What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Larry Donnell - NY Giants Tight End (3 Viewers)

Loved all his targets in the endzone last night. Eli was looking for him twice on a 4th TD later in the game too, but couldn't connect.

Loved all his targets in the endzone last night. Eli was looking for him twice on a 4th TD later in the game too, but couldn't connect.
Eli likes big guys in the endzone. Since the Giants won't draft a big WR, the TE will continue to be his main target.

I picked this guy up in four of my six pay leagues after seeing him Week 1. I still only started him in one this week (thanks to him being stuck on my teams behind guys like Gronk, Niles Paul, etc.), but while he won't score three TDs in a game again this year, he'll be starting a lot for me. Like Peyton, Eli loves throwing to the TE, and with this short passing game, the TE is always gonna be a prime target.

Eli likes big guys in the endzone. Since the Giants won't draft a big WR, the TE will continue to be his main target.
Rueben Randle is pretty big for a WR (6'3 210).
He is and he's been playing better. Last year he was a pretty big endzone target and I think he will be this year as well, but for whatever reason they just can't seem to get a consistent chemistry going. Maybe it's not just the height of the TE but the matchup. Bigger guy being covered by a LB is a lot more enticing to throw to than a slightly smaller guy being covered by the teams top corner (I'm assuming that Randle would receive the #1 coverage in the redzone but may be wrong).

pbandy1 said:
Keith Lewis said:
FBG really whiffed on this guy.
absolutely but so did every other expert out there. Daniel Fells was listed as the starter week 1 so can you blame them?
tweet I saw last nights said Donnell was what everyone wanted Adrien Robinson to be. to your point no one seemed to have LD as the guy to own.

pbandy1 said:
Keith Lewis said:
absolutely but so did every other expert out there. Daniel Fells was listed as the starter week 1 so can you blame them?
They sure did.

I also use fantasy pros and they whiffed even harder, I think. I bypassed two or three other guys they had higher for my flex spot to go with my gut and start Donnell.

pbandy1 said:
Keith Lewis said:
However, FBG got it right in their rankings this week, putting Donnell fairly high up. That was the deciding factor for me since I was torn between putting Donnell and Terrance Williams in my lineup. So, yes, maybe FBG was behind on Donnell (along with every other site, as pbandy correctly notes) in preseason, but they have caught up as per usual.

They were actually pretty quick to promote him as a top add after week 1. Obviously no one saw this in preseason.
There was no way to know in advance of the season but FBG and my own eyes prompted me to add him early in the season. Seems to have really good hands.

They were actually pretty quick to promote him as a top add after week 1. Obviously no one saw this in preseason.
There was no way to know in advance of the season but FBG and my own eyes prompted me to add him early in the season. Seems to have really good hands.
I pissed out on Cameron in a 14 teamer. Thanks to FBGs, what would have been a disaster, losing your third rounder in week one of a 14 teamer, has turned into a blessing in disguise. Thanks FBGS! :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

I drafted him because of FBG. I've started him since day one because of this thread.

Brunell4MVP said:
Just pickup any TE playing the Skins. That's like a guaranteed 2 TDs for your guy.
before this past game the Skins have held the TE in check outside of one kind of fluky TD by Mercedes Lewis in week 2.

I picked this guy up in four of my six pay leagues after seeing him Week 1. I still only started him in one this week (thanks to him being stuck on my teams behind guys like Gronk, Niles Paul, etc.), but while he won't score three TDs in a game again this year, he'll be starting a lot for me. Like Peyton, Eli loves throwing to the TE, and with this short passing game, the TE is always gonna be a prime target.
I picked him up in 5/9 and started him in 4 the other being Niles paul who looked good until getting knocked out. sucked having Donnell on the bench in the 1 league but he had Jennings so it kind of evened out.. Also Eli on bench and he started Romo. I need a win to go to 1-3

That's why it pays to watch games and see how the players play to the eye and not always only trust experts... I noticed his 6-6 frame flying over the lions db and ending up with 16 points in ppr week 1 that was enough for me :banned: :banned: Now im just hear to reap the rewards :IBTL: :IBTL:

I picked him up in 5/9 and started him in 4 the other being Niles paul who looked good until getting knocked out. sucked having Donnell on the bench in the 1 league but he had Jennings so it kind of evened out.. Also Eli on bench and he started Romo. I need a win to go to 1-3
One of my least favorite aspects of Fantasy Football is choosing a starting lineup. I've got Donnell in a few leagues, but mostly as my backup. It sucks leaving all those points on the bench.

:ptts:

Last edited by a moderator:
Graham is still in the top tier all by himself, with Julius Thomas a tad below in his own tier, too, but Donnell is definitely in the mix along with Bennett, Walker, Gronk, etc. right now in that 3-8 tier.

He has the highest Reception % of all TEs with 80.6%. He just needs a few more targets.

Where do you guys rank Donnell going forward? #4 TE?
Graham/Julius, Gronk, Donnell/Bennett, Walker/Kelce, and then it gets messy

Graham is still in the top tier all by himself, with Julius Thomas a tad below in his own tier, too, but Donnell is definitely in the mix along with Bennett, Walker, Gronk, etc. right now in that 3-8 tier.
Sounds about right

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my least favorite aspects of Fantasy Football is choosing a starting lineup. I've got Donnell in a few leagues, but mostly as my backup. It sucks leaving all those points on the bench.

:ptts:
Agree with this even though I had bye-week issues which "forced" me to play Donnell week 4. I think about trying a best-ball league often.

Traded Donnell for Garcon in one league where I am weak at WR. I have Walker and Cameron as back ups.

Offered him up and that's the best I got.

Where do you guys rank Donnell going forward? #4 TE?
Graham/Julius, Gronk, Donnell/Bennett, Walker/Kelce, and then it gets messy

Sounds about right
I'm a Donnell owner but I have to remain cautious in my valuation because he hasn't proven he can withstand the rigors of an NFL season physically and I haven't seen much/any run-after-catch ability. But he is a helluva 3rd down-red zone target with tremendous size, body control, and hands. The key question is how good the NYG offense really is. If they don't get in the red zone much, he will likely have some 35 yard, zero TD days in the future.

That said, only Graham, JThomas, and Gronkowski aren't in that category. I would favor DWalker a little over Donnell because he has gone through full seasons before. Ertz and Donnell, it seems to me, figure to score about the same rate based on their skill set and offenses.

Eli does know how to hit his TE's, that's for sure. That is a strong positive if he can stay healthy.

Beckham is gonna hurt him, I can just feel it.

Atlanta is a bad example as it's a defense with many issues.

-QG

How about one of those fancy support groups for those of us who played against him LAST week, but of course, not this week.

<_<

Saw a post on twitter that on Randle's TD Donnell was triple teamed.
If that's the case DCs will unadjust from focusing on him. 0 is troubling though. The fact my opponent started Vernon Davis and we will score the same at TE is not a good thing.

Do you think Donnell will be getting the same kind of attention? He was getting pushed around and double/triple teamed. I imagine teams playing against NYG will want to win games, and not just shut down one player. In this game they showed ATL, and hopefully the rest of the league, that putting too much focus on Donnell leaves Randle and Beckam Jr open. Donnell will probably still get double teamed in the RedZone, but hopefully he can still be counted on for the checkdowns.

This goose egg makes it hard to even consider starting him though.

I think his targets come down considerably with the return of Beckham.

The Giants offense is starting to click, and Eli isn't going to the checkdown option nearly as much.

Users who are viewing this thread