What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

M Lattimore, RB, SC (2 Viewers)

However, I doubt he will ever be trusted to carry the load full time in the NFL with his bruising running style and injury history. His biggest FF impact is probably going to be taking away TDs at the goal line for the next couple of years. Pairing him in the backfield with a guy like Spiller would be perfect.
Are two freak accidents really an injury history, though? Replace any human being in that moment in time, and I think we all end up like Lattimore, other RBs included.

'FreeBaGeL said:
'petenice15 said:
Anytime a PCL is involved, it makes the injury much more significant. The rehab takes much longer and one can question if he'll ever get back to what he was. With that said, he is a young elite athlete who will have every opportunity to succeed. Personally, I just can't see him making a significant contribution to whatever team takes a chance on him based on my experience in dealing with such injuries. But I will also admit that I didn't think Peterson had a chance at having this insane of a season, so it just goes to pove that every patient is different and rehabs on a different time frame.
Is there anything that supports this? It seems that all we heard last year was that Peterson's injury was extra severe because he didn't just tear an ACL, he tore 3 ligaments including his MCL, which was the really bad one that makes things much worse. Now, after he bounced back in ridiculous fashion, suddenly the PCL is the ligament that matters and is going to hold a guy out longer?It seems like any time someone bounces back from one of these injuries everyone just finds a new ligament that they claim is "the one that really makes things bad". With modern medical technology healing these ligaments back to near 100%, is there really anything that says that tearing three of them is significantly worse than two, or that four is significantly worse than three? It's not like they have to heal consecutively one after the other. They all get the same rest and rehab after the surgery.I understand that having another ligament to rehab and have something potentially go wrong with adds some additional risk. I'm just not convinced that it's the significant difference that some are making it out to be, and history doesn't seem to say otherwise. In fact, of the players with major knee injuries last year their return to old form (Peterson, Charles, Mendenhall) seems to be the inverse of their injury mildness (Mendenhall, Charles, Peterson).
The PCL is the ligament that prevents the lower leg from migrating backwards out of the knee joint. It is most stressed when the hamstring is pulling hard to flex the knee, or when the lower leg is hit hard from the front, like D linemen falling on the outstretched plant foot of the QB while throwing - though that usually leads to a hyperextension, if PCL is compromised could do a lot more damage or dislocate the knee. PCL injuries happen most often in car accidents. The PCL is also the least necessary of the four knee ligaments and routinely takes the least strain, though I am not so sure that this is true with NFL RBs who have hamstrings bigger and stronger than most people's glutes. Last point is that the PCL is the hardest to reach of the 4 ligaments from a surgical perspective. Repair is difficult, and total success is far from certain. For most of us non-elite athletes, the best option is to live life without a PCL after it has been torn, and just wear a knee brace if doing anything too vigorous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mayock: Marcus Lattimore to be drafted in 3rd round By Chris WesselingAround the League Writer
South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore insisted last month that he would be recovered from his devastating knee injury in time for the start of the 2013 NFL season.NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock backed up that sentiment on a Monday conference call. Citing people familiar with the rehab, Mayock hears that Lattimore is "way ahead of schedule." Dr. James Andrews had previously predicted that Lattimore is going to "shock the world" with his post-injury form.Mayock has compared Lattimore's prospects to those of Willis McGahee (2003, 23rd overall pick), Bruce Carter (2011, 40th pick) and Ryan Broyles (2012, 54th pick). McGahee's injury was the most similar, and he spent his entire rookie season on the PUP list before breaking out for 1,128 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns in his second season.After raising eyebrows over the weekend by ranking Lattimore as a top-five prospect at his position, Mayock told reporters the Gamecocks star will likely be drafted somewhere in the third round. Viewed as a potential early first-round pick prior to a 2011 ACL injury, Lattimore was believed to be drawing late first- or early second-round grades before tearing his right anterior cruciate, posterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in October.Since team shouldn't expect an NFL impact for two years, Mayock believes the third-round tag is "fair for him."What's worrisome about Lattimore compared to McGahee is that the former had already shown a loss of explosiveness -- particularly as a receiver out of the backfield -- before his latest knee reconstruction.

