What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moritz Böhringer, WR Bengals - Taming the Stripes like Sigfried and Roy! (1 Viewer)

Buzz off Pats fans. Raiders are taking him with one of their two 5th rounders!

This is exactly the type of weapon Carr needs to supplement Coop and Crabs.

This should have been a contest, closest to guessing the actual pick where he lands gets.......... "?" from FBG's? 

Free e-copy of MOP's self published self-help book?

Somehow I sense "Vikings" will play well in Germany.
Yeah and they already called the rest of this draft a stinker when they traded out of the 3rd for 2017 picks.

Then when they pick in the 4th round they take a guy named Willie Beavers. Because that is hilarious.

Then they draft Brothers because thats who you laugh with.

Then they draft Mo-Bo because they just don't give a fo 

At least that is the way it looks to me.

Reminds me of when I have draft picks left but I know I wont have roster space for them, so I just take players I intend to cut and hope someone else picks up. Because thats funny.

Yeah and they already called the rest of this draft a stinker when they traded out of the 3rd for 2017 picks.

Then when they pick in the 4th round they take a guy named Willie Beavers. Because that is hilarious.

Then they draft Brothers because thats who you laugh with.

Then they draft Mo-Bo because they just don't give a fo 

At least that is the way it looks to me.

Reminds me of when I have draft picks left but I know I wont have roster space for them, so I just take players I intend to cut and hope someone else picks up. Because thats funny.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.43 seconds Vertical: 39 inches Broad jump: 10 feet, 11 inches 20-yard Short shuttle: 4.10 seconds 3-cone: 6.65 seconds Bench: 17 reps of 225 pounds

Don't discount this guy just because he was much better than the competition.

Here is a reddit string discussing college WR market share and the irrelevance of combine data in regards to WR. Not other positions, but WR specifically. Correlation for other positions was not strong with combine measurements either, but it at least had some relevance, while for the WR position specifically it had none.

The NFL draft is still a better metric for projecting NFL success than any model that these articles put forth. The harvard article's model ranks all non WRs with a spearman rank correlation coefficient of ~.35 based on only combine data and ranks WRs with an effective coefficient of 0 again purely using combine data. A coefficient of 1 is perfect ordered and a coefficient of zero can be considered randomized. The NFL draft ranks players with a coefficient of ~0.75 for all players, including WRs.

Here is a reddit string discussing college WR market share and the irrelevance of combine data in regards to WR. Not other positions, but WR specifically. Correlation for other positions was not strong with combine measurements either, but it at least had some relevance, while for the WR position specifically it had none.
Saying combine data has ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVANCE in evaluating WRs is junk science.

Why would they cut CP?  I would keep him strictly for his return ability.  I wouldn't pay him much to stay next year though. 
The Vikings knew Patterson was a long term project. From what I have heard he has been working on route running a WR skills this offseason.

Cutting him loose now when he might actually be starting to develop a bit seems like a waste. He will give his best years to some other team then. Yet people are ready to start this whole process over again with this guy?

Then 4 years from now maybe he will start to develop but fans will want to move on to the next project by then.

Yeah it probably has nothing to do with the Vikings OLine inability to pass protect. 

BTW, Michael Irvin never finished lower than 2nd in the NFL in receiving yards under Norv.
Different game then. Norv has no imagination. It's a pretty bad draft I'd only be interested in picks 1.01-1.03. This guy is 2-3 years away in GB. It will be his second contract after he leaves the vikes that he makes any noise if he does. 

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

It's subscriber content.  But the people saying combine data has no use couldn't be more wrong.
I would read but I am not a subscriber.

The study sorts players into types based on BMI.

Right away I am  seeing this 'science' as being flawed because of this use of this flawed measurement. Not to mention the inaccuracy of the combine data itself which makes the whole process in my view a colossal waste of time.

But that is what people build narratives around. So I do not expect that to change.

Just out of curiosity why are the players separated into four different types?

I am guessing the reason for that is to over fit the data. Whatever these studies show they are not looking at the whole WR sample size the way the studies that I cited do. So you are not making an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would read but I am not a subscriber.

The study sorts players into types based on BMI.

Right away I am  seeing this 'science' as being flawed because of this use of this flawed measurement. Not to mention the inaccuracy of the combine data itself which makes the whole process in my view a colossal waste of time.

But that is what people build narratives around. So I do not expect that to change.

Just out of curiosity why are the players separated into four different types?

I am guessing the reason for that is to over fit the data. Whatever these studies show they are not looking at the whole WR sample size the way the studies that I cited do. So you are not making an apples to apples comparison.
That's a lot of commentary on something you haven't read.

Great story but a wasted pick. Braxton Miller is going to have a hard enough time and he actually played WR against some competition.

This guy is going to get murdered on the field.

People who are saying wasted pick are just plain ignorant about the situation. He is a project and like Patterson we will see after few years will he be able make it. He has all the physical tools to be an NFL caliber receiver, but as a wasted pick, most of sixth round picks are wasted picks. I'm rooting for this guy to make it, seems like a good fellow.

People who are saying wasted pick are just plain ignorant about the situation. He is a project and like Patterson we will see after few years will he be able make it. He has all the physical tools to be an NFL caliber receiver, but as a wasted pick, most of sixth round picks are wasted picks. I'm rooting for this guy to make it, seems like a good fellow.
Ignorant about what?

If most sixth round picks are wasted picks, and he's a sixth round pick with LESS experience than most sixth round picks, then isn't it MORE likely he was a wasted pick?

At least it's less of a waste as a 6th rounder than Patterson was as a 1st.

I'll say this though - your English is pretty good. :thumbup:

Don't bring hate or negativity into this thread. MoBo will make this team and catch at least 10 passes in 2016. Mark it down!

Andy Dufresne said:
Ignorant about what?

If most sixth round picks are wasted picks, and he's a sixth round pick with LESS experience than most sixth round picks, then isn't it MORE likely he was a wasted pick?

At least it's less of a waste as a 6th rounder than Patterson was as a 1st.

I'll say this though - your English is pretty good. :thumbup:
Thanks. Ignorant about what a sixth rounder is worth. Sixth rounders are just one round away of being free agents anyone can sign. I would any time welcome a player with great skill set and physical tools to my team instead of drafting a guy that does not poses those elements. So what comes to wasted pick- I think it's just hard to bet against a horse that hasn't showed what he is worth. Let's wait and see.

Thanks. Ignorant about what a sixth rounder is worth. Sixth rounders are just one round away of being free agents anyone can sign. I would any time welcome a player with great skill set and physical tools to my team instead of drafting a guy that does not poses those elements
What great skill set are you referring to?

The Vikings seem to be making a habit of this.

Remember Babatunde Aiyegbusi? The 6'9" 350lb tackle from Poland last year?

You'd be excused if you don't.

I know Osi has been working hard for the NFL in Europe - maybe there is pressure from NFL to look at these guys?  Could just be a feel-good brand bump for the Vikes too. Lots of German ancestry in MN, Moritz himself was a Vikes fan, got his first taste of American football watching AP on YouTube...

What I think is Spielman loves athletic guys. He drafts for ceiling more than most. So I think they saw his pro day, salivated at the combo of speed/size/agility, and when they brought him in liked his character. He may not make the roster but I'm glad we are getting the first look at him. 

Intriguing guy. The measurables speak for themselves and he's not just a workout warrior. His north-south explosiveness is evident in those highlights and he appears to have good balance and agility for a big man. At the same time, I understand the TE comments because he sort of looks like one in those clips despite his WR dimensions.

I think the one question is whether or not he can explode out of breaks and create separation against NFL corners. He's an athlete, but if he doesn't possess that type of suddenness then it might not matter. Unless you're a power forward like Kelvin Benjamin or Mike Evans, I think you need to be able to separate out of your breaks as a WR in the NFL. It's one of the most important traits. I don't know that Boehringer can't do it, it just isn't evident in his clips.

The player he actually reminds me a bit of is DeAndre Smelter, another big target with similar strengths and question marks. Smelter was a late arrival to CFB after focusing on baseball previously, but offers the same type of agility and strength. The question with both guys is whether they can run routes well enough to capitalize on their other gifts. I took Smelter relatively cheap (roughly 3rd round) in a lot of drafts last season and would take a flyer on Boehringer if the price were right. Minimal downside. Lots of upside. He's not a player that I would trade up to get though. 

Users who are viewing this thread