What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official 2016** Miami Dolphins- Playoff Bound!!! The product on the field is starting to match the top organization in the NFL (1 Viewer)

I don't see heading into a building program with a guy who is 70+ and almost certainly done in a couple of years, particularly one who hasn't even been able to run at .500 for years and whose own management thinks is too past his prime to keep in place. Gase is probably the most highly thought of young guy out there (perhaps with OC McDaniel) and made great strides turning Cutler into a much improved QB. You need good offensive and defensive leadership. No matter which side of the ball your HQ comes from, the team results will depend a great deal on who handles the other side.
Are we rebuilding with THill going into year 4 and a potential explosive combo at WR in Parker and Landry? Suh and Jones part of an expansion team?

We need leadership above all else, there isn't ANY at the top. Am I the only one that can see this? Surely not.

Gladly take Coughlin and a couple wildcard trips and then he can hand it over to Dan Campbell who will be the Asst HC while Coughlin is here. I think they are a package deal. I would like to see Dan Campbell groomed for the position sort of what Dallas did with Wade and Ginger.

2-3 year plan, Coughlin can pick out his retirement home on Ft Lauderdale Beach. he will end up down here anyways, might as well get a head start.

Arians and Gruden are two more examples of successful OC to HC guys. I'm OK with the Gase rumors, as it would at least be exciting, but it would be hard to imagine it working out as well as some of the more experienced candidates.

Yes, MOP, definite Hawtin reference... I probably should have been a bit more subtle with the avatar rip off. I got to meet him at a show in Tokyo back in 2004. I got to the place very early, as I was worried I couldn't find it since Tokyo addresses are a bit nuts, and they just let me right in without paying, put a special band on my wrist, and ushered me in to a backstage preparty. Definitely an 'unidentified westerner' benefit, I was so confused but didn't question it. Got to spend like 30 mins chatting with Hawtin, it was awesome.

I don't see heading into a building program with a guy who is 70+ and almost certainly done in a couple of years, particularly one who hasn't even been able to run at .500 for years and whose own management thinks is too past his prime to keep in place. Gase is probably the most highly thought of young guy out there (perhaps with OC McDaniel) and made great strides turning Cutler into a much improved QB. You need good offensive and defensive leadership. No matter which side of the ball your HQ comes from, the team results will depend a great deal on who handles the other side.
Are we rebuilding with THill going into year 4 and a potential explosive combo at WR in Parker and Landry? Suh and Jones part of an expansion team?

We need leadership above all else, there isn't ANY at the top. Am I the only one that can see this? Surely not.

Gladly take Coughlin and a couple wildcard trips and then he can hand it over to Dan Campbell who will be the Asst HC while Coughlin is here. I think they are a package deal. I would like to see Dan Campbell groomed for the position sort of what Dallas did with Wade and Ginger.

2-3 year plan, Coughlin can pick out his retirement home on Ft Lauderdale Beach. he will end up down here anyways, might as well get a head start.
Very much appreciate your perspective, but I think Tannehill is a busted pick, which does in fact set the franchise back to expansionesque. Probably the best shot at avoiding that is with a young guy like Gase or McDaniels who have done good things with QBs before. As a previous poster said, Gase turned Cutler into a pretty good QB this year, even despite losing Marshall to the jets, White to injury, and Martellus, Forte, and Alshon to injury for many games. I personally thought his script had been written after he failed under Trestman, but Gase may have turned his career around. Doesnt mean he will win with our pathetic roster, but he may be at the top of the list to save Tannehill's career.

Problem I see is that unless they see something in 17 that I dont, none of the young sought after guys are going to want to pin their big opportunity on trying to drag this team out of the muck. I think its a long battle that may see several more firings along the way. This team is garbage from ownership down to the last spot on the practice squad roster. Couple outliers like Jones, Suh, and the 2 young WRs, but thats about it. Top 10 picks coming in bunches for the next several years. Too bad we have some assistant level nobody shmo named Chris Grier making those picks.

Very much appreciate your perspective, but I think Tannehill is a busted pick, which does in fact set the franchise back to expansionesque. Probably the best shot at avoiding that is with a young guy like Gase or McDaniels who have done good things with QBs before. As a previous poster said, Gase turned Cutler into a pretty good QB this year, even despite losing Marshall to the jets, White to injury, and Martellus, Forte, and Alshon to injury for many games. I personally thought his script had been written after he failed under Trestman, but Gase may have turned his career around. Doesnt mean he will win with our pathetic roster, but he may be at the top of the list to save Tannehill's career.

Problem I see is that unless they see something in 17 that I dont, none of the young sought after guys are going to want to pin their big opportunity on trying to drag this team out of the muck. I think its a long battle that may see several more firings along the way. This team is garbage from ownership down to the last spot on the practice squad roster. Couple outliers like Jones, Suh, and the 2 young WRs, but thats about it. Top 10 picks coming in bunches for the next several years. Too bad we have some assistant level nobody shmo named Chris Grier making those picks.
His presser set minority hires back IMO. He was terrible reading a canned speech. And player personnel? College scouting? What has this guy done in the last decade in Miami to earn this spot? The track record is HORRIBLE! I might be crazy but it felt like a hire based on NFL appeasement since the Phins bow down and genuflect in front of Goodell. Also helps them skirt around the RR somehow.

I want to see THill once more time with a decent OC and HC that can lead him. We have not had good leadership and even though I support Dan Campbell, he had to put a game plan together on the fly. One week its 4 players the next 53, and he whooped ### for a couple weeks and got some wins. He got us back to .500 after the HC was fired, that's hard to do especially when you might as well be the janitor on the pecking order. They promoted him over everyone.

