What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Next NFL City in North America (1 Viewer)

sushinsky4tsar

Footballguy
Going a bit off the beaten path here. Apologies in advance if this topic is better placed in the Free for All.

For the longest time, the NFL had an obvious gaping hole in the Los Angeles market to leverage taxpayer subsidized stadiums. The card ultimately gets played when things don't fall the way of ownership in St. Louis and San Diego. Las Vegas emerges from its lengthy blacklist status as a venue for major pro sports and quickly gains the Raiders at the expense of Oakland.

This begs the question, is there a North American market left to play the next round of major stadium upgrades? If so, how many viable markets are there?

As someone who follows the big four, and even the MLS, it feels like there are 6 to 10 vacant markets that could reasonably fit right in with other NBA and NHL cities, given the right ownership groups and arena situation. A lot of these open markets that could work for the NHL, NBA, or even MLB, don't strike me as great options for the NFL. A lot of this is due to the regional footprint of NFL teams that extends much farther geographically and from within than the other leagues. The other component is the viability within these markets of a high-end NFL stadium to host ten games a year compared to a sports arena, or even a ballpark. I can see Salt Lake City building a new arena for the Jazz and Coyotes that both teams would be satisfied with. I can SLC building a ballpark to add MLB for the summer months. I might be proven wrong, but building a multi-billion dollar NFL domed stadium to lure an NFL team doesn't seem nearly as likely for this market. Same can be said of Portland, Sacramento, Oklahoma City, Austin/San Antonio, Memphis, Louisville, Hampton Roads, and a number of others.

Maybe the best place to look for the next market is from the recently fallen:

Oakland - With the 49ers in Santa Clara, I can maybe see a niche for another Bay Area team within the city. But even in a world where Oakland is willing to build, which seems unlikely, could the NFL work here with a team that isn't called the Raiders? I don't get the sense that an Oakland Outlaws team is going to win over any Raiders diehards even if they wear black and try to capture the spirit of the blackhole. My perception is that diehard Oakland Raiders fans either swore off the NFL or (more likely) continue to follow the Raiders in Las Vegas. Maybe a very small faction turned to the 49ers? Is this perception wrong? If the Raiders couldn't survive in Oakland, I can't see a non-Raiders team working.

San Diego - I see SD as slightly more viable than Oakland. Would a San Diego Chargers fanbase embrace a relocated or expansion team? Similar to the Raiders, I would imagine that any diehards just continue to follow the Chargers, make the occasional trip to SoFi, and dream of a day where they might come back. I'm sure there's some level of demand for the return of the Chargers. A San Diego Gulls expansion franchise or relocation from middle America seems far fetched. Maybe a new team in SD becomes more viable with time.

Saint Louis - I think this is the top North American market out there bar none. A fact that might make the NFL scared enough to keep cultivating its international markets. They obviously have a viable temporary home. I don't think there's any real talk of a stadium plan to lure a team back. I don't think STL is a must-have market in the NFL's eyes. However, I doubt there's any US metro area of this size that feels a bigger hole in their heart for a home team. I'm sure there's plenty of St. Louis Rams fans that continue to follow the LA Rams. I get the sense that the retention rate was nowhere near the level of SD Chargers and Oakland Raiders fans due to the move half-way across the country. Maybe a few pushed allegiances towards Indy? Maybe a few more went to the enemy cross state given their success? I would imagine that most St. Louis football fans would come home to a St. Louis home team.

Am I wrong that St. Louis is the most obvious market amongst the recently departed? Top destination within the U.S. if an owner can get a new stadium deal done? What about North America? I can definitely see the NFL being more excited about picking up Toronto. Is it true that the Bills have all the power they need to ensure this never happens, short of someone with very deep pockets making an offer they can't refuse?

If Toronto can make a go of it, would Vancouver be viable? I think they might have the same issue as Portland. A strong allegiance to the Seahawks amongst the NFL fans that are already there. Montreal? Personally, I think both of these would be lesser options to St. Louis. If it's possible, it's hard to imagine Toronto not being the first Canadian team.

