What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Never mind who’s picked 1st in the draft… (1 Viewer)

With pick 1.02 of my fantasy draft

• I’m taking Young. The height/BMI doesn’t bother me.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I’m taking Stroud. Size/arm talent combo

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • I’m taking Young. The Panthers will build around him eventually. Theilen & Marshall will be good

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I’m taking Stroud. The Colts already have better weapons at RB and in the receiving game.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I’m going to take whomever is the 1st QB off the board

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I’m going with someone other than Stroud or Young at 1.02 - will explain below.a

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I’m taking Stroud - I don’t care about the S2

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I’m taking Young - S2 don’t lie

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I didn’t read the instructions, but I didn’t want to be left out

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Who’s your pick for QB in SF (dynasty)?

If you have the 1.02 and are planning a QB does landing spot matter? Does size matter? Are we still doing phrasing? :oldunsure:

If you don’t have the 1.02, pretend you did for the purposes of this topic. And if you don’t play SF, just change the scenario to “1st QB off the board in FF rookie drafts” and it still works.

Let’s say the top 2 are still Young & Stroud. Let’s also go with the current consensus that Young is pick 1.01 to the panthers, and Stroud is pick 1.04 to the Colts.

If you’re taking a QB this year in SF, which are you taking and why?

Read all of the poll choices carefully before making your selection.
eta: changed to multiple choice. Select all you think apply. :pickle:

Last edited:
If it must be a QB, I’m picking Richardson. I’m not sold on any of the QBs this year, so might as well go most bold with a chance to strike unique value.
Does landing spot matter?

Like, if SEA or DET takes ARich, are you ok drafting him to sit?

If it must be a QB, I’m picking Richardson. I’m not sold on any of the QBs this year, so might as well go most bold with a chance to strike unique value.

I don’t love any of the weapons or QBs this year outside of Bijan. Maybe JSN will be ok depending upon landing spot or Addison as well, but Richardson feels like the upside QB2 you’re hoping for in fantasy (better fantasy than NFL because of the rushing yards/TDs).

I don’t love any of the weapons or QBs this year outside of Bijan. Maybe JSN will be ok depending upon landing spot or Addison as well, but Richardson feels like the upside QB2 you’re hoping for in fantasy (better fantasy than NFL because of the rushing yards/TDs).
Well, that’s one opinion.

I think the case for Levis or Richardson are strong. JSN and Gibbs might be too.

Heard a Tannehill comp as a Colts JT/ play action/ crossers with Pittman/ deep to Pierce as an actual plan for Levis. Tannehill always ran in a few too. Low volume, high efficiency with some actual rushing upside.

Richardson least likely to start right off but has an amazing FF ceiling.

If young and Stroud are competent qbs with limited to no rushing upside, what’s their ff comp? Carr? Goff?

Heard today.. go back several drafts and imagine you had a do over with Darnold / Lance and Chase , Smith TLaw seems to be panning out now. Fields still not really locked in. QBs this early are a coin flip.

Sorry, I voted before I read any posts. I suck. :bag:

If Altuve, I mean Young, goes to Carolina, and Stroud goes to Houston, I'd lean Young. I hate that he has a bunch of castoff skill players but in time Carolina should figure it out to get him some real talent. I don't know what Houston is doing besides lose. And F Texas.

If young and Stroud are competent qbs with limited to no rushing upside, what’s their ff comp? Carr? Goff?
IMO Stroud debunked that in the Peach Bowl. He also had a couple college games with solid rushing totals.

I’m convinced that OSU didn’t want him to run, but saying he has limited to no rushing upside seems inaccurate.

If Altuve, I mean Young, goes to Carolina, and Stroud goes to Houston, I'd lean Young. I hate that he has a bunch of castoff skill players but in time Carolina should figure it out to get him some real talent. I don't know what Houston is doing besides lose. And F Texas.
What if it’s Young to CAR & Stroud to INDY?

Who’s your pick for QB in SF?

“I’m taking someone other than Young or Stroud”, you got some ‘splainin to do!
So, the, unstated assumption is Richardson is being taken at #1?

If not, then you have some splainin' to do. Because in SF format, and 1QB format for that matter, Young and Stroud are well behind Richardson in magic football.

But I assume you meant Bijan at #1, so IMO the actual question is Young v Stroud because at #2 the answer is Richardson.

Honestly it's a coin flip between Young & Stroud, neither add much on the ground so...I'll go with heads.

Anthony Richardson in record time. 1.03 is on the clock.
As the QB1 off the board?

Same question: if he goes to SEA or DET are you still taking him if he sits for a year?
Your question implies dynasty format (or some weird contract format) so, yes obviously Richardson. No one expects Young or Stroud to be viable starters as rookies in SF formats, let alone start 1QB leagues so go with the guy who can run like the wind.

Same question: if he goes to SEA or DET are you still taking him if he sits for a year?
Your question implies dynasty format (or some weird contract format) so, yes obviously Richardson. No one expects Young or Stroud to be viable starters as rookies in SF formats, let alone start 1QB leagues so go with the guy who can run like the wind.
Definitely dynasty format.

