What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marlon Brown - let's discuss (1 Viewer)

Wake up Flacco. Stokley is a slow, fossil. Clark is right with him with zero seperation. Dickson has stone hands. Torrey Smith is just a deep threat. If you want to move the ball, you move it with Marlon Brown

Brown was wide open deep, but Flacco got hit while he was throwing a little while ago.

I like Brown as a WR3 for teams lacking WR depth -- assuming Jacoby "stone hands" Jones is out for any period of time.

I think I'd rather have 49ers Patten at this point.

Ooops maybe spoke to soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked him up in one league yesterday(didn't start him)...I'm going to target him in my other 2 leagues.

It looks like Flacco might have found his #2 receiver

I picked him up in one league yesterday(didn't start him)...I'm going to target him in my other 2 leagues.

It looks like Flacco might have found his #2 receiver
He has promise but he has a long way to go to be worthy of fantasy.

Depends how deep your league is. My one league has shallow benches, so I won't target him. But, I've played in very deep leagues before where he should, especially now, definitely be rostered imo.

Why does Brown always look like he just stepped out of a time machine with that "wtf am i doing here" look on his face?

Probably wouldn't bother with him in redraft. Excited about his potential in dynasty. It's tough for any rookie WR to get on the field and make plays, especially a UDFA. It bodes well for his future that he's already able to hang at this level. There's a lot of season left, but if he finishes with 500-800 receiving yards then it will be a very successful debut campaign.

Anyone else on board with this guy as a super sleeper this year? Someone has to catch balls in Baltimore besides Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones is not a real number 2 WR, and Brown did well last week playing with Flacco, who seems to like him, so I think he is one of those sneaky late picks that will work out well for fantasy players who took a shot. I've got him on two teams so far ($1 in both auctions).
Ummm, can you work for the greater good and tell me this weekends powerball numbers?

peace
Haha, I will see what I can do.

Keeping perspective, it was nice to see what he did tonight, but he was clearly the number 4 before Jacoby Jones got hurt, and only caught 3 balls in the second half despite the Ravens throwing it the entire 2nd half, so it is not like he lit the world on fire. But a nice start nonetheless.

Excellent debut. He didn't jump off the screen but when JJ went out he stepped right into the lineup and looked like he belonged. I would imagine both the coaches and Flacco want him to be a part of their plans going forward.

I would say Torrey Smith is going to be the No 1 WR or guy to have on this team for some time to come. Not knocking Brown, he is going to be needed on this team all season, the Ravens are leaning on Dallas Clark too much right now.

Ministry of Pain said:
I would say Torrey Smith is going to be the No 1 WR or guy to have on this team for some time to come. Not knocking Brown, he is going to be needed on this team all season, the Ravens are leaning on Dallas Clark too much right now.
As a Smith owner last season (and I was VERY high on him prior to the start of last season) I'm going to say that designation is WIDE OPEN right now on the Ravens. Sooner or later Flacco will have to trust and throw his receivers open, and I'm not particularly impressed with Smith in those situations. If in the next game Brown fights for a few jump balls and catches well in traffic, then this situation is going to get very interesting and Smith may just be the "no.1 receiver" in title only.

Ministry of Pain said:
As a Smith owner last season (and I was VERY high on him prior to the start of last season) I'm going to say that designation is WIDE OPEN right now on the Ravens. Sooner or later Flacco will have to trust and throw his receivers open, and I'm not particularly impressed with Smith in those situations. If in the next game Brown fights for a few jump balls and catches well in traffic, then this situation is going to get very interesting and Smith may just be the "no.1 receiver" in title only.
There's a little bit of a dream here that I can't go along with right now. I think Smith is light years ahead of Brown right now. Are we talking 2013 here?

Smith is absolutely the No 1 WR on the Ravens right now.

Ministry of Pain said:
There's a little bit of a dream here that I can't go along with right now. I think Smith is light years ahead of Brown right now. Are we talking 2013 here?

I don't disagree that he's the No.1 receiver RIGHT NOW, but as I said, things have a chance to get interesting if Jones is out for a lengthy period of time. My reservations with Smith have more to do with his ability to beat press coverage than anything I've seen from Brown.

Ministry of Pain said:

I don't disagree that he's the No.1 receiver RIGHT NOW, but as I said, things have a chance to get interesting if Jones is out for a lengthy period of time. My reservations with Smith have more to do with his ability to beat press coverage than anything I've seen from Brown.
TY for replying, much better understanding of what you meant, good points.

Old man Dallas Clark and stone hands Dickson dropping balls in Pitta's stead doesn't build Flacco's confidence in them. Jacoby Jones and Torrey Smith being fast, but not strong route runners. I think Brown has a legitimate and wide open shot at developing into the 1a-c in this offense alongside Pitta and Torrey Smith. He's a big kid, and Flacco needs him to catch jump balls like Bolden did the second half of last year. I think Marlon's play on the field (secondarily, Jones getting hurt) will force Balt to game-plan with Brown's skill set more in mind next week.

I just hope he doesn't become the next Vincent Brown or Denarius Moore.
Not sure I get the reference to the specific players, unless you mean the hype train getting out of control. Moore put up 618/5 in 13 games his rookie year, and 741/7 in year 2. Either would be pretty fine lines for Brown this year, right?

