What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

M Lattimore, RB, SC (3 Viewers)

I watched Theisman live. I watched Lattimore go down last year and I saw it yesterday live. Made me cringe at the sight of the leg flopping over in the wrong direction.

Reading the different blogs, some reports are saying Broken Femur, Broken Patella, all ligaments torn (ACL/MCL/LCL/PCL). It was a complete separation of the joint at the knee. The report has not been verified, and the school has not commented on it yet other than saying "severe".....

Some videos/stills show the bone out of alignment (but not breaking the skin). You can see it's bad from the videos.

Many are believing career ending. Some are hoping possible return after extensive surgery and rehab.

However, there was 1 Gamecock blog that was posted last night on The Wall ...and he said if that report was accurate, they would have to be discussing amputation. Horrible idea. I do not know if he has any medical experience or not.

The leg flop or it dangling thru the air was reminiscent of ed mccaffery
Wendell Davis had two legs flopping in the air after jumping for a ball in Veterans Stadium on 10/10/93. He never played again after destroying both knees on the play .I still list that as the most disgusting football injury I have seen. Lattimore, McCallum, Theismann, McGahee and Krumrie ones are next in some order.
Agree totally on this one. This injury has been mostly forgotten about but it was brutal. Old Vet Stadium turf monster got him on that one. That field was the worst.

Well if best case scenario is McGahee's career, I bet he'll take it. I wouldn't expect anything major out of him his first couple of NFL seasons, but they do rebuild knees and with time and conditioning he can get back to 100% eventually. Sucks real bad though. I haven't watched it and I don't plan to.A lot of "injury prone" guys end up coming around and being a horse. Frank Gore, McGahee, the injury prone O.G. Fred Taylor.. ADP may do the same..
The knee never will be 100 % again, they never are. The person can make the muscles around it stronger than they ever were and compensate in other ways to make them look 100 %, but it is never 100 % again.
Sounds like you knew what I meant

Some news updating Marcus Lattimore's injury....

The ensuing hyperextension of the knee resulted in injury to several ligaments. There were no fractures or additional injuries, according to team physician Dr. Jeffrey Guy. Lattimore's surgically repaired left knee was uninjured during the play.

This was from the Bleacher Report

Some discussion that he could get a Medical Red Shirt for 2013 Season and return in 2014

Lattimore

The ensuing hyperextension of the knee resulted in injury to several ligaments. There were no fractures or additional injuries, according to team physician Dr. Jeffrey Guy. Lattimore's surgically repaired left knee was uninjured during the play.

Some discussion that he could get a Medical Red Shirt for 2013 Season and return in 2014

Lattimore
Marcus would be a gosh darned fool to return to college.*Edited for language.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he is ok and can come back next year, he has a lot of talent, and can still carve out a nice niche in the NFL. This is for you Mr. Lattimore :thumbup: keep you chin up and working hard.

I hope he is ok and can come back next year, he has a lot of talent, and can still carve out a nice niche in the NFL. This is for you Mr. Lattimore :thumbup: keep you chin up and working hard.
Hoping for him to come back also...but no chance it's next year. He tore EVERY ligament and significantly dislocated his lower leg. He'll be lucky to be walking by May...he won't be football ready by September

Hoping for him to come back also...but no chance it's next year. He tore EVERY ligament and significantly dislocated his lower leg. He'll be lucky to be walking by May...he won't be football ready by September
Agreed. For his sake, I hope he doesn't even try. Hard to make this transition, but it's probably time to move on to the next phase/career in his life. Sounds like a really good kid with a lot going for him. Football just doesn't seem like a good idea to a knee with nary one healthy ligament.

Football just doesn't seem like a good idea to a knee with nary one healthy ligament.
Ummmmm....to tell you the truth...I would gladly let someone cut my leg off at the knee for several million dollars. I get guys worried about concussions quitting, but not leg injuries. If it's feasible to come back, he absolutely should try.

I agree there's no chance he'll be back next year but when the 2014 season starts he will have had 22 months to recover (and 18 months for mini camp). He should enter the draft and someone can spend a mid round pick on him to let him recover until then.

'cstu said:
'Birdie048 said:

Lattimore
As a SC season ticket holder, I hope he never plays another game in the Garnet and Black. He needs to get paid.

'cstu said:
'Birdie048 said:

Lattimore
As a SC season ticket holder, I hope he never plays another game in the Garnet and Black. He needs to get paid.
I think Marcus is going to have to finish his education and get a job to get paid. Back to back knees injuries on both knees with the last one having the whole knee destroyed could mean the end for football. I am just hoping he can walk normal and be able to enjoy life again.

