What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LaRod Stephens-Howling (1 Viewer)

Hoss Style

Footballguy
I've had LaRod in past seasons as I'm always looking for young RBs that might come through at some point (Keeper League). I've always liked what he brought to the table and never thought he got a fair shake.

Many times in the past he got on the field and looked better than Hightower - only to be almost out of the game plan next week. The coaches think he's too small to carry the workload I'm assuming... but I really hate assumptions. He can catch out of the backfield, has speed and seems to find the hole decently well.

A lot of people don't like LaRod, and I understand why, but I'm not one of them. I think if he gets more reps he might shine a bit more. Key word being might. Even as a LaRod fan his size does scare me.

I am wondering since the injury to Williams what your thoughts are on LaRod. I'm been following his career off and on since he came into the league but I'm sure many of you have more information as to his potential concerning the Cards backfield.

How do the Cards coaches feel about him? Is he going to get playing time? Are they going to grab someone in FA or trade and send LaRod back to #3?

I get the feeling the coaching staff doesn't like him at RB all that much. Curious as to why.

I'd love to pick him up as a deep backup on my Fantasy team but want to glean a little info out of you guys first.

Picked him up last night in one league and two other people beat me to it in two other leagues.

I picked him up because I agree with your 1st paragraph. he always seemed to me to be a guy that did a pretty good job but just never had a role given to him.

At this point, its hard to imagine, barring a trade, that a player is out there that is going to be a really solid complement to Beanie so, at the very least, I can see LaRod having some value because he can catch.

My knee jerk reaction on the whole thing is that, IF he can handle it, Beanie might be getting ready to the be NFC version on Mendenhall. The coach ahs the background, the back, on paper, has the skillset. If he's healthy, I think people that have picked up Beanie just won the mini-lottery.

I don't think he's worth rostering unless you get points for kickoff returns, and even then, with the new rules it might be tough to find him a spot.

He will never be the true #2 or the featured back. He is only 5-7 and 185 - too small to carry the load. The Cards only have Alfonso Smith behind Beanie and LaRod, so Wiz says they will look to see who is available. They will certainly bring in someone else.

there is going to be plenty of RB's looking for work in a few days. Watching NFLN right now and Jackie Battle seems like one that could be servicable

Last edited by a moderator:
He will never be the true #2 or the featured back. He is only 5-7 and 185 - too small to carry the load.
I see what you're saying, believe me. His size worries me, too. But "conventional wisdom" that rules guys out is one of my pet peeves. How many RBs, WRs, etc in the past have been too small, too slow or too fragile? I know most of the time it's true but there are many NFL players, past and present, who will tell you it's not always true.

If he had an injury past I'd probably roll with what you said. But he doesn't (not that I remember off the top of my head). I've watched him play a fair amount. Using the "eyeball test" he looks good.

I just don't want to rule out a players ability because I "think" he might get injured, especially with no past history of actually being injured.

I'm more with what Shutout says above. He hasn't gotten his chance.

I hope the coaches don't write him off either.

Has anyone heard anything from Cards camp?

I've had LaRod in past seasons as I'm always looking for young RBs that might come through at some point (Keeper League). I've always liked what he brought to the table and never thought he got a fair shake.

Many times in the past he got on the field and looked better than Hightower - only to be almost out of the game plan next week. The coaches think he's too small to carry the workload I'm assuming... but I really hate assumptions. He can catch out of the backfield, has speed and seems to find the hole decently well.

A lot of people don't like LaRod, and I understand why, but I'm not one of them. I think if he gets more reps he might shine a bit more. Key word being might. Even as a LaRod fan his size does scare me.

I am wondering since the injury to Williams what your thoughts are on LaRod. I'm been following his career off and on since he came into the league but I'm sure many of you have more information as to his potential concerning the Cards backfield.

How do the Cards coaches feel about him? Is he going to get playing time? Are they going to grab someone in FA or trade and send LaRod back to #3?

I get the feeling the coaching staff doesn't like him at RB all that much. Curious as to why.

I'd love to pick him up as a deep backup on my Fantasy team but want to glean a little info out of you guys first.
My thoughts = NO! lol

My thoughts = NO! lol
Hey, short and sweet. I like it.My problem is that in a 16 team league with 2 starting RB every starting NFL RB is taken. Most teams roster 4 RBs so that means every backup is taken as well.

Injuries happen and that puts LaRod smack-dab on my radar.

I think he's got the skills to get good playing time. And I'll call him injury prone after he gets injured.

I've been a big fan of him for a while. Unfortunately in one league I threw him in a trade offer a few days ago. In another league I had dropped him for Darren Evans, but immediately reversed that move when the Williams news came.

I've been a big fan of him for a while. Unfortunately in one league I threw him in a trade offer a few days ago. In another league I had dropped him for Darren Evans, but immediately reversed that move when the Williams news came.
I'm glad I posted this. It's nice to know some others have watched him a bit as well - and like what they've seen. I'd like to see him get full back-up playing time. If he gets injured, he gets injured. I just haven't seen any history of him being injury prone. Then again, even in college, he didn't get tons of playing time for all his years.An added tidbit - there is another forum I post on because my brother posts there for his Fantasy league. I put forth the same question about thoughts on LaRod. There is one response so far:"Who the hell is LaRod??"...I love FBG Forums.

LSH definitely in play now in larger leagues and PPR bestball leagues and leagues that count yardage return yards

As of today (and sure that could change as players get cut/recycled) Stephens-Howling rates to be the third down and/or change of pace back. IF Beanie can handle a full workload he will get it but LSH is a better pass blocker and receiver so there should be some playing time there - which might increase depending on how both backs fare (and yes maybe some Alphonzo Smith in there as well although he is raw, second year from Kentucky) And I think for now those are the ONLY three RB on the roster (which means they will be looking to add)

LSH definitely in play now in larger leagues and PPR bestball leagues and leagues that count yardage return yards

As of today (and sure that could change as players get cut/recycled) Stephens-Howling rates to be the third down and/or change of pace back. IF Beanie can handle a full workload he will get it but LSH is a better pass blocker and receiver so there should be some playing time there - which might increase depending on how both backs fare (and yes maybe some Alphonzo Smith in there as well although he is raw, second year from Kentucky) And I think for now those are the ONLY three RB on the roster (which means they will be looking to add)
Good info. Thanks. I think LSH would shine as a full time backup/3rd down back. I put a bid on him for our weekly pick ups. Dropped Brandon Jackson.

Sounds like a British aristocrat.
The Brit from giligans island
BUT before he was Gilligan, Bob Denver was Maynard on "The Dobie Gillis" show....and before that as an unemployed actor who needed a part time gig, Denver was a PE coach at my grammar school
You're joking, right? You got taught kickball and duck, duck, goose by Gilligan??

The insight I've gleaned from this thread has FAR exceeded my expectations!

My thoughts = NO! lol
Hey, short and sweet. I like it.My problem is that in a 16 team league with 2 starting RB every starting NFL RB is taken. Most teams roster 4 RBs so that means every backup is taken as well.

Injuries happen and that puts LaRod smack-dab on my radar.

I think he's got the skills to get good playing time. And I'll call him injury prone after he gets injured.
ahhh ok well in a 16 team league hes a solid handcuff for Beanie because he is good receiving out of the backfield. I just have a feeling they are gonna bring at least one more guy in, just in case Wells does get hurt. PPR id agree with ya but other than 16 team redrafts I would stay away.

Any AZ homers hear any news on the Cards bringing in a true #2 yet? He's holding a spot on my dynsaty but could use the room right now.

No new news here.

Alphonso Smith is interesting. He was an undrafted FA rookie in 2010 with good size (6'1" 208). He ran a 4.38 40 at his pro day, and only Spiller, Karim, and Best had better times. He was on and off the practice squad last year. He pulled his hammy against San Diego, but should be good to go for Thursday. He is listed as questionable, but Wiz has said he wants to give him reps to see what he has.

The only other RB on the roster right now is William Powell who just signed on August 22 of this year. he didn't show much at all against SD. I'd be surprised to see him make the team.

It looks like the Cards are planning to go with three RB's, unless they sign a vet here in the next week or so. I would expect Beanie to get the vast majority of the carries with LSH coming in on some third downs. Smith might get a carry here or there, but if Beanie goes down, he could be the guy to step into the lead role.

They really like LSH on kickoff returns, so that's another reason I don't see him taking over the primary back role.

Basically, if Beanie goes down, the Cards are really in a world of hurt at RB.

I like LaRod. Whisenhunt hasn't ever had a true lead back in AZ, and even though Beanie's going to get the crack at it this year (deservedly so--I think he has the talent to succeed), there's always been a second back who's had at least 100 carries. I think that was clearly the plan this year in bringing in Williams.

The Cards have also passed to the RB a lot with Whisenhunt, and LaRod is definitely a more polished receiver. I think he's absolutely worth a flier and could be a Woodhead-type success, given both the lack of other RBs and the limited starpower in the passing game. With Andre Roberts and Doucet as WR2 and WR3, I have to think the backs will be seeing a fair number of targets. If someone like Choice gets cut by his current team, throw everything I said out the window, but as a post-draft FA or 16th round pick, LaRod's looking okay by me.

^^If Choice gets released by Dallas & picked up by AZ, I'll throw up in my mouth a little

-Signed,

A Beanie owner

But seriously, yeah, I agree, LSH getting a significant role in the passing game makes too much sense as far as I'm concerned.

I am of the opinion that Arizona signing Chester Taylor was the best thing for LSH value this year--since they were likely going to bring in SOMEONE, and Taylor was about the worst player they could sign.

Users who are viewing this thread