Marcus Lattimore plans to prove he can play in NFL ... this year

By Jeff Darlington

Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network

GULF BREEZE, Fla. -- Midway through the conversation, as South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore started to get deep about his destiny last week, the receptionist seated behind a desk just a few feet away started to cry.

As she overheard Lattimore, who was chatting with NFL.com from a plush sofa chair in the lobby of Athletes' Performance at the Andrews Institute, she stood up, walked around her desk and kissed Lattimore's forehead with tears in her eyes.

"I've just been sitting over there crying as I'm listening," said Judy Pilkington, who has been working the front desk at API more than four years. "When (Lattimore) got hurt, I prayed immediately. I didn't even know him, but I felt like I knew him. People love him. And now he's here with me. Isn't that precious?"

Pilkington kissed his forehead again -- still crying -- and continued.

"He's awesome," she said. "He's just awesome. I'm telling you. We get a lot of good guys here (at Athletes' Performance). He is ... incredible."

This week, Lattimore temporarily will leave this rehabilitation facility in the Florida panhandle to attend the NFL's Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. He won't participate in any workouts. He won't run the 40-yard dash. He'll only meet with team executives, coaches and doctors as he continues his return from a gruesome knee injury that derailed a thrilling college career only four months ago.

And if you think a few dozen meetings at the combine won't do enough to improve Lattimore's draft status, which has been jeopardized by the two scars on his left knee and a third scar on his right knee, you might very well be underestimating the power of his personality; of his drive; of his relentless yet humble belief that he is indeed destined for success.

"Man, I don't know, but I feel like ... after the injury happened, I started thinking," Lattimore said. "I'm destined for this. I'm supposed to come back from this. Maybe it's just to help someone else in the future that's going to go through the same exact thing. Somebody is going to tear his ACL in his sophomore year. He's going to be a great player. Then, he's going to tear it his junior year. Then, he's going to look it up. And he's going to find some motivation in my story.

"I feel like I'm destined for this. I'm not worried about anything. I know I'm going to come back and be great."

In a week at the combine when teams will be combing every facet of a player's demeanor, every element of their background, every inch of their bodies, Lattimore's injury will require him to sell himself beyond the norm.

And he might just be capable of doing it.

'I'm praying for you'

A few minutes after two University of Tennessee defenders sandwiched Lattimore's knee on Oct. 27, 2012, abruptly ending a season in which he'd rushed for 100-plus yards three times in eight previous games, something very unusual happened.

Lattimore was on his back at midfield, cringing in pain after his knee twisted the opposite direction of his body, when his teammates began to leave the bench. The entire team -- literally every player -- surrounded their leader as trainers worked.

Then, the strangest part: Dozens of Tennessee players started to also do the same.

"I've never seen that happen before," says Lattimore, who has only watched a replay of the injury one time since it happened. "I didn't know what to think, to tell you the truth. But there was a lot of support. So much support. Not even just from Tennessee. I actually got letters from South America. It was crazy. One person wrote, 'I'm not a football fan, but I've heard about you, and I'm praying for you.'"

Fifteen minutes after the injury, LSU coach Les Miles tweeted, "So sad to see the injury to Marcus Lattimore. Strong kid! We wish him well in his recovery." And 16 minutes after that, former Georgia linebacker David Pollack tweeted, "I never heard Marcus Lattimore talk about himself over the last three years. Unselfish and as humble as a kid as I've ever been around."

It's difficult to pinpoint why Lattimore, in the months since his injury, earned such support. Maybe it was his play on the field, which included such accolades as Sporting News NCAA Freshman of the Year during his only fully healthy season. Maybe it was the gruesome nature of his knee injury. Or maybe it is, indeed, a personality that lights up the people around him.

"I'll tell you what -- that's what this guy does," said physical therapist Stephen LaPlante, who works with Lattimore and dozens of other high-profile athletes after they've been surgically repaired by highly esteemed surgeon James Andrews. "People come in here, and they know who he is, and they see what he's doing, and he's doing it with a huge smile. I think he motivates people.

"Patients will ask me, 'How far out is he?' He's three months from surgery. But nobody believes it. He's three months out and he's already doing this much? It's pure motivation for people."