So you’re taking ARich as the 1st QB off the board in any format, any landing spot?

Also, why wouldn’t Young or Stroud be viable starters in FF?

Definitely dynasty format.

So you’re taking ARich as the 1st QB off the board in any format, any landing spot?
Of course. The later he's drafted the better the team he lands on.

And he doesn't need to be a great QB to be a great fantasy asset.

Yes.

I would actually prefer it. No matter what I wouldn’t want him starting the first part of the season. Saying half the season is arbitrary but would prefer he sit for a bit and find a good spot in the season flow to get him plugged in…not forcing it but if it makes sense. He could do that on either team. But if both teams are playing well it’s a great chance for him to get the Mahomes treatment and just park it for a year.

Also, Seattle is a very good organization and Detroit seems to be earning that reputation. He could do a whole lot worse.

Yes.

I would actually prefer it. No matter what I wouldn’t want him starting the first part of the season. Saying half the season is arbitrary but would prefer he sit for a bit and find a good spot in the season flow to get him plugged in…not forcing it but if it makes sense. He could do that on either team. But if both teams are playing well it’s a great chance for him to get the Mahomes treatment and just park it for a year.

Also, Seattle is a very good organization and Detroit seems to be earning that reputation. He could do a whole lot worse.
What if ARich goes to the colts as an immediate starter? Any concerns the growing pains could ruin him?

What if it’s Young to CAR & Stroud to INDY?
Then I'd lean Stroud.

Yes.

What if ARich goes to the colts as an immediate starter? Any concerns the growing pains could ruin him?

I’d take him regardless of what team he lands on. Just like my investment more if he lands on certain teams.

Was thinking it’s one of these 7, in order of tiered preference:

Detroit, Seattle
Atlanta
Houston
Indy, Tennessee
Oakland

I listed Detroit and Seattle for reasons mentioned earlier but he could sit for awhile and they’re both competent. I actually like Atlanta as a spot of lot, but he would probably play right away. Same with Houston, think DeMeco is the right man for that job and will turn them around.

The other three, meh. Indy has decent weapons and Tennessee has professional coaching, but both have drawbacks. Oakland I just don’t trust McDaniel at all.

Yes.

I’d take him regardless of what team he lands on. Just like my investment more if he lands on certain teams.

Was thinking it’s one of these 7, in order of tiered preference:

Detroit, Seattle
Atlanta
Houston
Indy, Tennessee
Oakland

I listed Detroit and Seattle for reasons mentioned earlier but he could sit for awhile and they’re both competent. I actually like Atlanta as a spot of lot, but he would probably play right away. Same with Houston, think DeMeco is the right man for that job and will turn them around.

The other three, meh. Indy has decent weapons and Tennessee has professional coaching, but both have drawbacks. Oakland I just don’t trust McDaniel at all.
appreciate your (and everyone’s) input.

I still have no idea who the pick should be but I’m warning to the idea of ARich, depending on landing spot. Waldman’s RSP has been rattling around my brain for a hot minute.

Personally, I can’t really afford to wait a year for a starter. I mean, unless NEP comes out and names Zappe the starter so I get a bridge year.

Gonna be interesting to see if ARich is coveted as much by NFL teams as he is by FF heads. I’ve read a couple opinions that he could slide quite a bit when the rubber hits the road, but that, too, could be smokescreen.

I'd honestly go JSN at #2, as long as he ends up in a somewhat functional passing game, even in Superflex.

If forced to go QB, I think Richardson's rushing puts him ahead of the rest of the pack. I also think whoever drafts Richardson isn't sitting him for long, if at all. I'd have QB:
1. Richardson
2. Young
3. Stroud
4. Levis

But I'd have JSN, and probably Gibbs ahead of them any of them.

And he doesn't need to be a great QB to be a great fantasy asset.
I see this statement a lot.

He would seem to have to at least be a good QB to be a long-term FF asset though, no?
Three years is an eternity in the NFL. What are the odds any of the top four QBs in this draft will be long term fantasy relevant?

We'll be lucky if any end up as consistent Cousins/Carr level guys and neither of them are weekly must starts (depending on rosters). That worth 1.2?

The only ones with clear home run potential are Richardson and, IMO, Hooker.

. No one expects Young or Stroud to be viable starters as rookies in SF formats,
:oldunsure: I think it’s fairly likely for either to be top 24 QBs as rookies.
Sure but they're not plug'n'play guys. You're going to be deciding between them and other highly variable options. And, as we all have experienced you'll likely make the wrong choice every week (or at least remember it that way).

Who's the most likely to step up and put up week winning monsters? Young in Carolina? Stroud in Indy? Or the guy that can legit run for 80 yard scores?

If I'm choosing between Richardson or Young/Stroud any given week, give me the guy who can put up a monster by accident.