Does Mexico City present the NFL with too many problems to be worthwhile in this decade? I have a feeling permanent teams in London and Germany might happen first.

Which city do you think makes the most sense, North American or otherwise? Railing against any further expansion isn't needed for this discussion. At some point, an existing team is going to need a new stadium and a credible threat to go with it.

St Louis, hands down.

Heck, their UFL team draws 40,000 fans! It’s crazy.

And didn’t the Rams idiot owner already get StL to pony up for a new stadium a decade ago before he then up and left a few years later?

Back in the late 90s / early 2000s Red McCombs days, the San Antonio Alamodome was the implied threat for us MN Vikings fans. It would work for a temporary home, but obviously nothing more than that in 2024.

Austin might make more sense than San Antonio at this point, and the transplant population might actually help their case in some ways. I can see a streak of independence within that region to create enough demand for an NFL team of their own. With Longhorns football, an NHL or NBA team might make a lot more sense here.

Is it incorrect to say that Portland would never happen because of the Seahawks (among other factors)? Same for Vancouver?

Beyond being small, Is it incorrect to say that OKC is too closely tied to the Dallas Cowboys to ever get their own?

How about Sacramento given 49ers and Raiders allegiances?

Toronto is just an hour from Buffalo, and 1/4 - 1/3 of Buffalo's stadium is filled w Canadians each Sunday.

Zero chance they ever allow a team in Toronto. And unless the tailgating rules change, it'd somewhat stink anyways.

Put the Chargers back in San Diego.
I would rather see this than adding any more teams.

Unfortunately for San Diego, I don't think they're available. Maybe Spanos has an out from SoFi at some point. At $5.5 billion, I'm guessing that 20 NFL home game per season were secured for the foreseeable future.

As a fan of the NFL, and having no ties to the team or the area, I agree that it's a more interesting league with one team in LA and another in SD. Heck, the same could probably be said of having Jets and Giants in separate venues, but I don't think that's happening any time soon either.

Any SD Chargers fans flat out quit the team as a result of the relocation? Same question for Oakland Raiders fans.

I always thought the Chargers could have made a softer landing for their former base by going with California or SoCal branding. But maybe that's screwy enough that even San Diego Chargers fans prefer the LA Chargers name.

If I'm at a fantasy draft and somebody asks me what team Gus Edwards is on, I always just say San Diego rather than clarify which Los Angeles team.
Is it hard to say “the Chargers”? ;)

Brilliant. The context might be more along the lines of going down NFL team bye weeks by city. LAC comes up, and my brain short circuits, not computing what the hell the Clippers are doing here. Immediately falls back to 'San Diego' instead of shifting to team name. :-) For some reason, I feel like I'm more likely to go team name with the Raiders.

Texas is tier one. Community involvement and borderline obsession for high school football and there's a big gap between whatever state is second.
The colleges are impressive too. Also possibly more interest than any other state. Followed with the NFL teams there. Football is part of life in Texas.
Texas has enough NFL teams.
A lot of Texans move to Oklahoma. Oklahoma has their own brand of this n that and argue they're better than Texas blah blah blah.
Oklahoma is in tier two. There are many towns with a similar obsession. There are high school teams (Google Jenks) with a better practice facility than you'd every imagine...on and on.
Oklahoma State, Tulsa, and Sooners have sent a ton of players to the NFL and have tons of fan support. During the draft a graphic about where NFL players were from, Oklahoma was top ten. Six I think.
Oklahoma would be the easiest untapped market ever for the NFL.

New Jersey.
Whatever discussion comes from that should yield a team. There's already two, what about NYC? Fine. It doesn't even matter where the discussion winds up- there's a gap there that would easily be filled. NYC and sports are famous. People would come from around the world and see games and they already do go to see NYC. An NYC team would even be good for worldwide expansion, sales, and league office stuff.

Germany
As NFLE was dying, Germany would be the last place teams migrated too. Some cool stories of WWII soldiers meeting wives and living there teaching their kids American sports. They have high school and Peewee football. Germans in NFL etc.

