What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marlon Brown - let's discuss (1 Viewer)

Yeah, he's clearly someone who should be added in redraft now with Jones out and BAL's defense looking like complete and utter ####. I think he compliments Smith nicely.

I am not sure in redrafts. I like his dynasty prospects a lot more. He's only about 10months removed from an Acl injury right now.

The Ravens need a tough WR, veteran with great hands, great routes and strong. You know, like Boldin.
This kid reminds me a lot of Boldin.
I was thinking Colston actually. I don't know that he'll ever produce at that level but he has nice size and seems to know how to play.

I have Michael Floyd as my "draft and hope" WR 5 and I'm debating on grabbing Brown off of the WW this week.

So thoughts on his production with Jones out? 4-5 catches a week? 50-60 yards? Maybe a TD every other game? I don't know what to expect. I think there is a fair number of targets and production to be had here. Smith is still mainly a fly pattern guy. Pitta out. Dickson and Clark aren't much, and seem to drop a lot of passes...

Last edited by a moderator:
People comparing him to Boldin, Rice, DAX....???

Looks like a rookie to me. Fluid and athletic, but not a very polished route runner. Still I love his upside in that offense, because the Ravens defense has issues and will force shootouts, and I love Joe Flacco's arm.

I just hope he doesn't become the next Vincent Brown or Denarius Moore.
Too early to label V Brown. He will show us what he has this year. The guy has talent. Of course that doesn't always mean it will translate or he won't be prone to injury. He will be the WR1 in SDO this year. Will see where it goes from there.

As for Brown, there is a lot to like. Big frame, athletic. I am buying.

I wonder if anyone has noticed Marlon Brown has scored a Td in 3 straight games! I kno preseason shouldn't count but I think when trying to unearth gems u take it into account. So in the dress rehearsal he goes 4/59 with 24 yd Td with the starters then in game 4 he goes I think 5/95 with 50 yd Td then game 1 reg season the wr ahead of him goes down with injury and he goes 4/60 with 14 yd Td. That's pretty consistent isn't that all we can ask for in a upside Fa flyer? He's got talent now he has the opportunity. Flacco is desparate for a big physical wr to take Boldin spot. Brown is 6'5 sometimes a player shows himself and we gotta trust what we see

If he is starting this week he should be going up against the corners that made Hartline a great start last week. Assuming Haden will be on Smith

Will he produce more than Hartline?

I just hope he doesn't become the next Vincent Brown or Denarius Moore.
Too early to label V Brown. He will show us what he has this year. The guy has talent. Of course that doesn't always mean it will translate or he won't be prone to injury. He will be the WR1 in SDO this year. Will see where it goes from there.

As for Brown, there is a lot to like. Big frame, athletic. I am buying.
If he is starting this week he should be going up against the corners that made Hartline a great start last week. Assuming Haden will be on Smith

Will he produce more than Hartline?
I doubt it because I would think Rice will get more on the ground.

So thoughts on his production with Jones out? 4-5 catches a week? 50-60 yards? Maybe a TD every other game? I don't know what to expect. I think there is a fair number of targets and production to be had here. Smith is still mainly a fly pattern guy. Pitta out. Dickson and Clark aren't much, and seem to drop a lot of passes...
I think that's a pretty reasonable expectation. He's still a rookie and this team isn't going to pass a ton, but Clark and Dickson were really bad in week one. Really bad. So bad they brought in Jake Ballard for a tryout this week. It seems likely that Flacco shifts some attention away from his execrable tight ends and to his running backs and receivers.I was able to grab him in one league. I'm most interested to see how he does when the other D is going full steam. He appears to have the skillset to be productive, but he's only had the preseason and a blowout so far.

We Tigers said:
I think that's a pretty reasonable expectation. He's still a rookie and this team isn't going to pass a ton, but Clark and Dickson were really bad in week one. Really bad. So bad they brought in Jake Ballard for a tryout this week. It seems likely that Flacco shifts some attention away from his execrable tight ends and to his running backs and receivers.I was able to grab him in one league. I'm most interested to see how he does when the other D is going full steam. He appears to have the skillset to be productive, but he's only had the preseason and a blowout so far.
Agreed. At 6'5, I would think at the very least Brown would be a great redzone target in place of Pitta. Could have some good yardage games against weaker corners too.......

