What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lance Dunbar-A possible star in the making? (1 Viewer)

Anyone got an answer for the most important question - is Dunbar really going to be Murray's replacement next year?

Rotoworld:

ESPN Dallas' Todd Archer believes the Cowboys "actually mean it" when they say they plan to get Lance Dunbar "more involved" this season.

Dunbar was a popular sleeper in fantasy circles last offseason, but wound up with only 47 touches in 16 games. Archer says the Cowboys "like what (Dunbar) can do in space," and "believe he can be a mismatch player for defenses." 5-foot-8 and 205 pounds, Dunbar has Shane Vereenian space-back skills and 4.47 long speed. The Cowboys plan to utilize a running back committee, with Joseph Randle in the lead, and Darren McFadden and Dunbar mixing in.

Source: ESPN Dallas
Jun 15 - 4:56 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Dallas' Todd Archer believes the Cowboys "actually mean it" when they say they plan to get Lance Dunbar "more involved" this season.

Dunbar was a popular sleeper in fantasy circles last offseason, but wound up with only 47 touches in 16 games. Archer says the Cowboys "like what (Dunbar) can do in space," and "believe he can be a mismatch player for defenses." 5-foot-8 and 205 pounds, Dunbar has Shane Vereenian space-back skills and 4.47 long speed. The Cowboys plan to utilize a running back committee, with Joseph Randle in the lead, and Darren McFadden and Dunbar mixing in.

Source: ESPN Dallas
Jun 15 - 4:56 PM
Typical Archer piece....yes Todd, we all expect him to rush more then the 29 times and catch 16 balls last year.

Way to go out on limb...

Rotoworld:

ESPN Cowboys reporter Todd Archer said RB Lance Dunbar "will finally become a viable part of the offense."

An explosive back with Shane Vereenian skills, Dunbar has the passing-game chops to form a dynamic partnership with presumed starter Joseph Randle. With Darren McFadden already sidelined by injuries, Dunbar could end up with the second most snaps in the Cowboys' backfield. He is an interesting flier in deeper PPR leagues.

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 1 - 7:12 AM

I saw the Dunbar talk. I was curious to see if there was anything there. The Cowboys line is there and they have other RBs with injury issues. For my 2 cents, I think the Cowboys will pull in a vet off the street if it comes to Dunbar or bust.

Rotoworld:

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, "fumbling has been a problem" for RB Lance Dunbar at Cowboys camp.

Dunbar failed to earn a consistent role in Dallas' backfield last year and could again if he can't fix his ball-security woes. He had another fumble in team drills during Tuesday evening's practice, forcing coaches to pull Dunbar off the field. The Cowboys are hoping Dunbar steps up to claim their passing-down-back job. Dunbar has a similar skill set to Shane Vereen.

Source: Charean Williams on Twitter

Aug 18 - 9:29 PM

Question: Lance Dunbar caught a lot of balls late in the Week 1 game. Dez is out for at least six weeks. Will Dallas use Dunbar consistently enough as a WR to be a viable RB2 in PPR? I worry because his production mostly came near the end of the game and because he didn't get any carries so it seems like his usage is almost exclusively as a receiver. Are people starting him with confidence in Week 2?

Question: Lance Dunbar caught a lot of balls late in the Week 1 game. Dez is out for at least six weeks. Will Dallas use Dunbar consistently enough as a WR to be a viable RB2 in PPR? I worry because his production mostly came near the end of the game and because he didn't get any carries so it seems like his usage is almost exclusively as a receiver. Are people starting him with confidence in Week 2?
So let me preface by saying I went WR heavy in both my main leagues, so I'm thin at RB...Also, I play in a 0.5 PPR league.

I'm all-in on Dunbar. He got some decent targets in week 1. Yes. The Cowboys were often playing from behind...but I think it's also reflective of what their offense will be. Let's look at it like this...With Dez out, I think most would agree this WR corps isn't scary to anyone. Williams /= Dez. Beasley isn't the answer either. Witten will continue to be an outlet like he always was, but he's not the threat. If you were a team faced with the Cowboys, and you know they have a good line, why wouldn't you start to stack the box? None of those WR's are going to beat you deep regularly.

So...if you stack the box, traditional backs like Randle and McFadden are going to have a much harder time. Put in a guy like Dunbar, who can line up at RB, then shift out to the slot, covered by a LB in what is now a mis-match, and you've got a lot more flexibility.

Basically, I'm banking on Dez's absence leading to more teams selling out against the Dallas run...which will make them want a more flexible RB. I'm not saying Dunbar is THE man in Dallas. I still would rather own Randle...but considering I can get Dunbar as a FA now, and I'd have had to spend an early/middle round pick for Randle, I'm OK with Dunbar.

He'll be involved in my committee backfield (Ellington, Ivory, Crowell, Duke Johnson, and Jennings)...I'll probably play match-ups with all of them.

So let me preface by saying I went WR heavy in both my main leagues, so I'm thin at RB...Also, I play in a 0.5 PPR league.

