What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Never mind who’s picked 1st in the draft… (1 Viewer)

With pick 1.02 of my fantasy draft

• I’m taking Young. The height/BMI doesn’t bother me.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I’m taking Stroud. Size/arm talent combo

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • I’m taking Young. The Panthers will build around him eventually. Theilen & Marshall will be good

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I’m taking Stroud. The Colts already have better weapons at RB and in the receiving game.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I’m going to take whomever is the 1st QB off the board

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I’m going with someone other than Stroud or Young at 1.02 - will explain below.a

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I’m taking Stroud - I don’t care about the S2

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I’m taking Young - S2 don’t lie

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I didn’t read the instructions, but I didn’t want to be left out

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
I most likely take Richardson because the ceiling is just so high, and QBs hold their value or years anyway so there will be plenty of opportunities to sell if O sense it going the other way
That’s not how it worked out for Zach Wilson, unfortunately.
Okay, but Zach Wilson was the 1.2 pick on the NFL draft so...are we saying he wasn't right around 1.2 in SF drafts? Along with Trubisky.

Mahomes was 1.10 in the NFL draft (Watson was 1.12), where did they go in SF drafts?

No, take Richardson.

That’s a little harsh.

It isn’t always about mismanaging a roster. Cmon. Be better than that.
I'm sorry that you're apparently offended? Bothered? Mildly perturbed? By my comments. Sincerely I am.
None of the above. I just think it’s an unfair projection. QB are hard to come by in SF these days and it’s an obvious false narrative that the only possible reason for a team to need to rely on a rookie passer is gross mismanagement. Cmon.
Is this the team you took over last season? I don't keep a notebook but I know you have more than a few teams and I don't want to try to keep it straight.
No. I have 2 teams. One is a 16-teamer where through trades I now have Fields/TLaw.

I’m referring to the 12-teamer that I went scorched earth rebuild on

However I stand by my premise, not the part that seems harsh because that's not my intent (even though I said "horribly mismanaged").
Again, it’s a needless criticism and clearly a false premise.

I've played SF (or outright mandatory 2 QB) for...jeebus almost 30 years and, IMO being stuck with a rookie, by design as your SF QB, doesn't appear to be a good strategy (on the surface).
Of course it’s not a good strategy. No one said otherwise and certainly not me.

But sometimes not having a great 2nd QB isn’t so much a strategic choice as it is an unavoidable situation.
If you're in that situation it makes Richardson even more of an obvious choice. You need a home run in that case. If you have two decent starters (at least) then a guy like Young or Stroud (or Levis, I guess) is worth a shot to see what happens.
Like I said, I’m starting to lean that way.

About the only other QB I haven’t tried to acquire is D.Watson, who would ruin my track record of building a team with only players I like to root for. 🥹

I most likely take Richardson because the ceiling is just so high, and QBs hold their value or years anyway so there will be plenty of opportunities to sell if O sense it going the other way
That’s not how it worked out for Zach Wilson, unfortunately.
I actually tried to trade for Zach Wilson twice, once after his lacklustre first season, and again in his second season before he properly bombed out. I was QB needy and attempting to get him on the cheap first time for the ‘22 2.01, second time a ‘23 2nd .. no dice. Last offer that came back was Michael Pittman and ‘23 2nd which I obviously rejected. Each league is a little different but you know yourself QBs have crazy value and maintain it for a long time, even for a period when they are potentially bombing out

For one 1st round draft pick, I’ll take the chance on landing a Fields/Hurts esque cheat code

. No one expects Young or Stroud to be viable starters as rookies in SF formats,
:oldunsure: I think it’s fairly likely for either to be top 24 QBs as rookies.
Yeah, I’d expect either / both to be immediate contributors, and not bottom 12 QBs.
In a SF anyone below top 5-7 is a weekly question mark you will likely be deciding between with another QB, or even another skill position guy, if your scoring isn't terribly skewed.

You're not plugging Stroud or Young into your lineup every week unless something has gone wrong or, highly unlikely right.
The statement was about viable starters. Not “locked in stud “.

This is my thought as well. Stroud and Young may turn out to be better NFL QBs, but if we're talking only fantasy, I'd rather shoot for the upside with Richardson. If he falters, you can pivot away from him, just like you can find replacements for Stroud/Young unless somehow one of them explodes (which I'm not banking on).

. No one expects Young or Stroud to be viable starters as rookies in SF formats,
:oldunsure: I think it’s fairly likely for either to be top 24 QBs as rookies.
Yeah, I’d expect either / both to be immediate contributors, and not bottom 12 QBs.
In a SF anyone below top 5-7 is a weekly question mark you will likely be deciding between with another QB, or even another skill position guy, if your scoring isn't terribly skewed.

You're not plugging Stroud or Young into your lineup every week unless something has gone wrong or, highly unlikely right.
The statement was about viable starters. Not “locked in stud “.
So was mine. I'm not knocking drafting rookie QBs, it's a necessity in SF leagues as it is in the NFL. If you have a chance to get one, you absolutely take it.

And of course rookies are in the conversation as "viable" starters because of positional scarcity in SF leagues. But if they are starters for a SF team it's typically because something didn't go right and you need a body. Like having Russell Wilson and/or Jameis Winston on your roster last year, in that case suddenly Kenny Pickett may have value.

I don't see Young or Stroud rising to the level of Mac Jones (the last rookie QB of consequence in his rookie year), let alone Justin Herbert (the last rookie QB to be a stud his rookie year).

In that instance, for 2023 and not knowing the landing spots yet, give me Richardson over any QB in this class.

Long term is a tougher question but I probably still gamble on Richardson and even Hendon Hooker over Young & Stroud for potential high end fantasy production.

There "seems" to be more risk of Richardson flaming out earlier than Young/Stroud, but it's all speculation. The way I look at it is I want to win, I'm taking Richardson; if I want to be middle of the pack, I'm going with Young/Stroud. All that said, I wouldn't want to rely on any of the three guys this year and make sure I already have two solid long-term QB starters in SF.

Anthony Richardson in record time. 1.03 is on the clock.
As the QB1 off the board?

Same question: if he goes to SEA or DET are you still taking him if he sits for a year?
Yes. Upside is just too big. Now if you needed a QB2 and you're a contender, sure I can see taking Young. But Young (or Stroud) are not "can't miss" prospects, and they could fall flat on their face.

I don't see Young or Stroud rising to the level of Mac Jones (the last rookie QB of consequence in his rookie year), let alone Justin Herbert (the last rookie QB to be a stud his rookie year).
Depending on their situations I see both as potentially better than Mac for FF.

But Young (or Stroud) are not "can't miss" prospects, and they could fall flat on their face.
Sure, but if face-falling % chance is a metric we’re concerned about, no one seems to have a better shot at falling on their face than Richardson, who only started 13 games & didn’t look good in a lot of them.

Stroud & Young are either Heisman winners or runners-up, and have long college careers to evaluate. They seem like significantly safer picks, other than Stroud’s inability to play video games & Young’s somewhat unique ability to fit into tiny spaces. 👀

Last edited:
But Young (or Stroud) are not "can't miss" prospects, and they could fall flat on their face.
Sure, but if face-falling & chance is a metric we’re concerned about, no one seems to have a better shot at falling on their face than Richardson, who only started 13 games & didn’t look good in a lot of them.

Stroud & Young are either Heisman winners or runner-ups, and have long college careers to evaluate. They seem like significantly safer picks, other than Stroud’s inability to play video games & Young’s somewhat unique ability to fit into tiny spaces. 👀
Just to play devil's advocate, safe picks at the time sometimes turn out to be anything but that. Mac Jones, for instance, was viewed as safe and he's looking like about a year away from being a career backup.

I think there's a lot of value in looking at the teams they go to. Which organization is going to build a good team, who has the smartest staff, who has the best front office.

Some of these teams are a lot dumber than others, and I think it shows on the field. My favorite tiebreaker between two equally ranked players.

Just to play devil's advocate, safe picks at the time sometimes turn out to be anything but that. Mac Jones, for instance, was viewed as safe and he's looking like about a year away from being a career backup.
Don’t disagree with this.

I hardly think Bryce Young, QB Lilliputian U, is “safe” at 5’10, 190 LBs (and we’ve come full circle!)

Stroud has rushing upside that many are either unaware of or disregarding. He showed plenty of juice with his legs in the Peach Bowl, which, to me, bodes well for his potential FF upside. He’s not ARich rushing by any stretch, but he’s light years ahead of ARich with his arm and accuracy.

I can’t help it - I still think Stroud is the best QB in this draft, for RL & for FF.

O
I think there's a lot of value in looking at the teams they go to. Which organization is going to build a good team, who has the smartest staff, who has the best front office.

Some of these teams are a lot dumber than others, and I think it shows on the field. My favorite tiebreaker between two equally ranked players.
yes, this. I just posted about exactly that in the ARich topic.

Trade down and take whoever is left at QB3
A fine idea. Sadly for me, I was the one who dealt away 1.03 & 1.04, so it would be a little odd to trade back, not to mention highly unlikely those managers would wish to do so.

lol
What was the logic behind getting out of 1.03 and 1.04 while hanging onto 1.02? You had to have someone in mind there. Why not Gibbs there?
The logic was dealing less valuable picks while holding more valuable ones.

1.01 is Bijan

I hold out hope I might still deal 1.02 & a future 1st for a QB.