RG3: 'He's going to be awesome'

Walking from the lobby of API toward a therapy pool, the same one currently being used by Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III during his own knee rehabilitation, Lattimore had a sudden impulse to show off the strength in his knee.

He started skipping down the hallway, bounding from each foot as his head flirted with the ceiling, each leap made while wearing an ear-to-ear grin.

"See?" Lattimore said. "I could be running on land right now. No problem."

But Lattimore isn't regularly running yet at the orders of his doctors and physical therapists, who continue to monitor his progress since surgery in December. Lattimore instead says he's saving that next step until "the day" he returns from the combine. LaPlante has a different plan for him, hoping to wait at least another month, but not because Lattimore can't do it now.

Instead, he wants to keep Lattimore on an appropriate schedule, even as the running back continues to climb quickly beyond original expectations. For now, Lattimore continues to do extensive exercises on land while limiting his running to an underwater treadmill.

"He's been here a little over seven weeks," LaPlante said last week. "So from where he came when he got in here with this massive limp, when I'm saying he should still be on crutches, to where he is now in a four-month period, it's just amazing. He's one of the best guys I've ever worked with as far as work ethic."

LaPlante, however, said it's difficult to compare Lattimore's progress to anyone else. Very few people -- and no, not Adrian Peterson -- have suffered a knee injury as extensive as Lattimore.

"Three-ligament injuries are not normal. He is, in my opinion, further along than I would expect him to be at this time," LaPlante said. "But to say that's any different than anyone else, that's tough to say. It's hard to compare. You don't see these injuries very often.

"The swelling is minimal to none. His muscle strength is excellent. His gait is perfect. So he's definitely on the right track."

Whatever the short-term outlook, there is little discrepancy on the long-term outlook. Lattimore says he believes he will, indeed, be able to play football during the upcoming NFL season. And he plans to reward whatever team drafts him.

"My goal for these next few months is to participate in South Carolina's pro day (on March 27) or push our own personal pro day back to April," Lattimore said. "Man, I honestly feel like I can play this year. I know my body. I know if I'm progressing the way I am, I'll be ready to play. I won't have to sit out a year.

"Whatever happens, once I get on that team, if they feel like I should wait a few games, if they feel like I should sit out a year, it's what's best for me. I at least want to put some input into it and see how I feel."

Then what? Well, perhaps the most poignant opinion comes from Griffin, the player who has watched first hand as Lattimore rehabilitates his knee. In a text message, Griffin's endorsement of his new friend was a simple one: "He's going to be awesome."

'Appreciate the gift'

A few weeks after Lattimore suffered his second season-ending knee injury in as many years, the outpouring of support was constant. But it was a pair of text messages -- both from unfamiliar numbers with 305 area codes -- that truly inspired Lattimore to maintain his focus.

San Francisco 49ers running back Frank Gore and Denver Broncos running back Willis McGahee, who both suffered torn knee ligaments at the University of Miami during their college careers, each sent their unsolicited support.

"Frank Gore had multiples surgeries on his knees, and he's been playing in the NFL for eight years. Willis' injury was pretty much the same as mine, and Dr. Andrews also did his. Both guys tell me the same thing.

"They would have been Top 5 or Top 15 picks if they hadn't gotten hurt. But it made them appreciate the gift that they do have. And that's how I look at it now."

Lattimore continues to talk to both players during his rehabilitation, getting advice and inspiration from them. McGahee, like Lattimore, declared for the NFL draft before recovering from tears to his ACL, MCL and PCL. While McGahee was still drafted in the first round by the Bills with the 23rd overall selection, Lattimore might need to wait slightly longer to hear his own name called.

"I think he goes somewhere in the third round," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said Monday. "And that's, you know, if he was a late-one to a mid-two [when] healthy. I think a third-round pick is fair for him because you're probably going to get your most production starting two years out."

Mayock added that Lattimore's interviews with teams at the combine will nonetheless be important for his stock, since teams will want to know their risk will be worth it. That, again, is where Lattimore's potential becomes even more intriguing.

He isn't likely to simply ease any wonder about him -- he is instead more likely to impress them to the point of an increased grade on their draft board. It is his personality and attitude that make Lattimore a major asset in the locker room as much as his skills make him an asset on the field.