We Tigers said:
Agreed. At 6'5, I would think at the very least Brown would be a great redzone target in place of Pitta. Could have some good yardage games against weaker corners too.......
I like him this week A LOT... Smith should be on Haden's island. I feel a Brian Hartline type of Week coming from Marlon Brown this week.

Picked him up today. Had other options like Roberts, Hankerson, Simpson, etc but I feel he has the most upside. With Jacoby going down I feel like he has a 4 week opportunity to take the #2 spot all for himself.

Boldin is gone, Pitta is injured, Jones is injured....someone is going to catch passes in this offense other than TSmith and Rice. They didn't pay Flacco all that money to just hand off the ball. Brown will definitely get plenty of opportunity to be productive this year and so far he seems to be doing well enough to get his role expanded. He had 4 receptions on 6 targets in the first week with Jones starting and playing into the 2nd quarter. Yes, they won't always be playing with the pressure of trying to keep up with the Broncos, but I don't see why he couldn't consistently put up at least WR3 numbers when given the opportunity to prepare with the starting unit and starting the games.

I think Brown is the second best WR FA pick-up of the week (after Edelman).

Picked him up today. Had other options like Roberts, Hankerson, Simpson, etc but I feel he has the most upside. With Jacoby going down I feel like he has a 4 week opportunity to take the #2 spot all for himself.
Same situation and same reasoning for me.

Out of that group I think Brown is also the most attractive trade-bait.

Man, I wanna add Marlon bad. I know this is AC stuff, but if your current WR's were Calvin, Shorts, Britt, G. Tate, M. Austin and Vincent Brown with Justin Hunter and Josh Boyce on Developmental, do you see a droppable guy there for Marlon?

Man, I wanna add Marlon bad. I know this is AC stuff, but if your current WR's were Calvin, Shorts, Britt, G. Tate, M. Austin and Vincent Brown with Justin Hunter and Josh Boyce on Developmental, do you see a droppable guy there for Marlon?
I'm not a fan of Tate but I would try to sell him cheap over dropping him.

Picked him up via drop/add in my dynasty. He wasn't scooped up in waivers (non-resetting waiver priority). Want to add him in redraft, but can't find the space. Should be a weekly contributor.

:blackdot:

Picked him up for $2 ($100 FAAB) in a twelve team redraft. Worth the flier as he passed the eye test to me and I think the Ravens are going to continue to pass it around. Thinking about starting him over V. Brown or Britt as a number WR4 this week.

With Vereen out and Roddy White seemingly unstartable I think I have to start Brown this week. I have more faith in him than Vincent Brown (seemed like an afterthought Monday) or Golden Tate (vs. SF).

Briit sucks. I would #### can his suckage instantly. I'm considering cutting Greg Jennings for Brown.

Briit sucks. I would #### can his suckage instantly. I'm considering cutting Greg Jennings for Brown.
Amen to that. I dropped Britt for Marlon Brown in two leagues this week.

I don't know if Britt sucks as much as it is Locker. I think if you give Britt a good QB he would be just fine.

I think Locker is going to end up as a career back up in time. I don't like his game at all.

In saying that, if Brown is available and your decision is between him and Britt I think you take Brown.

If Fitzpatrick ends up under center I think you could see Britt starting to post some good numbers. Fitz is a below average NFL starting QB, but he is better than Locker.

I don't know if Britt sucks as much as it is Locker. I think if you give Britt a good QB he would be just fine.

I think Locker is going to end up as a career back up in time. I don't like his game at all.

In saying that, if Brown is available and your decision is between him and Britt I think you take Brown.

If Fitzpatrick ends up under center I think you could see Britt starting to post some good numbers. Fitz is a below average NFL starting QB, but he is better than Locker.
This is true. But I can't see them giving up on Locker easily so Britt's suckage will continue.

I dropped Britt for Brown as well. Considering starting him over roddy white this week unless we hear some good news on white.

My heart tells me you're all correct with Marlon for Britt.

But am I the only one worried about the fact that Britt's only 24 years old and possibly set to become a FA? Just can't shake the feeling I'm dropping Britt at his absolute lowest.

But am I the only one worried about the fact that Britt's only 24 years old and possibly set to become a FA? Just can't shake the feeling I'm dropping Britt at his absolute lowest.
Problem is knee hurts all the time, and he has been low all career except for the start of 2011 it seems.............