Australia fans are weird and idk the answer. They either love the NFL and are obsessed or hate that it's not their game. The Supe always has surprisingly high amount of viewers there so I'd guess it'll work.

Brazil. The NFL is going there this year. I didn't know it's one of the more populated places on earth. I've already heard stories of how they love American football. Also they're an enormous problem for fake gear showing a big interest there also

32 teams is plenty, I don't want to see expansion. I'd be ok with mixing up the divisions again, or a team relocating to St. Louis, or San Antonio, or Memphis (I'm thinking of NBA cities without an NFL team...Portland?).

One thing I've always wondered though - Teams in a shared state/city/market are often split between NFC & AFC:

NYC/NJ: Giants (N) and Jets (A)
LA: Rams (N) and Chargers (A)
TX: Cowboys (N) and Texans (A)
PA: Eagles (N) and Steelers (A)
FL: Bucs (N), Dolphins (A), and Jags (A) but Dolphins and Jags in different divisions

But OH has Bengals and Browns in the same division - why aren't they split? 🤔

Texas is tier one. Community involvement and borderline obsession for high school football and there's a big gap between whatever state is second.
The colleges are impressive too. Also possibly more interest than any other state. Followed with the NFL teams there. Football is part of life in Texas.
A lot of Texans move to Oklahoma. Oklahoma has their own brand of this n that and argue they're better than Texas blah blah blah.
Oklahoma is in tier two. There are many towns with a similar obsession. There are high school teams (Google Jenks) with a better practice facility than you'd every imagine...on and on.
Oklahoma State, Tulsa, and Sooners have sent a ton of players to the NFL and have tons of fan support. During the draft a graphic about where NFL players were from, Oklahoma was top ten. Six I think.

New Jersey.
Whatever discussion comes from that should yield a team. There's already two, what about NYC? Fine. It doesn't even matter where the discussion winds up- there's a gap there that would easily be filled. NYC and sports are famous. People would come from around the world and see games and they already do go to see NYC. An NYC team would even be good for worldwide expansion, sales, and league office stuff.

Germany
As NFLE was dying, Germany would be the last place teams migrated too. Some cool stories of WWII soldiers meeting wives and living there teaching their kids American sports. They have high school and Peewee football. Germans in NFL etc.

Australia fans are weird and idk the answer. They either love the NFL and are obsessed or hate that it's not their game. The Supe always has surprisingly high amount of viewers there so I'd guess it'll work.

Brazil. The NFL is going there this year. I didn't know it's one of the more populated places on earth. I've already heard stories of how they love American football. Also they're an enormous problem for fake gear showing a big interest there also

Texas is tier one, but they have enough teams so you're going with OKC over Austin or San Antonio?

I don't doubt that OKC could and that football is just as big there as it is in Texas. My impression is that it's not entirely untapped, containing a lot of fervent Cowboys fans with a manageable drive for season ticket holders from OKC and points south. Aside from Cowboys allegiances, I'm Just not sure that I see them building the kind of stadium it would take to lure a team. I don't think that a somewhat bare bones outdoor stadium similar to the ones that secured teams in Charlotte and Nashville at the end of the century gets it done in the eyes of the NFL machine anymore.

I kind of view OKC along the lines of Birmingham, as far as a college football hotbed not far down the line from an existing team. Considering the Jags were ultimately able to stick in Jacksonville, both markets might be able to make it work, it just doesn't seem highly likely to move the dial for a team in 2024-2030. I think OKC probably has Birmingham beat in the pecking order, even with one pro team in hand.

32 teams is plenty, I don't want to see expansion. I'd be ok with mixing up the divisions again, or a team relocating to St. Louis, or San Antonio, or Memphis (I'm thinking of NBA cities without an NFL team...Portland?).

One thing I've always wondered though - Teams in a shared state/city/market are often split between NFC & AFC:

FL: Bucs (N), Dolphins (A), and Jags (A) but Dolphins and Jags in different divisions

I think the AFC/NFC split is definitely the NFL's preference in big cities like NY and LA, similar to AL and NL in MLB. I don't think a second NFC team moving in with the Rams would have been on the table, or at least there would have been a realignment to facilitate the split.