"I've been fortunate," Lattimore said. "I've been fortunate to be surrounded with great coaches. I have great parents. Great people. I hung out with the right people.

"I'm going to continue to be myself. It's worked since middle school. It worked in high school. It continued to work in college. And I don't see why it won't work at the next level. I'm being myself. I'm doing everything I can. I'm working hard, I'm keeping my faith in the Lord, and that's all I can do."

'It happened for a reason'

For the next two months, Lattimore knows he must continue to show teams why they'd be wise to invest in him. But he isn't currently working so hard to get drafted - he is also focused on making an impact in the league as soon as possible.

Since his knee injury occurred, Lattimore said he's never felt sorry for himself, never felt any resentment for his misfortunes. Yes, shortly after the injury, he was very down. But it was only days before his mentality would change for good.

"I remember so many guys in high school and college who would kill to be in my position right now, even with the injury," Lattimore said. "They'd kill to be in a position to go to the NFL and do what you dream. And the main things I feel like, I can't take this for granted. Not one day. Ever.

"I'll never complain. Ever since this happened, I'll never complain about anything in my life."

And so, Lattimore pushes forward. He continues to work toward a full recovery from the gruesome injury that caused compassion from a nation of college football fans. He continues his efforts toward paving a legacy that will be known for much more than the misfortunes that abruptly concluded his college career.

And he will do so without looking back and wondering what if those two Tennessee defenders never met his knee at the same time. He'll look to the future, when he plans to prove this was all part of making him a stronger person, the kind of person that inspires those around him and drives them to cheer him on.

"I've been hit 2,000 times in my career I get hit in my knees 80 percent of the time. It just happened that one time. There's nothing that could have changed it. It happened for a reason. And now, I'm going to prove it."

'KellysHeroes said:
2 ACL tears and a dislocated knee cap before he enters the NFL, call it what you want but I'll pass
Modern medical science not withstanding, I tend to agree here. He's not ADP. Nobody is ADP.

'KellysHeroes said:
2 ACL tears and a dislocated knee cap before he enters the NFL, call it what you want but I'll pass
Modern medical science not withstanding, I tend to agree here. He's not ADP. Nobody is ADP.
He's not Charles nor McGahee either.
Somebody is going to take a chance on him earlier than people expect. I don't think there is any way he lasts past the top of the third round, and he'll probably be gone somewhere in the second round. The risk versus reward makes him worth it anywhere in the third, IMO. He was a top 10 pick before that injury, in an age of devalued RBs.

'KellysHeroes said:
Somebody is going to take a chance on him earlier than people expect. I don't think there is any way he lasts past the top of the third round, and he'll probably be gone somewhere in the second round. The risk versus reward makes him worth it anywhere in the third, IMO. He was a top 10 pick before that injury, in an age of devalued RBs.
He was possibly a future top-10 pick before the first injury. After that one, but before this most recent horrific one, he still hadn't regained his burst. He was talked about as a possible 2nd rounder, and his game was slowly improving, then he suffered the most recent, scary injury.Lets not act like he was AP or even Trent before this latest injury. He was already damaged goods and hadn't returned to form yet.

'KellysHeroes said:
IMO he wasn't going to go in the top 10 this year even if he didn't have a second knee injury. He didn't look like himself this year and that was after a much less devastating injury. I do think he's a good risk/reward for teams starting in the late 2nd.

'KellysHeroes said:
This is true...

Whether that will be a starting opportunity, though, is anyones guess. Heck, Buffalo could draft him to take over from Fred Jackson next year, that just wouldn't necessarily be relevant for FF purposes, and unlikely to be in 2013. However, strange things do happen on occasion.

Whether that will be a starting opportunity, though, is anyones guess. Heck, Buffalo could draft him to take over from Fred Jackson next year, that just wouldn't necessarily be relevant for FF purposes, and unlikely to be in 2013. However, strange things do happen on occasion.
Right, or the Ravens feel they don't need much since they just won the superbowl and he was sitting there in the 3rd or 4th and take him on sheer best player available type deal

Frank Gore tore both his ACLs in college too. Lattimore looked like an elite NCAA RB to me before his injuries. Way too early to say he's not this or that, imo.

