What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kidney Stones (3 Viewers)

I think I've got one of these buggers right now. There's a constant dull pain on my left side, and I can't pee even though it feels like my bladder is full. I have no pain pills on hand. I could try to drive to the hospital but I'm not sure if I could drive through the pain.
GL... this is really high on my list of things to hopefully avoid.

I think I've got one of these buggers right now. There's a constant dull pain on my left side, and I can't pee even though it feels like my bladder is full. I have no pain pills on hand. I could try to drive to the hospital but I'm not sure if I could drive through the pain.
From my experience pain pills or anything else will help much. Good luck to you.

A friend is bringing me a bottle of 10-year-old Percocet. Hopefully that will tide me over. Those things don't expire do they??

A friend is bringing me a bottle of 10-year-old Percocet. Hopefully that will tide me over. Those things don't expire do they??
When I had my kidney stone 4 years ago I was given Percocet and I still have the remaining pills in case it happens again. I am curious too if there is an expiration date. I went to the er because I wasn't sure if it was a kidney stone or appendix. It was the worst pain of my life. Constant pain in lower back and unability to urinate despite having to go. I threw up from the pain before heading to er. Flomax was given to me as well to speed up the stone and I passed it the next morning.

Good luck!

GL... this is really high on my list of things to hopefully avoid.
True. Your doctor should prescribe some pills for you to have on hand when this happens. That's what Mr R does.

BTW, 10-year-old Percoset still packs a punch. I was numb to the pain all day yesterday.

I highly recommend keeping a stash of them for sudden kidney stone emergencies.

Did you pass the stone yet?
The pain is gone so I'm pretty sure it passed into my bladder. I haven't seen it pass through my urethra yet but the stone might be too small to see.

Compared to previous experiences, this one did not take nearly as long. It started on Saturday morning and was done by Saturday night. I had a stone a few years ago that put me out of action for 3 days.

I just underwent a procedure this morning where they went in and got 2 previously broken up pieces of stones stuck between my kidney and bladder. They also put in a stent with what looks like fishing line hanging out. So I'm supposed to pull it out myself on Wednesday and then maybe finally I will be done dealing with kidney stones. Just hope I never get any more.

Ick, how was them going up there to pull them out and how is the stent? That's pretty much what I've been trying to avoid all my life.

Ick, how was them going up there to pull them out and how is the stent? That's pretty much what I've been trying to avoid all my life.
Anasthesia. They totally knocked me out and even had to have a breathing machine hooked up. So it seemed like it was over in like one second to me. Burns when I pee with the stent but it's not that bad. Sure it could be worse. Like the pain you get when you first get a stone.

I had them twice. First time all they did was give me some pain killers and a mini spaghetti strainer to pee in to catch the stone. The pain killers did nothing for me. I was in agony for about a week. The only relief was when I'd be so exhausted from being awake from the pain that I'd finally fall asleep or pass out. Not sure which. First time I had blood in my urine. And it feels like you've been punched in the kidney. Doctor said that the pain is a good sign. It means that the stone is moving. When the pain stops it means either it's passed or it's stuck.

Since all they did was give me pain killers that didn't work the first time, with the second stone I didn't go to the doctor. And the only pain killer I used was tylenol.

To stop them? I have read to drink lots of water. I have read conflicting reports on calcium. Some say to increase calcium, claiming the body is retaining calcium due to not getting enough. Others said to avoid calcium, that it's due to too much. I had the stones within about 5 years of each other. The last time occuring about 17 years ago. I mainly increased my water intake.

I kept the stones and had them analyzed. Mine were calcium.

Last edited by a moderator:
The opiate pills don't generally work once the pain kicks in. You have to stay on top of it before the pain comes. I can't imagine having constant kidney stone pain for a week. I would get it, go to the ER and get an opiate by IV and then start on the opiate pills. The stone then moved away from the urether and I was OK for a week only to have it happen again. The second time I took Dilaudid every day even if I felt nothing. I was supposed to have the same surgery as NREC but ended up passing the stone the night before the surgery was scheduled.