If he has an OL, he is at least Alex Smith. As soon as you show me a better option on their roster I am all for it. They need to find a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round to groom and push THill out in 2 years.

Arians and Gruden are two more examples of successful OC to HC guys. I'm OK with the Gase rumors, as it would at least be exciting, but it would be hard to imagine it working out as well as some of the more experienced candidates.

Yes, MOP, definite Hawtin reference... I probably should have been a bit more subtle with the avatar rip off. I got to meet him at a show in Tokyo back in 2004. I got to the place very early, as I was worried I couldn't find it since Tokyo addresses are a bit nuts, and they just let me right in without paying, put a special band on my wrist, and ushered me in to a backstage preparty. Definitely an 'unidentified westerner' benefit, I was so confused but didn't question it. Got to spend like 30 mins chatting with Hawtin, it was awesome.
Gruden was the HC in Oakland first.

Bruce Arians was the interim HC in Indy but got great on the job training.

Maybe Miami needs to focus on what they have already instead of trying to find the savior that isn't coming any time soon.

As for Tanny: This is Marino all over again. Team has no O Line and no D and it is Tanny's fault? Kid is tough as nails. Gets knocked down a ton and still gets up and throws TDs. He's been a QB, what? 6 years? I do not think he is the problem. Now, if he wasn't allowed to audible because he is a moron or he can't handle a real Offensive game plan, well, then we know, but up to now I have seen nothing in Tanny's game that makes me think he is a bad pick.

BTW: Give up on him and watch him become the heir apparent in New england. Coaching matters.

Awesome story. I've met Richie many times, we booked him back in the 90s when he was releasing the 808 stuff and mixing Meatbeat Manifesto tracks. Seen him many times during the WMC over the years down here in Miami.

His current mixes are not as enjoyable for me. He plays a lot with Marco Corola and Loco Dice, Luciano and others. I don't feel the soul in his tracks that I felt earlier in his career. I'm over 40 now, how many dudes north of 40 are listening to EDM stuff? I'm not his target market any more. Monotonous is a word i hate to use but...I can only listen for a little while now.

But I have discovered some incredible DJs thru Soundcloud, encourage you to sign up, it's free, you probably already go there but i find so much Old School and current stuff on there I like.

As for Tanny: This is Marino all over again. Team has no O Line and no D and it is Tanny's fault? Kid is tough as nails. Gets knocked down a ton and still gets up and throws TDs. He's been a QB, what? 6 years? I do not think he is the problem. Now, if he wasn't allowed to audible because he is a moron or he can't handle a real Offensive game plan, well, then we know, but up to now I have seen nothing in Tanny's game that makes me think he is a bad pick.

BTW: Give up on him and watch him become the heir apparent in New england. Coaching matters.
But he is weak in leadership skills. I give him a lot of slack but I would like to see a HC get in his face and stick their foot up his blank and instill some leadership skills. Yes he bounces back after taking big hits but it's more than that. And his interaction with the scout team this past year says a lot about what is happening between the ears.

That is where I want him to grow and that is where the Miami Dolphins need to focus their coaching search. He doesn't need to be shown how to throw a football, he needs some leadership skills and he isn't getting it, not from Dumbo, the Pres, GM, Head Accountant, HC(Philbin 4 yrs). And until we have a better option we need to keep him.

Switched the title, a lot of Gase noise now.

Everyday a new name emerges as the guy they really want.

It speaks to the dysfunction from the owner to the hot dog vendor, the entire organization is laughable.

You are way too nice Gatorman. He is absolutely zero pocket instincts and is a great athlete trying to learn the hardest position in football. You have seen nothing that makes you think he is a bad pick? 4 seasons of pure regression with how to use his feet (footwork and scrambling) and feeling pressure. His rookie year he had some decent awareness and used his feet to get out of pressure. Then in year 2 he became a statue. In year three he was the most sacked QB in the league and while I totally agree our OL is probably one of the 3 worst in the league a good 40% of the sacks are on Tanny. He lacks pocket awareness and refuses to use his safety valve enough to avoid losses.

It's insane. He holds the ball far too long to be a top flight NFL franchise QB.

I am rooting for him. Believe me I am praying and hoping he makes it. I just highly doubt he will anymore. He went 4 steps back this season. Many times he had ample time to make plays and it ended in a sack. He does not have it in the pocket.

Period.

Bringing in Tannenbaum is a disastrous move. Our franchise in all seriousness is doomed for a long time to come. They fired the guy (Hickey) who drafted Jarvis Landry and Devante Parker (and Jordan Phillips who will be a nice DT for years). Two great WR prospects and a heck of a core. Tannenbaum made the splash signing of Suh. He is a great player but that contract was plain bad for a team not on the cusp of a title. Years and years and years of bad drafting, bad signings and bad coaching have led to this and it all starts at the top (Ross). We have not had a strong front office since Jimmy built a great defense. And it's been forever since we had a great product to watch on the field.

Pure #### show on the field since 1996.

Last edited by a moderator:
Todem said:
Gatorman said:

Bringing in Tannenbaum is a disastrous move. Our franchise in all seriousness is doomed for a long time to come. They fired the guy (Hickey) who drafted Jarvis Landry and Devante Parker (and Jordan Phillips who will be a nice DT for years). Two great WR prospects and a heck of a core. Tannenbaum made the splash signing of Suh. He is a great player but that contract was plain bad for a team not on the cusp of a title. Years and years and years of bad drafting, bad signings and bad coaching have led to this and it all starts at the top (Ross). We have not had a strong front office since Jimmy built a great defense. And it's been forever since we had a great product to watch on the field.