Frank Gore tore both his ACLs in college too. Lattimore looked like an elite NCAA RB to me before his injuries. Way too early to say he's not this or that, imo.
Gore was
prior to his knee injuries.

This is true...
I don't know if he was a top 10 pick pre-injury, but I agree with the late 2nd-early 3rd floor for his draft stock. top 50 isn't out of the question. He has peerless character and most of the people who have been around him lately are really buying into his future. His personality creates converts.

From Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore is unlikely to help the team that selects him during his rookie season."The medicals on him are not great," said Mort. "Dr. (James) Andrews, who did the surgery, says it's one of the toughest surgeries he's ever had. ... You take Marcus Lattimore, you're taking him for 2014. Nobody wants to shoot down the inspiration for him, but the bottom line is it's going to be a long road." This is the first negative, albeit realistic, report we have read, but expect Lattimore to draw a middle round selection.

From Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore is unlikely to help the team that selects him during his rookie season."The medicals on him are not great," said Mort. "Dr. (James) Andrews, who did the surgery, says it's one of the toughest surgeries he's ever had. ... You take Marcus Lattimore, you're taking him for 2014. Nobody wants to shoot down the inspiration for him, but the bottom line is it's going to be a long road." This is the first negative, albeit realistic, report we have read, but expect Lattimore to draw a middle round selection.
oof tough break for the kid

Hmmmmm. A tough surgery does not mean it wasnt successful. The way I understand HIPAA, Andrews really can't say squat about the condition of Lattimore. Particularly to a reporter. I think the guy is not doing much in 2013, but this is not why. This to me is a total BS fluff piece. If Andrews disclosed that the guy wouldn't play till 2014 he would be subject to a lawsuit and be charged with violating HIPAA

Hmmmmm. A tough surgery does not mean it wasnt successful. The way I understand HIPAA, Andrews really can't say squat about the condition of Lattimore. Particularly to a reporter. I think the guy is not doing much in 2013, but this is not why. This to me is a total BS fluff piece. If Andrews disclosed that the guy wouldn't play till 2014 he would be subject to a lawsuit and be charged with violating HIPAA
All he said was that it was one of the toughest surgeries he's ever done. From what we know about the injury that doesn't as any surprise. I think it's optimistic to think he'll play this year but we've seen amazing things lately.

My wife is in the medical field, and I am always surprised by the comments you hear coming from James Andrews and others...I am guessing the players sign something that allows the doctor to speak about the surgery or the team is allowed to disclose medical updates of injuries happened on the job (this would not be a case for Lattimore).

My wife is in the medical field, and I am always surprised by the comments you hear coming from James Andrews and others...I am guessing the players sign something that allows the doctor to speak about the surgery or the team is allowed to disclose medical updates of injuries happened on the job (this would not be a case for Lattimore).
Maybe that's it. Because this sounds nuts to me that he could say that about the guy. That could greatly impact the guy's earning potential which is part of why HIPAA exists. But getting back to the Mort post. The guy cites that Andrews said it was a tough surgery. Inferring from that statement that he won't play in 2013 is a non sequitor. He didn't quote Andrews saying, "I don't think Marcus will play in 2013," he said the surgery was tough. Nobody should be surprised by that. Again, I doubt he plays in 2013 either, but the quote by Mort and the inference he made from it seem off to me...

Just judging by what you have to sign to release your own lab work and medical records even to family members, he'd have to sign something to allow Andrews to release any information.My guess is that the players sign something that says medical reports can be released to teams requesting them.Mort could be getting his info from an unidentified source within a specific team.And given the piece NFLN was showing on Lattimore, with Lattimore's participation, I'm sure he signed releases, etc.

I think this is the type of guy a team like the rams or Niners take a chance on somewhere with their extra picks.

Much like Michael Bush, you have a player that showed a lot and then met a significant injury and it leaves teams that have the extra drafting space to say "we can swing for a homerun, long-term".

In FF, I like him if I'm a team that is squarely in the "competing for titles" window where I can get him lower than what he would have went prior to the injury and I don't NEED him right away and I can just stash him and see what happens.

