What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moritz Böhringer, WR Bengals - Taming the Stripes like Sigfried and Roy! (2 Viewers)

petekrum said:
The boundless optimism on these forums for guys with no shot never ceases to amaze me. I don't care what he did during the underwear exercises, you don't go from the level he was playing at to playing against the best players in the world and succeed. Might he make a team? Maybe, as a special teamer/#5 WR. Expecting anything more is simply naive.
How do you compare where he played and division 3 football? Is there a metric or aomething.

How do you compare where he played and division 3 football? Is there a metric or aomething.

petekrum said:
The boundless optimism on these forums for guys with no shot never ceases to amaze me. I don't care what he did during the underwear exercises, you don't go from the level he was playing at to playing against the best players in the world and succeed. Might he make a team? Maybe, as a special teamer/#5 WR. Expecting anything more is simply naive.
Of course expecting more is naive. Point to one post where someone expects him to be a top 2 wr on a team... :popcorn:

But it's not impossible. Athletes are athletes. He probably needs a ton of work (mainly route running and technique) but his measurable s are freakish. Someone will give him a few years on the pine. 

petekrum said:
I see no boundless optimism, and any optimism at all demonstrated in this thread comes with plenty of grains of salt.  These threads epitomize the best of what the SP has to offer IMO, it's called due diligence, being completely dismissive is lazy and not very smart IMO.   Every year presents new opportunity for the next great fantasy story.  

I see no boundless optimism, and any optimism at all demonstrated in this thread comes with plenty of grains of salt.  These threads epitomize the best of what the SP has to offer IMO, it's called due diligence, being completely dismissive is lazy and not very smart IMO.   Every year presents new opportunity for the next great fantasy story.  
You're certainly entitled to your opinion as is everyone else, but I'm pretty comfortable dismissing that the next great fantasy story is gonna come out of Germany, but time will tell.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion as is everyone else, but I'm pretty comfortable dismissing that the next great fantasy story is gonna come out of Germany, but time will tell.
You're opinion and critique of the SP that there is some boundless optimism isn't based in reality though.  

Funny part is,  of all the threads you've come into, and said this or that guy is gone suck, 'Germany' had been your most expansive argument.  

Really,  why would anyone listen? 

Take a look around.  People back up their opinions here pretty well,  using data,  and reasoned arguments.  

Antonio Gates didn't play a down of football in college. His top competition in football was in high school. He seems to have done ok.

petekrum said:
I love how you're arguing against something no one has said. 

Those stats are really impressive but what I really want to know is how big is his dong.

Just watched his highlights. Not sure if he can consistently beat NFL CBs, but I could see him being used as a move TE. Got the size, speed, and looks like his hands are pretty decent. 

petekrum said:
You just don't get it. Every year, someone like you makes this post. Nobody is looking to draft these guys with their 1st round redraft pick. Nobody is even likely picking him in a redraft. People are looking for guys to use their late 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round dynasty picks on. Yeah, you'll miss on 90% of these guys. But 90% of the guys you pick at those spots will be off your roster by the end of the year anyway. Why not at least look at a guy with the athletic ability to make a fantasy difference if he ever learns the football skills? If you don't look, you'll miss out on Gates, Graham, David Johnson, and others.

I love how you're arguing against something no one has said. 
Something no one has said? Bringing up and having a thread in a fantasy forum on a guy who if everything goes perfectly might be the 53 man on a roster and suggesting he might be anything other than that is boundless optimism. 

You just don't get it. Every year, someone like you makes this post. Nobody is looking to draft these guys with their 1st round redraft pick. Nobody is even likely picking him in a redraft. People are looking for guys to use their late 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round dynasty picks on. Yeah, you'll miss on 90% of these guys. But 90% of the guys you pick at those spots will be off your roster by the end of the year anyway. Why not at least look at a guy with the athletic ability to make a fantasy difference if he ever learns the football skills? If you don't look, you'll miss out on Gates, Graham, David Johnson, and others.
Hey, draft away, don't let me stop you. I'm just telling you you're wasting your time. Amazing how upset you people get when someone decides not to goose step to your way of thinking.

ps. Let's be real and not put this guy with Gates, Graham and DJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something no one has said? Bringing up and having a thread in a fantasy forum on a guy who if everything goes perfectly might be the 53 man on a roster and suggesting he might be anything other than that is boundless optimism. 
I'm the OP so I 'brought it up.'  When did I say the bolded?

It was a front page story on NFL - scouts from dozens of teams met with him and were impressed.  It's an interesting story.  You just seem miserable for its own sake  

i really hope you either change your style or leave cause so far you've contributed very little to this board. 

Hey this Okoye kid is an athletic freak!

Oh come on you're an idiot there's no chance a Nigerian from some tiny ### Christian school will become a decent player pull your head out of the sand !

/petekrum

227# isn't a TE.  He's a pure WR in the NFL unless he puts on 20+ pounds.

Also, don't feed the trolls. The appetite is endless, and they remember where they fed.

More importantly the teams that have shown interest. Steelers, Packers, Patriots, Broncos, Vikings. Pretty good organizations with well above average personnel scouting.
Browns were not there because they have no room on their roster I guess?