I had them twice. First time all they did was give me some pain killers and a mini spaghetti strainer to pee in to catch the stone. The pain killers did nothing for me. I was in agony for about a week. The only relief was when I'd be so exhausted from being awake from the pain that I'd finally fall asleep or pass out. Not sure which. First time I had blood in my urine. And it feels like you've been punched in the kidney. Doctor said that the pain is a good sign. It means that the stone is moving. When the pain stops it means either it's passed or it's stuck.

Since all they did was give me pain killers that didn't work the first time, with the second stone I didn't go to the doctor. And the only pain killer I used was tylenol.

To stop them? I have read to drink lots of water. I have read conflicting reports on calcium. Some say to increase calcium, claiming the body is retaining calcium due to not getting enough. Others said to avoid calcium, that it's due to too much. I had the stones within about 5 years of each other. The last time occuring about 17 years ago. I mainly increased my water intake.

I kept the stones and had them analyzed. Mine were calcium.
Mine were oxalate, which I believe I read is the most common.

To try to stop future ones I do try to drink more water. I also have been drinking coconut water quite a bit. I have read a few places saying it's great for them and I really like it. I pretty much quit coffee and most other caffeine. The exception is I drink 2 monster energy drinks per day which probably isn't a good thing. I also try to avoid food with oxalate where I can like spinach.

I had a kidney stone back in 2011 but have been lucky enough not to get another one.  I cut out soda from my diet, drinking only water and lemonade for the most part.  

If I feel another coming on in the future I may try and stay home and pass it myself but it will suck ###.  

i had a short symptom 3 weeks ago, then another one last week which was a bit worse.

had ct and its 3-4mm one in left ureter only causing minimal obstruction with no pain now.  been guzzling about 3-4 liters of water a day since (along with some beer)

So, I am wrapping up week number 2 with a 6mm stone in my ureter.  This ******* doesn't seem to want to move too quickly.  Two previous stone episodes came and went rather quickly.  Second one was more painful than the first, but only lasted about 4-5 hours before it was flushed out.  I have never really been treated before.  This go round took me to the ER on day 4.  Followed up with a urologist this past Friday.  I was actually pain free for the past 4 days and was hoping the worst was over, but today wasn't so good.  Xray on Friday and ultrasound today confirm stone is still in ureter.    Anyway, the urologist is advising ureterscopic laser lithotripsy.   I would probably just choose to continue riding it out (taking Flomax and managing pain as needed) but my creatinine levels are slightly elevated so he feels intervention is warranted.   He did mention as an option extracorporeal shock wave lithrotripsy which sounds much more appealing to me.  He is of the mindset that the ureterscopy is more effective and expedient than the shock wave method.  

I have a pretty high pain tolerance.  Mentally, I have a much easier time handling the kidney stone pain than I do the thought of tubes, cameras, lasers, and stents being sent up through the plumbing.  My wife tells me to quit being a baby and do what the doctor recommends, but the sound of "extracorporeal" seems so much nicer than "utereroscopy".  Anybody have experience both of these?  Any failed lithotripsy attempts out there?  

So, I am wrapping up week number 2 with a 6mm stone in my ureter.  This ******* doesn't seem to want to move too quickly.  Two previous stone episodes came and went rather quickly.  Second one was more painful than the first, but only lasted about 4-5 hours before it was flushed out.  I have never really been treated before.  This go round took me to the ER on day 4.  Followed up with a urologist this past Friday.  I was actually pain free for the past 4 days and was hoping the worst was over, but today wasn't so good.  Xray on Friday and ultrasound today confirm stone is still in ureter.    Anyway, the urologist is advising ureterscopic laser lithotripsy.   I would probably just choose to continue riding it out (taking Flomax and managing pain as needed) but my creatinine levels are slightly elevated so he feels intervention is warranted.   He did mention as an option extracorporeal shock wave lithrotripsy which sounds much more appealing to me.  He is of the mindset that the ureterscopy is more effective and expedient than the shock wave method.  