ROSEMONT, Ill., Nov. 30 /PRNewswire/ -- The good news for NFL players

who sustain an injury to their anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is that

they'll likely play again in the NFL. The bad news is, they'll return with

diminished performance on the field, concludes a study in the December

issue of The American Journal of Sports Medicine.

"Although there have been over 2000 articles on the ACL in the past 20

years, only a few have focused on the pro player," writes author James L.

Carey MD and colleagues from the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery,

University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pa. "Our study

is the first to objectively measure an NFL player's performance before and

after an ACL injury." (Dr. Carey is now affiliated with Vanderbilt Sports

Medicine, Nashville, Tenn.)

Brian J. Sennett MD, co-author and Chief of Sports Medicine at the

University of Pennsylvania, believes "this article will have significant

impact on setting appropriate expectations for the injured players, their

agents, team owners, and fans. It is the first article to establish that

injuries may have a significant negative impact on a player's performance

if they are able to return to action."

The researchers collected data on ACL injuries sustained by NFL running

backs (RBs) and wide receivers (WRs) during a five-year period (1998-2002).

This data came from NFL game summaries, play-by-play documents, weekly

injury reports, and player profiles. The injury group was compared to a

control group consisting of all NFL RBs and WRs without an identified ACL

injury who played during the 2000 season.

Carey, Sennett and colleagues devised a unique measurement of game

performance output in the professional athlete. They assigned a "power

rating" for every player in every season, defined as a weighted sum of

total yards and touchdowns, likely the most important statistics of RB and

WR performance. The power ratings for the 3 seasons prior to ACL injury

were compared to the power ratings for the 3 seasons following ACL injury.

Data were analyzed for 31 players with 33 ACL injuries. Of the injured

players, 21 percent (7 of 33 ACL injuries) never returned to play in

another regular season NFL game. Of the 79 percent that did return, most

players returned to action 9 to 12 months after an ACL injury.

For those players who returned to NFL action following an ACL injury,

performance fell by one-third, the researchers found. Power rating per game

played decreased from 9.9 pre-injury to 6.5 post-injury. This decline in

player production was statistically significant when compared to the 146

players in the control group.

Knee pain, stiffness, loss of strength, deconditioning and reduced

proprioception (the sense of knowing where your leg is) may be factors

explaining the loss of production in players after an ACL injury, the

authors theorize. Further, ACL reconstruction does not perfectly recreate

the complex anatomy and composition of a person's ACL before injury.

Interestingly, prior to their injury the ACL-injured players performed

better than did controls. "High-performance RBs and WRs are more likely to

be injured because they compete in more plays per game, carry the ball

longer on each play, and attract more defensive attention," the authors

say. "The same qualities of RBs and WRs that contribute to high performance

-- instantaneous decelerations as well as explosive pivoting and cutting

maneuvers -- may increase the risk for ACL injury."

The researchers cite a recent survey of all 31 NFL team physicians who

were asked to quantify "what percentage of players return to play in the

NFL after ACL reconstruction." Ninety percent of team physicians responded

"90 to 100 percent" of players (assuming not borderline talent) return to

the NFL. The current study found the number of players who return to play

after an ACL injury was actually less, at 79 percent.

"Most studies report good to excellent results in the majority of ACL

reconstructions regardless of technique or patient age, but the

professional football player presents unique demands on the reconstructed

knee," Carey concludes. "Our findings may be useful for athletes, coaches,

and team owners in anticipating the future contributions of a player who

has injured an ACL."
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/most-nfl-players-return-to-competition-after-acl-injury-but-at-a-reduced-performance-level-56563987.htmlI thought the bolded part was pretty interesting that they suggest a player with higher talent is more likely to have a acl injury than an average player for a combination of reasons. This kind of relates to the workload ideas and how coaches will talk about managing a players snaps.

Now I do think this is a small sample size and the data is pretty old. But I thought it was interesting to consider in regards to Lattimore or other players recovering from these types of injury. Almost 80% play again but most do not play at the same level again.

This is also before the more recent success players have had recovering from these types of injuries. The sports medicine being developed at the time of this article has improved a great deal since then.

Here is another article I was looking at last season in regards to Adrian Peterson about this that shows younger players have a higher success rate recovering from these injuries than older players. But Peterson just broke this trend. Of course it is not entirely certain AD is playing at the correct gravity.

Have you always wondered how likely it is for a running back to return to Top 10 Running Back Form after an ACL tear? The data linked to this article will finally answer all of those ACL-related questions!

View Data & Research

ACL tears are a serious matter for fantasy football running back success. While the data below shows that it is completely possible for runners to rebound after ACL tears, there are several factors that the savvy owner should be aware of. Comparing all seasons of RBs pre-ACL injury and a group of RBs who have never had ACL tears, you find that the fantasy success rate of these RBs is almost identical among the 88 total seasons studied. The rate of top-10 finishes among both groups is about 55%, while the top-20 finish rate among both groups is about 75-80%. This suggests we are studying and comparing relatively equal RB skill levels. The data shows that seasons during or post ACL injury, fantasy success rates go down dramatically. With a comparable set of 69 total “post-injury” seasons, the rate of top-10 fantasy finishes drops to only 28% while the rate of top-20 finishes drops to 49%. The effect of ACL injuries for RBs should not be ignored.

Age Matters

Another matter of importance is the age in which the injury occurred. Among the group studied, Edgerrin James was the only RB who experienced consistent post ACL tear success after an ACL injury sustained in the NFL. At time of his injury, Edge was only 23 years old.

Even more interesting, however, is that:

There was only ONE top-10 fantasy finish among RBs who tore an ACL after the age of 23, and that one top-10 finish was Adrian Peterson’s 2011 season, as he had enough yardage to stick to the top-10 during his injury season.

Out of the 16 other post-ACL seasons by RBs who tore their ACL after the age of 23, there were ZERO top-10 fantasy finishes.

Only two of those 16 seasons resulted in 1,000 total rushing yards (Deuce McAllister and Jamal Anderson), although, neither season was good enough for top-10 fantasy performance.

Conclusion

While the group studied obviously is not large enough to make a definitive statement, based on the findings, there is good news and bad news to take from this report. Many fantasy owners worry about collegiate injury history when drafting rookies…

College ACL Tears Can Absolutely Be Overcome

ACL tears suffered in college do not appear to have a debilitating effect on NFL success, and owners should not ignore players like Frank Gore or Willis McGahee in their rookie drafts, although, they should understand inconsistent play will result in a possible “boom or bust” dynasty player from season to season.

Did You Know?

Holy Garrison Hearst !

Note: Garrison Hearst tore his ACL way before the NFL, back in 1991, and never knew it; due to league-driven pressures, Hearst had surgery to repair the ACL prior to entering the NFL. Read more on this and why Hearst didn’t even need an ACL!

ACL Tears After 23: Approach With Extreme Caution!

On the flip side, ACL tears suffered after the age of 23 should be approached with extreme caution, regardless of prior success. As the body ages, its ability to heal itself and recover from serious injury to play at the elite athletic levels required in the NFL drops dramatically. The fact that these RBs who sustain injury late in their careers have trouble putting together elite fantasy seasons should temper fantasy owners’ expectations. There are still good buy-low opportunities for fantasy owners who can tolerate high levels of risk/reward, however these RBs should not be drafted as cornerstone players for a franchise, especially during dynasty start-ups.

More Runners To Study Moving Forward

In 2012, we will get to see these theories put to test. Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles sustained injuries after the age of 23 and will have to prove their return to elite performance before owners should justify giving 2nd and 3rd round dynasty start-up value. During dynasty start-ups, savvy owners should consider overall value before diving into RBs coming off injuries; fully understand the risk involved with all injuries before drafting!
http://draftcalc.com/fantasy-football-content/articles/dont-tear-your-acl-after-23-years-of-age/Each case is different of course but Lattimore is only 22 years old.

When looking strictly at RB's the sample is small. And that article done in 2002 was back in the day when players took over a year to come back. That's not the case anymore. Modern medicine, and whatever ADP used chemically to recover, have reduced rehab times significantly. ADP, Wes Welker and Jamaal Charles all had good seasons in under a year of rehab.

When looking strictly at RB's the sample is small. And that article done in 2002 was back in the day when players took over a year to come back. That's not the case anymore. Modern medicine, and whatever ADP used chemically to recover, have reduced rehab times significantly. ADP, Wes Welker and Jamaal Charles all had good seasons in under a year of rehab.
True on all accounts and as far as ADP goes, the NFL really ought to include Adamantium on the banned substance list. :nerd:

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPaulineCan confirm; Marcus Lattimore/RB/SC will do 15-20 min workout of rehab drills (ladder drills/etc) to show strength & ability to move on knee

Robert Klemko ‏@RobertKlemko 8mMarcus Lattimore worked out for reps from 32 teams today at SC. Room burst into applause when he was done.
https://twitter.com/RobertKlemko/status/316980267761950721/photo/1 :thumbup: Rooting my ### off for this kid!
He's not being drug tested at this time is he?
ADP. Jamaal Charles. RGIII. Those guys are tested. There's something out there that the bad chemists came up with that the good chemists haven't got a test for yet.

Honestly, there is no way in hell I'm not on HGH right now, if I'm Lattimore. I'm not risking my career more than I have to because sports culture thinks HGH is “too good to be true”, thus, must be wrong.

Robert Klemko ‏@RobertKlemko 8mMarcus Lattimore worked out for reps from 32 teams today at SC. Room burst into applause when he was done.
https://twitter.com/RobertKlemko/status/316980267761950721/photo/1 :thumbup: Rooting my ### off for this kid!
ADP. Jamaal Charles. RGIII. Those guys are tested. There's something out there that the bad chemists came up with that the good chemists haven't got a test for yet.
The NFL still isn't testing for HGH so there's no question in my mind they are at least using that. They'd be stupid not to.

The NFL still isn't testing for HGH so there's no question in my mind they are at least using that. They'd be stupid not to.
If I was those guys I'd be taking HGH coated in Deer Antler Spray sleeping in one of those oxygen chambers. Whatever it takes to get healthy.

:popcorn: big fan, wish him nothing but the best! he was a stand up kid through college and i have nothing but love for him. i hope he comes through this better than ever.

the HGH talk is interesting, and i have to agree... i'd do whatever i could to get back too.

South Carolina's Marcus Lattimore applauded by scouts at pro day

Marcus Lattimore ran football drills indoors Wednesday at the University of South Carolina for representatives of all 32 NFL teams, his agent, Michael Perrett, told USA TODAY Sports. And when he was done showing off the progress in his surgically repaired knee, the room burst into applause.

So says Lattimore, the former Gamecocks running back who tore the anterior cruciate, lateral collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments in his right knee Oct. 27 in a game vs. Tennessee.

"It was crazy," he told USA TODAY Sports when reacting to the ovation. "I did not expect that at all. Pretty much every scout came up to me and said that was amazing and inspiring."

Lattimore, who has been training and rehabilitating in Gulf Breeze, Fla., with orthopedic surgeon James Andrews, says he has visits scheduled with the New England Patriots and St. Louis Rams prior to next month's draft.

He plans on being ready to play by midseason, if not Week 1.

Really hoping this kid falls to me at the 8 pick in my rookie draft...but with this kinda hype I doubt he does.

Really hoping this kid falls to me at the 8 pick in my rookie draft...but with this kinda hype I doubt he does.
I was thinking the same thing with the 1.08.
Well, either him or the top TE (based on situation). Now I'm thinking I'll need to move up to somewhere in the 4-6 range!Seriously, how many RBs will do a workout where all 32 teams attend?! I've never heard of that!

Well, either him or the top TE (based on situation). Now I'm thinking I'll need to move up to somewhere in the 4-6 range!Seriously, how many RBs will do a workout where all 32 teams attend?! I've never heard of that!
all 32 scouts are at almost every single pro-day, especially a big time program like South Carolina

I figured I was out of the running at 2.01, but no way I would buy him at 1.04. I have good RB depth so now I'm wondering if I should go at 1.04 and stash him.

The NFL draft will dictate his dynasty/fantasy value. If ge goes in the 3rd round, he could be a top 6-8 pick. If he goes in the 7th round, he'll go much, much later than that.

Users who are viewing this thread