I'm all-in on Dunbar. He got some decent targets in week 1. Yes. The Cowboys were often playing from behind...but I think it's also reflective of what their offense will be. Let's look at it like this...With Dez out, I think most would agree this WR corps isn't scary to anyone. Williams /= Dez. Beasley isn't the answer either. Witten will continue to be an outlet like he always was, but he's not the threat. If you were a team faced with the Cowboys, and you know they have a good line, why wouldn't you start to stack the box? None of those WR's are going to beat you deep regularly.

So...if you stack the box, traditional backs like Randle and McFadden are going to have a much harder time. Put in a guy like Dunbar, who can line up at RB, then shift out to the slot, covered by a LB in what is now a mis-match, and you've got a lot more flexibility.

Basically, I'm banking on Dez's absence leading to more teams selling out against the Dallas run...which will make them want a more flexible RB. I'm not saying Dunbar is THE man in Dallas. I still would rather own Randle...but considering I can get Dunbar as a FA now, and I'd have had to spend an early/middle round pick for Randle, I'm OK with Dunbar.

He'll be involved in my committee backfield (Ellington, Ivory, Crowell, Duke Johnson, and Jennings)...I'll probably play match-ups with all of them.
You made the other side other argument that I also was thinking. No Dez changes everything. It should mean more need for a a pass catching back.

Dunbar leads all RBs with 21 receptions off 23 targets. I'm in a full PPR and I'm tempted to drop David Johnson for him. He also returns kicks if your league includes that (ours is 50/pt so it's negligible.)

I don't think I'll do it, but it sure seems like he'll be valuable over the next 6 weeks.

Dunbar leads all RBs with 21 receptions off 23 targets. I'm in a full PPR and I'm tempted to drop David Johnson for him. He also returns kicks if your league includes that (ours is 50/pt so it's negligible.)

I don't think I'll do it, but it sure seems like he'll be valuable over the next 6 weeks.
In PPR I don't think it should even be a question. I'd drop Johnson for him for sure (though I'd of course prefer to drop someone else if possible).

Dunbar is a top 12 PPR RB so far this season and he gives you a floor of probably 4/40 receiving. While that's not great, 8 points as a floor is great in the current RB market. His upside is pretty much what we saw last week, with a TD sprinkled in.

The question is how long is that amount of targets sustainable. With Romo and Dez out I guess it is but his usage his highly dependent on gameflow.

I just picked him up and likely starting him in the flex this week if Foster doesnt return but I'm a little worried that teams will start taking Dunbar away and forcing Weeden to go downfield to.............

Yeah, I'm surprised there isn't more talk about him. If he was drafted at all, he was a late round flyer in leagues. In several deep leagues I'm in, he's still on the ww. It's true he is basically a WR playing the RB position, but that in itself is kind of valuable in certain leagues. He does need to score some TDs at some point, but for PPR or yardage leagues seems you could do a lot worse; no Dez, QB who seems to check down A LOT, good O line, fast. He is a complete mis-match for LBs and I like the way Dallas is using him this year. He played 2 less snaps than Randle last week and almost 2x as many as McFadden.

He may not run the ball much, but I can see him continuing to get his catches. He is #13 in the league in receptions; ahead of Cooper, Megatron, OBJ, AJ Green, TY Hilton, etc. Right now the targets, catches and yards are all there, if the TDs come, he would be extremely valuable IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question is how long is that amount of targets sustainable. With Romo and Dez out I guess it is but his usage his highly dependent on gameflow.

I just picked him up and likely starting him in the flex this week if Foster doesnt return but I'm a little worried that teams will start taking Dunbar away and forcing Weeden to go downfield to.............
I really don't think the game situation matters. So far this year he has 5 touches in the first quarter, 6 in the second, 6 in the third, and 6 in the fourth. He's consistently getting the ball, even though they have been ahead and played from behind at different points this season.

When they are ahead or in a close game, he's simply part of the gameplan as a receiver. When they are behind or in comeback mode, he's a RB that gets a lot of dumpoffs.

The only way I see him not being involved is if the Giants build up a huge lead, but that affects any receiving option (let's be serious, he might have the RB title, but he's a receiver). I really think that we're looking at Darren Sproles (New Orleans) kind of season from Dunbar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I ended up picking him up. Dropped Ebron (have Kelce.)

RBs I drafted I'm holding/not starting until they become productive:

Forsett

Abdullah

Spiller

RBs I picked off waivers I'm holding/not starting until they become productive:

D. Johnson

M. Jones

This week's starters:

Dunbar

Sproles

Already gave up on Crowell.

2 QBs

4 WRs (must start 3)

7 RBs (1 RB 1 W/R Flex)

1 TE

1 K

1 DST

Pretty sure I've never rostered this many RBs in a 15/16 x 12 redraft.

Does anyone have any insight on when Dunbar will go on IR? Picked him up off waivers which means I can keep him for a 12th rounder next year and we have an IR slot, but I can't put him there until his status changes from Out to IR on Yahoo.

I need to pick up a TE for Sunday, so if he doesn't change by then will need to drop him or Rishard Matthews (or go w/o a TE this week since I'll still be a fairly significant underdog based on matchups).

Dunbar is active, somewhat ahead of expectation. What do we think his role will be this year? I can't imagine Elliot will be just a 2-down back, which leaves Dunbar as the 2-min drill rb and 3rd down back when Morris gets a drive.

Is Dunbar used in the slot ever?

Users who are viewing this thread