What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Laptop not finding and networks to connect to. (1 Viewer)

mlbnfl

Footballguy
Hey guys

I searched for a general computer help thread but didn't find one so hope I'm not cluttering too much. My laptop is not finding any networks to connect to. Troubleshooting comes back with "the intel® wireless-N 7260 adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems" it asked me to plug the Ethernet cable into the laptop (connected to the router) but that didn't do it. I was using it as normal, closed it and it went to sleep, then literally opened it again maybe 15 minutes later and this issue came up, no idea what changed.

Thanks for any help.

For the record I haven't turned the router off and on if that could be a quick solution, just let it shutdown for a while to see if the issue would fix itself.

Well I rebooted the router and that didn't do the trick, but I restarted the comp after and that combination seemed to do it. Sorry for posting before taking care of of the basic restart fixes. Thanks for the reply 3C.

You didn't flip a switch on the side or front of the case that turns off your wireless card when you closed the lid by any chance, did you?

Well I rebooted the router and that didn't do the trick, but I restarted the comp after and that combination seemed to do it. Sorry for posting before taking care of of the basic restart fixes. Thanks for the reply 3C.
Sporadically, lets call it, Windows doesn't recover from sleep/hibernation correctly and wifi tends to be the loser. At least in my experience.

You didn't flip a switch on the side or front of the case that turns off your wireless card when you closed the lid by any chance, did you?
My vote.

Some laptops have a wifi button. Dumb as that may be.
Love that button - used it today to tell my work laptop to disconnect from the company wireless network so I could connect to a PLC over Ethernet. Used it again to connect back to the network to check email for 5 minutes, then again to get back to the PLC. Stoopid company policy doesn't let me on both wired and wireless networks at once.

Let's just make this the official laptop issues thread. My Samsung laptop has been having issues starting up for months now. I turn it on/restart and it gets stuck on the blue windows screen and never gets to the login screen. Same thing happens if I try to repair startup, start from last known good configuration, boot in safe mode, etc. I even tried to reset with the windows CDs once when I actually was able to login, and it got hung up trying to reboot from the discs. Any ideas how to resolve this?

If it is a pc try stopping the driver and then reenable. in device manager. Had this problem in my old pc and this worked. (About the same as an ip release in dos). Rebooting PC won't do this.

Let's just make this the official laptop issues thread. My Samsung laptop has been having issues starting up for months now. I turn it on/restart and it gets stuck on the blue windows screen and never gets to the login screen. Same thing happens if I try to repair startup, start from last known good configuration, boot in safe mode, etc. I even tried to reset with the windows CDs once when I actually was able to login, and it got hung up trying to reboot from the discs. Any ideas how to resolve this?
I would check the hard drive first.

Can you explain this to my like I'm 70 years old? From the outside the hard drive looks good, I'm assuming you mean something internal.

Google boot to command prompt and running chkdsk probably wont solve your problem but you can identify the issue as a bad hard drive which is a very common problem. Computer needs to be able to read the operating system files on HD to boot.

Can you explain this to my like I'm 70 years old? From the outside the hard drive looks good, I'm assuming you mean something internal.
LET ONE OF YOUR GRANDKIDS FIX IT AND PAY THEM IN COOKIES.

you might have a diagnostic partition on your hard drive. Hit whatever Fn key brings up the boot options when you power on (often it's F12) and look for it. Run the diagnostics if you have the partition. It will tell you if the hard drive is bad.

Or, if you can get back to the repair options by hitting F8 at boot, skip the startup repair and get into the advanced repair. You should be able to get to a command prompt and hopefully run chkdsk /r or some diagnostics from there.

If the hard drive comes back good, you may still need to blow away the partition and try to do a full factory restore or fresh install, but you will lose your saved data if you haven't backed it up.

If after all that the laptop still hangs, there is probably a different component failing, and since most everything is built into the motherboard on laptops you are probably screwed.

Rustoleum said:
chauncey said:
Rustoleum said:
chauncey said:
LET ONE OF YOUR GRANDKIDS FIX IT AND PAY THEM IN COOKIES.

you might have a diagnostic partition on your hard drive. Hit whatever Fn key brings up the boot options when you power on (often it's F12) and look for it. Run the diagnostics if you have the partition. It will tell you if the hard drive is bad.

Or, if you can get back to the repair options by hitting F8 at boot, skip the startup repair and get into the advanced repair. You should be able to get to a command prompt and hopefully run chkdsk /r or some diagnostics from there.

If the hard drive comes back good, you may still need to blow away the partition and try to do a full factory restore or fresh install, but you will lose your saved data if you haven't backed it up.

If after all that the laptop still hangs, there is probably a different component failing, and since most everything is built into the motherboard on laptops you are probably screwed.
If not, burn a copy of memtest86 (I did a bootable USB) and let that run. Could be a memory issue. If that runs w/o issue burn a copy of ultimatebootcd and run the diags it has available.

Sporadically, lets call it, Windows doesn't recover from sleep/hibernation correctly and wifi tends to be the loser. At least in my experience.
:goodposting: I had a Win8 laptop that would do it every time it went into sleep.

I would unisntall the driver, restart the computer and let it reload the driver when it comes up. If that doesn't work check to see if there is a newer driver you can install for it.

chauncey said:
I would say the majority of the time this means you have a bad hard drive. Probably the boot sector is messed up. That may be mechanical or it may be software. In your case it does sound mechanical to me.

Users who are viewing this thread