I think the split between Dallas-Houston, Pittsburgh-Philly, and the FL cities mostly just worked out that way based on when they came in to the league. Reasons also dating back to the AFL-NFL merger in many cases.

New Jersey.

Germany

Texas is tier one, but they have enough teams so you're going with OKC over Austin or San Antonio?

I don't doubt that OKC could and that football is just as big there as it is in Texas. My impression is that it's not entirely untapped, containing a lot of fervent Cowboys fans with a manageable drive for season ticket holders from OKC and points south. Aside from Cowboys allegiances, I'm Just not sure that I see them building the kind of stadium it would take to lure a team. I don't think that a somewhat bare bones outdoor stadium similar to the ones that secured teams in Charlotte and Nashville at the end of the century gets it done in the eyes of the NFL machine anymore.

I kind of view OKC along the lines of Birmingham, as far as a college football hotbed not far down the line from an existing team. Considering the Jags were ultimately able to stick in Jacksonville, both markets might be able to make it work, it just doesn't seem highly likely to move the dial for a team in 2024-2030. I think OKC probably has Birmingham beat in the pecking order, even with one pro team in hand.
Yes
Definitely Dallas Cowboys fans in Oklahoma but it's often evident that it's not the same passion as Friday night and Saturday.
As far as cities go, Oklahoma probably offers the easiest access to buying land for a stadium so I don't see that as an issue.

Everything about Austin has been fascinating for a decade or so. They seem like they could support just about anything.
I don't know much of San Antonio to comment.

For me, St. Louis is #1 on the power rankings. Austin/San Antonio is #2. I think that area would embrace the idea of having their own team to go up against Dallas, Houston, and New Orleans, even though there would certainly be many maintaining loyalties to the Cowboys and Texans, along with the usual mix of teams that come with transplants. Austin makes the most sense on paper... until Longhorns football enters the equation. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but it might be enough to make San Antonio the favorite for a third TX team. I think they would almost certainly be the temporary home for any relocation that went too fast to build.

I think there's a great case for OKC as the next up from there, but actually think London and Germany might jump the line at that point, logistics complications and all.

I attempted (and failed) to curtail any expansion talk, because it's not that interesting and pretty predictable how that's going to go. At some point, a team coming to the end of their lease is going to come calling for a brand-new, world-class stadium and they're going to need a credible threat. With a stadium plan, I think STL is the no-brainer. Completely empty threat without. Same for San Antonio/Austin, and OKC.

Ironically, Kansas City, KS might be the correct answer to this question, but I don't count that and I'm certainly hoping that Arrowhead stays around for some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bri
I'll do you one better....make it illegal for teams to ask local govt for assistance building stadiums.

Not saying that this is wrong, but it does make me think that prioritizing the international games might be about a little more than just growing the global audience to watch our 32 American teams. I'm not sure how scared they are of such legislative action, but leave it to the NFL to stay one step ahead of any threat to their business model. More than anything, I think they're seeing the number of credible U.S. threats drying up. I'm not sure that St. Louis, San Diego, Austin, or OKC is lining up to hand out a sweetheart deal on the kind of $2B+ stadium that the league is quickly acquiring a taste for, but maybe.

Last edited:
Orlando, because tons of people are coming and going every week, easy place to catch a football game and take the family for a vacation
Not my ideal spot for a vacation but many seem to like it.

Birmingham, another great football city that had a team in the USFL, should be given consideration for an NFL team.

San Antonio, they could support an NFL team and you can never have enough teams in Texas

Orlando, because tons of people are coming and going every week, easy place to catch a football game and take the family for a vacation

It would be a shame if they went with anything other than the Breakers to commemorate the legendary waves that central Florida is well known for.

I know that it was in the conversation for the Jaguars temporary home. As a permanent location, that's really going all-in on a bingo blackout of the state of Florida. I have to think the Bucs would have something to say about this, but maybe 2 hours is far enough away that they don't.

It would be a shame if they went with anything other than the Breakers to commemorate the legendary waves that central Florida is well known for.

I know that it was in the conversation for the Jaguars temporary home. As a permanent location, that's really going all-in on a bingo blackout of the state of Florida. I have to think the Bucs would have something to say about this, but maybe 2 hours is far enough away that they don't.
aka the fictional NFL team on Coach.

aka the fictional NFL team on Coach.
I'm not sure that the writers ever looked at a map on that decision.

Definitely the point of "jumping the shark" for that sitcom.

I don’t see most of those as the same market. Just because Dallas and Houston are in the same state doesn’t make them the same market. Texas is a massive state, both by geography and population. Ditto for Florida — people in J-ville, Tampa and Miami are worlds apart, geographically and culturally.

Ask Browns and Bengals fans if they need to be split. I have a lot of friends from both cities - they would never root for the other team. They aren’t Ohio teams…..they are northern and southern Ohio teams.

Should they really consider already failed cities?
Yes, a lot can change based on ownership, market dynamics, and time.

Atlanta Braves were notoriously a bad draw in their 90's glory years. They moved to the epicenter of their season ticket base in the northern suburbs and are killing it. The NHL will likely give ATL a third chance by following their path in the next round of expansion.

Minnesota's first NHL team was largely a box office disaster.

And most notably, I would consider Baltimore and Cleveland to be vey well supported franchises despite not exactly being known as boom towns anytime in the last 50+ years. I think the hole that was left in STL is commensurate with these cities when they lost their teams.

Ask Browns and Bengals fans if they need to be split. I have a lot of friends from both cities - they would never root for the other team. They aren’t Ohio teams…..they are northern and southern Ohio teams.
I am glad we play the Bengals twice a year but they are not as hated as the Ravens or Steelers around here. As long as we are not playing the Bengals, I would root for them in the playoffs as an Ohio team and as a division/conference team. I actively root against the Steelers and Ravens. at all times for any or no reason.

The NFL doesn't need more Teams.
It would actually benefit from contraction, IMHO.

There aren't enough starter-caliber QB's to go around, and it's been that way for a while...and I don't see that changing.
That's a massive problem, and the only thing that could alleviate it, without contracting, would be a really-o, truly-o Minor/Developmental League.
That needs to happen, like, yesterday.

I like the symmetry of 32 Teams, despite that I think it's too many.
Similarly, 30 Teams was symmetrical too, but still oversaturated.

A 24-Team NFL might be the highest caliber of play, level of competition Professional Sports League in the world.

Unfortunately, short-sighted greed won out over long-term competitive wisdom/economic common sense, years ago.

Maybe I'll start another topic regarding contraction; as in: if the NFL were to contract to 24 Teams, which 8 would be the best candidates for termination?

There will be a team in Europe before there's an expansion team in the USA.

And Portland isn't in the running because it's really a town and not a major city and it's local government is a clusterscrew of epic proportions. They can't agree on anything. The Seahawks playing up the road has nothing to do with it. There are more 49ers' fans here than Seahawks' fans. Portland hates Seattle and vice versa.

Crazy to not go after Mexico City... huge $$$ capability when you consider the NYC and LA markets.
And quite the home field advantage being at such altitude - makes mile high city seem like sea level. Wonder if FGs could be 80 yards. o_O

Metropolitan areaCountryPopulation (2022)
Mexico CityMexico21,804,515
New York CityUnited States19,557,311
Los AngelesUnited States12,872,322
ChicagoUnited States9,274,140

But OH has Bengals and Browns in the same division - why aren't they split?
Not the same market.
You do realize that Pittsburgh is 100 miles closer to Cleveland than Cincinnati.
Detroit and Chicago are about as close as cincy / Cleveland. Heck, Indianapolis and Nashville are almost as close.

