What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marquise Goodwin (2 Viewers)

I'm starting Goodwin over Ginn and Allison. The matchup is way too juicy to pass up in this potential points bonanza, especially now that Eric Berry is confirmed out.

Anyone who's watching the Chiefs game see him out there running routes? I know he had a rush and a catch early in the game, but he's been very quiet on the stat sheet.

The on thing I'll say in favior of holding Goodwin is that Beathard looked better than he did at the start of his stint last year. The 9ers won't be totally helpless under him, Goodwin will likely eventually have soem good games.

Marquise Goodwin hauled in 2-of-4 targets for 24 yards in the 49ers' Week 4 loss to the Chargers.

He added a four-yard carry. It was a muted effort for Goodwin, who was limited to 37 snaps by a leg injury. He was able to finish the game, but he did not make any catches in the second half. His practice status will be one to watch this week.

Oct 1 - 11:25 AM

Marquise Goodwin hauled in 2-of-5 targets for 24 yards in the 49ers' Week 7 loss to the Rams.

Goodwin left the game briefly with a lower-leg injury, but he was able to return and catch two passes deep into garbage time. It was a disappointing follow up to his 126-yard, two-touchdown explosion on Monday night, but it is promising he easily led the receivers with five targets. The matchup next week in Arizona is not great, but Goodwin will be worth a look as a WR3.

Oct 21 - 8:27 PM

He was a decoy half the game. Don’t understand it
He got locked down by Rams defensive scheme. Also, everyone know Rams are weak at LB which means TEs exploit them. Every team is using the same approach: target your TE and hardly ever throw to the outside. 

It's not particularly surprising that Goodwin had a bad game. Most WRs will against the Rams. 

Marquise Goodwin - WR -  49ers

Marquise Goodwin caught 4-of-5 targets for 69 yards in the 49ers' Week 10 loss to the Giants.

Goodwin's longest catch went for 26 yards on a deep crosser on the third-to-last play of the game with the 49ers down 27-23. The Niners clocked the ball with one second left at the 21-yard line before then having an incomplete pass in the end zone. Goodwin's bigger concern was a pair of helmet shots in the third quarter that had him off the field in the medical tent. He has a lengthy concussion history. The Niners are now on bye before Week 12 against the Bucs.

Nov 12 - 11:57 PM

I was amazed at how he kept coming back in the game. His helmet seemed like a magnet to the Giants.

I was amazed at how he kept coming back in the game. His helmet seemed like a magnet to the Giants.
Watching that game, as a sports medicine guy, I was amazed that he was allowed to go back into the game after the first hit, and was actually a bit pissed that he was allowed back in after the second.  With all of the focus on head injuries, if a guy takes 2 hits to the head and has be tended to on the field, who also has a history of concussions, seems very negligent to me.   I understand that he may have "passed" the initial testing, but symptoms can be delayed several hours.  Didn't seem very smart to me.

Watching that game, as a sports medicine guy, I was amazed that he was allowed to go back into the game after the first hit, and was actually a bit pissed that he was allowed back in after the second.  With all of the focus on head injuries, if a guy takes 2 hits to the head and has be tended to on the field, who also has a history of concussions, seems very negligent to me.   I understand that he may have "passed" the initial testing, but symptoms can be delayed several hours.  Didn't seem very smart to me.
Agreed.  I was shocked he went back in the game at all, and then especially after the 2nd time when he looked to go into that "fencing pose" or whatever it's called.

Agreed.  I was shocked he went back in the game at all, and then especially after the 2nd time when he looked to go into that "fencing pose" or whatever it's called.
Yeah, I couldn't quite tell if he went into that fencing posture or not, or if he was just moving very slowly.  Either way, even athletic trainers at the high school level are well versed in the mantra "when in doubt, sit them out."  It amazes me the inconsistency we've seen in the game time management of head impacts during NFL games.  Guys like Goodwin have no business being allowed to play, and other players barely get grazed and they are pulled into the tent.

Especially when you consider his diagnosed concussion history, which is at least more than a half dozen. 

Coach Kyle Shanahan thinks he can "get other guys in there to take the pressure off of" Marquise Goodwin.

When asked about Goodwin and WR Kendrick Bourne, Shanahan said, "They've been out there a lot as starting receivers, which I don't think always needs to be the case." Bourne will be a rotational option for the 49ers in 2019, but it would be surprising if Goodwin wasn't on the field for most plays given the other options on the roster even with these comments. In 2019, Goodwin was plagued by injuries which limited him to just 23 receptions and 395 yards.

SOURCE: 49ers.com

Mar 31, 2019, 5:11 PM

Seems like a buy low to me, especially with those latest comments. 

People were over the moon for this guy a year ago and I'll get him late in drafts for pennies on the dollar. Jimmy G missed almost the entire season last year so I'm not sure you can draw much from last season. Guys like Pettis and Bourne did better than expected but they were creating chemistry with QB's that SF is hoping won't be on the field this season. A rookie could come in and make all these guys fight for scraps, but if they don't add a significant WR I wouldn't be at all surprised if Goodwin has the best chemistry this offseason with Jimmy G, just like last offseason. The price OAK gave up for AB was just so low it's hard to believe SF is going to make a big push for a WR in the draft if they apparently had little to no interest in AB.

I guess it depends on just how much weight you put on those two and a half games he was healthy.

BoltBacker said:
Seems like a buy low to me, especially with those latest comments. 

People were over the moon for this guy a year ago and I'll get him late in drafts for pennies on the dollar. Jimmy G missed almost the entire season last year so I'm not sure you can draw much from last season. Guys like Pettis and Bourne did better than expected but they were creating chemistry with QB's that SF is hoping won't be on the field this season. A rookie could come in and make all these guys fight for scraps, but if they don't add a significant WR I wouldn't be at all surprised if Goodwin has the best chemistry this offseason with Jimmy G, just like last offseason. The price OAK gave up for AB was just so low it's hard to believe SF is going to make a big push for a WR in the draft if they apparently had little to no interest in AB.

I guess it depends on just how much weight you put on those two and a half games he was healthy.
I'm inclined to ignore last season completely. He had a rough year whole way around.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/51535/deebo-samuel

NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco expects second-round WR Deebo Samuel to be a Week 1 starter.

Samuel was drafted to replace Marquise Goodwin opposite Dante Pettis. He has a slot build at 5'11/214, but the 49ers think he's strong enough to play outside. San Francisco overhauled their receiver corps with Samuel and third-rounder Jalen Hurd. Samuel looks to have a clear path to rookie-year targets.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

Apr 27, 2019, 9:11 AM

I wasn't that down on Goodwin before the draft, but wow. Very early 2nd followed by very early 3rd.

Goodwin leaves almost $5mil in dead money if cut this year, but unless he takes a big paycut there is no way he's on the SF roster going into 2020. Only a ~$1mil cap hit and saves almost $4mil against the cap.

Maybe they can deal him before the season..... for a bag of chips? Back to BUF or maybe to NE? Depth in HOU in case Fuller can't get/stay healthy again? Not a huge fan of Pettis, Bourne, Taylor, James but they are all young and cheap. They also just added Jordan Mathews. Might be in the best interest of Goodwin to get shipped out.

Users who are viewing this thread