You're not alone. I'd keep him over a middling talent like Golden Tate.

It does feel like Brown and Britt are extremely close in value at this moment. I agree with the sentiment of Britt being too young to completely give up on him, but it's likely he won't see a value bump this season. If he's on the end of your bench, I'd probably go with Brown instead, as he has a much better chance of being the higher valued player in a couple months. At that point you may be able to find room for Britt or move Brown, etc.

You're not alone. I'd keep him over a middling talent like Golden Tate.
See, this is the decision in my mind.

It's Tate/situation vs. Britt/talent and are either (both?) of those less than Marlon long term. Only thing that has me leaning toward dropping Tate is Percy's somewhere right now getting healthy and hungry.

It does feel like Brown and Britt are extremely close in value at this moment. I agree with the sentiment of Britt being too young to completely give up on him, but it's likely he won't see a value bump this season. If he's on the end of your bench, I'd probably go with Brown instead, as he has a much better chance of being the higher valued player in a couple months. At that point you may be able to find room for Britt or move Brown, etc.
Astute observation. Can't rule out flipping Marlon for value elsewhere and picking up Britt again at the yearly waiver deadline.

Still a FA in my league, waivers run tonight. Considering dumping James Jones for him. Might be a little soon but I didn't like what I saw in the Niners game. Jones had an early drop and was only targeted twice all game, Rodgers seemed to be throwing constantly to Cobb, Nelson and Finley instead, appeared to have no confidence in Jones and didn't throw to him in the redzone either. Marlon now has a key opportunity with Jacoby Jones injury and played well week one (or appeared to by the statline).

Now the other promising rookie Wr for the Ravens Aaron Melette is out for the season Brown if he can stay healthy gonna get a lot of Time!!

Now the other promising rookie Wr for the Ravens Aaron Melette is out for the season Brown if he can stay healthy gonna get a lot of Time!!
I don't think Mellette was any real threat to Brown anyway to be perfectly honest...

I don't think Mellette was any real threat to Brown anyway to be perfectly honest...
Agree. This is setting up awfully well for Brown if the coaches are/get comfortable with him as an integral part of the game planning.

I was able nab both Brown and Thompkins in one of my dynasty leagues very early in the preseason. I was hoping to sell high on one/both for future draft picks when/if the opportunity arises as the season progresses. This could very possibly change. It's a fluid situation; with their weekly matchups being the key this early in the season.

As impressive as Brown has been thus far, I don't believe he's fully 100% after his late season ACL tear at Georgia. This gives me reason for optimism going forward. He's probably a hold for me currently and should light up Skrine/Owens vs Cleveland this week. Of course, if Thompkins- a UDFA-can have any success vs Cromartie that would be an impressive showing on national TV. Targets shouldn't be an excuse.

Brown seemed up to the challenge when asked to step into a primetime TV situation with everyone watching last Thursday vs Den. We'll see what Thompkins does with his opportunity in NE's home opener

Sorry for the hijack into Thompkins territory, but their similarities seemed relevant to this thread.

Wow, hadn't seen that yet. Interesting.
So that leaves T. Smith, Stokley, and Tandon Doss as the only other healthy WRs on the roster, and I think it's safe to assume Smith and Dallas Clark are his main competition for receptions. With the team knowing Haden will be on Smith, and having had a week to work him into the game plan more than his surprise shove into it last week's allowed, I think that Brown is a quality flex start this week in 10-14 team leagues. I don't think 75+ yards and an outside shot of a touchdown is an unreasonable expectation given Hartline's performance last Sunday. In PPR leagues I think he's an even safer play.

This could be VERY premature but what are the odds that he ends up as their #1 wr?
Right now, it's hard to put odds on it. But there is a growing belief that T Smith isn't a true, all-around WR1. This opens up the spot for Brown, but no one knows if he is a true 1 either. If he goes out week in and week out and shoes confidence, chemistry with Flacco, and can run most routes, then yes. So in conclusion, the spot is more open here than most places, but who he becomes will determine it.

Right now I have Brown in over Doug Baldwin, Nate Burleson, Kendall Wright and Chris Givens.

I love the matchup here if they do stick Haden on Smith. No way to know that of course until the game starts though : <_<

Users who are viewing this thread