Pure #### show on the field since 1996.
Agree with this part almost 100%

I know it's tough to not want to get feisty about THill, I wanted to cut him at different points but until Miami can find a solution he is better than most back ups, better than a few other starters, he just isn't a consistent top 20 QB right now. And I will give him some slack for poor coaching and leadership. He needs a coach he can truly respect. He needs some tough love and I want the Phins to make sure they find that for him. But that would require leadership to think forward and we have none.

In reading this thread it looks like you Miami homers would not be thrilled with a Gase hire. I understand that he captained the 23rd best offense (ppg), but as a Chicago homer, what he did with the injuries at WR/TE/RB, Jay, deteriorating line and "handcuff" game plan that Foxy likes to run was pretty solid.

I am curious to see what he does in Miami (if he goes there). I think it is great news for Tannehill and the Wr's. He is really creative and smart. Remember he is just one year removed from captaining the #2 offense in Denver (ppg). That was with noodle armed Peyton, and Foxy (again) handcuffing him a bit. Still, he has never complained and always acted professionally under Fox. That's another perk.

Too bad they will be a train wreck until they get an owner who can create an organization that is not filled with dysfunction.

Gase was #1 on Stephen Ross list...shoulda been a red flag.

Just wash rinse repeat with the Phins right now. They decided not to hire potential candidates with Super Bowl rings, trips to the Super Bowl...no no no we're good we know what we're doing.

Gase will be forced in 2-3 years and I'm sure Miami fans are going to get frustrated quickly. He has no idea what a defense is and we have tried OC/QB guys the last 7-8 years and it hasn't worked.

This hiring does nothing to make me feel we are turning a corner. Wish Gase nothing but success here but I feel like I have seen this story before.

Also Miami had to run and hire 1st b4 others made a move. They seem like Domino#1, not sure that's good.

Have not read through this thread but I'd not be excited about the hire if I was a Dolphins fan.

Other than their failed recent attempts at hiring first time NFL head coaches is something I assume was brought up already regarding Gase is what I view as an overrated resume. Does not mean he'll be bad, just don't trust his resume.

When people call him a QB whisperer it reminds me of when Whisenhunt got that label which I never felt he deserved. Gase was with Peyton and sorry that convinces me of nothing and he got a veteran QB to cut down on the interceptions and learn how to manage the game better but the team was still not good. Again he might be great but that's not a lot for me to go on that he's some kind of QB guru or offensive mastermind.

Have not read through this thread but I'd not be excited about the hire if I was a Dolphins fan.

Other than their failed recent attempts at hiring first time NFL head coaches is something I assume was brought up already regarding Gase is what I view as an overrated resume. Does not mean he'll be bad, just don't trust his resume.

When people call him a QB whisperer it reminds me of when Whisenhunt got that label which I never felt he deserved. Gase was with Peyton and sorry that convinces me of nothing and he got a veteran QB to cut down on the interceptions and learn how to manage the game better but the team was still not good. Again he might be great but that's not a lot for me to go on that he's some kind of QB guru or offensive mastermind.
Someone get this man a beer and a stool.

Bravo!

And roll back to page 1, it's entertaining.

Comments from around the league on Gase . . .

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/01/saban-elway-manning-cutler-discuss-new-dolphins-coach-adam-gase.html#storylink=addthis

Peyton calls him the smartest dude he knows.

Sounds like he's raiding the Bengals staff for assistants . . . Vance Joseph expected to be named DC. Bears QB coach Dowell Loggains is the favorite to fill the offensive coordinator spot.

Going to be a young coaching staff - Gase only 37.

Who knows if it works out? It's always unicorns & rainbows at time of hire - then off a steep cliff from there for Dolphin fans.

As a beleaguered Fins fan I gotta say that no hire among those available would have really excited me personally. At least not with regard to this teams near future. We may have hired the Michelangelo of coaches, but what can Michelangelo do without paint?

The positive I see here is that after years of swinging and missing on our first choices, we did finally get our guy. Doesnt mean he is the right guy, but at least we didnt get turned down 3 times before finally settling on our 4th choice.

As a beleaguered Fins fan I gotta say that no hire among those available would have really excited me personally. At least not with regard to this teams near future. We may have hired the Michelangelo of coaches, but what can Michelangelo do without paint?

The positive I see here is that after years of swinging and missing on our first choices, we did finally get our guy. Doesnt mean he is the right guy, but at least we didnt get turned down 3 times before finally settling on our 4th choice.
IMO they only interviewed candidates they knew would say yes if they decided to offer them the position. I don't think Miami was worried about Gase visiting Philly after he left here.

Miami has a new LB coach already said he would join Gase in Miami, LB coach from Cinci I believe. Maybe he will be the new DC, who knows?

Being reported that Mike Tannenbaum the President of operations here in Miami wanted Dog Marrone.

So basically the owner is calling the shots and Miami will continue to be bottom dwellers.

I hate this team owner.

That's a good point. If you believe the reports, which I tend to do, that he was in demand they got their guy.

Personally, and I know he's old, I thought the team could have used the stability of a guy like Coughlin.

But again I can't say Gase is terrible, just not convinced of the resume or if the environment as a whole is the right fit for such a young fairly low experience coach.

I really respect Gase and think he will surprise a few people. Chicago played better than expected with all the injuries on offense. Cutler says Gase system was the best he ever played in.

