What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keenan Allen (1 Viewer)

Why ins't Keenan Allen considered an elite prospect? It seems like the guy has everything with the exception of blazing inline speed. He has size, hands, shiftiness, vision, balance, very nice vertical, and nice explosion off the line. He should still run a decent forty in the low 4.5's He's hands down the 1.01 dynasty rookie pick IMO and there is no reason he can't turn out to be an elite WR like Julio and AJ Green have. Why is there no love for this guy?

Why ins't Keenan Allen considered an elite prospect? It seems like the guy has everything with the exception of blazing inline speed. He has size, hands, shiftiness, vision, balance, very nice vertical, and nice explosion off the line. He should still run a decent forty in the low 4.5's He's hands down the 1.01 dynasty rookie pick IMO and there is no reason he can't turn out to be an elite WR like Julio and AJ Green have. Why is there no love for this guy?
He has never had more than 6 TDs in a year, missed the 2nd half of 2012 season with a knee injury, plays for a nationally below the radar west coast team, isn't fast, he has only had one 100 yard game since October 13, 2011, etc. There are many reasons.

Lack of speed and strength. He has just average speed. He's tall, but not very strong. Not like a Thomas, Marshall, or even Julio.

He has never had more than 6 TDs in a year, missed the 2nd half of 2012 season with a knee injury, plays for a nationally below the radar west coast team, isn't fast, he has only had one 100 yard game since October 13, 2011, etc. There are many reasons.
Have you seen his QB play? It's his half brother and he's terrible, that's the reason for production issues.100 yard games: He had one on 10/13/2012, so you're wrong.In 2011 Allen had five games of 100 yards or more. He had six games between 78 yards - 97 yards. TheMissed the second half of the season? He missed the last 3 games.

Why is there no love for this guy?
When you say no love for this guy do you mean from FBG people or in general? Because he seems to have plenty of love in general. I've seen multiple rankings from so called "experts" ranking him as the best WR in the draft. I've seen him recently listed as being the 6th best overall player in the draft.

1.01 clearly goes to RB in my opinion. Bernard or Lacy, probably depending on landing spot. As for Allen he's probably in my 6-8 range but I'm not picking there so I don't plan on taking him at all ha

'Carl Eller said:
I would rather wait for a WR if you need/want one than to take him 1.01.
Who will be the 1.01 then?
Lattimore. Flame away.
No way I'm touching Lattimore after that knee injury. I don't think he'll go in the NFL draft until round 4.BTW - what does flame away mean?
I think it means he expects a lot of passionate disagreement. Or perhaps Goat Herders thinks he is the human torch. If an injured RB is going to be the 1st overall FF rookie pick that is kind of the same as saying this rookie crop sucks then.

'Carl Eller said:
Lattimore. Flame away.
No way I'm touching Lattimore after that knee injury. I don't think he'll go in the NFL draft until round 4.BTW - what does flame away mean?
I think it means he expects a lot of passionate disagreement. Or perhaps Goat Herders thinks he is the human torch. If an injured RB is going to be the 1st overall FF rookie pick that is kind of the same as saying this rookie crop sucks then.
There was discussion in 2003 about Mcgehee being the top rookie pick and that was in a draft with a surefire franchise qb in Palmer and two other quarterbacks selected in the top 22. That draft had two receivers in the top 4 and a lot of wr and rb depth through the first four rounds. And Dallas Clark. Not to say lattimore = Mcgehee but considering this draft is absent a "top" positional prospect I don't see why lattimore is any more or less worthy of our regard than some other guys.

'Carl Eller said:
Lattimore. Flame away.
There was discussion in 2003 about Mcgehee being the top rookie pick and that was in a draft with a surefire franchise qb in Palmer and two other quarterbacks selected in the top 22. That draft had two receivers in the top 4 and a lot of wr and rb depth through the first four rounds. And Dallas Clark. Not to say lattimore = Mcgehee but considering this draft is absent a "top" positional prospect I don't see why lattimore is any more or less worthy of our regard than some other guys.
This made me think of McGahee too so I looked at the RBs from that year-1 23 Willis McGahee RB Miami (Fla.) Buffalo Bills1 27 Larry Johnson RB Penn State Kansas City Chiefs3 77 Musa Smith RB Georgia Baltimore Ravens3 85 B.J. Askew FB Michigan New York Jets3 93 Chris Brown RB Colorado Tennessee Titans3 96 Justin Fargas RB USC Oakland Raiders4 99 Artose Pinner RB Kentucky Detroit Lions4 101 Domanick Williams RB Louisiana State Houston Texans4 105 Onterrio Smith RB Oregon Minnesota Vikings4 108 Quentin Griffin RB Oklahoma Denver Broncos4 115 Lee Suggs RB Virginia Tech Cleveland Browns4 118 Jeremi Johnson FB Western Kentucky Cincinnati Bengals4 121 Justin Griffith FB Mississippi State Atlanta Falcons4 132 LaBrandon Toefield RB Louisiana State Jacksonville JaguarsThis was a terrible RB class. I think there are other quality RB in 2013 who will likely be drafted higher than Lattimore in the NFL draft.