I'm the OP so I 'brought it up.'  When did I say the bolded?

It was a front page story on NFL - scouts from dozens of teams met with him and were impressed.  It's an interesting story.  You just seem miserable for its own sake  

i really hope you either change your style or leave cause so far you've contributed very little to this board. 
So a difference of opinion is not welcome here? Gotcha. So if I'd put " I really think this guy has a chance to be a player." You'd be ok with that because then we could all be part of your little mutual admiration society and nobody would get their feelings hurt. I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone that has an issue with my opinion,..bookmark it and the day this guy becomes even remotely useable in fantasy I'll be the first to say "Hey you were right, I was wrong. You got me on that one."

Browns were not there because they have no room on their roster I guess?
Browns might have been there, but it wasn't reported that I saw. But if they weren't there it was probably the worst organization in football thing.

Hey this Okoye kid is an athletic freak!

Oh come on you're an idiot there's no chance a Nigerian from some tiny ### Christian school will become a decent player pull your head out of the sand !

/petekrum
Really? You have proof of this? See, I'm willing to take my lumps when I'm wrong on a player. Please feel free to put up any actual quotes I have on any player. What many fail to realize is for every one of the out of the blue guys like Okoye you can name I can name 50 that the so called experts on these and other forums have touted who amount to jack. I imagine you and many of the sheep were all over Terrelle Pryor last season at this time, another of those athletic freaks everyone was so sure could just make the switch to WR at the NFL level. And  before you label me a hater who just shoots down every long shot that gets brought up just to be a contrarian, I have my little list of long shot guys that I target late every year if I have any openings on my dynasty squads, they just might not be the same as yours. As I said, feel free to bookmark this thread and blow me up if I'm wrong.

Really? You have proof of this? See, I'm willing to take my lumps when I'm wrong on a player. Please feel free to put up any actual quotes I have on any player. What many fail to realize is for every one of the out of the blue guys like Okoye you can name I can name 50 that the so called experts on these and other forums have touted who amount to jack. I imagine you and many of the sheep were all over Terrelle Pryor last season at this time, another of those athletic freaks everyone was so sure could just make the switch to WR at the NFL level. And  before you label me a hater who just shoots down every long shot that gets brought up just to be a contrarian, I have my little list of long shot guys that I target late every year if I have any openings on my dynasty squads, they just might not be the same as yours. As I said, feel free to bookmark this thread and blow me up if I'm wrong.
Difference is, if a poster here mentions they like his prospects, they do it without insulting other posters.  

You cannot do that.  That's how you started off in this thread, among most others.  Implying everyone that was interested was a sucker.  All your posts are condescending and backed up by nothing resembling.  

Differences of opinion are great.  Why respect yours when you clearly don't respect anyone else's?

Difference is, if a poster here mentions they like his prospects, they do it without insulting other posters.  

You cannot do that.  That's how you started off in this thread, among most others.  Implying everyone that was interested was a sucker.  All your posts are condescending and backed up by nothing resembling.  

Differences of opinion are great.  Why respect yours when you clearly don't respect anyone else's?
Yes, I did state I believed this guy to be a sucker pick, and perhaps I could have chosen my words more carefully. Live and learn.

When you said you'd bet the HIGHEST LEVEL of German football was at best on par with our High School system you kinda painted yourself in a corner.

Like most rookies it is unlikely that this guy becomes a star in the league.  But as a guy who plays 16 team dynasty with incredibly deep rosters, this is also the exact type of guy who I like taking with my last round rookie pick.  Mr. Roboto, thank you for bringing him up regardless of whether he ends up doing anything.

Athletic and smart and can catch the ball. All this is actually needed is coaching. If he goes to a crap team, he's probably toast.

So a difference of opinion is not welcome here? Gotcha. So if I'd put " I really think this guy has a chance to be a player." You'd be ok with that because then we could all be part of your little mutual admiration society and nobody would get their feelings hurt. I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone that has an issue with my opinion,..bookmark it and the day this guy becomes even remotely useable in fantasy I'll be the first to say "Hey you were right, I was wrong. You got me on that one."
Ok. Now I'm convinced. Troll away sunshine. 

Hey, draft away, don't let me stop you. I'm just telling you you're wasting your time. Amazing how upset you people get when someone decides not to goose step to your way of thinking.

You must not play in dynasty leagues. You're also a KIA

Nobody ####### said he was gonna be great. You must specialize in building strawmen. At least petulantly argue against an actual ####### point someone made. 

Nobody ####### said he was gonna be great. You must specialize in building strawmen. At least petulantly argue against an actual ####### point someone made. 
Please show me in the post you quoted where I said that anyone said he'd be great, because I don't see it. No, what some have said is he could eventually be a fantasy factor and what I have said is he will never amount to anything. Now maybe you play in dynasties with thirty player benches or have ten rounds of rookie picks, but my benches aren't that deep and we only draft three rookie rounds so I can't waste roster spots and draft picks chasing unicorns.

Please show me in the post you quoted where I said that anyone said he'd be great, because I don't see it. No, what some have said is he could eventually be a fantasy factor and what I have said is he will never amount to anything. Now maybe you play in dynasties with thirty player benches or have ten rounds of rookie picks, but my benches aren't that deep and we only draft three rookie rounds so I can't waste roster spots and draft picks chasing unicorns.
You've claimed 'boundless optimism.'  You've claimed that we are saying he's going to be a fantasy factor. You've claimed that the mere creation of this thread reveals some opinion of him that's heretofore unspoken. I just don't see any of that. 

You are a cynical person (I actually respect that) but you're immature and illogical. Enjoy yourself man. Stop ####ting in threads. 

Oh, btw, if EVERYONE you meet thinks you're mean and unhelpful it's probably not everybody's fault. There's one common denominator. 

Really? You have proof of this? See, I'm willing to take my lumps when I'm wrong on a player.
Not for nothing, but from what I can tell, you've been on this board for a little over a month, and have made 84 posts.  There has been no football played in that time period, so how could you have been "wrong" or "right" on any player?

No one has said he'll be a success. Threads like this just put a guy on our radar that we may throw a fourth or fifth round rookie pick at. No one is optomistic about guys like that, they just hope to get lucky once in a while.

Odds are you will be right. Congrats?

I guess you're guilty of boundless optimism too considering you earlier said he was capable of being a team's 5th WR and/or a special team contributor.  Such a player would be active on game day and,  as such, would be, at worst, the 46th man on the roster. That is 7 spots better than 53rd, and is, by your own standard, boundlessly optimistic.

Not for nothing, but from what I can tell, you've been on this board for a little over a month, and have made 84 posts.  There has been no football played in that time period, so how could you have been "wrong" or "right" on any player?
Between now and next season I along with everyone else will offer opinions on countless players. Easy enough to go back and look up who said what and who was right and who was wrong.

I guess you're guilty of boundless optimism too considering you earlier said he was capable of being a team's 5th WR and/or a special team contributor.  Such a player would be active on game day and,  as such, would be, at worst, the 46th man on the roster. That is 7 spots better than 53rd, and is, by your own standard, boundlessly optimistic.
No , no, no. I said if everything went perfectly he MIGHT be one of the last guys on the roster. I was giving you boys the benefit of the doubt, as I think he has no shot.

Lets reduce it down to this gentlemen. Most of you on here think he is an interesting physical freak prospect that you are looking to stash away in the hope that maybe someday he pans out. I maintain he doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of ever doing anything. Can we leave it at that?

No one has said he'll be a success. Threads like this just put a guy on our radar that we may throw a fourth or fifth round rookie pick at. No one is optomistic about guys like that, they just hope to get lucky once in a while.
I respect that, but does that in turn mean I have to jump on the bandwagon? 

Receiverlicious!!! Does you have any youtube videos of him making trick catches? Like maybe standing in a canoe, eating a frankfurter, one-handed grab, doesn't even spill the sauerkraut. 

Lets not forget about a guy like ziggy ansah, played one year of college ball and has looked pretty darn promising. Karlos Williams played one college year of rb before last year. Granted he played football, but ansah did not. Came from Africa and played a year at byu. So a guy with measurables could certainly come in with little xp and work hard to learn. And with the NFL gaining a worldwide audience, I'd be surprised if talent didn't start to trickle in from other countries. 

The nba in the 90s had a few European players, vlade divac is about the only name I can think of. Now there are, well, tons. I understand that the European bball leagues are better than whatever euro-football league exists, and I'm sure there are a hundred German players that would like to see you on the field for comparing it to high school ball. 

Between now and next season I along with everyone else will offer opinions on countless players. Easy enough to go back and look up who said what and who was right and who was wrong.
Then to your original point that you are "willing to take my lumps when I'm wrong on a player," couldn't one say the same thing you said to Mr. Roboto?

Really? You have proof of this?

There is absolutely no proof that you would do this, other than your words. 

Your words are also the source of Mr. Roboto's satirical post.  If you want people to accept your words as proof that you will own any bad calls, it seems a little suspect that you think your words couldn't/shouldn't be used against you.

Then to your original point that you are "willing to take my lumps when I'm wrong on a player," couldn't one say the same thing you said to Mr. Roboto?

Really? You have proof of this?

There is absolutely no proof that you would do this, other than your words. 

Your words are also the source of Mr. Roboto's satirical post.  If you want people to accept your words as proof that you will own any bad calls, it seems a little suspect that you think your words couldn't/shouldn't be used against you.
Hey, you're right. As everyone is all to eager to point out, I've been on these forums for about 15 minutes.(on a side note I anxiously await my email notification telling me I have enough posts to be one of the gang.) Guess only time will tell if I'll own my hits and misses come next season. 

Like most rookies it is unlikely that this guy becomes a star in the league.  But as a guy who plays 16 team dynasty with incredibly deep rosters, this is also the exact type of guy who I like taking with my last round rookie pick.  Mr. Roboto, thank you for bringing him up regardless of whether he ends up doing anything.
Playing in a league like that seems dumb. No offense. 

Users who are viewing this thread