. No one expects Young or Stroud to be viable starters as rookies in SF formats,
:oldunsure: I think it’s fairly likely for either to be top 24 QBs as rookies.
Yeah, I’d expect either / both to be immediate contributors, and not bottom 12 QBs.
In a SF anyone below top 5-7 is a weekly question mark you will likely be deciding between with another QB, or even another skill position guy, if your scoring isn't terribly skewed.

You're not plugging Stroud or Young into your lineup every week unless something has gone wrong or, highly unlikely right.

Yes.

Of course. Whaddya gonna do?

Young or Stroud bust proof now?

I'm taking Richardson with what we know now. I'm trying to hit a home run at 1.2 not a single or a double. No other QB has a higher ceiling in this draft. If I'm wrong about him, I'll get another chance again at the top of the draft. Stoud and Levis, I think will keep your team average. Jmo.

Yes.

No, just asking questions based on comments I’ve seen.

I would be more likely to take ARich if I knew he was starting day 1.

Nothing wrong with a little OTJ training.

But some have speculated that it would be best for his long-term development to sit for 1-2 years.

We’ve seen a lot of QBs flame out who were thrown to the deep end of the pool.

Yes.

But some have speculated that it would be best for his long-term development to sit for 1-2 years.

Definitely not two years for me, actually no more than one, and I’d rather see him get at least like four or five games under his belt this year. I’m just a little worried that early season NFL energy could hamper him. I want him to feel success quickly, just feels important for him in particular if he’s going to find something close to his ceiling at the next level.

If he starts right away, so be it. The tools are there, he could kill it right off the rip like RG3 did. Different styles of course but just in terms of production.

Yes.

Tough call but at the top of a SF draft I'm not looking for Kirk Cousins.

And, unless your SF team has been horribly mismanaged you aren't going into 2023 looking for a rookie QB to start for you. It's not the meal it's the gravy.

Young is likely to be game ready week 1, 2023. But, with Young you're praying for a Brees outcome. To quote a famous person "My mother drafted Drew Brees once Johnny... Once!"

Yes.

Definitely not two years for me, actually no more than one, and I’d rather see him get at least like four or five games under his belt this year. I’m just a little worried that early season NFL energy could hamper him. I want him to feel success quickly, just feels important for him in particular if he’s going to find something close to his ceiling at the next level.

If he starts right away, so be it. The tools are there, he could kill it right off the rip like RG3 did. Different styles of course but just in terms of production.
There’s also David Carr syndrome. If he goes to a team with a bad OL and has to start right away, he could get shell shocked.

I guess the theory goes that with his legs he should be able to improvise in those situations, but the NFL moves faster, and he’s only had 13 games under his belt.

There’s definitely some risk in his starting immediately.

Also I agree with the point made earlier about the Raiders - I would hate that for his potential development. McDaniels doesn’t inspire confidence.

And, unless your SF team has been horribly mismanaged you aren't going into 2023 looking for a rookie QB to start for you.
That’s a little harsh.

Sometimes you rebuild. Sometimes you need to count on a rookie to start for you. That’s the situation I find myself in, and my team has hardly been “horribly mismanaged”.

I’ve busted my tail for 2 years acquiring the best pieces I can get. I have 3x top 9 WR, a top 6-7 QB, and 2 top 5 RB, plus a potential TE1 and some decent depth.

I just ran out of teams to trade with. The simple fact is there are only so many QBs worth acquiring.

And there are only so many years you’re in a position to draft QBs - just so happens this year isn’t the best year for signal callers. Last year was even worse.

I might still try to deal 1.02 and a ‘25 1st for a QB, but at this point the teams who are rebuilding aren’t letting go of their young QBs, and competitive teams who only have 2 aren’t moving them.

If I end up with ARich, I might throw the future 1st at an older bridge-type QB. But I would absolutely rather draft a rookie to start as my QB2 than sacrifice my future 1st on a Geno Smith type.

It isn’t always about mismanaging a roster. Cmon. Be better than that.

Last edited:
Interesting…MFFL has ADP as follows:
• Stroud 36.65
• ARich 37.29
• Young 37.77

Dak is after Stroud at 36.78
Tua is well behind Young at 51.32

File that away in whatever cabinet y’all feel is relevant. Heh

I most likely take Richardson because the ceiling is just so high, and QBs hold their value or years anyway so there will be plenty of opportunities to sell if O sense it going the other way

That’s a little harsh.

It isn’t always about mismanaging a roster. Cmon. Be better than that.
I'm sorry that you're apparently offended? Bothered? Mildly perturbed? By my comments. Sincerely I am.

Is this the team you took over last season? I don't keep a notebook but I know you have more than a few teams and I don't want to try to keep it straight.

However I stand by my premise, not the part that seems harsh because that's not my intent (even though I said "horribly mismanaged").

I've played SF (or outright mandatory 2 QB) for...jeebus almost 30 years and, IMO being stuck with a rookie, by design as your SF QB, doesn't appear to be a good strategy (on the surface).

If you're in that situation it makes Richardson even more of an obvious choice. You need a home run in that case. If you have two decent starters (at least) then a guy like Young or Stroud (or Levis, I guess) is worth a shot to see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread