What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Larry Donnell - NY Giants Tight End (2 Viewers)

I think his targets come down considerably with the return of Beckham.

The Giants offense is starting to click, and Eli isn't going to the checkdown option nearly as much.
I think the biggest aspect to his potential value/production is red zone/end zone looks, not just as a check-down. That's what I'm primarily interested in.

ATL covered him pretty hard, but that was not a winning strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The goose egg hurts, but I can't see most other teams double or triple teaming him, while letting those WRs roam free.

He should have had a TD but the Eagles refs decided to call a phantom holding call to take it away.

Not sure how much Cruz being done (which wouldn't have happened if the refs didn't make that call) helps Donnell though going forward.

He should have had a TD but the Eagles refs decided to call a phantom holding call to take it away.

Not sure how much Cruz being done (which wouldn't have happened if the refs didn't make that call) helps Donnell though going forward.
More targets?

More targets?
Yeah, possibly. Cruz isn't really a big red zone threat though anyways. That's where Donnell excels. A Randle injury would help him more I think.

Cost me my matchup. That catch stands I win, called back, I lose.

:ptts:

What's changed, here? Not as if Fells is lighting anything on fire, or Donnell has been ineffective or taken out of the game through double coverage. Tonight the game plan called for more blocking from the TEs early as PHI D was through the swiss cheese Giants O-line and all over Eli.

But in a game where the Giants desperately needed to pass to catch up, and where Cruz was out for a good portion, would expect the Giants to try and get the ball in Donnell's hands given how successful that's been in the past.

Going forward with Cruz out, would think that Donnell (and all Giants receivers) would have more opportunity. But thinking with Cruz out, it also may give D's more ability to bottle Donnell up -- not like Randle and Beckham demand double coverage or special focus like Cruz may have.

I wish I hadn't picked up Donnell. To put it short, I'd be 4-2 without him and instead I'm 2-4 with him, and that's with starting him for the 3 TD week.

Pathetic production.

Fun while it lasted.
So who is cutting him in redraft? I am thinking about it.
I'm putting in a conditional waiver add/drop to see about snagging Jace Amaro. If I get outbid, I'll stick with him on my bench. He was only a flex TE for me anyway with Gronk as my every week starter.

Funny how fast this dude went from waiver wire pickup of the year to the outhouse in two weeks.
So true, man. Fantasy players are mentally deranged people. Split personality, schitzo types. So he had one quiet game, and then another where he had a td called back by penalty...in a game where the entire giants passing offense was terrible. Games 1-4 he was awesome.

I don't own him I any leagues but his kind of overreaction is what separates the men from the boys in fantasy football IMO.

People will drop him and he will get scooped up by the jimmy graham owners who will reap the benefits until he comes back. And the guys who dropped him will be starting jace amaro after his td this week and will enjoy their goose eggs lol

Fun while it lasted.
So who is cutting him in redraft? I am thinking about it.
I'm putting in a conditional waiver add/drop to see about snagging Jace Amaro. If I get outbid, I'll stick with him on my bench. He was only a flex TE for me anyway with Gronk as my every week starter.

Funny how fast this dude went from waiver wire pickup of the year to the outhouse in two weeks.
So true, man. Fantasy players are mentally deranged people. Split personality, schitzo types. So he had one quiet game, and then another where he had a td called back by penalty...in a game where the entire giants passing offense was terrible. Games 1-4 he was awesome.

I don't own him I any leagues but his kind of overreaction is what separates the men from the boys in fantasy football IMO.

People will drop him and he will get scooped up by the jimmy graham owners who will reap the benefits until he comes back. And the guys who dropped him will be starting jace amaro after his td this week and will enjoy their goose eggs lol
games 1-4 they didnt have Odell Beckham, now they wont have Cruz, opportunity still there, but his usage last night was puzzling, seems he was a goalline only option.

It's funny. I picked this guy up, overbidding in my main Dynasty. Thought surely I overpaid. Three weeks later, I began to think I really had something.

Then, last two weeks, I've gotten nothing. I don't think the problem is Larry. He's looked good when he's gotten targets.

The problem is Eli, the OC, or Coughlin, or all three. I have never....NEVER seen an offense so polarized as the Giants of the last couple seasons, producing ephemeral excellence and brutal, laughable incompetence in equal measure.

Here's my theory:

Eli: over-emotional and over-sensitive, forever the kid brother

Coughlin: cantankerous and crotchety, prone to fits of rage and over-reaction, the crazy old man in the neighbourhood, banging and pointing out his window: "I see you kids ! I see you !!" BANG BANG BANG

OC: I don't know the guy, but how would you like to work with the two guys above?

Combine all these emotions in one huddle, and what you have is a general state of panic when the scheme/game plan matches poorly against a given DC/scheme

When the scheme works well, the old man is appeased, the kid brother gets his validation, and the OC need not fear for his job. With group dynamics like this, losing is a tempest of stupidity and self-destruction, winning merely a relief.

As for Larry, well, he's caught up in this nonsense. When there's panic, he'll get nothing, as Eli reaches to overcompensate and please Grandpa. When there's relief, Larry will be a big part of it.

Therefore, I predict a great mish-mash of crests and troughs for weeks to come. Start him at your peril.

He is still the #8 TE in the league. Eli had a crap week, the Giants got shutout and had another key injury to a WR. Eli is going to throw the ball to someone and Donnell is the 2nd best option who is healthy and best option in the red zone. Only in a shallow league are you going to find a comparable option available on the waiver wire.

Are there any other Jordan Cameron owners in here that grabbed Donnell after week 1 when Cameron went down? He has filled in perfectly, but with Cameron back to full form what are you doing?

I think there is too much value to flat out drop Donnell. He is either a wait and see or trade. Kind of a sell low, but there is huge risk if you hold him through the potential Giant meltdown.

Donnel only collected 2 targets even though he was on the field for 52 out of 60 snaps. That O-line loooked like the worst unit in football. Unless they improve, TE's will continue to be used as blockers. We may watch the G-mice use 2 WR sets on passing downs with 2 TE's and a back to block. Opposing Defenses can stack 8 in the box every play, with man coverage and safety help. The only targets that the TE's will get is if Eli starts throwing into the pass rush with some bump & go plays. It could spell success in PPR, but I see many of those receptions going to the back on the edge.

I am a Cowboys fan, and so far from my perspective it's always the tale of two Giants. Even in their Superbowl seasons they were up and down throughout. As I am writing this I am trying to convince myself what to do with Donnell. I think I may try and trade him to every owner in the league. If I can't get anything I may have to drop him, but at least this week there isn't much a a WW gem that is worth cutting ties for.

Are there any other Jordan Cameron owners in here that grabbed Donnell after week 1 when Cameron went down? He has filled in perfectly, but with Cameron back to full form what are you doing?

I think there is too much value to flat out drop Donnell. He is either a wait and see or trade. Kind of a sell low, but there is huge risk if you hold him through the potential Giant meltdown.

Donnel only collected 2 targets even though he was on the field for 52 out of 60 snaps. That O-line loooked like the worst unit in football. Unless they improve, TE's will continue to be used as blockers. We may watch the G-mice use 2 WR sets on passing downs with 2 TE's and a back to block. Opposing Defenses can stack 8 in the box every play, with man coverage and safety help. The only targets that the TE's will get is if Eli starts throwing into the pass rush with some bump & go plays. It could spell success in PPR, but I see many of those receptions going to the back on the edge.

I am a Cowboys fan, and so far from my perspective it's always the tale of two Giants. Even in their Superbowl seasons they were up and down throughout. As I am writing this I am trying to convince myself what to do with Donnell. I think I may try and trade him to every owner in the league. If I can't get anything I may have to drop him, but at least this week there isn't much a a WW gem that is worth cutting ties for.
In two Yahoo Pro leagues I drafted Cameron and picked up Donnell to fill in for the injury.

I'm benching Donnell and starting Cameron, and that's probably it.

In two Yahoo Pro leagues I drafted Cameron and picked up Donnell to fill in for the injury.

That didn't work out so well for me this week. Now it becomes a question of who to start going forward.

Nice stat line. Horrible fumbles (multiple). I worry about what Coughlin will do.
To be fair both of the fumbles were strips. I don't know if you want him fighting for the extra yards on third down or protecting the ball more. His routes and catches looked better than any other Giants receiver today.

Not me. I was smart enough to trade him for Victor Cruz last week. :topcat:
I was drooling for this guy three weeks ago, sent many offers to the owner and have been laughed at. Now I wouldnt touch him if he is on waivers. I know the owner wants to cut him but he wont out of pride because he does not want to be reminded by me he cut a guy he could of moved for great parts. So he is stuck with him anyways so win win.

2 fumbles will make Coughlin reconsider when Fells is doing well.

Im still starting him.

ETA: I traded away Gates last week.

That didn't work out so well for me this week. Now it becomes a question of who to start going forward.
Same situation. Musical chairs here. I'm going to cut bait on one just to relieve the stress. They either blow up or #### a brick.

Same situation. Musical chairs here. I'm going to cut bait on one just to relieve the stress. They either blow up or #### a brick.
I held Donnell, luckily. Looks like he will be starting next week for me.

Has there been any chatter locally about Donnell possibly losing some work or on a reduced snap count due to the fumbles? Or is he still in line for basically the same workload this week? Trying to figure out if I want to put him in over Ertz this week who has disappointed me this year (amount of targets received rather than anything he has or hasn't done).

Has there been any chatter locally about Donnell possibly losing some work or on a reduced snap count due to the fumbles? Or is he still in line for basically the same workload this week? Trying to figure out if I want to put him in over Ertz this week who has disappointed me this year (amount of targets received rather than anything he has or hasn't done).
Not that I've heard. I know it's Coughlin but this isn't a rookie running back, and they desperately need Donnell for 3rd down conversions, short passes if Eli is under duress, and a RZ option.

I held Donnell, luckily. Looks like he will be starting next week for me.
Same situation here. Given Cameron's concussion issues, and general performance when he was in, I've cut bait on him completely to stock up depth and lottery tickets in other positions (Denard Robinson, Sims, etc.)

and just rolling out Donnell.

Donnell will have up and down games where focus is on other areas, but he's a proven red zone threat and has more use to the team in the passing game without Cruz.

Not that I've heard. I know it's Coughlin but this isn't a rookie running back, and they desperately need Donnell for 3rd down conversions, short passes if Eli is under duress, and a RZ option.
Appreciate the input. I still like Donnell as a RZ option since Philly don't seem to use Ertz down near the goalline often. Still good to hear that his role appears undiminished. Guess we'll find out for sure Monday night.

Rotoworld:

Larry Donnell caught four passes for 26 yards in Sunday's Week 10 loss at Seattle.

Donnell was targeted six times on the day, typically on secondary reads from Eli Manning. It's a bit disappointing as tight end is one position that has been giving the Legion of Boom problems in the pass game all year. Donnell won't be usable in Week 10 if Patrick Willis (toe) plays. But if Willis sits, we'd roll LD out as a tight end still playing almost all the snaps and seeing volume (21 targets last three weeks).

Nov 9 - 8:23 PM

Seemed to me that Donnell was out of the game a lot against Dallas and that Fells was out there quite a bit. Do any homers know if that was maybe matchup-specific with Dallas, or is that part of a bigger trend where Donnell's snaps are falling? I know he blew several blocks in the run game, and I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it. He seems to be trending in the wrong direction, and the emergence of Beckham doesn't seem to be helping either.

Seemed to me that Donnell was out of the game a lot against Dallas and that Fells was out there quite a bit. Do any homers know if that was maybe matchup-specific with Dallas, or is that part of a bigger trend where Donnell's snaps are falling? I know he blew several blocks in the run game, and I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it. He seems to be trending in the wrong direction, and the emergence of Beckham doesn't seem to be helping either.
I cant be certain, but I think you nailed it. His run blocking at this stage is below average. The Giants were trying to be more balanced, and were not playing from behind and therefore Fells seemed to be in more as he is a better blocker.

Users who are viewing this thread