What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marquise Goodwin (3 Viewers)

Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area expects the 49ers to employ Marquise Goodwin in a role similar to the way Taylor Gabriel was used in Atlanta.

Goodwin led San Francisco in receiving yards during his breakout 2017 campaign but took a backseat to Dante Pettis and George Kittle while battling injuries last year. After drafting a pair of wide receivers (Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd), Goodwin figures to slot into a gadget/utility role similar to how Kyle Shanahan employed Gabriel during his tenure as Atlanta's offensive coordinator. Goodwin offers game-changing speed and could thrive as a Gabriel-esque jack-of-all-trades, though his low volume in a suddenly crowded Niners' receiving corps limits his fantasy appeal.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

May 5, 2019, 10:25 AM ET

Anyone still holding this guy? My cuts are due soon. Think I may prefer the extra draft pick I'd get if I cut him, but hating getting burned by bailing on a guy. 12 team 22 man rosters. 

Anyone still holding this guy? My cuts are due soon. Think I may prefer the extra draft pick I'd get if I cut him, but hating getting burned by bailing on a guy. 12 team 22 man rosters. 

Still holding.  He may end up getting cut, but there is a ton of youth at WR on the SF roster.  There’s no guarantee any of them pan out.  If he starts at one of the outside spots he’ll have value as long as Garrapolo is healthy.

I was really high on him last year, to the point I offered Kupp for him in a trade that was declined😂, but I don't really see a path to a solid season this year. Injuries, to him and his QB, and personal family issues derailed his season last year and the receiver picture has changed a lot this season. I've still got him on my roster but unless things change I fully expect to drop him once we have to make final cuts.Pettis, Deebo and Kittle will all, more than likely, be above him in the pecking order.

I was really high on him last year, to the point I offered Kupp for him in a trade that was declined😂, but I don't really see a path to a solid season this year. Injuries, to him and his QB, and personal family issues derailed his season last year and the receiver picture has changed a lot this season. I've still got him on my roster but unless things change I fully expect to drop him once we have to make final cuts.Pettis, Deebo and Kittle will all, more than likely, be above him in the pecking order.
I think I topped you because mine was accepted.  I drafted Kupp at 3.05 his rookie year.  I bought into the narrative he will never be a WR1 and "threw" him in to ensure I got C. Meredith in on his side.   :wall:

He could definitely have a few 100 yard games and fills a deep route role in the SF offense than no one else does, but from a dynasty value perspective he's never going to be as high valued as he was. In a short bench league I think he's definitely one you can drop. If he becomes "dependable undervalued vet" then you can re-buy for about the same pick you are gaining now. I don't see any risk in dropping him and would rather have Funchess, Albert Wilson, Moncrief, and similarly valued vets because they give more boom in the boom/bust proposition.

Marquise Goodwin said he "100 percent" wants to return to the 2020 Olympics as a long jumper.

An Olympic-level athlete at the University of Texas, Goodwin long jumped in the 2012 games in London and finished 10th. He sat out in 2016 to focus on his NFL career. Goodwin will be 29 when the Olympics head to Tokyo late next summer. His 49ers contract runs through 2021. He must have language allowing him to compete if the urge hits.

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

Jun 11, 2019, 4:11 PM ET

SIgmund Bloom breathes a little life into the dream of Goodwin’s potential on this week’s On The Couch pod. Imagine a massive week one line versus the hapless Bucs. Not a bad flyer for your GPPs. 

The Athletic's Matt Barrows doesn't consider Marquise Goodwin a lock to make the 49ers' 53-man roster.

Barrows named Dante Pettis, Deebo Samuel, Jalen Hurd, and Trent Taylor as the top four, leaving Goodwin, Jordan Matthews, Kendrick Bourne, and Richie James competing for possibly two spots. Bourne has been showing out at camp and led the Niners' receivers in receiving a year ago. Matthews has reportedly been steady in camp, if not splashy. And James is a youngster with some intrigue. Goodwin carries the fattest cap hit at $2.95 million, but the Niners would save virtually none of it against the cap if he's cut. Goodwin couldn't stay healthy last year but was productive in 2017.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 5, 2019, 10:00 PM ET

Oh wow. Not only did I assume he'd make the roster, I was hearing he could be a potential draft bargain, a guy to take a shot at near the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to have risen up out of the roster grave and secured his spot on the team. With him being Jimmy’s favourite target in 2017 is there anything to see here ? 

