What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official 2016** Miami Dolphins- Playoff Bound!!! The product on the field is starting to match the top organization in the NFL (2 Viewers)

One thing I will always hand to Rex is his players will run through walls for him. Couple him with a savvy GM who knows how to draft and sign key budget free agents and he can take a team very far.

I hope Gase is a wonder boy and can turn this ship around. But I want to knowing he truly had the final say on all players on this team. There are so many chefs in the Dolphins kitchen and no clear chain of command. It's infruiating. Is Gase the end all be all on how this team will be constructed? And that Suh contract.....oh my aching ###. We are hamstrung. We are going to lose arguably our best playmaker and most explosive player in Lamar Miller. And while I like Ajayi, he has to show he can stay healthy. Lamar has preen quite durable.

I really hope we can retain Lamar. Kid can be a star with better schemes and coaching. I can't say that about Tannehill though. I have seen enough. He is an average talent.
You Dolphin fans are an angry lot. Tannehill will be on his fourth Offensive Coordinator in 2016. It will be his 5th season. He's endured some of the worst offensive line play in the league. The organization has been a complete mess with bullygate etc. His HC turned out to be a real tool, and didn't support his QB.

I find this to be a truly amazing story:

Rotoworld:

According to the Miami Herald, former Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin wanted the team to draft Derek Carr in the first round to replace Ryan Tannehill in 2014.

Philbin was overruled by former GM Dennis Hickey, who took OT Ja'Waun James instead. According to beat reporter Armando Salguero, Tannehill was "starved for help and support" but never got any from Philbin. Whenever "things got sideways" during his tenure in Miami, Philbin would privately blame Tannehill for the team's shortcomings. Philbin even resented Tannehill's friendship with Dan Marino, who was brought in as a special advisor in 2014. Philbin's aloofness toward Tannehill certainly contributed to Miami's dysfunction last year. Tannehill is in a much better environment now with Adam Gase as the head coach.

Related: Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins

Source: Miami Herald

Jan 10 - 11:37 AM
There is no more difficult position to play in all of sports than a NFL QB. Its hard when you have all the pieces in place set up for you to succeed. Tannehill hasn't had a shred of that to date. There is legitimate reason to think that Gase is the real deal, and is a great hire for Tannehill. The Dolphins also for the first time in Tannehill's tenure may have some quality options at the WR position that can actually help Tannehill. (Parker >>>>Wallace in this regard.) Landry is a nice chain mover, but Parker should be able to provide a downfield threat to open up the offense. Look at how Randall Cobb did without Jordy Nelson this year. Parker should also provide a nice wingspan and high point ability that many other NFL QBs enjoy. Wallace had little ability to adjust to a under thrown deep ball.

IMO Gase was the hottest coaching candidate this year. He chose the Dolphins because he sees that they are not that far away from a turnaround. Tannehill/Landry/Parker can be the foundation for a good offense. They just need a stable environment in which to work, and a quality offensive line. (which IMO, the Dolphins should and will prioritize this offseason).
Listen. We want him to be the guy. And I am talking strictly from a fans point of view who has watched the NFL for 40 years. So our opinions are the same as any beat writer who also has never played or coached or been a GM in the NFL. So with that disclaimer out of the way it's pretty simple.

You can't coach footwork and pocket awareness. You just can't at this level. You either have this skill or not. Tannehill does not at this level. He does not feel pressure well. And if you can't feel pressure, your toast as an NFL QB. His internal clock malfunctions far too often to be a top tier QB. Heck even a notch below top tier. His pocket awareness and footwork is really poor.

It's really that simple.

Forget the turnover in coaching, OC's whatever. The fact of the matter is players make plays. And he does not make enough plays nor has elite to high level pocket awareness and footwork. Dan Marino could not move if his life depended on it. But he had amazing footwork, sensed pressure like he had eye's in the back of his head and also understood how to get rid of the ball quickly (and he has the quickest release I have ever seen mind you). He simply knew how to slide up in the pocket and get the ball out.

Yes Ryan's OL has been among the worst, yes he has had several coaches. Yes yes yes. But I have seen every game, every down, and at least 50% of his sacks are on him. He does not get the ball out, he makes bad reads at the line before the snap, he refuses to use his athletic ability to keep plays alive like some of the top QB's in the league (Rodgers, Newton, Luck etc) he is just not a good NFL QB.

Simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I will always hand to Rex is his players will run through walls for him. Couple him with a savvy GM who knows how to draft and sign key budget free agents and he can take a team very far.

I hope Gase is a wonder boy and can turn this ship around. But I want to knowing he truly had the final say on all players on this team. There are so many chefs in the Dolphins kitchen and no clear chain of command. It's infruiating. Is Gase the end all be all on how this team will be constructed? And that Suh contract.....oh my aching ###. We are hamstrung. We are going to lose arguably our best playmaker and most explosive player in Lamar Miller. And while I like Ajayi, he has to show he can stay healthy. Lamar has preen quite durable.

I really hope we can retain Lamar. Kid can be a star with better schemes and coaching. I can't say that about Tannehill though. I have seen enough. He is an average talent.
You Dolphin fans are an angry lot. Tannehill will be on his fourth Offensive Coordinator in 2016. It will be his 5th season. He's endured some of the worst offensive line play in the league. The organization has been a complete mess with bullygate etc. His HC turned out to be a real tool, and didn't support his QB.

Rotoworld:

According to the Miami Herald, former Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin wanted the team to draft Derek Carr in the first round to replace Ryan Tannehill in 2014.

Philbin was overruled by former GM Dennis Hickey, who took OT Ja'Waun James instead. According to beat reporter Armando Salguero, Tannehill was "starved for help and support" but never got any from Philbin. Whenever "things got sideways" during his tenure in Miami, Philbin would privately blame Tannehill for the team's shortcomings. Philbin even resented Tannehill's friendship with Dan Marino, who was brought in as a special advisor in 2014. Philbin's aloofness toward Tannehill certainly contributed to Miami's dysfunction last year. Tannehill is in a much better environment now with Adam Gase as the head coach.

There is no more difficult position to play in all of sports than a NFL QB. Its hard when you have all the pieces in place set up for you to succeed. Tannehill hasn't had a shred of that to date. There is legitimate reason to think that Gase is the real deal, and is a great hire for Tannehill. The Dolphins also for the first time in Tannehill's tenure may have some quality options at the WR position that can actually help Tannehill. (Parker >>>>Wallace in this regard.) Landry is a nice chain mover, but Parker should be able to provide a downfield threat to open up the offense. Look at how Randall Cobb did without Jordy Nelson this year. Parker should also provide a nice wingspan and high point ability that many other NFL QBs enjoy. Wallace had little ability to adjust to a under thrown deep ball.

IMO Gase was the hottest coaching candidate this year. He chose the Dolphins because he sees that they are not that far away from a turnaround. Tannehill/Landry/Parker can be the foundation for a good offense. They just need a stable environment in which to work, and a quality offensive line. (which IMO, the Dolphins should and will prioritize this offseason).
Appreciate the optimism from one who I assume is not a Fins homer. Its good to know that there are some out there who actually believe in this offense's potential. I have personally divested myself of all players in this offense except Lamar, who I am anticipating will be playing in another offense next season.

Tough to blame Philbin for wanting to draft Carr. Seems like he saw what many of us refused to see - early on. I can't imagine it was personal. Philbin's career was dependent upon the success of this team. If he thought 17 was the guy, why would he want to spend a valuable pick to replace him? Say what you will about Philbin, but it sounds like he saw the Tannehill train wreck coming long before the rest of the football world.

Your post brings up some valid points, but as a fan of the team who watches every play, I will elaborate on a few:

1. The OL does stink, but a great deal of the sacks were on Tannehill. No pocket presence, weak instincts, and an inability to get rid of the ball. We were spoiled with Marino, who was excellent at all of those things. Tannehill is severely deficient in those areas.

2. 4 OC in 5 seasons - that is a grotesque stat. Possible that 17 is a big part of the reason? I dont think anyone super special lost their jobs, but I also think 17 was a big reason why none of the offenses worked. Nobody wants to give him the power to audible. Why is that? It has been consistent with each coordinator. Tough to win in the NFL with a QB who is incapable of reading defenses to the point where no OC will allow him to audible. Also, tough to keep your job when it is tied to the success of the same QB that you cannot trust.

3. They will prioritize the OL this year. Well, we have been saying this for 5 years now and it still stinks. Signed Branden Albert, a few free agents, and drafted a bunch of day 1 and 2 guys. Maybe James will pan out at RT. None of the guards we drafted/signed are worthy of starting. We have still got zero (literally, zero) depth at OT. We have a great center. Thats all we have to show for 5 years of prioritizing the OL. Plus, now we have so many other needs (2-3 LBs, 2 CBs, Safety, DE) that its tough to continue to prioritize the OL. Add in the fact that we are in salary cap hell, and it makes it even tougher.

In short, I believe that your optimism can be sold to those who dont follow this team closely. As such, use it to move players on this offense if you own them. Its not going to get better here for a long time. Just the harsh reality of the situation. Its likely going to get worse, this year IMO, then next year we will probably see a rookie QB take over.
Thanks for the response. You may prove to be correct. However, I think its been proven over and over in the NFL that little is better for your team than stability. It takes 11 players functioning together as a unit to make an offense go. They need to be well coached too.