'cstu said:
'Birdie048 said:

Lattimore
I think Marcus is going to have to finish his education and get a job to get paid. Back to back knees injuries on both knees with the last one having the whole knee destroyed could mean the end for football. I am just hoping he can walk normal and be able to enjoy life again.
You may be right. Either way, it would be foolish to return to action with SC IMO.

'cobalt_27 said:
Agreed. For his sake, I hope he doesn't even try. Hard to make this transition, but it's probably time to move on to the next phase/career in his life. Sounds like a really good kid with a lot going for him. Football just doesn't seem like a good idea to a knee with nary one healthy ligament.
I read a lot about him when he was considering PSU (one of his final schools), and I agree 100% here. Despite not choosing PSU, I was rooting for the guy. Seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders, and was headed down the right path. It's a shame to see something like this happen. Wish him the best of luck in his recovery, whatever is or isn't next in his football future, and life in general. It's just a shame to see this happen, but I guess it's the nature of the sport.

Lattimore
As gruesome as the injury was, knee injuries aren't as career-threatening as they once were. If there's a guarantee he'll get taken in the draft he should take it. That's a minimum $500k just to spend his rookie year rehabbing vs. rushing his rehab to play next year for free in college and possibly re-injuring a knee. If I was a GM I'd certainly spend a late pick and let him sit on the bench next year in hopes that he's 100% by the start of the 2014 season. I think it's win-win for Lattimore as well as the team that drafts him.

Lattimore
Source: Marcus Lattimore to go proUpdated: December 10, 2012, 11:25 AM ETBy Joe Schad | ESPN

South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore will enter the NFL draft, according to a source close to the player. An official announcement is expected this week, possibly Wednesday.

Lattimore sustained an extensive injury to the anterior cruciate ligament and lateral collateral ligament in his right knee and has been vigorously rehabilitating. Lattimore believes that focusing entirely on rehabilitation with NFL team doctors will help him recover quickest, according to the source.

Lattimore understands he may have to sit out this season, but has a goal of jogging and catching passes at the end of March for NFL executives and plans to visit with them at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.

Since the injury, Lattimore has spoken with other running backs who came back from knee injuries such as Willis McGahee, Frank Gore and Eddie George. Lattimore believes the time is right to enter the NFL draft, in part to have as long a professional career as possible.

Lattimores recovery is on schedule, according to the source, and he is not utilizing crutches. Lattimore also has the blessing of South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier.

In three seasons at South Carolina, Lattimore, 6-feet, 218 pounds, has been of the most dynamic running backs in college football. Lattimore has rushed for 2,677 yards with 38 touchdowns, including 662 yards and 11 touchdowns this season.

On Oct. 27, against Tennessee, Lattimore took a helmet to his right knee and was taken by ambulance to a hospital in Columbia, S.C. Since then, Lattimore has received an outpouring of support.
:thumbup:

Will be curious to see how high he will go in rookie drafts. Its not like its a strong class.
Me too. But I am starting to like this rookie class, however, outside of the very top.Really pulling for this kid.

Will be curious to see how high he will go in rookie drafts. Its not like its a strong class.
Me too. But I am starting to like this rookie class, however, outside of the very top.Really pulling for this kid.
The guy I like the most is probably the one that the Falcons draft. Cement shoes Turner is done.
I love Eddie Lacy. I think a good combine and he could very well go in the first round.

Yeah, it will be interesting.I honestly wasn't a huge Lattimore fan even before his injuries, as I had questions about his build and ability to hold up, but he's got some talent and will tempt owners looking to swing for the fences. I really don't see him going much higher than the 4th round of the NFL draft, but I guess you never know.

Yeah, it will be interesting.I honestly wasn't a huge Lattimore fan even before his injuries, as I had questions about his build and ability to hold up, but he's got some talent and will tempt owners looking to swing for the fences. I really don't see him going much higher than the 4th round of the NFL draft, but I guess you never know.
Can you think of a RB in recent memory in Lattimore's situation? I am having a hard time drawing parallels. I wouldn't be shocked by a 3rd round pick, and I wouldn't be shocked if he went undrafted.

