What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kidney Stones (3 Viewers)

I think I read that drinking lemonade helps prevent them. The water obviously helps but something about the lemon juice breaking up the calcium.

I think I read that drinking lemonade helps prevent them. The water obviously helps but something about the lemon juice breaking up the calcium.
That's odd, because, no lie, I drink lemonade at least once a day. I love that stuff. I wonder how "pure" the lemonade needs to be?

I have had several over the last 10-15 years. Some were pretty big (7mm) as far as I can tell. As has been said before, drink a ton of water. The pain of the first one was brutal and at the ER, they were ready to take out my appendix because they could not see the stone on the X-rays. Once you are aware of what it feels like, you can sense it coming on and can deal more easily with the excrutiating pain.

You also should collect the stone if you pass it and take it to the urologist. They can determine what type it is as there are implications to other issues. For example, if you have a calcium-based stone, but you don't have a ton of calcium that you take in, that calcium has to come from somewhere. So they will usually check your bone density to make sure that it is not affecting other things.

Definitely see the doctor about it, to make sure that you don't have other issues.

One weird thing from this past week: The nurse said that she gets them twice a year on average. Besides the obvious thinking "OUCH!", my next thought was, "Does she have to go to the ER two times a year?"

Do people that get them a lot always go to the ER? What other option is there? That seems incredibly expensive.

I've had two, and the worst part for me was as they left the kidney to begin a whole new Trail of Tears (as in ripping my ureters apart). I've told my story in the Worst Pain ever thread, but a lasting impression is that dilaudid is an amazing thing. Had it for my first stone, and I could have skipped out of the ER on that stuff. Passing the stone all the way out hurt, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The first was half the size of an apple seed, whereas the second was the size of a cooked grain of rice.

One weird thing from this past week: The nurse said that she gets them twice a year on average. Besides the obvious thinking "OUCH!", my next thought was, "Does she have to go to the ER two times a year?"

Do people that get them a lot always go to the ER? What other option is there? That seems incredibly expensive.
I only went the first time that I had one. Every other time, I drink a ton of water and take some Advil. Then I wait until it makes its way through the urinary tract and I pass it. If it did not move or I was in constant pain that would not let up, then I would go to the doctor to have it removed.

I've had 3. First one went to er... went home took a week to pass.second one never went to the hospital. ..my wife found me laying on the bathroom floor in the fetal position ...i passed it the next day

the 3rd on i stayed home I could feel it move just like I was just about to pass it and boom stuck in my bladder.

I waited a little and ended up in the ER...they had to go get it. My second one was huge

Do you feel them coming on? I sometimes am sore in the kidney areas when I don't drink enough water, but then I start really downing it. So far I have never had one.
I do. They start as a quick, sharp stabbing pain in my lower back a few days before they pass.

Do you feel them coming on? I sometimes am sore in the kidney areas when I don't drink enough water, but then I start really downing it. So far I have never had one.
I do. They start as a quick, sharp stabbing pain in my lower back a few days before they pass.
Wait. What you're describing is what I consider the kidney stone pain. :confused:
I've never felt the pain in my kidney. It wasn't until the slow journey that it really hurt. I felt mine more in my abdomen as it was moving

Wait. What you're describing is what I consider the kidney stone pain. :confused:
I've never felt the pain in my kidney. It wasn't until the slow journey that it really hurt. I felt mine more in my abdomen as it was moving
Weird. I have no pain pissing the stone out. All of my pain comes from the journey the stone takes from the kidney to the bladder. During that time, it feels like someone is jabbing a knife into my back over and over. I just crawl up into the fetal position, close my eyes, grit my teeth, and rock back and forth. Not sure it actually helps, but it definitely makes me feel like I'm doing something to stop the pain.

Weird. I have no pain pissing the stone out. All of my pain comes from the journey the stone takes from the kidney to the bladder. During that time, it feels like someone is jabbing a knife into my back over and over. I just crawl up into the fetal position, close my eyes, grit my teeth, and rock back and forth. Not sure it actually helps, but it definitely makes me feel like I'm doing something to stop the pain.
exactly. i had this happen (again) last Friday. still no stone to date. can't wait for the horror-show which will be The Passage.

I look forward to the pissing it out portion. The movement through the kidneys is the painful part. Once it makes it to the end and it is ready to be passed, I just start pounding the water so that there can be plenty of a fluid to push it through. There is then a little that comes out, some blockage of the fluid and then "BAM" the flood gates open.

I look forward to the pissing it out portion. The movement through the kidneys is the painful part. Once it makes it to the end and it is ready to be passed, I just start pounding the water so that there can be plenty of a fluid to push it through. There is then a little that comes out, some blockage of the fluid and then "BAM" the flood gates open.
Yup. And the piss is usually dark yellow and as cloudy as milk.

You might want to get that checked out. If your piss is dark yellow and cloudy, that could be a problem. :unsure:

When I pound water and really get my kidneys filled, the piss is almost clear by the time it comes out.

You might want to get that checked out. If your piss is dark yellow and cloudy, that could be a problem. :unsure:

When I pound water and really get my kidneys filled, the piss is almost clear by the time it comes out.
It's not anymore. Once it got to the bladder, I had an urge to pee like never before. But nothing would come out. For 12 hours it felt like that. Then... BAM! The flood gates opened and I pissed like a race horse. That's when it was dark and cloudy. I assume that was all of the blood that was in there from the stone tearing up my tubes. After that, my pee has been normal.

I have to go to the urologist here still. I have been feeling like crap ever since I had the stone. Like sick to my stomach. I go see my normal doc tomorrow so I'll ask about it then. Hopefully I'm not dying. Or worse, getting ready to have another kidney stone.

Been a hell of a year for ya Sheik.
No joke.

I was just starting to make some gains money-wise and then I got my medical bills. Apparently I missed out on this whole Obamacare thing. I gotta think there's good things coming to me for the second half of the year.

On the bright side, I've hit my deductible for the year.

Try standing/walking some if you can. Let gravity do its thing.

I've had about a dozen of varying degrees. Worst one sounds similar to others with peeing burning blood for a couple weeks.

The last few have not been bad, especially after I started getting a prescription for some drug that loosens and relaxes the tubes. I forget the name but the last stone came quickly and was killing me while I drove home. I pulled into an ER and told them Exactly what I had and what I need (which I now forget). It's a pill you take once per day. The last two stones have passed after one or two pills and not been nearly as painful as years gone by. I think it is some kind of alpha-blocker. If you get a kidney stone, ASK FOR THESE!

I never drank much milk. I started drinking more water than anyone. Still happens. For me, I think it's just my body or something and am unable to prevent.

It's 2-part for me. The quick pains in the lower back signal it's getting ready to pass. Then a few days later the real pain starts when it moves from kidney to bladder. I feel that pain on the front side and comes in waves for hours if I don't have any pain medication.

I just found out I'm a member of the club today. Yeah it sucks to get one but I'm also relieved it's not something more serious like cancer or something.

As someone said previously, I only went to the ER for the first one. I'm not sure if it's because that first one loosened up the tube or I'm just more used to the pain, but none of the others have been as excruciating as that first one. Knowing that the hospital isn't going to do anything other than give me a pain killer, I just take an advil or two and down water when one starts leaving the kidney. I'm interested in learning more about this pill Mike is talking about that may make it easier for them to go through. I currently have a big one in me for probably two years, too big to pass, and I haven't don't anything about it because Kaiser wanted me to pay $5,500 in addition to what the insurance covers in order to get a lithotripsy (non-invasive shock-wave procedure that I've had once before). It doesn't bother me too much just chilling in the kidney.

Quez, what you describe sounds to me like you do have a stone that is either too big to pass or in a spot where it's not ready to pass.

As someone said previously, I only went to the ER for the first one. I'm not sure if it's because that first one loosened up the tube or I'm just more used to the pain, but none of the others have been as excruciating as that first one. Knowing that the hospital isn't going to do anything other than give me a pain killer, I just take an advil or two and down water when one starts leaving the kidney. I'm interested in learning more about this pill Mike is talking about that may make it easier for them to go through. I currently have a big one in me for probably two years, too big to pass, and I haven't don't anything about it because Kaiser wanted me to pay $5,500 in addition to what the insurance covers in order to get a lithotripsy (non-invasive shock-wave procedure that I've had once before). It doesn't bother me too much just chilling in the kidney.

Quez, what you describe sounds to me like you do have a stone that is either too big to pass or in a spot where it's not ready to pass.
my doc prescribed Flowmax (pill) and i'm sure it made the passage from bladder through the urethra much easier.

not sure if this is the same pill though.

Shrugs how do you tell one is leaving the kidney. They told me mine is 3-6 mm from the CT scan. I got pain pills and sulfamethoxazole from my doctor but no flomax. Should I ask for that too?

Shrugs how do you tell one is leaving the kidney. They told me mine is 3-6 mm from the CT scan. I got pain pills and sulfamethoxazole from my doctor but no flomax. Should I ask for that too?
When you have sharp pain in your lower back. That's the pain from it going down the ridiculously tiny tube between kidney and bladder. Sounds like Flomax would help. Just wait for the sharp pain to start and then drink tons of water and take the stuff. Don't take before then. The stone stuck in me for the past couple years was 18mm last time I checked, and that was a year ago.

When you have sharp pain in your lower back. That's the pain from it going down the ridiculously tiny tube between kidney and bladder. Sounds like Flomax would help. Just wait for the sharp pain to start and then drink tons of water and take the stuff. Don't take before then. The stone stuck in me for the past couple years was 18mm last time I checked, and that was a year ago.
pain in lower back = stone moving from kidney, through ureter (aka ridiculous thin tube) to bladder. pain management = prescription painkiller (hydrocodone, etc).

pain in testes/frequent urge to urinate/limited or no urine flow = stone moving from bladder, through urethra, and preparing to leave system. this is where Flowmax (aka Tamsulosin, alpha blocker Mike mentioned above) helps as it relaxes the muscles in and around the bladder and prostate, allowing for better urine flow and ease of passage.

Meh, never needed anything to make travel through urethra better. It's the travel through ureter that would be nice to improve.

I gave birth to a bouncing 10-15 mm stone about 8:30 this morning. I've never heard a nicer sound than that thing coming out and hitting the strainer. I had lithotripsy about 5 days ago. What came out was big. It doesn't seem like they broke it up much.

I just keep a supply of vicodin or percoset nearby.

I gave birth to a bouncing 10-15 mm stone about 8:30 this morning. I've never heard a nicer sound than that thing coming out and hitting the strainer. I had lithotripsy about 5 days ago. What came out was big. It doesn't seem like they broke it up much.
That's weird. When I had a lithotripsy, it was raining stone fragments beginning the next day and going for seven days.

You guys that have passed a stone....after you took it in and found out the type, did you make changes to your diet? If so, were you able to prevent another one from forming. I'm fairly sure mine will be an oxalate from comparing what it looks like to google images and knowing what my diet has been.

You guys that have passed a stone....after you took it in and found out the type, did you make changes to your diet? If so, were you able to prevent another one from forming. I'm fairly sure mine will be an oxalate from comparing what it looks like to google images and knowing what my diet has been.
They've really never given me good advice on what to definitively avoid. If you avoid everything people out there say causes kidney stones, all you'll be left with is water.

Shrugs said:
NREC34 said:
They've really never given me good advice on what to definitively avoid. If you avoid everything people out there say causes kidney stones, all you'll be left with is water.
Yeah, I think this one falls under educated guesswork.

NREC34 said:
Mine were calcium based and there was no indication that it had anything due to diet. I have to drink more water and there was a direct correlation to stones forming when not doing so.

NREC34 said:
Mine were calcium based and there was no indication that it had anything due to diet. I have to drink more water and there was a direct correlation to stones forming when not doing so.
I think that's probably the main reason why I got mine. Went on a big weight loss kick at new year and started drinking loads of black coffee where I didn't before. Didn't drink enough water. I've also read spinach and beets can cause them which I've had more of. Beets in the form of v-8 juice.

Over the 14 years I've gotten stones (calcium based), I've tried different things in my diet. I've cut out sodas and drank nothing but water six days out of the week for years. I've eliminated milk and stopped snacking regularly on nuts. I've tried to lessen my sodium intake. Can't say any of them made a difference.

NREC34 said:
Over the 14 years I've gotten stones (calcium based), I've tried different things in my diet. I've cut out sodas and drank nothing but water six days out of the week for years. I've eliminated milk and stopped snacking regularly on nuts. I've tried to lessen my sodium intake. Can't say any of them made a difference.
Would either of you happen to pop antacids like they're candy?

About a year ago I was going through a bout of heartburn at night that was keeping me awake, so I was popping 3-4 a night for a good week. No bueno. Those suckers can calcify and cause stones.

I was sitting at work one night and thought I was having some simple back pain, but then I got the sweats and almost threw up a couple times because of the pain. It eventually went away, but came back twice in the same week, the second and third times being even more painful.

It's usually a bad thing to do for medical related stuff, but I Googled and found a homeopathic solution. I basically drank a crap-ton of diluted apple cider vinegar and I'll be damned if the painful episodes stopped cold in their tracks.

Good luck to all those that are dealing with these bastards.

So you think that disolved the stone so it never had to pass? Seems doubtful. If you had a stone and it never passed, it's most likely still in you but not in a place where it's causing discomfort. I've never taken an antacid.

So you think that disolved the stone so it never had to pass? Seems doubtful. If you had a stone and it never passed, it's most likely still in you but not in a place where it's causing discomfort. I've never taken an antacid.
Not sure. I was having some much milder back pain a few months after my episodes and thought it was the stones flaring up. Went to the Dr. and had an ultrasound and they found nothing.

NREC34 said:
Would either of you happen to pop antacids like they're candy?

About a year ago I was going through a bout of heartburn at night that was keeping me awake, so I was popping 3-4 a night for a good week. No bueno. Those suckers can calcify and cause stones.

I was sitting at work one night and thought I was having some simple back pain, but then I got the sweats and almost threw up a couple times because of the pain. It eventually went away, but came back twice in the same week, the second and third times being even more painful.

It's usually a bad thing to do for medical related stuff, but I Googled and found a homeopathic solution. I basically drank a crap-ton of diluted apple cider vinegar and I'll be damned if the painful episodes stopped cold in their tracks.

Good luck to all those that are dealing with these bastards.
Nope. I don't really take in much calcium at all. I take in so little that they did bone density tests to make sure that I was not taking calcium from my bones. No issues, so it is more that I was not retaining calcium at all.

I think I've got one of these buggers right now. There's a constant dull pain on my left side, and I can't pee even though it feels like my bladder is full. I have no pain pills on hand. I could try to drive to the hospital but I'm not sure if I could drive through the pain.

Thanks for the encouragement. :unsure: They better not try to stick anything up my junk unless I'm comatose.
If they don't offer it to you, ask the doc for some Pyridium. It's a drug that numbs the urinary tract and prevents that "peeing razors" feeling that lasts for a little while after they go through the pee hole with the basket thing to remove the stone. One side effect: It turns your urine bright orange. Also, if they leave you with a stent that has the string attached hanging out of your pee hole be REALLY careful with that string. I caught the looped end of the string with the corner of my towel after a shower and it pulled the stent into the bladder sphincter. There was this crazy shockwave of pain followed by uncontrollable dripping of urine. It was a Sunday so I called the urologist's emergency number and he told me I would have to just remove the stent myself. Couple shots of Jameson later I grabbed that string and pulled. Possibly the most ridiculous afternoon of my life. Fun times. Good luck man. Wouldn't with that on my worst enemy.
:shock:

Maybe go with something like this next time.

Users who are viewing this thread