I have a pretty high pain tolerance.  Mentally, I have a much easier time handling the kidney stone pain than I do the thought of tubes, cameras, lasers, and stents being sent up through the plumbing.  My wife tells me to quit being a baby and do what the doctor recommends, but the sound of "extracorporeal" seems so much nicer than "utereroscopy".  Anybody have experience both of these?  Any failed lithotripsy attempts out there?  
Yes I had failed lithotripsy. They broke it up and part of passed but rest of it got stuck and I had to eventually have that other procedure. Utereroscopy. I'm pretty sure I posted about it. Very painful for a couple of days until I was able to take the stent out. Then it got a lot less painful. GL 

I had an ESWL on a large stone two weeks ago. Stone was 2.5cm by 1.5cm. I opted not to use a stent after reading literature that it isn't necessary and could actually have a negative impact. The stone broke up really well into fine pieces, but I likely still have some of it in me so I can't say anything definitive yet. I did have another lithotripsy on a much smaller stone (but still bigger than yours) a dozen years ago or so, and it went really well. Didn't need a stent. 6mm isn't very big, as you can tell by it moving to your ureter. It could actually pass on its own if you wait it out. Elevated creatinine levels are natural when you have a stone and should go back to normal once you're rid of it. Seems to me the doc is being overly careful as docs tend to do. And then I'm not sure why he's not recommending the least invasive procedure. 6mm is nothing. As long as it's not in a bad spot for ESWL, you should be able to have that done and pass it without a stent. Also know that if you don't have good insurance, the price on these is going to be ridiculous.

I had an ESWL on a large stone two weeks ago. Stone was 2.5cm by 1.5cm. I opted not to use a stent after reading literature that it isn't necessary and could actually have a negative impact. The stone broke up really well into fine pieces, but I likely still have some of it in me so I can't say anything definitive yet. I did have another lithotripsy on a much smaller stone (but still bigger than yours) a dozen years ago or so, and it went really well. Didn't need a stent. 6mm isn't very big, as you can tell by it moving to your ureter. It could actually pass on its own if you wait it out. Elevated creatinine levels are natural when you have a stone and should go back to normal once you're rid of it. Seems to me the doc is being overly careful as docs tend to do. And then I'm not sure why he's not recommending the least invasive procedure. 6mm is nothing. As long as it's not in a bad spot for ESWL, you should be able to have that done and pass it without a stent. Also know that if you don't have good insurance, the price on these is going to be ridiculous.
Damn!  

Thanks for the input.  I get that the elevated creatinine is normal in this situation.  What I don't know are the ramifications for my kidneys of just leaving it high for a while while nature takes it course.   Is there a time frame, or a creatinine level, that becomes detrimental to my kidney function?  I guess I should do more research and question the doctor more.  Doc is waiting for me to respond and schedule a procedure.  I may just drag my feet a little while longer and buy some additional time for the stone to get through on its own.  I know from the ER visit (CT scan) and a week later at the urologist (x-ray) the stone hadn't really moved any further.  Creatinine went from 1.10 up to 1.46 in that time.  I read normal is between 0.70 - 1.40 so it doesn't seem too extreme yet, or at least it wasn't 5 or 6 days ago.

I had a rather bad experience with a large stone and a ureteroscopy about 8 years ago, things may have changed since then but I'll share my experience at the time.  Woke up one Sunday morning and thought some organ in my body had exploded the pain was so bad, I literally crawled into the ER on my hands and knees thinking I was going to be dead within the hour and then a nurse walked past me while I was rolling around on the floor like a turtle that got stuck on its shell and she very calmly said "kidney stone?" and kept on walking.  I mentally felt relieved that I was probably not going to die, but the pain was unlike anything I could have ever imagined.  Anyway, the ER does a bunch of tests and confirms I have a stone, the ER doctor says its not that big and should pass on its own so I wait it out in the ER.

They would only give me the heavy drugs once every 4 hours, but they would wear off about every 2.5 to 3 hours so for the next 24 hours I had an endless 4 hour cycle which included 2.5 hours of exhilaration followed by 1.5 hours of complete torture.  By the following day I was completely worn out physically and mentally and further tests confirmed the stone hadn't moved.  When the urologist came in and examined my test results he said "I have no idea why the ER doctor is telling you this will pass on its own, this is at least 6-7mm and is not moving, we need to remove this with ureteroscopy".  At that point I would have done anything to end the misery so I agreed.