Can you think of a RB in recent memory in Lattimore's situation? I am having a hard time drawing parallels. I wouldn't be shocked by a 3rd round pick, and I wouldn't be shocked if he went undrafted.
The most obvious parallel is McGahee. He was more talented though and his injury wasn't quite as gruesome. McGahee likely would've been a top 5 pick without that injury. Lattimore was never on that level. He was a mid-late 1st at best. With two severe injuries on his record, I just don't see anyone jumping before the late 3rd-early 4th. That's about where Frank Gore went with two ACL tears. It's also approximately where Clarett went with all of his baggage. So I'll say somewhere in the 3rd-5th round. Personally, I have little faith in his ability to stay healthy, even if he manages to return to 100%. I'd probably still take a chance on for the right price though.

Michael Bush broke his tibia as a senior causing him to slip from a first round pick to the fourth. Fairly similar to Lattimore in that he was a comparable prospect and the injury caused him to miss his rookie year.

This RB class is really growing on me, so this makes it even more interesting. If Dyer comes out, it becomes that much better.

There are some guys I really like who I think can carve out fantasy-relevant roles. But the biggest plus is that there are actually a TON of great situations in the NFL for a rookie RB to jump into right now. Like more than ten. Talent over situation is always important on some level, but there are going to be some talented, underrated guys going to good situations.

Michael Bush broke his tibia as a senior causing him to slip from a first round pick to the fourth. Fairly similar to Lattimore in that he was a comparable prospect and the injury caused him to miss his rookie year.
Good comparison...unfortunately for Bush, it was enough to likely have him never get a chance to start. Much of that has to do with situation/timing, but that one year that he had to miss was enough to put McFadden on Al's radar. Problem is, when a team drafts a RB in 4th, they better have a decent (maybe aging starter), so that the year Lattimore is not a rushing disaster or else that team will need to bring in additional help the following year (basically what happened to Bush).

Michael Bush is the best comparison in this case. Bush was going to be an extremely high fantasy pick and high pick in the draft as well until the injury. I see this playing out similarly, with a lot depending on where he actually goes in the draft. If some team with a luxury to not play him takes him and he heals along a normal timeline, then I think he is a guy fantasy owners will have to be really patient with and I doubt he is worth taking really high in a dynasty draft.

However, if he gets drafted by a team that is more needy and he heals like Adrian peterson or something, then its a different story.

Knowing how these things go and the value of RBs in the NFL, it would seem about right if he ends up being a late 3rd (for a team really belieiving in him if healthy) to a 5th. Likely, some team that can afford to stash him for a while will take him so, as the fantasy gods often do, he likely ends up a Patriot, Raven, Bear, Panther, etc.

Every year people complain about how weak the draft class is. Even last year; look at what has become of it- guys like Alfred Morris, Hilton, Ballard, Richardson, and many more came out of the end of the draft with significant value not even a year into this thing

Every year people complain about how weak the draft class is. Even last year; look at what has become of it- guys like Alfred Morris, Hilton, Ballard, Richardson, and many more came out of the end of the draft with significant value not even a year into this thing
I don't think anyone was complaining about a weak draft class last year.While I'm usually right on board with the hindsight thing, in last year's case people were looking forward to that class all offseason.

I think this is assumed. When people say it is a bad draft - at least speaking for myself - we mean on paper. The prospects are not on par with past years.

I think this is assumed. When people say it is a bad draft - at least speaking for myself - we mean on paper. The prospects are not on par with past years.
Usually when I hear 'bad draft' it's because of the lack of stud prospects at the top, like this one.

I don't think anyone was complaining about a weak draft class last year.While I'm usually right on board with the hindsight thing, in last year's case people were looking forward to that class all offseason.
Richardson, Blackmon, Luck and RG3 were guys everyone wanted last year going into the off season. If you take those guys out of last year's draft I think the 2012 and 2013 drafts will be fairly comparable.

Good point - it's the elite prospect that this class lacks, but the depth is pretty intriguing.

If Dyer declares, it'll be interesting to see whether his off-field issues cause him to fall farther than Lattimore's injury issues.

Also, on Lattimore, the guy is an absolute worker bee, and some team will be more willing to draft him based on the guy's leadership in the locker room and weight room. They'll see how hard he works, how he keeps his head down and does his job, and someone will bring him in. I'm betting 3-4th round.

And with Michael Bush - he could have chosen a situation this offseason with a shot at being a starter. If I remember correctly, he signed with Chicago fairly early in the FA period. He knew he wasn't taking Forte's job... that's a choice he made.

ADP blew three ligaments and he's doing alright this year. This kid will heal faster than ADP due to his age. He'll play in 2013 in the NFL

ADP blew three ligaments and he's doing alright this year. This kid will heal faster than ADP due to his age. He'll play in 2013 in the NFL
No, he won't. His injury was worse than AP's, and doctors are amazed by AP's recovery because he's a genetic freak.

Yea, and Lattimore isn't nearly as good as Peterson in the first place.
Being as good and healing well are two different things. What do you want to bet that ADP's personal trainer is already talking to Lattimore? If Lattimore's people haven't called ADP's trainer, they are high...

No, he won't. His injury was worse than AP's, and doctors are amazed by AP's recovery because he's a genetic freak.
I'm doubting that the healing time for all four ligaments is any longer than only three since they are in the same place and require the exact same treatment.

I'm doubting that the healing time for all four ligaments is any longer than only three since they are in the same place and require the exact same treatment.
Thanks, Doc.

Thanks, Doc.
You got something to counter that argument other than snark? I could be wrong on this one, but logically it makes sense that it's all in the same knee, the healing time should be about the same.I made the claim that the kid will play in the NFL in 2013 based on how quickly I saw ADP returning to the field. I'm not calling that he will run for 2K or even 1K, but he got injured much earlier in the season so to speak than ADP did. He very well have a great second half of the season if not sooner...

Anytime a PCL is involved, it makes the injury much more significant. The rehab takes much longer and one can question if he'll ever get back to what he was. With that said, he is a young elite athlete who will have every opportunity to succeed. Personally, I just can't see him making a significant contribution to whatever team takes a chance on him based on my experience in dealing with such injuries. But I will also admit that I didn't think Peterson had a chance at having this insane of a season, so it just goes to pove that every patient is different and rehabs on a different time frame.

Michael Bush is the best comparison in this case. Bush was going to be an extremely high fantasy pick and high pick in the draft as well until the injury. I see this playing out similarly, with a lot depending on where he actually goes in the draft. If some team with a luxury to not play him takes him and he heals along a normal timeline, then I think he is a guy fantasy owners will have to be really patient with and I doubt he is worth taking really high in a dynasty draft.However, if he gets drafted by a team that is more needy and he heals like Adrian peterson or something, then its a different story.Knowing how these things go and the value of RBs in the NFL, it would seem about right if he ends up being a late 3rd (for a team really belieiving in him if healthy) to a 5th. Likely, some team that can afford to stash him for a while will take him so, as the fantasy gods often do, he likely ends up a Patriot, Raven, Bear, Panther, etc.
I think you're right I can see his career playing out a lot like Bush's. Best case scenario for Marcus is to go to a team that can afford to let him sit out the 2013 season. I am confident that he can rebound from this injury, just like he did from the first one. He is such a hard-working and humble player and I'm sure he will be an asset to whatever locker room he ends up in. However, I doubt he will ever be trusted to carry the load full time in the NFL with his bruising running style and injury history. His biggest FF impact is probably going to be taking away TDs at the goal line for the next couple of years. Pairing him in the backfield with a guy like Spiller would be perfect.

Anytime a PCL is involved, it makes the injury much more significant. The rehab takes much longer and one can question if he'll ever get back to what he was. With that said, he is a young elite athlete who will have every opportunity to succeed. Personally, I just can't see him making a significant contribution to whatever team takes a chance on him based on my experience in dealing with such injuries. But I will also admit that I didn't think Peterson had a chance at having this insane of a season, so it just goes to pove that every patient is different and rehabs on a different time frame.
Is there anything that supports this? It seems that all we heard last year was that Peterson's injury was extra severe because he didn't just tear an ACL, he tore 3 ligaments including his MCL, which was the really bad one that makes things much worse. Now, after he bounced back in ridiculous fashion, suddenly the PCL is the ligament that matters and is going to hold a guy out longer?It seems like any time someone bounces back from one of these injuries everyone just finds a new ligament that they claim is "the one that really makes things bad". With modern medical technology healing these ligaments back to near 100%, is there really anything that says that tearing three of them is significantly worse than two, or that four is significantly worse than three? It's not like they have to heal consecutively one after the other. They all get the same rest and rehab after the surgery.I understand that having another ligament to rehab and have something potentially go wrong with adds some additional risk. I'm just not convinced that it's the significant difference that some are making it out to be, and history doesn't seem to say otherwise. In fact, of the players with major knee injuries last year their return to old form (Peterson, Charles, Mendenhall) seems to be the inverse of their injury mildness (Mendenhall, Charles, Peterson).

McGahee and Michael Bush are fairly similiar situations.

Users who are viewing this thread