Being reported that Mike Tannenbaum the President of operations here in Miami wanted Dog Marrone.

So basically the owner is calling the shots and Miami will continue to be bottom dwellers.

I hate this team owner.
I don't know enough about Gase to have an opinion on him, but you guys dodged a bullet on Marrone. I was hoping the Dolphins would hire him so we would be assured of continuing to sweep you.

I hate this team owner.
I don't know enough about Gase to have an opinion on him, but you guys dodged a bullet on Marrone. I was hoping the Dolphins would hire him so we would be assured of continuing to sweep you.
Got to agree here and say if I was a fan of an NFL team searching for a head coach I'd probably not rest easy until my team hired a coach or someone else hired Marrone.

I like the hire. None of the choices were very exciting. Everything I've read about him was positive. I'm most interested to see the staff he is able to assemble, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Being the first HC hired you would think he'd get the choice of the top available assistants. Hopefully he is able to help Tanneyhill develop since were kind of stuck with him for a while.

I am a Bears fan and I feel really bad for Adam Gase. Why in the world would you take this job? A crappy, meddling owner, a terrible organization, and a QB who probably will be a back up in a couple of years. I don't think anyone can succeed in Miami with the situation as it is, Tannehill, the GM, the owner, and the general organization dysfunction. Gase was supposedly one of the highly sought after prospects, and should have had his choice of jobs. I was hoping he would go to Tennessee, Philly, or the Giants. I hope he get's another opportunity after he gets fired from this job. He is a bright guy, but he made a big mistake taking this job. I was hoping McDaniels would go to Miami. I don't like McDaniels and I will enjoy watching him fail on his next head coaching job.

Gruden was the HC in Oakland first.
Was referring to Jay, not John.I'm OK with the Gase hire. It will give us a little something to be excited about going into 2016, but my expectations of long term success aren't so great.

I am a Bears fan and I feel really bad for Adam Gase. Why in the world would you take this job? A crappy, meddling owner, a terrible organization, and a QB who probably will be a back up in a couple of years. I don't think anyone can succeed in Miami with the situation as it is, Tannehill, the GM, the owner, and the general organization dysfunction. Gase was supposedly one of the highly sought after prospects, and should have had his choice of jobs. I was hoping he would go to Tennessee, Philly, or the Giants. I hope he get's another opportunity after he gets fired from this job. He is a bright guy, but he made a big mistake taking this job. I was hoping McDaniels would go to Miami. I don't like McDaniels and I will enjoy watching him fail on his next head coaching job.
He's 37 years old, they just gave him a 5 year contract with the final say over the roster, and he gets to live in Miami. Even if the team had no talent at all (which isn't the case), I can think of worse places to be.

I really respect Gase and think he will surprise a few people. Chicago played better than expected with all the injuries on offense. Cutler says Gase system was the best he ever played in.
And Cutler is where on the list of NFL QBs or the NFL totem pole? I wish I could be as excited or have faith like you do. I could care less what Jay Cutler thinks of the guy we are hiring as HC. I was more concerned about what the players who are on the Miami Dolphins think and so far I haven't heard much.

Miami needed a guy with experience and there were plenty of candidates. Maybe Gase would be good on another team but I don't think it will end well in Miami and I think Gase could be Cam Cameron 2.0 and if not in 1 season, certainly by the 2nd there will be plenty of rumbles.

I hate this team owner.
Marrone beat us with a 3rd string QB not once but twice. What was your record when Marrone left? 9-7 How much did Rex improve things? I wanted Rex last season when they should have fired Philbin. Guy has been to 2 AFCC, that's what this organization needs.

I'm sure the rest of the division is fat n happy tonight, another idiot hired by Miami to be shown the door in 18 months. 9 coaches in 11 years, what an era to be a Phin. Never in my life did I envision this.

And it's all on the owner, he has had almost a decade to get his spit together and it's like a 16 year old kid...13 year old kid trying to drive the car. It's just not working.

I would have been OK with Marrone, Miami went out and made one of the worst hires they could and Mike Tannenbaum wants his paycheck so he says YES SIR to Mr Ross. And that's how MT keeps his job after next season or even the one after...

"Mr. Ross I wanted to hire somebody else if you remember" and the owner loves the fact that he is ultimately making the decisions which in turn is horrendous for us fans that actually want the team to win and don't look at Sundays at the stadium as "networking" time as others do.

You all have had a couple eras both Pre-Kelly and Post-Kelly so you know what it's like but I also feel you don't have a true grasp of just how mismanaged this team is. It is embarrassing.

Bartender! Get him a beer on me please

It's hard to hear and part of me wants to be like other fans and bite back but how can I? It's all true :suds:

Bartender! Get him a beer on me pleaseIt's hard to hear and part of me wants to be like other fans and bite back but how can I? It's all true :suds:
MOP- I have no expectations. We've lost with Jimmy Johnson. And Saban. We had our most succesful teams in the last generation with Dave Wanstadt for Christ sake. Its bizarro world.

I think an actual horse whisperer would help Tannehill more than another QB guru. But I'll be damned if I don't like this move.

Bartender! Get him a beer on me pleaseIt's hard to hear and part of me wants to be like other fans and bite back but how can I? It's all true :suds:
MOP- I have no expectations. We've lost with Jimmy Johnson. And Saban. We had our most succesful teams in the last generation with Dave Wanstadt for Christ sake. Its bizarro world.

I think an actual horse whisperer would help Tannehill more than another QB guru. But I'll be damned if I don't like this move.
The interview tonight, he did not come across well at all IMO. Everyone including Omar Kelly is very skeptical of what he can on defense. he already announced that he is calling the plays during the game so there is no need for an OC. In fact just that statement tells me everything I need to know about this guy. He wants to be the OC with a HC salary.

It's going to be wash rinse repeat in 2 years. I'm so close to just throwing in the towel until new ownership or a transfer of power, if Miami is not the worst run franchise in the NFL then they are very close. I understand the Browns but their owner just got their a year or two ago IIRC, no more than 3-4. Ross has had almost a decade and he continues to show he is not made for the NFL.

It's a hobby and he is enjoying the fruits of his money but that doesn't mean I need to continue to support a product that I simply keep praying will get better but nothing happens.

Jeez, MoP. Give it a rest. We get that you love Coughlin and would hate anyone without a long resume. Gase is here and let's see what we have before we lynch him. I am fine if you feel forced by this to shed your Dolphin allegiance. If the alternative is listening to you posting more whining comments than everyone else in the thread combined, I wish you well as a Bills fan.

MOP- I have no expectations. We've lost with Jimmy Johnson. And Saban. We had our most succesful teams in the last generation with Dave Wanstadt for Christ sake. Its bizarro world.I think an actual horse whisperer would help Tannehill more than another QB guru. But I'll be damned if I don't like this move.
The interview tonight, he did not come across well at all IMO. Everyone including Omar Kelly is very skeptical of what he can on defense. he already announced that he is calling the plays during the game so there is no need for an OC. In fact just that statement tells me everything I need to know about this guy. He wants to be the OC with a HC salary. It's going to be wash rinse repeat in 2 years. I'm so close to just throwing in the towel until new ownership or a transfer of power, if Miami is not the worst run franchise in the NFL then they are very close. I understand the Browns but their owner just got their a year or two ago IIRC, no more than 3-4. Ross has had almost a decade and he continues to show he is not made for the NFL.

It's a hobby and he is enjoying the fruits of his money but that doesn't mean I need to continue to support a product that I simply keep praying will get better but nothing happens.
I still think Gase is a couple years away from being a head coach, but the guy is very sharp. I think he'll be fine if the Dolphins are patient. As far as thinking ownership can run their side of things well, I have zero faith in Miami doing that. I expect the Dolphins to fire him in 2 years

Jeez, MoP. Give it a rest. We get that you love Coughlin and would hate anyone without a long resume. Gase is here and let's see what we have before we lynch him. I am fine if you feel forced by this to shed your Dolphin allegiance. If the alternative is listening to you posting more whining comments than everyone else in the thread combined, I wish you well as a Bills fan.
I understand friend, denial was a big part of the process for me. You'll get there.

Gase was met with a lot of questions by those who get paid to cover them so I can rest a little easier knowing I'm not the only one questioning this.

I understand friend, denial was a big part of the process for me. You'll get there.Gase was met with a lot of questions by those who get paid to cover them so I can rest a little easier knowing I'm not the only one questioning this.
You're worried because of his interview?

I don't know enough about Ross to say whether this was a good hire or not, but if I were a Dolphins fan I'd be really worried about such a young first-time Head Coach having so much on his plate--not only his HC duties, but also being the gameday playcaller and having final say on the roster.

Jay Gruden similarly gave himself way too much responsibility year one, and he at least had HC experience at the lower levels which, unless I missed it, Gase doesn't. Its obviously not the same but it gives you an idea about running the whole show and seeing the big picture. Gruden didn't start to get the hang of this HC thing until he delegated his QB tutoring responsibilities to a dedicated QB coach, allowed his OC to have more control during the week and on gameday, and he's never had to worry about final say on the roster. And he still needed his QB to totally blow up to find success this year.

Now maybe Gase is a better fit than Gruden or smarter and more suited to being a young HC...but Gruden serves as a cautionary tale. He didn't start to succeed a little until he stepped back, learned to delegate things, and took on more of an oversight and CEO role over the coaching staff, allowing him to equally watch all parts of the roster and really manage the personalities in the locker room. Gase seems to be giving himself WAY too much to do, especially this early and with his lack of experience.

GordonGekko said:
Why in the world would you take this job?
unlike Cutler, his personal life isn't a gigantic mess.
Please unpack this.

Seems happily married, 3 kids. In spite of being married to a psuedo celeb, his name is rarely in the press.

Outside of the preventable diseases that will soon be running rampant through his house, and the smoking habit, there's nothing about him that suggests his personal life is a gigantic mess.

GordonGekko said:
Why in the world would you take this job?
There's a QB1 who is young enough and has the tool set to give you potential Top 5 production for the next decade. Whether Tannehill reaches that or not, no one can say, but the talent is there, the work ethic is there, unlike Cutler, his personal life isn't a gigantic mess.

There are shades of having a decent pair or WRs, one a potential WR1 and the other a strong perimeter WR2 type. Jordan Cameron is talented, but sadly injury prone. Jay Ajayi looks explosive at times. There are some decent young building blocks here.

There's enough help along the defensive line to offer some stability going forward. The defense needs a lot of help, yes, but the defensive line isn't a gutted unit.

That Suh contract is going to hurt this team far more than what Gase does or does not do for the next few seasons.

If Adam Gase gets Tannehill to be a CONSISTENT Top 5 QB1 and can adjust on offense, handle the media and manage the game clock, he is an excellent hire.

If he can keep Tannehill shading a little above the Top 10 and keep the offense moving even against tough defenses, but has some early struggles with the press and managing the game clock, he'll be a moderate hire.

His job is to get Tannehill going. He does that, he does that at an excellent rate, a lot of the other issues will take care of themselves. Tannehill produces and becomes that lock down franchise core, the media will ease back on him, the game situations and game flow will be more forgiving for a young head coach. You are moving and protecting the ball and chewing up clock and setting up the other side with good field position, you are helping your defense out.

On the plus side, as a young coach and a new coach, he'll get a honeymoon period of about a season, which is pretty standard in a situation like this. A lot of the offensive pieces are in place for him, so any learning curve on the personnel side can be muted for at least a season.

He didn't come to Miami because Stephen Ross is inept, he came because this team actually has a decent rebuilding situation set up for a young coach. If you want to doom and gloom, look at the Suh contract first, which had nothing to do with Gase.

People can't have it both ways. You can't have culture change in a long suffering franchise without changes that are going to make people feel uneasy at times. It should make people feel uneasy, the situation is called a rebuild for a reason. If you want to see a truly UNEASY situation, look at the Browns, that's a team that has doom and gloom hanging over it.

Ministry of Pain, all you do is parrot what boils down to commute time shock jock sports radio. I can't say in the decade I've been here, that I've ever seen you with one actual independent thought that formulates into actual football analysis. You did the same thing during BullyGate, just throw your arms around and screaming at the top of your voice like it was the 2nd act of a modern Greek tragedy. ( The guy who did the report actually saved quite a few jobs and careers that didn't need to burn at the stake, nothing he could do to save Campbell and Incognito though, you seemed to just miss that, I just don't know how) I don't think you understand what coaching prospects with choices are actually looking for in a job situation.
As a lifelong Floridian from the city of Miami and a season ticket holder for many any years I think I have a clue what is happening. I am not a Miami fan sitting in Sacramento, CA complaining. I get to interact with actual Miami front office brass through many local charities and events by virtue of my wife working in fundraising.

The reason I act like a 2nd act of a Greek Tragedy is because it is. A once proud franchise has gone thru 2 onwerships now that really didn't know much about what they were doing. Wayne Hueizinga really was not a stellar owner but he tried and his ego was in check.

He never said Miami was a 1st class organization because Wayne didn't have to even though he wasn't a great owner. Dumbo is so bad as the owner that he must make periodic announcements that we are a good team and franchise, it's pathetic.

And anyone that wants to take pot shots at me, go read page 1. I break down the salary cap, players, the front office, owner, give it a rest/ You all post 1 snide remark and then you are on your way.

And Gekko, I could say the same. There was a Gekko that had the avatar to match but you ain't him. Those FFA threads were epic but again you ain't him so I will take it with a grain of salt but I really do not care if you like what I type or not. There is an ignore function and you are welcome to use it but the cold hard reality is that most of you who complain are like the folks who hate Howard Stern but listen twice as long as his real fan base to hear what he says next.

I'll take the shock jock description as a compliment, it's hard to get that kind of reputation. :thumbup:

My least favorite team in the league is the Dolphins. For this reason, I am very much in favor of them hiring Wonderboi Adam Gas (AKA WAG). WAG is doing nothing more than riding the hype train, and for how smart everyone says he is, he certainly is not showing it now because there are way better jobs available this year, and next year there could be some amazing jobs in play (Cowboys, Packers, L.A Rams)!!!

Because of the Suh contract, the Fins are going to have to cut good players and they have a GM who is not good at drafting. Not only that, but their qb is in the bottom third of the league. All of his intangibles are negative. Pouty, very little poise, not respected in the locker room.

This is going to be great to watch!!!! Thank you Stephen Ross: LONG LIVE WAG!!!!!!!!!

The hire is what it is. I cant judge until we see a full season.

What I can judge is the ownership, front office and QB.

The future is grim as long as thise three things remain the same.

I hope this new coach does have final say on the Roster. Then we can truly judge him. Because this roster has some talent, but too many gapping holes:

QB

OL

LB

CB

Long way to go.

I would have loved the idea of McDaniels but you don't hear his name being mentioned anywhere. One obviously has to think maybe it's what Gatorman said and he has a handshake deal to take over the Patriots and he isn't even interested in interviewing. If that is the case my first choice would have been Hue Jackson, managed to go 8-8 with the dumpster fire that is the Raiders in his one season before being let go. Seems to have worked well with Andy Dalton who reminds me a little of Tannehill.

That said Gase was a hot name last year and this so while they may well have gotten it wrong they are likely not the only team that would have taken him. And I like the idea of a younger staff with this team that is rebuilding weather you want to use that term or not. In the NFL that can be done in a couple seasons. I had no desire for Shanny or Coughlin, we'd just be going through this again in 3 or 4 years when they retire. At least with a young core there is a chance you keep them together. The fact that no mention was ever made of hiring Chip Kelly or even interviewing is a positive, because that is the type of splash I would have expected Ross to try and make.

MOP you make a lot of good points about the front office but I'm not sure about your love with Rex. Yes he took teams to two straight AFC championships but they didn't win the division either year however, they over achieved in the playoffs and after that went on a down hill spiral. Bowles came in and took Rex's 4-12 team to 10-6 while Rex has seemed to take the Bills a step back and now has hired his idiot brother. Being in the Philly area but never an Eagles fan I enjoyed the Buddy Ryan era, the guy had that special something but his sons are not the same. To me had they hired Rex last year (while firing Philbin would have been fine) it would have really shown the front office to be more concerned with just making a splash and not making good football decisions.