The procedure itself was nothing, I was knocked out for it so I obviously don't remember anything and when I woke up the kidney pain was gone and the only real evidence that anything had been done was a burning sensation when I pissed which he gave me some medication to help control (I don't remember the name of it but it turned my piss bright orange).  Anyway, this would have been awesome if that had been the end of it, but unfortunately I found out after that they leave a stent inside of you which has to be removed at a later date and this is done in the doctor's office while you are awake.

I had the surgery on a Monday and he scheduled me on Friday to have the stent removed, this is where my nightmare really began.  I show up to his office on a Friday and when I get into the room a female nurse grabs a hold of my junk and proceeds to jab a needle into it in about 10 or 15 different places to completely numb it.  Doctor comes in and rams a ureterscope up my pee hole and continues sliding it in until he gets to my bladder and says "oh did you take that medication this morning?"  (the one that helps with the burning but turns your piss bright orange).  I tell him yes I did.  He proceeds to tell me for the first time that I wasn't supposed to do that the morning that I have the stent removed because now he cannot see anything so he'll need to "flush my bladder".  He removes the ureterscope and sticks some other device that I can only describe as a small garden hose up my pee hole and shoots water into my bladder and I begin pissing orange all over the place, it was like being at a Bengals themed water park.  He then finishes flushing my bladder and sticks the ureterscope back up my pee hole, finds the stent and proceeds to rip it out of my body via my pee hole.  Having the stent removed was by far the worst part of the entire kidney stone experience.  I thought my ordeal was over, but that was not to be.  I leave the urologist office and go home, about 2-3 hours later I get excruciating pain in my kidney, felt like I had another stone, I call up the urologist and say wtf is going on?  He says, "yeah, I was afraid of that, we usually leave the stent in 1 to 2 weeks, yours was only in 4 days, your ureter is probably still swollen from the surgery and it blocks the flow of urine, why don't you come back in and I'll put the stent back inside you for another week".  I told him that he should eat a #### and then prescribe me the strongest drugs he was legally allowed to because there was no chance in hell he was putting that stent back inside me.  I took some pain killers for the next 24 hours or so and eventually the pain went away.   By far the worst experience of my life.

Galileo said:
Damn!  

Thanks for the input.  I get that the elevated creatinine is normal in this situation.  What I don't know are the ramifications for my kidneys of just leaving it high for a while while nature takes it course.   Is there a time frame, or a creatinine level, that becomes detrimental to my kidney function?  I guess I should do more research and question the doctor more.  Doc is waiting for me to respond and schedule a procedure.  I may just drag my feet a little while longer and buy some additional time for the stone to get through on its own.  I know from the ER visit (CT scan) and a week later at the urologist (x-ray) the stone hadn't really moved any further.  Creatinine went from 1.10 up to 1.46 in that time.  I read normal is between 0.70 - 1.40 so it doesn't seem too extreme yet, or at least it wasn't 5 or 6 days ago.
I've had high levels of creatinine for years (because I've had this stone in me for years) and my kidney functions still test out as normal. A few weeks more isn't going to be a big deal. And my creatinine levels were over 3 before they broke up the stone two weeks ago. I had seen a nephrologist before the procedure, and they weren't too concerned. It's definitely possible to have a breakthrough where it gets unstuck and moves. But it is a large stone to pass (while a pretty mild stone overall). I would discuss with your doctor the possibility of just waiting and having it move on its own over the next couple weeks. If he says no, I would discuss the less invasive ESWL (still not a picnic) without a stent.

NJ said:
I had a rather bad experience with a large stone and a ureteroscopy about 8 years ago, things may have changed since then but I'll share my experience at the time.  Woke up one Sunday morning and thought some organ in my body had exploded the pain was so bad, I literally crawled into the ER on my hands and knees thinking I was going to be dead within the hour and then a nurse walked past me while I was rolling around on the floor like a turtle that got stuck on its shell and she very calmly said "kidney stone?" and kept on walking.  I mentally felt relieved that I was probably not going to die, but the pain was unlike anything I could have ever imagined.
Heh, funny story in retrospect. Must have been your first stone. That's the way I felt with my first stone at age 22 but all subsequent stones, while still bothersome, haven't been unbearable pain like the first. Maybe the first loosens up the ureter or something. I've passed about a dozen regular stones in my life, and had the lithotripsy twice where I could fill a sugar packet with stone fragments. I've never had a stent. My urologist is obsessed with them, but I refuse. I think he's an old man who wants touch my peen.

have a 3-4mm one right now..Original diagnois was back in May after I had some pain and blood.  They did they CT and other tets where they go up and check its nothing back.  Found it on the CT scan.  I had a check up last week and they couldnt see anything on the X-ray. 

He said good news and bad news.. Good news we dont see it, bad news since you dont have it or think you passed it, we need to do another CT to make sure its gone.  and if its not will need to get oit either by surgery, the shock thing or going up and getting it.  I have been comepletely symptom free since the original pain in May, and that was never that bad.

I really dont want to do another CT due to the radioation and stuff, so I'm getting a second opinion.  My normal dr said since pain free to not get it, well see what 2nd urologist says tomorrow.

have a 3-4mm one right now..Original diagnois was back in May after I had some pain and blood.  They did they CT and other tets where they go up and check its nothing back.  Found it on the CT scan.  I had a check up last week and they couldnt see anything on the X-ray. 

He said good news and bad news.. Good news we dont see it, bad news since you dont have it or think you passed it, we need to do another CT to make sure its gone.  and if its not will need to get oit either by surgery, the shock thing or going up and getting it.  I have been comepletely symptom free since the original pain in May, and that was never that bad.

I really dont want to do another CT due to the radioation and stuff, so I'm getting a second opinion.  My normal dr said since pain free to not get it, well see what 2nd urologist says tomorrow.
It's really not that urgent that you've had a stone in you for a few months. I've had a stone in me for four years. It got bigger over that time, so not saying it's a good idea. I just know that ct scans are ridiculously expensive in my health plan. If you don't have symptoms you could just forget about it and deal with it again if you do.

The radiation from a CT scan isn't high enough to worry about unless you are getting a buttload of them.  But if it isn't bothering you, I'd wait.

(Mr R is the king champeen of passing gravel.)

It's really not that urgent that you've had a stone in you for a few months. I've had a stone in me for four years. It got bigger over that time, so not saying it's a good idea. I just know that ct scans are ridiculously expensive in my health plan. If you don't have symptoms you could just forget about it and deal with it again if you do.
they will cost me $150.. 1 - id rather not pay that much, and 2 dont want the raditation from it really.  and what happens if its still there and schedule surgery or something out in anoher 4-5 weeks couldnt it move by the time surgery comes and need to do another

The radiation from a CT scan isn't high enough to worry about unless you are getting a buttload of them.  But if it isn't bothering you, I'd wait.

(Mr R is the king champeen of passing gravel.)
yeah im not too worried but still.. I had to have an extra one on the thorax too that needs a follow up in a year, but I have 2 buddies that are radiologists and they say they are 250x an xray even the low dose ones. So this would make 4 of them within a yr time frame

they will cost me $150.. 1 - id rather not pay that much, and 2 dont want the raditation from it really.  and what happens if its still there and schedule surgery or something out in anoher 4-5 weeks couldnt it move by the time surgery comes and need to do another
Nah...they'll just shove a camera up your pipes and find it visually.

Heh, funny story in retrospect. Must have been your first stone. That's the way I felt with my first stone at age 22 but all subsequent stones, while still bothersome, haven't been unbearable pain like the first. Maybe the first loosens up the ureter or something. I've passed about a dozen regular stones in my life, and had the lithotripsy twice where I could fill a sugar packet with stone fragments. I've never had a stent. My urologist is obsessed with them, but I refuse. I think he's an old man who wants touch my peen.
Mine seem to be progressing the other way.  I didn't even know I had the first stone until I shot that ******* out.  It was pain free other than a slight flicking sensation at the tip of my drainpipe.  The second one gave me only a couple hours of grief before it passed.  This third one has been the longest lasting effect and is responsible for the most intense pain episode, but fortunately I haven't had continuous pain.  

I could be wrong, but I suspect the intense pain I had was due to the flow of urine being blocked by the size of the stone and backing up into my kidney rather than the stone itself causing the pain as it passed.  The only reason I suspect this is that the intense pain I had when I first entered the ER was the same pain I had after he removed the stent and the stone was already gone but I had swelling in my ureter blocking the flow of urine yet again.  The stent should have stayed in me longer to allow the swelling to heal from the surgery.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the intense pain I had was due to the flow of urine being blocked by the size of the stone and backing up into my kidney rather than the stone itself causing the pain as it passed.  The only reason I suspect this is that the intense pain I had when I first entered the ER was the same pain I had after he removed the stent and the stone was already gone but I had swelling in my ureter blocking the flow of urine yet again.  The stent should have stayed in me longer to allow the swelling to heal from the surgery.
I had an x-ray done last Thursday that showed my entire ureter filled with 3cm of stone fragments, but I wasn't in any pain. The pain is from the stone moving down the ureter. If it's not moving, you'll just have mild discomfort. You can get some tightness from urine backing up due to the blockage, but for the most part it just goes out the other kidney.

You're lucky. Mine charges $900 on top of my insurance, including a charge for having a doctor I don't even know take a look at the scan 3 weeks after the fact when the guy who really needed to see it -- the urologist -- already had. FU Kaiser.

I had an x-ray done last Thursday that showed my entire ureter filled with 3cm of stone fragments, but I wasn't in any pain. The pain is from the stone moving down the ureter. If it's not moving, you'll just have mild discomfort. You can get some tightness from urine backing up due to the blockage, but for the most part it just goes out the other kidney.
http://www.kidneystoners.org/information/why-do-stones-hurt/

According to this the pain is caused when the stone causes a blockage and increases pressure on the kidney.

A kidney stone usually first causes symptoms when it tries to move down the ureter and out of the urinary system. As it makes its way down the ureter, it can cause a blockage, which leads to the development of increased pressure in the kidney above. This pressure leads to the pain associated with passing a stone.
Most doctors feel that kidney stones only cause pain if they are blocking the ureter and trying to pass down towards the bladder. Stones that are not obstructing, such as those located in the kidney’s calyxes, are generally thought to be non-painful.
I'm no doctor, but I had intense pain after the stone was removed because according to the urologist the stent was taken out too early and my ureter was still blocked due to the swelling from the surgery.   :shrug:

They attached what looked like a piece of fishing line to my stent and said pull it out on your own after a couple of days. I was kind of scared to do it but it wasn't that big of a deal. 

I assume my ureter is obstructed as I type this, and I'm in no pain. I have a lot of experience with the ureter being obstructed, and the pressure it can create that feels like a tightness. But the only time there's shooting pain is when the stone is moving down the ureter. I'm always happy to get that pain, because it means progress is being made.

I assume my ureter is obstructed as I type this, and I'm in no pain. I have a lot of experience with the ureter being obstructed, and the pressure it can create that feels like a tightness. But the only time there's shooting pain is when the stone is moving down the ureter. I'm always happy to get that pain, because it means progress is being made.
If having an obstructed ureter causes no pain and the urine just flows out the other kidney then what's the purpose of them leaving the stent inside of you after a ureteroscopy?  I was under the assumption it was to allow the unobstructed flow of urine until you are healed?  If the urine can just flow out the other kidney with just some mild tightness I will happily opt for no stent next time I am lucky enough to get one of these little bastards inside of me.   :unsure:

If having an obstructed ureter causes no pain and the urine just flows out the other kidney then what's the purpose of them leaving the stent inside of you after a ureteroscopy?  I was under the assumption it was to allow the unobstructed flow of urine until you are healed?  If the urine can just flow out the other kidney with just some mild tightness I will happily opt for no stent next time I am lucky enough to get one of these little bastards inside of me.   :unsure:
I'm not sure why they are giving you a ureteroscopy rather than the less invasive lithotripsy in the first place. I understand there are locations of a stone that hinder a lithotripsy, and maybe that was your case. But if you have another stone that isn't passing, I would recommend inquiring about the lithotripsy. But here's a recent guideline from the Canadian Urological Association that talks about the usage of stents in ESWL on page 13 (recommends against them) and also with a ureteroscopy on page 18.

I'm not sure why they are giving you a ureteroscopy rather than the less invasive lithotripsy in the first place. I understand there are locations of a stone that hinder a lithotripsy, and maybe that was your case. But if you have another stone that isn't passing, I would recommend inquiring about the lithotripsy. But here's a recent guideline from the Canadian Urological Association that talks about the usage of stents in ESWL on page 13 (recommends against them) and also with a ureteroscopy on page 18.
Yeah, at the time I had asked about the shock wave treatment but they said that wasn't an option, don't remember if it was because of the size or location of the stone.  This was 8 years ago, I'm sure there have been some advancements and probably some changes in what's recommended in different situations.  Or maybe my urologist was just a quack.

2nd one is just going to do an ultrasound to see if there is any swelling or blockage from this one, and we'll go from there.

I need to get a whole Ct follow up in May so that would show anything too.

Yeah every time I see this thread bumped I cringe and instantly feel sorry for the poor ******* that has to deal with a kidney stone.  I had one 5 years ago and it was by far the worst pain I have had in my life.  I tore my achilles tendon playing basketball 3 years ago and it was nothing compared to the kidney stone.

Woohoo, cleared out a massive stone near 4cm with one ESWL. Doc told me that it was likely to take multiple procedures and that he thought I was making a mistake by refusing a stent, but I showed him!

Well, looks like my stone went into hiding.  Instead of getting the ureteroscopy like the doc wanted me to do several weeks ago, I decided to ride it out.  I had a couple follow ups to check urine, blood, and x-ray.  Two weeks ago showed blood in urine, normal creatinine (doc wanted to go in since it had been elevated), and stone in the L4-5 region.  Doc again advised roto-rooter method, but I decided to wait.  Yesterday's follow up...no blood, normal creatinine, and no stone showing up on x-ray.  I have been pretty much pain free for about two weeks, but I have no other evidence of passing the stone.  I did pass a couple tiny fragments that I caught in a strainer BEFORE the x-ray two weeks ago.  But that x-ray still showed the stone.  I assume the particles were other debris rather than from the bigger stone in my ureter.

Anyway, it has been nice to be pain free, but now the doc wants to do another CT scan to either find the elusive stone or confirm it is gone.  So, although I have no kidney stone pain at the moment, I will have ball cancer to look forward to from all the radiation.

Well, looks like my stone went into hiding.  Instead of getting the ureteroscopy like the doc wanted me to do several weeks ago, I decided to ride it out.  I had a couple follow ups to check urine, blood, and x-ray.  Two weeks ago showed blood in urine, normal creatinine (doc wanted to go in since it had been elevated), and stone in the L4-5 region.  Doc again advised roto-rooter method, but I decided to wait.  Yesterday's follow up...no blood, normal creatinine, and no stone showing up on x-ray.  I have been pretty much pain free for about two weeks, but I have no other evidence of passing the stone.  I did pass a couple tiny fragments that I caught in a strainer BEFORE the x-ray two weeks ago.  But that x-ray still showed the stone.  I assume the particles were other debris rather than from the bigger stone in my ureter.

Anyway, it has been nice to be pain free, but now the doc wants to do another CT scan to either find the elusive stone or confirm it is gone.  So, although I have no kidney stone pain at the moment, I will have ball cancer to look forward to from all the radiation.
close to exactly my situation.. Been pain free for 4 months now.. Xray showed nothing, and I don't think I passed it, but mine was small to medium.  I got a 2nd opinion and am going with an ultrasound tomorrow to see if there is any blockage or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread