What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NE to go Undefeated (1 Viewer)

if they get to play SF in the SB, 18-0 or not, guess what is the only team in the NFL that BB has a losing record against? Denver.7-11. why does that matter? because it was against Skeletor and Kubiak as OC for the most part.why does that matter? Skeletor's son uses the same offense in SF. the same one Kubiak used to beat NE in the playoffs a couple years back, when Manning for the Broncos. the same offense that had a 28-3 lead on the Pats in the SB but silly Dan Quinn and his defense gave it all up.

just saying, if they face the Niners in the SB, they're going to lose.

Baltimore is the 2nd team the Pats face with a winning record...Will be interested to see if New England really is this good or was their competition really that bad

I haven’t seen or heard that once.
Maybe not a ton of people taking the Ravens but the early ones I say severl people took them . . .

Ravens Are Going To Put A Clown Suit on Patriots (BAL 24-14)
Ravens Stun Patriots on Sunday Night (BAL 23-20)
Lamar Jackson, Baltimore Upset Tom Brady, New England (BAL 24-23)
Ravens Break Pats Undefeated Streak (BAL 24-21)

Jason LaConfora (CBS) and Lester Wiltfong (Bleacher Report) also picking BAL (couldn't find links).

This article is from a Baltimore writer so there is clearly a slant to get clicks. LINK

It basically says there isn't an elite team in the AFC and the conference is wide open to any number of teams. Essentially, the Patriots "are not intimidating."

No football game has ever been won or lost on the opinions of sports writers, so we'll have to see how this week plays out.

It basically says there isn't an elite team in the AFC and the conference is wide open to any number of teams. Essentially, the Patriots "are not intimidating."
I'm not sure if the Pats are elite or not (their defense just may be) but they are head and shoulders above the rest of the AFC which is pretty pathetic overall - I won't change that opinion if Baltimore wins this game, which could happen if things break right. If these two teams played 10 times on a neutral field, my guess is the Pats win 7/8 of them at worst.

Yea, I dunno - I'd expect BB to come up with a game plan to force Jackson into beating them with tight throws. Which he's done a lot better at this year, but I don't think they'll make it easy on him.

Baltimore is the 2nd team the Pats face with a winning record...Will be interested to see if New England really is this good or was their competition really that bad
I’d read a crazy stat recently that Belichick has never lost at home to a rookie QB, and on the road the last loss to a rookie was in 2013 (Geno Smith). 

I realize Jackson isn’t a rookie, but he’s still a young player lacking experience against the fronts the Pats will use against him. Belichick spoke at length about the challenge of containing Jackson on the ground, & how DLs can’t keep up with him -  which makes me think the Pats might spy him with a LB or S and make Jackson beat them with his arm. Marquis Brown should be back, opening up yet another dimension of the game. 

I’m as excited for this game as any this week. Should be a good one. 

Yea, I dunno - I'd expect BB to come up with a game plan to force Jackson into beating them with tight throws. Which he's done a lot better at this year, but I don't think they'll make it easy on him.
I agree - the only aspect Jackson lacks is the short touch throw on the move when he rolls out of the pocket.  He’s thrown more than a few balls into the ground, missing open receivers. 

If BB’s plan is to force more of that, it’s a good plan. 

the challenge is planning it & then actually doing it. Once Jackson breaks containment he’s big, strong, fast & has good moves in the open field. 

This game could shake out any way, really. Gonna be a good one! 

Whether this matters or not, I have heard comments from multiple ex-NE players that suggest that to get to this point, the Patriots have barely dipped into their playbook (both offensively and defensively). Basically, the point the players were making was that they still have a lot up their sleeves and there will be play calls that haven't been used in a while or on tape for opponents to break down. Now, if you can't block you can't block, and if you have a porous O-line, you have a porous O-line. But the collective opinion was that NE could have done a lot more in the games they've played and played very conservatively once they jumped out to big leads.

DLs can’t keep up with him -  which makes me think the Pats might spy him with a LB or S and make Jackson beat them with his arm. Marquis Brown should be back, opening up yet another dimension of the game. 

I’m as excited for this game as any this week. Should be a good one. 
To be totally honest LBs have no chance of spying him - he made Bobby Wagner look silly in Seattle - and a Safety might not have much better luck. In KC, Mathieu had an open shot at him on a red zone scramble, lined him up, and whiffed. As with Vick, a spy often ends up being a wasted defender because he physically can’t fulfill his assignment of tackling the QB when he breaks contain. 

I’m fascinated to see what BB comes up with. I could see something like a 3-man rush, and dropping 4 men into zones across the field keeping their eyes on Lamar, and then man over the top. Take away the TEs and force both Lamar and the Ravens WRs to win vs. right coverage. Although this would provide an opportunity to the Ravens RBs to thrive on the ground. Should be a lot of fun to watch. 

To be totally honest LBs have no chance of spying him - he made Bobby Wagner look silly in Seattle - and a Safety might not have much better luck. In KC, Mathieu had an open shot at him on a red zone scramble, lined him up, and whiffed. As with Vick, a spy often ends up being a wasted defender because he physically can’t fulfill his assignment of tackling the QB when he breaks contain. 

I’m fascinated to see what BB comes up with. I could see something like a 3-man rush, and dropping 4 men into zones across the field keeping their eyes on Lamar, and then man over the top. Take away the TEs and force both Lamar and the Ravens WRs to win vs. right coverage. Although this would provide an opportunity to the Ravens RBs to thrive on the ground. Should be a lot of fun to watch. 
They probably won't stop Lamar.

But they can cover Andrews and Brown, stop Ingram. Make Lamar do everything. As much as I like the guy, he'll make a mistake or two. 

I want the Ravens to win, but they're not stopping Brady. 

Most likely, the pats go into the bye undefeated. The scheduling guys were nice, giving their hardest b2b games after the bye. 

I think Dallas beats them, KC might if Mahomes returns. 

Guess we are seeing who they really are.  Only the second team they've played with a winning record.  Buffalo was the other, and they won by less than a TD.  They're definitely in the top tier of the AFC, but they aren't what people thought they were.

guess I don’t have to hear about their historically dominate defense anymore.
Even with 37 points allowed they've only allowed 98 points through 9 games. The record is 165, and they're now "on pace" for just 175. With a bye week next week, the talk is hardly over. 

Even with 37 points allowed they've only allowed 98 points through 9 games. The record is 165, and they're now "on pace" for just 175. With a bye week next week, the talk is hardly over. 
They have played bottom feeders.  What do you expect?

They have played bottom feeders.  What do you expect?
I expect you to enjoy watching them lose, like most of America, and root against them.  I am sure you understand that there are other teams who have faced soft schedules but haven't held their opponents to as few points or forced as many turnovers or won by similar margins, but i understand that you're happy right now and I'm happy for you.  Enjoy your evening. 

I expect you to enjoy watching them lose, like most of America, and root against them.  I am sure you understand that there are other teams who have faced soft schedules but haven't held their opponents to as few points or forced as many turnovers or won by similar margins, but i understand that you're happy right now and I'm happy for you.  Enjoy your evening. 
I have no idea what you're talking about.  I simply just pointed out something that was factual.

It's crazy how off balance some of the patriots supporters are. They played the first qb who isn't terrible and gave up 37 points. They're probably the super bowl favorite but the idea that the defense is one of the best ever is laughable. 

How do the defending Super Bowl Champions have such a soft schedule???

It’s so weird that the bEsT dEfEnSe EvEr allowed the Ravens to score their second most points in a game this season.

It's crazy how off balance some of the patriots supporters are. They played the first qb who isn't terrible and gave up 37 points. They're probably the super bowl favorite but the idea that the defense is one of the best ever is laughable. 
they got punched in the face by a real coach/team and crumbled....not the pats fault but ive never aeen such a weak division and schedule...they are lucky they will have home field advantage in the playoffs because if it

They faced a unique team with an elite mobile quarterback, gave up uncharacteristic penalties on the road and gave up a defensive touchdown.

They'll face another unique team in week 14 vs the chiefs with their team speed, and another with the cowboys.  Those are all very difficult matchups and could certainly score a bunch of points. 

The bills may actually be better on offense than they were when they first faced each other. The eagles are always a tough opponent.  Even the dolphins and Bengals may  have improved.

I don't blame you for thinking that they will give up more than 67 points in their final 7 games. It's historically difficult to give up so few points. That's how records work, actually.  It's literally the defining characteristic of a record that it's historically difficult to do. 

I am just saying that it is an objective fact that the Patriots are still within reach of the record of 165. They were so far ahead of pace in their first 8 games that after giving up 37 in their 9th, they're still on pace for 175.

I apologize for being so off balance and laughable. I'm sure you're right about whatever you want to be right about and I'm wrong about whatever you want me to have been saying instead so you can have the argument you'd rather have.  

Missed the Pats schedule for the past 15 years?  Its called a HORRIBLE DIVISION. Absolute dumpster fire in the AFC east at QB and coach.
exactly, which is why the number of wins they have against the AFC East is so disproportionately higher than against the rest of the AFC, right?!

exactly, which is why the number of wins they have against the AFC East is so disproportionately higher than against the rest of the AFC, right?!
People like to throw out this stat to suggest that the AFC East hasn't been terrible for the past decade plus. It doesn't really mean that. It just means the Pats drop an a game in division every so often to a terrible team.

This reminds me of when the Browns beat the Ravens. Don't let it go to your head Baltimore.

How do the defending Super Bowl Champions have such a soft schedule???
Well, first of all they are in a division with Marshal, Appalachian State and Richmond. Then somehow they also get to play teams like Syracuse. I think that’s who they hammered last week. I don’t know...They had orange helmets. They’ve also enjoyed tilts against abysmal NFC east teams although they’ve yet to play the two marginally competent teams from there. Although Buffalo—the one “decent” team in NE’s division almost beat them and yet buffalo got the p|ss stomped out of them at home by the Eagles. 🤷‍♂️ 

It really is pretty amazing that nobody else in the AFC East has been able to put together even a consistently-decent team during New England's run.  Obviously it isn't New England's fault that they've been assigned to a division with three bad franchises, but it seems like one of those teams should have stumbled into a quality roster simply by accident at some point.  