One thing I will always hand to Rex is his players will run through walls for him. Couple him with a savvy GM who knows how to draft and sign key budget free agents and he can take a team very far.

I hope Gase is a wonder boy and can turn this ship around. But I want to knowing he truly had the final say on all players on this team. There are so many chefs in the Dolphins kitchen and no clear chain of command. It's infruiating. Is Gase the end all be all on how this team will be constructed? And that Suh contract.....oh my aching ###. We are hamstrung. We are going to lose arguably our best playmaker and most explosive player in Lamar Miller. And while I like Ajayi, he has to show he can stay healthy. Lamar has preen quite durable.

I really hope we can retain Lamar. Kid can be a star with better schemes and coaching. I can't say that about Tannehill though. I have seen enough. He is an average talent.

Lol. At first I thought you were talking about Cutler. He will no doubt regress without Gase and go back to stinking up the joint. Alshon!!!! Get out now!!!

One thing I will always hand to Rex is his players will run through walls for him. Couple him with a savvy GM who knows how to draft and sign key budget free agents and he can take a team very far.

I hope Gase is a wonder boy and can turn this ship around. But I want to knowing he truly had the final say on all players on this team. There are so many chefs in the Dolphins kitchen and no clear chain of command. It's infruiating. Is Gase the end all be all on how this team will be constructed? And that Suh contract.....oh my aching ###. We are hamstrung. We are going to lose arguably our best playmaker and most explosive player in Lamar Miller. And while I like Ajayi, he has to show he can stay healthy. Lamar has preen quite durable.

I really hope we can retain Lamar. Kid can be a star with better schemes and coaching. I can't say that about Tannehill though. I have seen enough. He is an average talent.
You Dolphin fans are an angry lot. Tannehill will be on his fourth Offensive Coordinator in 2016. It will be his 5th season. He's endured some of the worst offensive line play in the league. The organization has been a complete mess with bullygate etc. His HC turned out to be a real tool, and didn't support his QB.

I find this to be a truly amazing story:

Rotoworld:

According to the Miami Herald, former Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin wanted the team to draft Derek Carr in the first round to replace Ryan Tannehill in 2014.

Philbin was overruled by former GM Dennis Hickey, who took OT Ja'Waun James instead. According to beat reporter Armando Salguero, Tannehill was "starved for help and support" but never got any from Philbin. Whenever "things got sideways" during his tenure in Miami, Philbin would privately blame Tannehill for the team's shortcomings. Philbin even resented Tannehill's friendship with Dan Marino, who was brought in as a special advisor in 2014. Philbin's aloofness toward Tannehill certainly contributed to Miami's dysfunction last year. Tannehill is in a much better environment now with Adam Gase as the head coach.

Related: Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins

Source: Miami Herald

Jan 10 - 11:37 AM
There is no more difficult position to play in all of sports than a NFL QB. Its hard when you have all the pieces in place set up for you to succeed. Tannehill hasn't had a shred of that to date. There is legitimate reason to think that Gase is the real deal, and is a great hire for Tannehill. The Dolphins also for the first time in Tannehill's tenure may have some quality options at the WR position that can actually help Tannehill. (Parker >>>>Wallace in this regard.) Landry is a nice chain mover, but Parker should be able to provide a downfield threat to open up the offense. Look at how Randall Cobb did without Jordy Nelson this year. Parker should also provide a nice wingspan and high point ability that many other NFL QBs enjoy. Wallace had little ability to adjust to a under thrown deep ball.

IMO Gase was the hottest coaching candidate this year. He chose the Dolphins because he sees that they are not that far away from a turnaround. Tannehill/Landry/Parker can be the foundation for a good offense. They just need a stable environment in which to work, and a quality offensive line. (which IMO, the Dolphins should and will prioritize this offseason).

I would have loved the idea of McDaniels but you don't hear his name being mentioned anywhere. One obviously has to think maybe it's what Gatorman said and he has a handshake deal to take over the Patriots and he isn't even interested in interviewing. If that is the case my first choice would have been Hue Jackson, managed to go 8-8 with the dumpster fire that is the Raiders in his one season before being let go. Seems to have worked well with Andy Dalton who reminds me a little of Tannehill.

That said Gase was a hot name last year and this so while they may well have gotten it wrong they are likely not the only team that would have taken him. And I like the idea of a younger staff with this team that is rebuilding weather you want to use that term or not. In the NFL that can be done in a couple seasons. I had no desire for Shanny or Coughlin, we'd just be going through this again in 3 or 4 years when they retire. At least with a young core there is a chance you keep them together. The fact that no mention was ever made of hiring Chip Kelly or even interviewing is a positive, because that is the type of splash I would have expected Ross to try and make.

MOP you make a lot of good points about the front office but I'm not sure about your love with Rex. Yes he took teams to two straight AFC championships but they didn't win the division either year however, they over achieved in the playoffs and after that went on a down hill spiral. Bowles came in and took Rex's 4-12 team to 10-6 while Rex has seemed to take the Bills a step back and now has hired his idiot brother. Being in the Philly area but never an Eagles fan I enjoyed the Buddy Ryan era, the guy had that special something but his sons are not the same. To me had they hired Rex last year (while firing Philbin would have been fine) it would have really shown the front office to be more concerned with just making a splash and not making good football decisions.
-I guess Gatorman and I share similar views, I also posted McDaniels has a handshake deal and even think BB might retire this season, like in 3-4 weeks. Josh did not interview anywhere and I think it leads me to believe he is staying in NE. Miami wanted to interview him, he declined till after the playoffs and Miami will not wait that long with so many openings.