which 8 would be the best candidates for termination?
FWIW, lowest attendance;
8​
518,801​
64,850​
-​
9​
651,508​
72,389​
-​
17​
1,170,309​
68,841​
00.0​
9​
580,686​
64,520​
-​
8​
536,684​
67,085​
-​
17​
1,117,370​
65,727​
00.0​
8​
511,606​
63,950​
-​
9​
664,144​
73,793​
-​
17​
1,175,750​
69,161​
00.0​
8​
510,051​
63,756​
-​
9​
629,740​
69,971​
-​
17​
1,139,791​
67,046​
00.0​
9​
567,168​
63,018​
-​
8​
597,978​
74,747​
-​
17​
1,165,146​
68,538​
00.0​
8​
502,912​
62,864​
-​
9​
610,656​
67,850​
-​
17​
1,113,568​
65,504​
00.0​
9​
559,713​
62,190​
-​
8​
551,328​
68,916​
-​
17​
1,111,041​
65,355​
00.0​
8​
494,157​
61,769​

Figure most of those are due to the teams being bad. If we removed the worst 10 teams, that leaves Las Vegas, Tampa Bay, Detroit, then add Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Miami, Pittsburgh and Cleveland among the teams worth discussing.

Somewhat surprising, Carolina was #8 in attendance. Clearly that’s not everything but I think it’s relevant.

And Portland isn't in the running because it's really a town and not a major city and it's local government is a clusterscrew of epic proportions. They can't agree on anything. The Seahawks playing up the road has nothing to do with it. There are more 49ers' fans here than Seahawks' fans. Portland hates Seattle and vice versa.

I think the next relocation probably stays local, but I agree with this premise. I don't think any US market is going to be a priority add for the league. The ones that are viable are probably going to have more value to the league as a relocation option.

If Jacksonville can eventually stick the landing, I don't think there's any reason to discount Portland over its size. Large enough with sufficient wealth and corporate presence to work on paper. But no, I don't get an NFL football culture vibe there. It probably isn't fair, but screwball politics probably has something to do with that perception. I kind of get the same vibe with SLC as a non-fit for the NFL in different way. Too many healthy people out hiking, climbing, or skiing. Need more obese to park their keister on the couch on Sundays :-) Really, I just think other leagues make more sense than the NFL for these two.

Interesting note on the 49ers. I knew they were popular further down the coast, but was under the impression things leaned Seahawks in the north.

I think the next relocation probably stays local, but I agree with this premise. I don't think any US market is going to be a priority add for the league. The ones that are viable are probably going to have more value to the league as a relocation option.

If Jacksonville can eventually stick the landing, I don't think there's any reason to discount Portland over its size. Large enough with sufficient wealth and corporate presence to work on paper. But no, I don't get an NFL football culture vibe there. It probably isn't fair, but screwball politics probably has something to do with that perception. I kind of get the same vibe with SLC as a non-fit for the NFL in different way. Too many healthy people out hiking, climbing, or skiing. Need more obese to park their keister on the couch on Sundays :-) Really, I just think other leagues make more sense than the NFL for these two.

Interesting note on the 49ers. I knew they were popular further down the coast, but was under the impression things leaned Seahawks in the north.

Well, the other question I have on SLC is the Sunday thing - BYU can't play games on Sundays due to religion. I'm guessing the Jazz are able to get around this, but would attendance be an issue on Sundays?

Portland has ONE super wealthy family and I'm not sure the Knight family has any interest in the NFL. Phil's a college fan and at his age, I doubt he wants to try and bring the NFL to Oregon. The other billionaires (all two of them) aren't billionairy enough for the NFL.

There's been a push to bring MLB to Portland but the mere mention of a stadium gets the locals worked up in a tizzy because of *GASP* added traffic. I'm not making this up. I'd put the odds of MLB to Portland at 3% and the NFL to Portland even lower than that. It's just never going to happen here.

Until the Seahawks started winning, you didn't see ANY Seahawks fans here. Once they started winning, you'd see a few come out of the woodworks and into the sports bars but there's no uniformity to it. 49ers, Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos are more popular in Oregon than Seattle.

Maybe I'll start another topic regarding contraction; as in: if the NFL were to contract to 24 Teams, which 8 would be the best candidates for termination?

I definitely nominate whatever team you cheer for, in addition to Penn State from the Big Ten. :wink:

Just kidding. I'm a little salty because I tried to take the expansion component of this off the table. It inevitably leads to a copy-paste of the usual talking points over competition and not enough well run franchises going as it is. And then contraction. Let's start discussing the merits of taking away the favorite team away from one quarter of us. I agree that the NFL would be wise not to fire up expansion anytime soon. Contraction of a league this financially successful is a complete pipedream.

Let's consider cutting down to 24 as a hypothetical. The remaining teams with the 22nd, 23rd, 24th best QBs are still going to be as disgruntled with their team and QB siutation as the fans of the current teams checking in with the 29th-32nd best QBs. I'm guessing that we could probably send a few backup QBs back in time that would actually do very well starting for a team in 1972.

Well, the other question I have on SLC is the Sunday thing - BYU can't play games on Sundays due to religion. I'm guessing the Jazz are able to get around this, but would attendance be an issue on Sundays?

It's a fair question. I think that used to be more of an issue that it is now. I think it's just BYU not playing on Sundays now. Jazz actually didn't play on Sundays either until this year, but apparently had great Sunday attendance this year (I think they might have sold out all of their Sunday games).

Hampton Roads could absolutely support a team, but the individual cities would never work together on a stadium and none of them could afford to build one on their own. The model is shameful though....the NFL/franchise billionaires should be footing the majority of the stadium build costs anyway. Folks getting 10+ million a year to play a game? And then the industry claiming it can't afford to build it's own venues? Makes no snes why we let that happen to start with

Hampton Roads could absolutely support a team, but the individual cities would never work together on a stadium and none of them could afford to build one on their own. The model is shameful though....the NFL/franchise billionaires should be footing the majority of the stadium build costs anyway. Folks getting 10+ million a year to play a game? And then the industry claiming it can't afford to build it's own venues? Makes no snes why we let that happen to start with

My favorite course in h.s. was a sports and entertainment marketing class in which we founded a team and basically played fantasy football.

Still very proud of the Norfolk based Virginia Admirals and their championship run led by Fred Taylor and second-year QB Peyton Manning. One of the assignments required us to write to an NFL team requesting various marketing information and promotional material. For whatever reason, I chose the Carolina Panthers. I suppose proximity and its recent expansion status. They sent me a pack of trading cards featuring their mascot, "Kool Kat". An important lesson was learned that day. Writing letters is 20th century bulls**t.

Hampton Roads has the population and is on enough of an island from the NFL footprint that it could carve out a following as Virginia's team, maybe even poaching a few disenfranchised fans further up north that had enough of Snyder and the rebrand. On the downside, the population is somewhat transient with its military presence.

My favorite course in h.s. was a sports and entertainment marketing class in which we founded a team and basically played fantasy football.

Still very proud of the Norfolk based Virginia Admirals and their championship run led by Fred Taylor and second-year QB Peyton Manning. One of the assignments required us to write to an NFL team requesting various marketing information and promotional material. For whatever reason, I chose the Carolina Panthers. I suppose proximity and its recent expansion status. They sent me a pack of trading cards featuring their mascot, "Kool Kat". An important lesson was learned that day. Writing letters is 20th century bulls**t.

Hampton Roads has the population and is on enough of an island from the NFL footprint that it could carve out a following as Virginia's team, maybe even poaching a few disenfranchised fans further up north that had enough of Snyder and the rebrand. On the downside, the population is somewhat transient with its military presence.
A bunch of retired military stay in the area.

I think Mexico City would be a gold mine for an NFL team.

I'm really not sure which would happen first between Mexico City and London. There are obvious and not so obvious challenges unique to both.

I remember when the Timberwolves were supposed to play the Spurs there in a regular season game 10 years ago. The game was ultimately cancelled due to smoke from a generator fire that couldn't be adequately suppressed in time. Anecdotal, and certainly doesn't mean U.S. pro sports couldn't work there, but a misfortune that somewhat underlies what would give a multi-billion dollar behemoth like the NFL some pause about establishing a permanent franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread