What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weird internet problems (1 Viewer)

TLEF316

Footballguy
So over the past couple of weeks, the internet on my home PC has just gone totally haywire. The main issue is just incredibly slow speeds when streaming videos (youtube, twitch, even embedded videos from twitter and FB) but there are other issues too. I have 2 GMAIL accounts, and its often VERY slow loading them. It constantly freezes (especially when I try to switch from one to the other) and when I delete emails, they come back. (no issue if I delete from my phone)

I've been using Firefox as my browser for years and never had an issue. I've experimented with Chrome in the last week or so, which seems to help a LITTLE. But its only a temporary fix at times and youtube videos still often go to the lowest possible quality or just straight up freeze. The gmail issues persist. Gaming seems to be a little sluggish as well

I've got a 1GB speed wired connection from Verizon fios. I've run several speed tests and DL speed is usually north of 850MB but ocassionally it will show much slower (just ran one that topped out at 450) The PC in question is hard connected to the router. I've tried re-setting the router, changing to a different port, resetting the actual modem out in the garage, no help. Nothing pops up on virus/malware scan.

Other devices have been hit or miss. Streaming on my xbox via prime video, netflix or paramount plus seems fine. My work connection (WIFI via the same router) has been ok. Its really just the PC (as far as I can tell)

Any suggestions here? I build my own PCs so I'm pretty decent with this stuff, but I'd be surprised if its a hardware issue specific to that. Wondering if Verizon is just throttling my connection for some reason.

Not exactly the same issue, but we have a 200Mbps plan and routinely shows 275-300Mbps.

Lately, especially in the evening, our tests show like 5-50Mbps and my gaming kid notices the latency affects him.

So here's the weird thing... every time I open Google Home and run a speed test on the Google Nest that has the main in-bound wire (we have one on each floor as part of a 3-router mesh system), the speed issues resolve and are immediately restored, on every device in the house, to ~200Mbps+.

I can't really think of any reason this would work, but I'm like 4-for-4 now with this method.

If everything else is working fine and it's just that PC as it sounds I'd replace the NIC.

Bring up Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del then Task Manager) and see what processes/applications you have running.
Have you recently updated antivirus or installed any other programs besides Chrome? They may have snuck in a background program. Also check your browsers and see if you have any add-ons/extensions running (If so, disable all and see if that makes any difference).

Sounds like a bad NIC or cable maybe? I’ve had issues where the settings went back to default for auto-duplex, but clearly it wasn’t getting the 1 GB throughput. Frontier FIOS user here.

Thanks for the responses guys.

- no new programs installed as far as I know (checked the task manager and didnt see anything out of the ordinary).
- No VPN being used (although I thought about trying that, thinking they might just be throttling my area). No extensions or plug-ins on either browser (other than ad-block on Firefox, which I turn off on youtube anyway)
- Obviously dont have a standalone network adapter (just using the one that comes with the motherboard) so I guess that COULD be an issue (although everything in device manager looks fine)
- I am going to try and swap out the CAT 6 cable (although its a PITA because I run it through like 4 walls to get from my router to the PC)

The youtube issues are the most annoying but most easily explained. I have no freaking idea why my browser wont even swap between gmail accounts anymore. I thought it might just be a google products thing (since google obviously owns both youtube and gmail) but there's also issues with twich and embedded vids on other platforms (like twitter) which aren't google related. And again....Chrome is an issue too (so its not like its a google on firefox issue)

Just so damn annoying. REALLY hoping I dont have to swap out a motherboard or something (really not ready to rebuild my PC again yet)

Thanks for the responses guys.

- no new programs installed as far as I know (checked the task manager and didnt see anything out of the ordinary).
- No VPN being used (although I thought about trying that, thinking they might just be throttling my area). No extensions or plug-ins on either browser (other than ad-block on Firefox, which I turn off on youtube anyway)
- Obviously dont have a standalone network adapter (just using the one that comes with the motherboard) so I guess that COULD be an issue (although everything in device manager looks fine)
- I am going to try and swap out the CAT 6 cable (although its a PITA because I run it through like 4 walls to get from my router to the PC)

The youtube issues are the most annoying but most easily explained. I have no freaking idea why my browser wont even swap between gmail accounts anymore. I thought it might just be a google products thing (since google obviously owns both youtube and gmail) but there's also issues with twich and embedded vids on other platforms (like twitter) which aren't google related. And again....Chrome is an issue too (so its not like its a google on firefox issue)

Just so damn annoying. REALLY hoping I dont have to swap out a motherboard or something (really not ready to rebuild my PC again yet)
Before you rerun your CAT 6 through walls, just run it throught he hallway to test it out.

Users who are viewing this thread