'Carl Eller said:
Lattimore. Flame away.
This made me think of McGahee too so I looked at the RBs from that year-1 23 Willis McGahee RB Miami (Fla.) Buffalo Bills1 27 Larry Johnson RB Penn State Kansas City Chiefs3 77 Musa Smith RB Georgia Baltimore Ravens3 85 B.J. Askew FB Michigan New York Jets3 93 Chris Brown RB Colorado Tennessee Titans3 96 Justin Fargas RB USC Oakland Raiders4 99 Artose Pinner RB Kentucky Detroit Lions4 101 Domanick Williams RB Louisiana State Houston Texans4 105 Onterrio Smith RB Oregon Minnesota Vikings4 108 Quentin Griffin RB Oklahoma Denver Broncos4 115 Lee Suggs RB Virginia Tech Cleveland Browns4 118 Jeremi Johnson FB Western Kentucky Cincinnati Bengals4 121 Justin Griffith FB Mississippi State Atlanta Falcons4 132 LaBrandon Toefield RB Louisiana State Jacksonville JaguarsThis was a terrible RB class. I think there are other quality RB in 2013 who will likely be drafted higher than Lattimore in the NFL draft.
Turned out to be terrible, but at the time I remember some people jumping all over Musa Smith, Chris Brown, Fargas and Onterrio Smith.

'Carl Eller said:
Lattimore. Flame away.
Turned out to be terrible, but at the time I remember some people jumping all over Musa Smith, Chris Brown, Fargas and Onterrio Smith.
And don't forget Artose Pinner.

I don't play any dynasty FF, but his QB at Cal (his half-brother) is really remarkably bad (like someone already said, I'm seconding his comment). I don't know how much of those low statistics you can put on Allen.

Having a bad QB or not and looking past the numbers, watching footage of Allen, I don't see that he's clearly that much better than Hopkins, Wilson, or Wheaton.

McGahee was a 1st round pick, and the first RB taken off the board. If Marcus Lattimore gets drafted before Eddie Lacy somewhere in the mid-to-late 1st round, he will absolutely have a case to be made for the #1 overall rookie pick. If, as projected, he winds up going in the 4th... well then, bringing up McGahee is comparing apples and dump trucks.

Most top NFL receivers have standout speed and/or strength. Allen doesn't have either of those things. His height/weight ratio would put him on the very low end of the scale compared to successful NFL receivers. His speed is average at best. So what is it about him that's going to give him an advantage over NFL defensive backs? He has good initial quickness, height, hands, and instincts. That might be enough for him to be successful. The lack of standout physical qualities is clearly what's keeping him from being an elite WR prospect though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Allen is a very good prospect. However I want to see that he is recovered from that PCL before getting too excited about him.

Most top NFL receivers have standout speed and/or strength. Allen doesn't have either of those things. His height/weight ratio would put him on the very low end of the scale compared to successful NFL receivers. His speed is average at best. So what is it about him that's going to give him an advantage over NFL defensive backs? He has good initial quickness, height, hands, and instincts. That might be enough for him to be successful. The lack of standout physical qualities is clearly what's keeping him from being an elite WR prospect though.
This is probably the most fair assessment of Allen ive seen. I do think he runs good routes, part of that initial quickness and instincts you talk about. Ability to find space on curls and seems and quickly stop on hitches etc is an underrated asset. And as someone else mentioned, that injury really makes him a little harder to project. Im interested to see how he looks/runs in workouts

Keenan Allen plays with good balance? Completely disagree.
care to go into more depth with this? i think majority of NFL scouts (and people here) disagree with you.
Here's a good write up I found that sums up a lot of my own feelings on Allen, and touches on his balance as a runner as well:

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/how-good-is-california-receiver-keenan-allen
the balance talk is way off imo. the reason why he's falling over half the time is because the throws he's getting are off target. i think the long gainers also have alot to do with maynard... he is a limited QB who can't get the ball down the field, that's not the WR's fault.

other than that i agree with alot of what is said in there, though i think bloggers that don't proofread their work lose a bit of credibility haha.

werdnoynek said:
LTF said:
werdnoynek said:
LTF said:
Keenan Allen plays with good balance? Completely disagree.
care to go into more depth with this? i think majority of NFL scouts (and people here) disagree with you.
Here's a good write up I found that sums up a lot of my own feelings on Allen, and touches on his balance as a runner as well:

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/how-good-is-california-receiver-keenan-allen
the balance talk is way off imo. the reason why he's falling over half the time is because the throws he's getting are off target. i think the long gainers also have alot to do with maynard... he is a limited QB who can't get the ball down the field, that's not the WR's fault.

other than that i agree with alot of what is said in there, though i think bloggers that don't proofread their work lose a bit of credibility haha.
I will say Allen is the hardest WR to evaluate because of how truly awful and limited Maynard was. It's really tough to judge Allen to his peers when Patterson/Hunter, Hopkins, Austin/Bailey, Woods, ect... had legit NFL QB prospects throwing them the ball. I just thought Allen was really slippery (in a bad way) in the situations where he was trying to cut with the ball in his hands. Maybe he just looks worse comparing his tape to Patterson, whose one of the best open field cutters at WR that I've seen. But coupled with the concerns on his speed/explosion I see it as a valid concern, especially if he ends up being more of a possession guy who really needs to depend on YAC.

Users who are viewing this thread