healthy on IR. This means the Chargers will presumably burn a roster spot for him for 4-6 weeks while he is inactive the entire time. Not sure why they would do that.
  • Otherwise, no surprises. Davis presumably only made the roster because Mike W will be inactive for a while. I assume he will be released once Mike W is healthy and able to get on the field.

[*]TE (4) - Henry, Gates, Culkin, McGrath

• McGrath is the only surprise. However, given the roster currently has only 3 RBs and 8 OL, plus the rumor that the team will add a 3rd QB, I really hope McGrath will be released soon. There is no reason to ever want to see him on the field.

[*]OL (8) - LT Okung, LG Slauson, C PulleyRG Wiggins, RT Barksdale, G Feeney, T Hairston, T Tevi

• Surprised the team is going with just 8 OL and with just 1 backup interior OL. Obviously, the Lamp injury hurt them here and led to an adjustment.
  • C/G Tuerk is suspended for 4 games and will presumably claim a roster spot after that. Maybe that is the reason for just 1 backup IOL.
  • Based on past performance, I hate the idea of Wiggins starting, and it is disappointing that Feeney was unable to beat him out to date. Maybe that will change.
  • Surprised Tevi made the final roster. This is a sign of just how weak this OL remains. If he is pressed into action, it will be a disaster.
  • Compared to my prediction, basically Tevi made it over Clark, but Clark was injured and was waived-injured. I assume he will end up on the practice squad and could show up later this season on the active roster.
  • I am left wondering if the team is planning to add an OL released by another team.

[*]Defense (26)

• Interior DL (4) - Mebane, Liuget, Square, Rochell

Reid was released, which is disappointing. He flashed last year, and I was hoping he would be a solid rotation player.
  • Palepoi has to serve a 1 game suspension but will then be back. Who will be released to make room for him? Rochell? Attaochu? Philon?
  • Overall, this is not a strong group. Mebane is old enough that no one should count on him to play even 50% of the snaps. Liuget has been hugely disappointing since signing his big extension. Square is fine, but it would be surprising if Rochell really emerges as a solid rotation player. I would love to see another player added here.

[*]Edge (5) - Bosa, Ingram, McCain, Attaochu, Philon

• McCain had a strong preseason, so hopefully he can be a solid 3rd pass rusher.
  • Hoping for a bounceback season from Attaochu, but also wouldn't be surprised to see him released at some point during the season if he doesn't show something.

[*]LB (7) - WLB Brown, MLB Perryman, OLB Emanuel, Toomer, Dzubnar, Harris, Onwualu

• Perryman will go on IR designated to return, it just hasn't happened yet. That will open up a roster spot for the first several weeks.
  • Surprised Dzubnar has survived this long. He is a solid special teams player, but I dread the thought that he could start at MLB in Perryman's absence.
  • Harris and Onwualu are both UDFAs. On the one hand, good for them for making it. On the other hand, this suggests that LB depth is not good...
  • Surprised Perry didn't make the final roster. He was waived-injured, but his ankle injury seemed minor enough that the team used it as an excuse. I wouldn't be surprised if he is claimed - he was an excellent special teams player last season and was a fairly accomplished college LB.

[*]CB (5) - Hayward, Verrett, King, Trevor Williams, Mager

• Reed didn't make it, but he was hurt for most of the preseason, which played into it. Hard to believe Mager is really better than him...
  • King was a steal in the 5th round, so at least there is some depth before Mager at this position. Still, it won't be good if Hayward or Verrett miss any significant time.

[*]S (5) - SS Addae, FS Boston, SS/FS Jenkins, FS McCoil, Phillips

• Pleased that Lowery was released as I had predicted. This suggests that the position could be improved with Boston.
  • Pleased that McCoil made it as predicted. I still like his potential.
  • I don't really see why the team needs Phillips, and I could see his days as being numbered.

Special Teams (3)

• PK - Koo

This is a surprise. People are not understanding the kickoffs, where Koo kicks shorter, but higher, than Lambo, which can be leveraged by the coverage team to yield better results in starting field position for the other team. The real surprise is that they gave Koo just 1 FGA during the preseason games, and a 27 yarder at that. Who knows how he will fare in real NFL games? This may have been influenced by the sizable Korean community in LA, the thought of which is discouraging.

[*]P - Kaser

• As expected.

[*]LS - Windt

• As expected.

The Spanoses have been a blight their entire reign. You have to be a Charger fan in spite of them if you're going to be a Charger fan at all. I pledge allegiance to the Bolt, and bear the stench of ownership hoping something better comes along eventually. Suck as they might, they'll never blot out the memories of John Jefferson and all his one handed leaping catches, Air Coryell, the one Super Bowl season, the Tomlinson teams, etc.
Throw in Dan Fouts & Kellen Winslow.  Two tough SOB.

PK - Koo

• This is a surprise. People are not understanding the kickoffs, where Koo kicks shorter, but higher, than Lambo, which can be leveraged by the coverage team to yield better results in starting field position for the other team. The real surprise is that they gave Koo just 1 FGA during the preseason games, and a 27 yarder at that. Who knows how he will fare in real NFL games? This may have been influenced by the sizable Korean community in LA, the thought of which is discouraging.
I did notice that strategy during the preseason on the kickoffs with him. Just seems like you're putting more pressure on your special team coverage, which has been a weak spot in recent years, rather than taking the sure thing with the touchback. Similarly to you, I haven't seen him kick any field goals. They must have seen enough in practice.

Users who are viewing this thread