Not sure I get the reference to the specific players, unless you mean the hype train getting out of control. Moore put up 618/5 in 13 games his rookie year, and 741/7 in year 2. Either would be pretty fine lines for Brown this year, right?
I was referring to them never really getting their careers off the ground after what appeared to be very promising starts.

I was referring to them never really getting their careers off the ground after what appeared to be very promising starts.
With respect to Vincent, he was lost for the year after a very promising camp. This year might be make or break if he doesn't flash.

I agree, but I've been hearing about Vincent Brown for a long time and he hasn't really done anything since he burst onto the scene. That's all I meant.

Marlon Brown has been rostered in most dynasty leagues since week 3 of the preseason.
True. I like taking fliers on pre-week 3 performers just to avoid the league-wide mad rush in picking them up if they happen to do anything week 1 (or even pre-week 4 for that matter). Took Brown as a long shot in both of my dynasties that week. Would be really nice if it pays off.

anyone else get him confused with torrey smith a few times with the brades and all?

I keep forgetting Torrey cut his. and now Marlon has them

anyone else get him confused with torrey smith a few times with the brades and all?
Yeah I did that too. So many guys have dreads/braids/whatever these days that if you don't know their jersey number you've got to wait for the commentators to mention the player's name (which can be a few minute wait with some of these commentators sometimes).

With JJ hurt where do you see his value? He has the physical tools and held a calm demeanor getting thrown in like that. Hopefully I can pick him up with my #3 ww pick.

Looks like a B+ talent in an A+ situation. If I'm o-coordinator in Baltimore, shifting week1 targets from Stokely and Dallas Clark to Brown is a top priority.

If Jones misses time and the defense continues to play like that, I've gotta believe he'll have flex value at the least....

(RotoWire)Jones was diagnosed with a sprained MCL in his right knee and could be out four-to-six weeks, the Baltimore Sun reports.Analysis: Jones underwent an MRI on Friday to examine his right knee that was injured on a collision with a teammate during Thursday's season opening loss to the Broncos. He avoided significant damage in the knee, but a sprain in the MCL can often vary in the degree of severity and could be something that would keep him out of action. The team is already planning to look at receivers in free agency, which seems to indicate Jones may be missing some time. Until he returns, Marlon Brown could step into the No. 2 wide receiver role for the Ravens

marlon brown is gonna take that and run with it..

the team is better off with him as the 2.

jj as the 3.

stokley as a 4.

As a Baltimore Ravens fan I'm not sure how big of a fantasy impact he's gonna make but by the end if the season barring injury Marlon Brown will be the best Wr on the team. Also watch for Aaron Melette to slide into the lineup. Both big physical wr which we desperately need. Our wr ESP. Torrey cannot beat press coverage Torrey is fine in space but once he's pressed he has minimal effect. These 2 big receivers are the top to go get the ball when they not open like Boldin

for those that are shallow in the wr position why not take a flyer on him? the baltimore run game looked terrible, torrey smith wasnt spectacular and how many drops did the clark/dickson combo put up?

Just saw that Brown had his 4-67-1 line on only six targets. Pretty efficient for a guy in his first NFL game, and it's reason for optimism that it wasn't volume-based despite the fact that Flacco threw 60+ times.

Boldin had 7.5 targets per game the last two years. Something between 4.25 and 4.75 catches per game is pretty reasonable if he can claim those looks. At 14-15 per that's 60-72 yards and something like .42-.52 TDs per game.

Works out to be a ppg range of 12.8 to 15.0, with an average of 13.9 -- solid WR2 territory. I think that's his upside this year. Even if he's a talented guy he probably won't become a target hog in 2013.

Not saying he'll reach that, just trying to get a feel for his ceiling.

Marlon Brown will start opposite Torrey Smith

A magnetic resonance imaging exam Friday revealed that Ravens Pro Bowl kick returner Jacoby Jonessprained his medial collateral ligament in his right knee, league sources told The Baltimore Sun. The injury isn't expected to require surgery and should heal on its own, but could sideline the wide receiver for anywhere from four-to-six weeks. (Baltimore Sun)

Just saw that Brown had his 4-67-1 line on only six targets. Pretty efficient for a guy in his first NFL game, and it's reason for optimism that it wasn't volume-based despite the fact that Flacco threw 60+ times.

Boldin had 7.5 targets per game the last two years. Something between 4.25 and 4.75 catches per game is pretty reasonable if he can claim those looks. At 14-15 per that's 60-72 yards and something like .42-.52 TDs per game.

Works out to be a ppg range of 12.8 to 15.0, with an average of 13.9 -- solid WR2 territory. I think that's his upside this year. Even if he's a talented guy he probably won't become a target hog in 2013.

Not saying he'll reach that, just trying to get a feel for his ceiling.
Standing in a 6' 5" I wouldn't be surprised if he could become one of Flacco's favorite targets. He's big and strong and the type of WR that you can just throw a ball up in the air out of the corners range and see if he comes down with it. I think his ceiling would be him becoming Flacco's favorite red zone target on those corner fades. Think like... 2007 Plaxico Burress. I'd say that's his ceiling.

Users who are viewing this thread