-I'll keep an open mind with Gase but he looks like a deer in headlights so far. His press conference and after were weak IMO. And he is going to call the plays himself. I guess he cares very little about the defense. I'm worried all he knows is how to run an offense.And I'm not sure he will produce a top5 offense here.

-We have Mike Tannenbaum in place, i believe he was the GM when they went to the AFCC twice in a row. Thought Rex was a better hire than Philbin. Could have fired Philbin in 2014 and gotten Rex. I just think he is a better coach than what we have and his track record proves that. Last game of the season in 2014 vs Jets at home, want to re-watch that game?

I appreciate it SwampDawg, and i want to say to the Phinsfans, it's not my intention to be abrasive and I mean no ill will towards any of you. I have been with this team since I moved back to Miami about the same time Ross took over. I live or have lived just a few minutes form the stadium and I have watched first hand a complete ruin of this team and a slow erosion to where we are now.

If you are outside of South Florida, I encourage you to fin 790AM The Ticket, plenty of podcasts of different local media and radio hosts. I don't find them all to be shock jocks, most are highly intelligent.

Cheers

The chain starts and ends with Ross which is scary. Tannenbaum wanted Marrone, just keep that tucked away in the back for a year or two down the road.

You Dolphin fans are an angry lot. Tannehill will be on his fourth Offensive Coordinator in 2016. It will be his 5th season. He's endured some of the worst offensive line play in the league. The organization has been a complete mess with bullygate etc. His HC turned out to be a real tool, and didn't support his QB.

I find this to be a truly amazing story:

Rotoworld:

According to the Miami Herald, former Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin wanted the team to draft Derek Carr in the first round to replace Ryan Tannehill in 2014.

Philbin was overruled by former GM Dennis Hickey, who took OT Ja'Waun James instead. According to beat reporter Armando Salguero, Tannehill was "starved for help and support" but never got any from Philbin. Whenever "things got sideways" during his tenure in Miami, Philbin would privately blame Tannehill for the team's shortcomings. Philbin even resented Tannehill's friendship with Dan Marino, who was brought in as a special advisor in 2014. Philbin's aloofness toward Tannehill certainly contributed to Miami's dysfunction last year. Tannehill is in a much better environment now with Adam Gase as the head coach.

Related: Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins

Source: Miami Herald

Jan 10 - 11:37 AM
There is no more difficult position to play in all of sports than a NFL QB. Its hard when you have all the pieces in place set up for you to succeed. Tannehill hasn't had a shred of that to date. There is legitimate reason to think that Gase is the real deal, and is a great hire for Tannehill. The Dolphins also for the first time in Tannehill's tenure may have some quality options at the WR position that can actually help Tannehill. (Parker >>>>Wallace in this regard.) Landry is a nice chain mover, but Parker should be able to provide a downfield threat to open up the offense. Look at how Randall Cobb did without Jordy Nelson this year. Parker should also provide a nice wingspan and high point ability that many other NFL QBs enjoy. Wallace had little ability to adjust to a under thrown deep ball.

IMO Gase was the hottest coaching candidate this year. He chose the Dolphins because he sees that they are not that far away from a turnaround. Tannehill/Landry/Parker can be the foundation for a good offense. They just need a stable environment in which to work, and a quality offensive line. (which IMO, the Dolphins should and will prioritize this offseason).
Appreciate the optimism from one who I assume is not a Fins homer. Its good to know that there are some out there who actually believe in this offense's potential. I have personally divested myself of all players in this offense except Lamar, who I am anticipating will be playing in another offense next season.

Tough to blame Philbin for wanting to draft Carr. Seems like he saw what many of us refused to see - early on. I can't imagine it was personal. Philbin's career was dependent upon the success of this team. If he thought 17 was the guy, why would he want to spend a valuable pick to replace him? Say what you will about Philbin, but it sounds like he saw the Tannehill train wreck coming long before the rest of the football world.

Your post brings up some valid points, but as a fan of the team who watches every play, I will elaborate on a few:

1. The OL does stink, but a great deal of the sacks were on Tannehill. No pocket presence, weak instincts, and an inability to get rid of the ball. We were spoiled with Marino, who was excellent at all of those things. Tannehill is severely deficient in those areas.

2. 4 OC in 5 seasons - that is a grotesque stat. Possible that 17 is a big part of the reason? I dont think anyone super special lost their jobs, but I also think 17 was a big reason why none of the offenses worked. Nobody wants to give him the power to audible. Why is that? It has been consistent with each coordinator. Tough to win in the NFL with a QB who is incapable of reading defenses to the point where no OC will allow him to audible. Also, tough to keep your job when it is tied to the success of the same QB that you cannot trust.

3. They will prioritize the OL this year. Well, we have been saying this for 5 years now and it still stinks. Signed Branden Albert, a few free agents, and drafted a bunch of day 1 and 2 guys. Maybe James will pan out at RT. None of the guards we drafted/signed are worthy of starting. We have still got zero (literally, zero) depth at OT. We have a great center. Thats all we have to show for 5 years of prioritizing the OL. Plus, now we have so many other needs (2-3 LBs, 2 CBs, Safety, DE) that its tough to continue to prioritize the OL. Add in the fact that we are in salary cap hell, and it makes it even tougher.

In short, I believe that your optimism can be sold to those who dont follow this team closely. As such, use it to move players on this offense if you own them. Its not going to get better here for a long time. Just the harsh reality of the situation. Its likely going to get worse, this year IMO, then next year we will probably see a rookie QB take over.

Users who are viewing this thread