I took him in the last round of my draft and have him and Pettis sitting on my bench, waiting to see how it shakes out. There must be points for WRs in a Shanahan offence 

Worth a last round flier if you’re looking at WR. Hasn’t Jimmy looked shaky? May go back to his favourite guy!

Seems to have risen up out of the roster grave and secured his spot on the team. With him being Jimmy’s favourite target in 2017 is there anything to see here ? 

I took him in the last round of my draft and have him and Pettis sitting on my bench, waiting to see how it shakes out. There must be points for WRs in a Shanahan offence 
Funny, I also drafted him very late as an afterthought.  In fact, I didn't even realize he was on my roster until I checked it later that night.  Wouldn't it be groovy if he turned in to something this year...

Marquise Goodwin is listed as the No. 2 receiver on the 49ers' "unofficial" depth chart.

Believed to be on the roster bubble early in the offseason, Goodwin instead locked himself in as a starter early in camp. One of the most dynamic deep threats in the league, Goodwin is also the only veteran in the 49ers' receiver corps. Goodwin could end up pushing for more, but he begins the year as a big-play based WR5.

Sep 3, 2019, 4:20 PM ET

Marquise Goodwin caught 3-of-4 targets for 41 yards in the 49ers' Week 5 win over the Browns.

He has back-to-back 41-yard outings. Goodwin is one of the leaders of this receiver committee for the Niners, but he's nothing more than a WR5 headed into Week 6 against the Rams.

Marquise Goodwin (personal) is questionable for the 49ers' Week 8 matchup against the Panthers.

Goodwin is off the fantasy radar if active, as Dante Pettis (92%) and Kendrick Bourne (89%) pulled away from the likes of Richie James (50%), Goodwin (11%) and Jordan Matthews (5%) with Deebo Samuel (knee) sidelined in Week 7. Bourne is probably the odd man out once Samuel returns, while coach Kyle Shanahan said recently-acquired WR Emmanuel Sanders is going to play "a lot."

SOURCE: Cam Inman on Twitter.

Oct 25, 2019, 4:44 PM ET

49ers WR Marquise Goodwin (personal) is back with the team and is expected to practice this week.

Goodwin missed Week 8 along with two previous practices for personal reasons. It's unclear how he'll fit into the 49ers offense with Emmanuel Sanders now in the fold. Each of Sanders (82% snaps in Week 8) and Deebo Samuel (70%) had near full-time roles last week, while Kendrick Bourne (48%), Dante Pettis (30%) and Richie James (22%) were utilized as backups. It's unlikely Goodwin gets anything resembling a fantasy-friendly target share in the 49ers' run-first offense.

SOURCE: Eric Branch on Twitter.

Oct 28, 2019, 4:43 PM ET

49ers placed WR Marquise Goodwin on injured reserve with a knee injury, ending his season.

The oft-injured wideout ends 2019 with just 12 receptions in nine games. Goodwin had the looks of a breakout player in 2017 but has instead settled into a pattern of injury-fueled obsolescence. Now 29, Goodwin has talked of trying to qualify for the 2020 Olympic games in Tokyo as a high jumper. Goodwin competed in 2012 in London. Due $3.95 million next season, Goodwin's release would create $3.875 million in cap space. We would consider his roster spot to be in grave danger.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Dec 10, 2019, 5:23 PM ET

49ers GM John Lynch said the team is in "active trade discussions" for WR Marquise Goodwin.

“The one guy that there are active [trade] discussions going on is Marquise Goodwin," Lynch confirmed in his pre-draft Zoom conference. "We came close a couple of times." Lynch also shut down recent rumors that the organization is shopping Dee Ford, Jaquiski Tartt and Kwon Alexander, noting "those are guys we love" moving forward. Goodwin is due roughly $10 million over the next two seasons, but it sounds as if he'll definitely be dealt at some point over draft weekend despite struggling with health and missing 12 out of a possible 32 games the past two years. The Niners were always candidates to select a wide receiver with the No. 13 overall pick, but this recent development only heightens that notion.

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

Apr 20, 2020, 5:42 PM ET

Eagles acquired WR Marquise Goodwin from the 49ers.

The teams swapped sixth-round picks. Goodwin has been on the trade block all offseason, and the 49ers finally found a landing spot. The Eagles selected TCU's Jalen Reagor in the first round to add help to their receiver room, but they'd been quiet at the position before swinging a deal for Goodwin. 29-year-old Goodwin appeared in just nine games as a lightly-used deep threat for the NFC champs last season, posting a meager 12-186-1 line on 21 targets as he tumbled down the depth chart. Goodwin had an outlier 2017 with 56-962-2 on 105 targets as the default No. 1 wideout. With speed for days, Goodwin can fill a DeSean Jackson-like role in Philly.

RELATED: 

San Francisco 49ers

Apr 25, 2020, 2:59 PM ET

Eagles WR Marquise Goodwin has opted out of the 2020 season due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

Goodwin has a five-month-old daughter after his family suffered through the horror of three miscarriages. He wants to focus on his home life as COVID-19 rages. This one is going to sting for the Eagles, who have been trying and failing for years to find a deep threat who can stay healthy for Carson Wentz. There is now extra pressure on DeSean Jackson and first-round rookie Jalen Reagor. Headed into his age-30 campaign, Goodwin has had trouble staying healthy in recent years. He was merely going to be a role player, but the Eagles' receiver depth remains a trouble spot. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jul 28, 2020, 12:53 PM ET

It wasn't just miscarriages. He lost a newborn a couple of years ago. Plus, I think he still cares for his sister with cerebral palsy. Best to him and family.

Mystery Achiever said:
It wasn't just miscarriages. He lost a newborn a couple of years ago. Plus, I think he still cares for his sister with cerebral palsy. Best to him and family.
Makes sense. But from a football standpoint, he had a good chance to make a difference this year. Now he gives JJaw and Reagor a chance to establish themselves. Makes it that much tougher for him next year.

Makes sense. But from a football standpoint, he had a good chance to make a difference this year. Now he gives JJaw and Reagor a chance to establish themselves. Makes it that much tougher for him next year.
I was looking forward to seeing him on the team. But having followed him since this Make-A-Wish video and knowing about his sister  and  what he and his wife have gone through and finally having a healthy child, it  seems like the obvious choice. Being only a one year deal makes it esp. tough, though.

Marquise Goodwin caught 4-of-5 targets for 67 yards and two touchdowns in the Seahawks' Week 7 win over the Chargers.

With Tyler Lockett coming into this one with a hamstring injury and then DK Metcalf being carted off in the first half with a knee injury, Goodwin was thrust into an expanded role. The veteran speedster entered Week 7 with six catches for 79 scoreless yards. If Metcalf's injury proves serious, Goodwin will likely be needed for heavy snaps against the Giants in Week 8.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said he's hopeful Marquise Goodwin (groin) will return in Week 10 against the Buccaneers.​

Goodwin dealt with a groin injury all of last week and was sidelined for the Seahawks' Week 9 matchup against the Cardinals. He's caught eight passes for 100 yards and two touchdowns over his last two games but barely qualifies as a boom-or-bust player as long as Tyler Lockett and D.K. Metcalf are healthy.
Nov 7, 2022, 1:28 PM ET

Marquise Goodwin, Fantasy Playoff Hero?

Excerpt:

The Seahawks season is crumbling around them with Tyler Lockett facing an uphill battle to play again this year after picking up a hand injury that required surgery. Marquise Goodwin is likely the man to benefit from any missed games for Lockett, and Goodwin has played well in spells this season. The Seahawks face a potential shootout in Kansas City, whose defense ranks 23rd against the pass over the last four games. Goodwin should be rostered in all formats.

I’d imagine they’d key in on stopping Metcalf and KW3, hopefully Goodwins speed wins him a TD and then some

Marquise Goodwin (wrist/ankle) was limited in Wednesday's practice.​

Goodwin was listed as a full participant on Tuesday despite being listed with a wrist injury, but this ankle injury appears to be something new. With Tyler Lockett (hand) expected to be sidelined for the team's Week 16 matchup against the Chiefs, Goodwin could have some upside as a deep streaming option if he's able to play. This ankle injury could be something to monitor given its recency. We'll hopefully have more clarity on Goodwin's status by Thursday.
Dec 21, 2022, 7:45 PM ET

Marquise Goodwin (wrist/ankle) was limited in Wednesday's practice.​

Goodwin was listed as a full participant on Tuesday despite being listed with a wrist injury, but this ankle injury appears to be something new. With Tyler Lockett (hand) expected to be sidelined for the team's Week 16 matchup against the Chiefs, Goodwin could have some upside as a deep streaming option if he's able to play. This ankle injury could be something to monitor given its recency. We'll hopefully have more clarity on Goodwin's status by Thursday.
Dec 21, 2022, 7:45 PM ET
The Seahawks listed their entire team as questionable. I’m taking this with a huge grain of salt.