And if that fails, I get my choice of passers.

ETA: the league in question is SF & unless Zappe starts I have 1 QB. And with Bijan, ETN, & AJD I don’t really need a RB.

Don’t disagree with this.

I hardly think Bryce Young, QB Lilliputian U, is “safe” at 5’10, 190 LBs (and we’ve come full circle!)

Stroud has rushing upside that many are either unaware of or disregarding. He showed plenty of juice with his legs in the Peach Bowl, which, to me, bodes well for his potential FF upside. He’s not ARich rushing by any stretch, but he’s light years ahead of ARich with his arm and accuracy.

I can’t help it - I still think Stroud is the best QB in this draft, for RL & for FF.
Then take Stroud if you believe that. I would rather go down with what I believed in at the time.

Trade down and take whoever is left at QB3
A fine idea. Sadly for me, I was the one who dealt away 1.03 & 1.04, so it would be a little odd to trade back, not to mention highly unlikely those managers would wish to do so.

lol
What was the logic behind getting out of 1.03 and 1.04 while hanging onto 1.02? You had to have someone in mind there. Why not Gibbs there?
The logic was dealing less valuable picks while holding more valuable ones.

1.01 is Bijan

I hold out hope I might still deal 1.02 & a future 1st for a QB.

And if that fails, I get my choice of passers.

ETA: the league in question is SF & unless Zappe starts I have 1 QB. And with Bijan, ETN, & AJD I don’t really need a RB.
Depending on your scoring system, RB2 may still be the best use of your draft pick but that's for you to determine.
Honestly, I'm pretty annoyed at all the dynasty podcasts I listen to going WAY OVERBOARD about their perceived value of QBs in SF leagues. Unless your scoring is 6/TD or something else that skews hard toward QB, it's not as critical that you roster 2/3/4/8 starting QBs because you're not getting any advantage out of it.

Caveat: I primarily play in 16-team, multiple copy leagues. QBs just aren't difference-makers after you have one good one. It's a nice bonus to have two, but the scoring systems are really balanced so other positions can compete and beat QBs.

Sure, but if face-falling % chance is a metric we’re concerned about, no one seems to have a better shot at falling on their face than Richardson, who only started 13 games & didn’t look good in a lot of them.

Stroud & Young are either Heisman winners or runners-up, and have long college careers to evaluate. They seem like significantly safer picks, other than Stroud’s inability to play video games & Young’s somewhat unique ability to fit into tiny spaces. 👀
Of course that is true, and I completely understand it. Richardson is a big risk. But if things go right, you can have a Jalen Hurts type player for years that can anchor your QB in superflex.

Plenty of very good college QBs and Heisman winners that couldn't make it big in the NFL.

Think I'd be rooting for Falcons, if I was looking to take Stroud in dynasty. But ARich to ATL would be so much sexier.

Sure, but if face-falling & chance is a metric we’re concerned about, no one seems to have a better shot at falling on their face than Richardson, who only started 13 games & didn’t look good in a lot of them.

Stroud & Young are either Heisman winners or runner-ups, and have long college careers to evaluate. They seem like significantly safer picks, other than Stroud’s inability to play video games & Young’s somewhat unique ability to fit into tiny spaces. 👀
Mac Jones was a very good college QB. But he was playing with NFL talent all around him, throwing to Jeudy and D Smith who were open 24/7. We weren't sure how Jones would do throwing the ball into tight windows or how he would do under pressure. And he hasn't taken that step forward in the NFL.

Mac Jones was a very good college QB. But he was playing with NFL talent all around him, throwing to Jeudy and D Smith who were open 24/7. We weren't sure how Jones would do throwing the ball into tight windows or how he would do under pressure. And he hasn't taken that step forward in the NFL.
Agreed. And to that extent, Young and Stroud are coming from top notch programs. They seem to have better tools than Jones, but no guarantee they can take it to the next level obviously.

If I had the 1.02 I would be trying to trade down to 1.03 or 1.04, but if forced to pick it'd be Young if I needed something safe, Richardson if I can swing for the fences

Could you edit option #3?

I’m taking Young. The Panthers will build around him eventually. Theilen & Marshall will be good

I selected the "other" choice but I need more info. What is your QB status? Do you need someone to start right away? If so that will be a different answer than I am just picking a guy for the future and depth. So here goes:

• I need a starter: Carolina Selection
  • I need depth with potential to start early next year if jumps out strong: Young
  • I am looking for future. Just depth: Richardson (shoot for the moon)

I also don't mind taking a chance on Hooker depending on where he gets drafted later either

Without knowing landing spots I defaulted to the first QB taken as that seems like the safest bet in long-term dynasty.

Agree AR is the best dynasty prospect assuming semi-traditional scoring systems.

Users who are viewing this thread