I am a Packer fan. For years our offense was one of the most dynamic in the league. Our offensive line was healthy pretty much throughout 2014. They worked extremely well together as a unit. Thats because they had worked together for years, and with the same scheme/system in place. Same thing with the passing offense. Rodgers to Nelson took years to get to the point where it was in 2014. They could just look at each other and know what the other was thinking. In 2015, the Packers offensive line was decimated by injury. They plugged backups in steadily, and all the starters played at a fraction of full strength. Nelson went down to injury. In that scenario, the Packers went from one of the best offenses in the league to one of the worst. Aaron Rodgers regularly missed throws we've never seen him miss. Aaron Rodgers got happy feet. His first read became, whose gonna hit me? What was once elite pocket presence became a guy running into sacks and lacking feel to slide in the pocket. In short, he looked truly bad for most of this season. If you had no idea who Aaron Rodgers was, and just watched the tape of the last 3/4 of this season, you'd be saying some pretty awful things about Aaron Rodgers as a QB.

Tannehill has operated under these circumstances pretty much his whole career. The added bonus was he also didn't have any coaching support or stability. These things make a HUGE difference. Shore up the offensive line, let Tannehill throw to the same guys for a few years. Keep the same coaches on staff and system in place. You'll see a much different QB.

Rotoworld:

Appreciate the optimism from one who I assume is not a Fins homer. Its good to know that there are some out there who actually believe in this offense's potential. I have personally divested myself of all players in this offense except Lamar, who I am anticipating will be playing in another offense next season.

Tough to blame Philbin for wanting to draft Carr. Seems like he saw what many of us refused to see - early on. I can't imagine it was personal. Philbin's career was dependent upon the success of this team. If he thought 17 was the guy, why would he want to spend a valuable pick to replace him? Say what you will about Philbin, but it sounds like he saw the Tannehill train wreck coming long before the rest of the football world.

Your post brings up some valid points, but as a fan of the team who watches every play, I will elaborate on a few:

1. The OL does stink, but a great deal of the sacks were on Tannehill. No pocket presence, weak instincts, and an inability to get rid of the ball. We were spoiled with Marino, who was excellent at all of those things. Tannehill is severely deficient in those areas.

2. 4 OC in 5 seasons - that is a grotesque stat. Possible that 17 is a big part of the reason? I dont think anyone super special lost their jobs, but I also think 17 was a big reason why none of the offenses worked. Nobody wants to give him the power to audible. Why is that? It has been consistent with each coordinator. Tough to win in the NFL with a QB who is incapable of reading defenses to the point where no OC will allow him to audible. Also, tough to keep your job when it is tied to the success of the same QB that you cannot trust.

3. They will prioritize the OL this year. Well, we have been saying this for 5 years now and it still stinks. Signed Branden Albert, a few free agents, and drafted a bunch of day 1 and 2 guys. Maybe James will pan out at RT. None of the guards we drafted/signed are worthy of starting. We have still got zero (literally, zero) depth at OT. We have a great center. Thats all we have to show for 5 years of prioritizing the OL. Plus, now we have so many other needs (2-3 LBs, 2 CBs, Safety, DE) that its tough to continue to prioritize the OL. Add in the fact that we are in salary cap hell, and it makes it even tougher.

In short, I believe that your optimism can be sold to those who dont follow this team closely. As such, use it to move players on this offense if you own them. Its not going to get better here for a long time. Just the harsh reality of the situation. Its likely going to get worse, this year IMO, then next year we will probably see a rookie QB take over.
Thanks for the response. You may prove to be correct. However, I think its been proven over and over in the NFL that little is better for your team than stability. It takes 11 players functioning together as a unit to make an offense go. They need to be well coached too.

I am a Packer fan. For years our offense was one of the most dynamic in the league. Our offensive line was healthy pretty much throughout 2014. They worked extremely well together as a unit. Thats because they had worked together for years, and with the same scheme/system in place. Same thing with the passing offense. Rodgers to Nelson took years to get to the point where it was in 2014. They could just look at each other and know what the other was thinking. In 2015, the Packers offensive line was decimated by injury. They plugged backups in steadily, and all the starters played at a fraction of full strength. Nelson went down to injury. In that scenario, the Packers went from one of the best offenses in the league to one of the worst. Aaron Rodgers regularly missed throws we've never seen him miss. Aaron Rodgers got happy feet. His first read became, whose gonna hit me? What was once elite pocket presence became a guy running into sacks and lacking feel to slide in the pocket. In short, he looked truly bad for most of this season. If you had no idea who Aaron Rodgers was, and just watched the tape of the last 3/4 of this season, you'd be saying some pretty awful things about Aaron Rodgers as a QB.

Tannehill has operated under these circumstances pretty much his whole career. The added bonus was he also didn't have any coaching support or stability. These things make a HUGE difference. Shore up the offensive line, let Tannehill throw to the same guys for a few years. Keep the same coaches on staff and system in place. You'll see a much different QB.
Yet....despite all this your guy went into Washington and won a road playoff game. Despite all this they are in the post season.

The Dolphins don't have half the talent the Packers do or the coaching, or the front office. It is a failure from top to bottom.

But one thing is quite clear. Tannehill has zero Aarron Rodgers potential. Let's not compare apples to oranges talent wise. Tannehill is not sniffing Rodgers ceiling even with great coaching and a functional offensive line. If you have watched every game and snap of Tanny's career you would know.

He is just not top shelf material. He is not the kind of QB that can put a team on his back and lead them deep into the post season. yeah it takes 11 on offense. But you still need a general to lead the troops. Tannehill is no field general. Not even close.

Not a franchise QB. But we are stuck with him for at least 2 more seasons...probably 3. They signed him to a 5 year extension. 96MM for this guy. And I get what is the other option. Well....I will tell you. Admit your mistake. Cut him loose and not give him that extension. Start over yet again.

It's a vicious cycle we have down here. And it has been cycling ever since Shula retired. Marino was not Marino post the Shula era. It all started when Shula was done. Jimmy was a failure and we have not recovered ever since.

Pure garbage product....it's painful.

Somehow Miami is going to screw this up. I don't know exactly how but trust me they will frack this up 3 ways to Sunday, just you wait and see.
Lol, It's sad that we're so jaded about this team but it's not without merit. Coughlin might be a good thing for the team. Someone to instill some discipline and, although I'm not a huge fan of his conservative nature, I think he's changed his ways somewhat the last few years. And, as a bonus, his Giant teams seemed to give the Patriots a difficult time.
Yeah, we all need the type of discipline he instilled while letting OBJ demonstrate the worst behavior in the league a month ago.

I agree he WAS that guy years ago but it obviously doesn't work in today's NFL (or he has tired of it himself and is burned out). However you slice it up, a rest from the grind would be best. Reminds me of Phil Jackson in the NBA. THe talent and ability is obvious but after a long period of time in the same venue and at a certain age, he needs a personal reboot.

Rotoworld:

Yet....despite all this your guy went into Washington and won a road playoff game. Despite all this they are in the post season.

The Dolphins don't have half the talent the Packers do or the coaching, or the front office. It is a failure from top to bottom.

But one thing is quite clear. Tannehill has zero Aarron Rodgers potential. Let's not compare apples to oranges talent wise. Tannehill is not sniffing Rodgers ceiling even with great coaching and a functional offensive line. If you have watched every game and snap of Tanny's career you would know.

He is just not top shelf material. He is not the kind of QB that can put a team on his back and lead them deep into the post season. yeah it takes 11 on offense. But you still need a general to lead the troops. Tannehill is no field general. Not even close.

Not a franchise QB. But we are stuck with him for at least 2 more seasons...probably 3. They signed him to a 5 year extension. 96MM for this guy. And I get what is the other option. Well....I will tell you. Admit your mistake. Cut him loose and not give him that extension. Start over yet again.

It's a vicious cycle we have down here. And it has been cycling ever since Shula retired. Marino was not Marino post the Shula era. It all started when Shula was done. Jimmy was a failure and we have not recovered ever since.

I generally agree with you but I will note that there are teams like Washington with Cousins and Cincy with Dalton where many of the same things have been said about the "top shelf" lack of talent at the position.

Even Alex Smith has been generally an absolute second thought in terms of QB eliteness potential, but he also is a guy that has had lumps, grown through it, and has now put his team in a playoff position.

What I see in the Dolphins is a lack of direction and leadership at every level. You don't have a shrewd owner, a shrewd GM, or a shrewd coaching staff. You can't just go out there and pay big money to guys like SUh and hope that big name talent carries. NFL championship teams are built on talent AND a great deal of depth because attrition happens in the NFL and you have to have that next man up to bridge the gaps. The Pats have made a living doing it. Pittsburgh does it. Seattle and Green Bay does it. Baltimore does it. It really is no secret that the teams that perennially stay competitive each and every year are the teams that know how to identify talent and then sign them at the correct salary so that they have them on hand when needed.

Rotoworld:

I didn't mean to imply that Tannehill was going to become the next Aaron Rodgers.

I just think with some stability around him, he can be a successful NFL QB. There's plenty of guys that aren't on Aaron Rodgers level that have won a lot of big football games. Can he be Eli Manning? Joe Flacco? Matt Ryan? Matt Stafford? Andy Dalton? I think Tannehill can reach that level.

Look at what Ben McAdoo did with Eli. Gase had Cutler playing his best football in a long, long time. They put some talent around Ryan Fitzpatrick in NY and hired a coach that doesn't hate offense.

I think its notable that Gase as one of the hottest coaching prospects out there, if not the most, chose to work with Tannehill. He interviewed with the Giants (getting Eli and Beckham), Eagles and Browns. The Eagles and Giants obviously offered much more stable ownership situations. We don't know for sure their level of interest, but Mariota, Winston, Kaepernick are all on teams without a HC.

Forte to Miami?
Oh please no. Injury prone and long in the tooth. Just what we need. Good grief.
The guy missed a few games this year, but has been remarkably durable his whole career.

I do agree that his best years are behind him, but he might be a very good stabilizing force and effective weapon in the backfield to help out a shaky Tannehill.

That's all assuming of course that Miller leaves and Gase is not enamored with Ajayi.

What I see in the Dolphins is a lack of direction and leadership at every level. You don't have a shrewd owner, a shrewd GM, or a shrewd coaching staff. You can't just go out there and pay big money to guys like SUh and hope that big name talent carries. NFL championship teams are built on talent AND a great deal of depth because attrition happens in the NFL and you have to have that next man up to bridge the gaps. The Pats have made a living doing it. Pittsburgh does it. Seattle and Green Bay does it. Baltimore does it. It really is no secret that the teams that perennially stay competitive each and every year are the teams that know how to identify talent and then sign them at the correct salary so that they have them on hand when needed.
Glad others see it

Rotoworld:

I didn't mean to imply that Tannehill was going to become the next Aaron Rodgers.

I just think with some stability around him, he can be a successful NFL QB. There's plenty of guys that aren't on Aaron Rodgers level that have won a lot of big football games. Can he be Eli Manning? Joe Flacco? Matt Ryan? Matt Stafford? Andy Dalton? I think Tannehill can reach that level.

Look at what Ben McAdoo did with Eli. Gase had Cutler playing his best football in a long, long time. They put some talent around Ryan Fitzpatrick in NY and hired a coach that doesn't hate offense.

I think its notable that Gase as one of the hottest coaching prospects out there, if not the most, chose to work with Tannehill. He interviewed with the Giants (getting Eli and Beckham), Eagles and Browns. The Eagles and Giants obviously offered much more stable ownership situations. We don't know for sure their level of interest, but Mariota, Winston, Kaepernick are all on teams without a HC.
I have always watched Dalton as I thought the Dolphins were going to take him. And I also thought the Dolphins were taking Aarron Rodgers when Smith went number one......instead Saben took gulp.....Ronnie Brown. Then I thought for sure Parcells would take Matt Ryan.....nope. Got cute and took Jake Long and then Chad Henne in the third round. Then the next year Pat White in the second round.

Right there...that is a microcosm of this franchise's failures at being unable to draft well on a consistent basis. Too many whiffs and not enough hits.

I don't think Tannehill is bad. But I see limitations to his game that will keep him getting to even a Matt Ryan and Andy Dalton level. And the main thing is his complete lack of pocket awareness which is probably the most critical thing other than the ability to make every throw (which he has the arm to do and can do although the deep ball has been a tough pill for him) and read defenses (which he still does not do at a high level). So while he can still possibly develop into a QB that can squeak us into the post season.....I don't think 96MM should buy that. And if that is what the going rate is for a mediocre NFL QB is....dear lord no wonder the quality of this game has declined rapidly.

The Dolphins made a mistake. When they admit it is another story. But this is what we have as fans of this team. I am rooting hard for Ryan. I hope Gase can work some magic and turn his career around. Because right now he took 3 giant steps backwards this season. He has a lot of work ahead to turn this kid's confidence around. And I am not sure he has his teammates behind him and believing in him and that is a huge factor for a QB to be successful.

Belief and respect from your brothers. I think it is on tenuous ground right now. Gase has a huge task ahead of him.

I actually disagree with almost everyone here about tannyhill. I think he is still somewhat Raw and hasn't had a coach to work his talents. I think at his best he is another russell wilson. The issue is no coach has let him use his feet, and his o line has been BAD. Carr's brother was scarred forever and took less sacks than ryan. I think you all underestimate what an above average O line would mean to this kid.

I actually disagree with almost everyone here about tannyhill. I think he is still somewhat Raw and hasn't had a coach to work his talents. I think at his best he is another russell wilson. The issue is no coach has let him use his feet, and his o line has been BAD. Carr's brother was scarred forever and took less sacks than ryan. I think you all underestimate what an above average O line would mean to this kid.
Tannehill doesn't go through progressions nearly as fast as Wilson. Russell Wilson's field awareness is light years ahead of Tannehill.

I honestly don't know what your seeing. I see a kid who is in over his head back there.

He can use his feet. He just does not do it. His internal clock is not good. You can't coach that. You either have the natural ability or you don't. And you can't get away with that at the highest level. he is not an upper half QB in this league. Despite a weaker OL and multiple coaching changes at the OC position. I think maybe with better coaching and a solid OL he could be good. But check out Andrew Luck's line during his tenure and look what he was able to do.....let's look at that. Luck is miles and miles ahead of Ryan Tannehill. Not even close. Forget statistics. Wins and losses and post season success. That's what matters.

I want to be wrong. Time will tell. And he has probably 2 more season to make it happen.

There is nothing wrong with a little QB optimism. I also want to keep him until something better appears on this roster and not until.

Well, the truth is he has a Kapernick style contract that after this year the Phins can get out of with not too bad of a cap hit. I see this being the RTanny "prove it year".

Gatorman said:
Well, the truth is he has a Kapernick style contract that after this year the Phins can get out of with not too bad of a cap hit. I see this being the RTanny "prove it year".
I broke down the cap on page 1 and several players highlighted in red that I feel will likely be a cap casualty or at least players I would cut if I were GM that make logical sense. But RT is going to be the QB in 2016 and 2017 before the cap hit would be acceptable.

2016-Cap Hit $11M, Dead Money Cap Hit/Cut-$18.5M so for sure he is on the books next season.

2017-Cap Hit $20M, Dead Money Cap Hit/Cut-$6.9M, still think they would try to work with him but if things go bad next year, look for a QB2 looking over his shoulder. I could see saving $13M in cap space to let him go even eating close to $7M because of it.

2018 ($4.5M cap hit if they cut vs $20M salary) and beyond the numbers get even better. I didn't know Gator but after working out the math I am inclined to agree with you that this is the "prove it" year before the big big money starts rolling in for RT. Nice post.

Vance Joseph hired as DC. Former DB coach of the Bengals.
I like this hire actually. Some really good DCs come out of the DB Coach spot, it's critical with the modern NFL that your secondary is as good or better than the WRs they face week in and week out. You might not like the attitude of Adam Jones but he did phenomenal work with him and also Reggie Nelson, developed Dre Kirk, this is a guy we need with so much doubt in the secondary right now.

I like this hire a lot. Not much I can do but give Gase a chance to assemble a team and make judgements based on what happens on the field. I'm on record as being a deep skeptic, time to start looking ahead if that's possible.

Good....2016 is prove it or your cut for Tannehill.

Thank god. I want to see him be the man. Fingers crossed this coaching change brings about a turnaround. I just want to see this team able to move the ball and be entertaining again. Something that has eluded us Dolphin Fans since 1995 if you really really think about it.

Forte to Miami?
Why?

They probably just offered him the most money by far, because no matter how you want to spin it, he didn't chose Miami because it was the best situation (from a football viewpoint) or BECAUSE of Tannehill - and if he did then his football acumen should be seriously questioned.

I would have loved the idea of McDaniels but you don't hear his name being mentioned anywhere. One obviously has to think maybe it's what Gatorman said and he has a handshake deal to take over the Patriots and he isn't even interested in interviewing. If that is the case my first choice would have been Hue Jackson, managed to go 8-8 with the dumpster fire that is the Raiders in his one season before being let go. Seems to have worked well with Andy Dalton who reminds me a little of Tannehill.
I believe the reason you haven't heard Josh McDaniel's name is teams are not that interested in him. He was a disaster in Denver. He moved on to St Louis as an OC and was terrible. I think teams are suspicious of New England assistants. I think they believe success in New England is the result of Belichick more than anything else. Bill O'Brien is having some success in Houston, but not only did McDaniels crash and burn, but so did Cremmel, and Weis. I sincerely doubt there is any handshake deal for McDaniels to eventually take over as head coach of the Patriots. Belichick could coach another six or seven years. And things might be very different there with Belichick and Brady gone. The media has been talking up McDaniels, but the NFL committee that puts out of list of potential head coaching candidates didn't even include McDaniels. I just don't think he is nearly as hot a prospect as the media would lead us to believe.

I really believe that the biggest mistake Miami made in hiring Gase is giving him final say on the 53 man roster. A first time head coach shouldn't have that much power. The coach should certainly be consulted on personnel decisions, but I think they should have a strong GM to make those decisions. Chip Kelly is a fine example of screwing that up.

Like it or not at least the Dolphins went out and got Gase who they liked and didn't fool around. The mess in Philly looks like the last few Dolphins coaching searches. Fire Chip after week 16 to get a head start, interview Gase and two on staff guys (Staley and Shurmur), set up second interview with Gase but he goes to Miami first. Scramble and do more interviews, rumors of Doug Pederson come out, fan base goes nuts. Interview Bob McAdoo, word is he impressed and they schedule to bring him back, Giants sweep in and sign him so that he doesn't leave. Wait until Hue Jackson has already interviewed other places and then try to set up interview, he declines and goes to Cleveland...freaking Cleveland rather then interview with the Eagles. Word this morning is they are talking to Coughlin as well as waiting on the Chiefs to be eliminated so they can talk to Pederson again.

Why, what were the other options out there ? Cleveland, no QB and they have drafted so many bad ones you can't assume the new analytics guy is suddenly going to be the answer. Philly who is going to have to sign Bradford for way to much (More then Tannehill's contract) and he has done nothing impressive and can't stay healthy. San Fran ? Huge question at QB and owners that seem to meddle more then Ross. I guess you could make a case for the Titans if you believe in Mariota after one season but he didn't exactly set rookie passing records. Tampa and Jameis Winston are probably the best spot but that deal opened up late.

Edit to add...the Giants were far and away the best job, but they were said to all along want to bring in a coach and try and keep McAdoo as OC and decided to just promote McAdoo, Gase was obviously not going to take that situation.

twistd said:
I really believe that the biggest mistake Miami made in hiring Gase is giving him final say on the 53 man roster. A first time head coach shouldn't have that much power. The coach should certainly be consulted on personnel decisions, but I think they should have a strong GM to make those decisions. Chip Kelly is a fine example of screwing that up.
I think by saying "final say on the 53 man roster" only means that he can chose which players he wants to keep after training camp (and can't be "over-ruled" by the GM/Upper Management) and to be active on game days. I don't think that means he has the ability to have final say on free agents, trades, draft picks etc.

Jeez, MoP. Give it a rest. We get that you love Coughlin and would hate anyone without a long resume. Gase is here and let's see what we have before we lynch him. I am fine if you feel forced by this to shed your Dolphin allegiance. If the alternative is listening to you posting more whining comments than everyone else in the thread combined, I wish you well as a Bills fan.
I understand friend, denial was a big part of the process for me. You'll get there.Gase was met with a lot of questions by those who get paid to cover them so I can rest a little easier knowing I'm not the only one questioning this.
The comments Tannenbaum made at the introductory pressed regarding use of analytics to selected the coach were pretty interesting. Somehow imagined the process to be a bit less systematic. I'm cautiously hopeful that this will work out, but more than anything, I think, it will depend to drafting well. If we can't shore up our guards and DBs, then nobody will be able to turn this shop around.

twistd said:
almost every coach has final say on 53.

You're mis-stating Chip. Chip was GM too.

The GM sets the table at the start of camp and as camp goes along the coach weeds out who isn't working out and ultimately makes his team.

In no way does the salary cap allow this to be a coach has "free reign" to cut the expensive players but anyone under a certain amount is surely possible.

"Final say" does not mean no one else will be consulted.

Most coaches (and fans) believe a coach should have final say, not the GM, since he is the one on the field and in the locker room with them.

Shawn Jefferson coached Kendall Wright, Hunter, and DGB- all highly thought of college WRs that were pretty highly drafted.

Any thoughts on him now coaching the Fins young WRs?

Shawn Jefferson coached Kendall Wright, Hunter, and DGB- all highly thought of college WRs that were pretty highly drafted.

Any thoughts on him now coaching the Fins young WRs?
Excellent hire to add to an impressive staff. I'm a big fan of the new DC, I'm not going to sit here and start ripping Gates' coaching selections. In fact I have been moderately impressed with who he is going out and bringing in. I was never psyched about Philbin assistants other than Lazor but that quickly faded and went out the window.

I would say based on the assistants I have seen so far...B+/A-, it's hard to nitpick, they seem like solid choices.

Honestly, what is more irritating than anything about the Tannehill debate is that it's genuinely difficult to judge what the guy is capable of, because the supporting cast has been tragic.

Honestly, what is more irritating than anything about the Tannehill debate is that it's genuinely difficult to judge what the guy is capable of, because the supporting cast coaching has been tragic.
Fixed. (although I could have added front office has been putrid due to its disfunction vs. its player acquisition)

Supporting cast, other than that putrid line, is good and was in place last year. Guys like Cameron, Parker, Landry, Miller, Ajayi, Stills and Mathews are a pretty nice cast.

Honestly, what is more irritating than anything about the Tannehill debate is that it's genuinely difficult to judge what the guy is capable of, because the supporting cast has been tragic.
I would have thought the most irritating thing would have been all those throws down the field he misfired on.

I would have thought the most irritating thing would have been all those throws down the field he misfired on.
Oh, there's a new and innovative critique. Funny how that seemed to get better with the emergence of Devante Parker and less reliance on some of the most predictable routes in the NFL.

Tannehill's deep ball, while improved, certainly isn't a strong suit. But let's not pretend the Dolphins put him in a great position to succeed.

Oh, there's a new and innovative critique. Funny how that seemed to get better with the emergence of Devante Parker and less reliance on some of the most predictable routes in the NFL.

Tannehill's deep ball, while improved, certainly isn't a strong suit. But let's not pretend the Dolphins put him in a great position to succeed.
I didn't mean to poop in the Fins thread. Apologies.

But what's the problem with his surrounding cast? Wallace/Landry/Matthews/Cameron/Miller is a lot worse than a lot of teams.

Honestly, what is more irritating than anything about the Tannehill debate is that it's genuinely difficult to judge what the guy is capable of, because the supporting cast coaching has been tragic.
Fixed. (although I could have added front office has been putrid due to its disfunction vs. its player acquisition)

Supporting cast, other than that putrid line, is good and was in place last year. Guys like Cameron, Parker, Landry, Miller, Ajayi, Stills and Mathews are a pretty nice cast.
The line was mostly what I was referring to. Their receivers/RB aren't the problem.

2015 - 31st ranked line

2014 - 32nd ranked line

2013 - Gave up the 10th most sacks in the history of the NFL.

Fix the line. And the D. And if Tannehill can't get it done with that, move on.

I didn't mean to poop in the Fins thread. Apologies.

But what's the problem with his surrounding cast? Wallace/Landry/Matthews/Cameron/Miller is a lot worse than a lot of teams.
No worries...and I'm not fully caffeinated; I can be a #### when I'm like that. My bad.

And I don't have an issue with the receivers. Even Wallace, who was probably one of the more overrated deep threats I've ever seen, was misused badly. The problems with the offense (as I see them) are as follows:

1) The O-Line: Addressed above. I really have no idea how Dallas Thomas isn't in jail for all the times he almost got Tannehill killed.

2) The coaching: Aside from the whole "Philbin didn't want Tannehill" stupidity that may or may not be true, the routes that Dolphins receivers ran for at least the past two years were just ridiculous. When you see every receiver continually running patterns short of the sticks on third and long, (and half of the time the end of those routes are coming back toward the LOS,) something is seriously wrong. They were incredibly predictable, and gave Tannehill almost zero margin for error.

3) Tannehill: His pocket presence sucks. It has regressed. Is it because he's been getting killed back there for four years? Probably. Is it fixable? I have no idea. Also, there really is no offensive leadership on the team. And a lot of that does fall on the QB. Was he hamstrung by a coach who didn't believe in him and an OC who wouldn't give him any freedom? Hard to say, but I do find it interesting that one of the first things his new OC and HC have been saying is "We've got his back."

Putting the transition tag on Vernon means he is likely gone.  What a mistake.  
We have so many holes and we can't pay him. What was a mistake was the irresponsible contract given to Suh. Knowing we had a ton of pending free agents and a OL to fix they give him a stupid contract.

On another team Vernon may thrive. But playing for Miami who will be playing from behind a lot.....he is an 7-9 sack guy. You can't give another 16-17MM a year contract to that type of production. I love Vernon......but we can't afford him.

We have so many holes and we can't pay him. What was a mistake was the irresponsible contract given to Suh. Knowing we had a ton of pending free agents and a OL to fix they give him a stupid contract.

On another team Vernon may thrive. But playing for Miami who will be playing from behind a lot.....he is an 7-9 sack guy. You can't give another 16-17MM a year contract to that type of production. I love Vernon......but we can't afford him.

Been giving out a lot of bad contracts over the last several years.  It is just so rare to see Miami draft a player that becomes a quality starter.  Sucks to let him go.

Been giving out a lot of bad contracts over the last several years.  It is just so rare to see Miami draft a player that becomes a quality starter.  Sucks to let him go.
And Lamar is a goner too IMO. I hope not. Hope he can give a hometown discount (doubt it though).

Undisclosed picks for Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso.  Assuming that is the end of Grimes in Miami.

Winning March yet again...

Slapdash said:
Undisclosed picks for Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso.  Assuming that is the end of Grimes in Miami.

Winning March yet again...
Alonso has not looked the same since the knee injury. I hope Miami's management knows what they are doing. 

Oh, wait ... nevermind.

Kiko is only under contract for one more year, so it is a decent gamble.  Even Maxwell only has just over a season of guaranteed money left ($11.5mm).

Miami seems to once again be making short-term view.  Letting go young players rounding into their prime like Vernon and Miller to acquire expensive veterans is not going to work.  We see this every March

Miami seems to once again be making short-term view.  Letting go young players rounding into their prime like Vernon and Miller to acquire expensive veterans is not going to work.  We see this every March
Yeah. These the Miami management team is an annual laughing stock. I feel sorry for Gase and their young players. 

Run Lamar, run. Far, far away. 

Users who are viewing this thread