Hoping Goodwin's injury is nothing. At least as a 1pm game, we should be able to pivot quickly once we know if he's out.

Picked him up and hoping to roll him out immediately as my WR3. Geno's going to have to throw a lot. DK should get all of the attention. One would think Goodwin will have ample chance to roam free against the KC secondary. Question is whether he will capitalize on the opportunity.

Picked him up and hoping to roll him out immediately as my WR3. Geno's going to have to throw a lot. DK should get all of the attention. One would think Goodwin will have ample chance to roam free against the KC secondary. Question is whether he will capitalize on the opportunity.
Very not happy that he was a DNP today.

He may have sprained his ankle in practice Wednesday as he was full on Tuesday.

Ugh

Ugh

I don’t like the sound of it

looks wet.

Ugh

that’s a rando account with 50 follows.

No offense if it’s you, but that’s not exactly credible.

ETA: I just searched all of the credible sites and none have a Pete Carroll quote.

Marquise Goodwin (wrist, ankle) is questionable for Week 16 against the Chiefs.​

Goodwin seems genuinely questionable, which would be awful news for a team already missing Tyler Lockett (finger). Goodwin will have top-40 appeal if he can suit up for what should be a pass-happy affair. If not, Penny Hart will be the next man up, and the Seahawks' receiver corps will be in dire straits. The only good news is, KC/SEA kicks off at 1PM ET Saturday, so we will know Goodwin's status before lineups lock.
Dec 22, 2022, 5:30 PM ET

looks wet.

Ugh

that’s a rando account with 50 follows.

No offense if it’s you, but that’s not exactly credible.

ETA: I just searched all of the credible sites and none have a Pete Carroll quote.
It’s not me, I got it off the Reddit sub

Ok CBS is saying he was “limited” on Thursday, not DNP.

Today’s practice report is big. Full practice today and he’s good to go. Otherwise I’ll go with Gabe Davis or Palmer.

Chris Towers email just a few mins ago;
Injuries: Tyler Lockett (hand) has been ruled out, while Kenneth Walker (ankle/back), Noah Fant (knee), Marquise Goodwin (wrist/ankle), and DeeJay Dallas (ankle) are all questionable. All four of the questionable players are expected to play, according to Pete Carroll, but we'll want to keep an eye out for Saturday reports just to make sure, especially with Walker. He's a solid RB2 if he plays.

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said Thursday that Goodwin (wrist/ankle) is likely to play Saturday at Kansas City, despite being listed as questionable for the contest, Brady Henderson of ESPN.com reports.

Goodwin was listed as a full practice participant Tuesday on account of the wrist issue, but he ended up taking a designation into the weekend after downgrading to limited activity Wednesday, when he suffered a lateral ankle sprain in practice. The wideout then sat out Thursday's session entirely, but Carroll suggested Goodwin's absence was mostly rest-related.

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said Thursday that Goodwin (wrist/ankle) is likely to play Saturday at Kansas City, despite being listed as questionable for the contest, Brady Henderson of ESPN.com reports.

Goodwin was listed as a full practice participant Tuesday on account of the wrist issue, but he ended up taking a designation into the weekend after downgrading to limited activity Wednesday, when he suffered a lateral ankle sprain in practice. The wideout then sat out Thursday's session entirely, but Carroll suggested Goodwin's absence was mostly rest-related.
I do not love that progression of events.

I'll be checking for the pre-game injury report.

I do not love that progression of events.

I'll be checking for the pre-game injury report.

No doubt...but consider yourself lucky; I have to make the call tonight....will be completely out of pocket all day tomorrow.

Don't like the term "lateral ankle sprain"...perhaps someone with knowledge could share shed some light on that.

Users who are viewing this thread