It really is pretty amazing that nobody else in the AFC East has been able to put together even a consistently-decent team during New England's run.  Obviously it isn't New England's fault that they've been assigned to a division with three bad franchises, but it seems like one of those teams should have stumbled into a quality roster simply by accident at some point.  
It does seem so and it should be by a least chance but human decisions interfere with pure chance to mitigate even the possibility of luck they've been so bad. The argument that the Patriots' out of division schedule record means that the Patriots are actually strong hasn't watched three terrible franchises, ineptly run, cupboard constantly bereft of talent as the AFC East the past two decades. The Jets back in the late aughts/early teens were the only divisional team that ever had a shot at these guys. 

Last edited by a moderator:
People like to throw out this stat to suggest that the AFC East hasn't been terrible for the past decade plus. It doesn't really mean that. It just means the Pats drop an a game in division every so often to a terrible team.
where did I say that the AFC East hasn't been terrible for the past decade?  I am not saying that there is no benefit to being in that division, but that people often point to that like it is the only reason and/or has a direct correlation to the Pats' success.

where did I say that the AFC East hasn't been terrible for the past decade?  I am not saying that there is no benefit to being in that division, but that people often point to that like it is the only reason and/or has a direct correlation to the Pats' success.
If your team has a built in 4-5 wins per year, it certainly helps with playoff seeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it helps them get playoff home games.  What is their playoff record on the road?

If your team has a built in 4-5 wins per year, it certainly helps with playoff seeding.
Do people not get that if NE were in another division, people would say that division is the weakest division in the league? That's what happens when the best team for almost two decades plays in a division.

Even leaving that part out, do people also not understand that there are plenty of bad teams in the NFL every year? Sure, people want to isolate on the AFC East, but other divisions have had plenty of marginal teams. Since the league went to the current 8 division schedule in 2002, here were the total number of teams that had 6 or fewer wins since then . . .

AFC South: 25
NFC West: 25
NFC North: 24
AFC North: 22
AFC West: 22
AFC East: 22
NFC East: 20
NFS South: 17

The Pats are a good team, but their schedule thru week 8 was laughably easy.  The Ravens are a tough team to defend.  

The Pats are a good team, but their schedule thru week 8 was laughably easy.  The Ravens are a tough team to defend.  
Props to BAL on beating NE, but IMO they are literally as good as Jackson is healthy. One ankle / knee / hamstring injury to Jackson and they immediately become a completely different team (unless people think RGIII can be as dynamic as Jackson is). I doubt another QB could step in and be anywhere near as effective with their style of play.

The other teams don't want to even try for a run until Brady retires. It's not like they're one piece away and could get it by dumb luck. They're miles away and have no intention of getting closer yet, and haven't for years. 

It's probably been five years in a row they've all said "maybe this is Brady's last, lets hold off one more year." 
In a round about way, I mentioned part of the problem with opponents in recent years vs. NE. BB has feasted on young QBs and new coaches. Since no one else has done much in the AFC East, that means . . . a lot of young QBs and new coaches. It's not like other franchises have thrown in the towel for 18 years. But without any coaching consistency and not giving QB's trial by fire experience to stick around long enough to learn how to play NE, the cycle has become never ending.

In a round about way, I mentioned part of the problem with opponents in recent years vs. NE. BB has feasted on young QBs and new coaches. Since no one else has done much in the AFC East, that means . . . a lot of young QBs and new coaches. It's not like other franchises have thrown in the towel for 18 years. But without any coaching consistency and not giving QB's trial by fire experience to stick around long enough to learn how to play NE, the cycle has become never ending.
What is NE playoff record on the road?

Do people not get that if NE were in another division, people would say that division is the weakest division in the league? That's what happens when the best team for almost two decades plays in a division.

Even leaving that part out, do people also not understand that there are plenty of bad teams in the NFL every year? Sure, people want to isolate on the AFC East, but other divisions have had plenty of marginal teams. Since the league went to the current 8 division schedule in 2002, here were the total number of teams that had 6 or fewer wins since then . . .

AFC South: 25
NFC West: 25
NFC North: 24
AFC North: 22
AFC West: 22
AFC East: 22
NFC East: 20
NFS South: 17
Now, how many of them were the same teams every year? I know you can kick the NFC south out of that equation. 

And no, if you put the Pats in any random division the NFC West, NFC South, AFC North, etc wouldn’t suddenly become the worst division in the NFL. 

Props to BAL on beating NE, but IMO they are literally as good as Jackson is healthy. One ankle / knee / hamstring injury to Jackson and they immediately become a completely different team (unless people think RGIII can be as dynamic as Jackson is). I doubt another QB could step in and be anywhere near as effective with their style of play.
Couldn't you say that about nearly all teams though? Not saying that Jackson isn't unique and the offense isn't built around his talents, but when Rodgers got hurt in week one last year my exact thoughts were "there goes gb for the season."

You could say this about most (good) teams, including the Pats.

Users who are viewing this thread